Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

wh... why is the rating "mostly negative" I've never seen that before in my life

People that were upset about getting banned for cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I said come in! posted:

if anyone is craving a super old school MMORPG, I started playing Ashen Empires https://store.steampowered.com/app/937380/Ashen_Empires/ today on the PvE only server.

Can you sell me on it I need something to grind before it’s back to work after the holidays

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sailormoon posted:

Can you sell me on it I need something to grind before it’s back to work after the holidays

It's like those pre-Ultima Online MMORPG's on AOL that charged $20 an hour to play over your 56K modem. It has a lot of inspiration from UO, but is actually I think a modern day MMO made in 2022, but intentionally made old school with some quality of life mechanics thrown in to make it not too annoying to play. It has both a PvP open world server, and a PvE server to choose from, you drop everything when you die, and you level up skills. There aren't really any quests, and it's a sandbox game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a new MMORPG coming out next year called Throne and Liberty. The big problem is that the publisher is NCSoft, so I don't know how I really feel about it. NCSoft is an awful MMO publisher that tends to maintenance mode their MMOs very quickly. Their communication, and support with the playerbase is also terrible. The game though looks amazing.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 30, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its also hitting every MMO red flag. Huge focus on a graphically intense art style, promise of epic PvP, Korean, NCSoft, just the whole list of too-good-to-be-true features.

This developer reveal is almost entirely promising exciting features while not showing any concrete gameplay which I don't consider a good sign for a game releasing in the next six months.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

It's like those pre-Ultima Online MMORPG's on AOL that charged $20 an hour to play over your 56K modem. It has a lot of inspiration from UO, but is actually I think a modern day MMO made in 2022, but intentionally made old school with some quality of life mechanics thrown in to make it not too annoying to play. It has both a PvP open world server, and a PvE server to choose from, you drop everything when you die, and you level up skills. There aren't really any quests, and it's a sandbox game.

I played this, it's good. Kinda makes me think of old school runescape except (slightly) less unresponsive controls. I played with the leadership skill which sucks but is fun. One thing to keep in mind, the click to move is all hosed up so just use WASD unless you want your character running around like a wacko for no reason.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There is a new MMORPG coming out next year called Throne and Liberty. The big problem is that the publisher is NCSoft, so I don't know how I really feel about it. NCSoft is an awful MMO publisher that tends to maintenance mode their MMOs very quickly. Their communication, and support with the playerbase is also terrible. The game though looks amazing.

This game sounds like a disaster that they are shoving out the door just to recoup some of the costs. Development started in 2011-ish as a Lineage sequel using the Guild Wars 2 engine but rebooted a couple of times and now using Unreal Engine 4. I would not be surprised if this launches with several tiers of expensive "Founder's" packages. Hype up the game, get the MMO addicts to buy into it and then abandon the game after a year.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

People say BDO is a solo fest, but is it possible/convenient for two people to play together?

the biggest problem bdo has that levels don't matter, gear does. also you can't trade with your friend lmao

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lt. Lizard posted:

BDO has incredible character creation, great visual presentation and very cool and satisfying basic gameplay and, with this great core for MMORPG, it... proceeds to do absolutely nothing with it, outside of copying some of the most basic trappings of the genre and calling it a day.
You left out that it has a cool world/travel system, seemingly cool life skill/economy, but after you play for about 100 hours you realize there are puddles deeper than most of its mechanics. :(

BDO is a game where someone laid a foundation & flooring for a grand palace and then handed a child a handful of rocks and a box of popsicle sticks to finish the rest.

It used to ask for $150-$300 upfront too during the honeymoon phase to not have your time wasted, so I'm fairly sure the developers knew. (note: my impressions are from 2017 or so and outdated by 5 years)

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 30, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It should take you like 3 hours to find that out

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im one of those people that dropped 150 for the pre realse of BDO.

I did so because it boasted better trade than archeage.

it does not have better trade than archeage.

I think i got to maybe the next city or whatver it was and it had too many "this shouldnt be a 'feature' in an MMO, every other mmo in the last 5 years has dropped this because it sucks.."

I think the best part of the game the afk fishing.....

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well, I think I’m bouncing off SWTOR already for the same reason I bounce off almost every mmo: overworld questing is mind numbingly easy. Apparently they nerfed the difficulty when the game went F2P for reasons, and it was never that difficult to begin with. That combined with double XP gains means I enter every zone already at max level for the area, I’m geared up the wazoo, and the game threw and automatic healing bot at me within the first hour of gameplay. I chain pull packs of 20+ mobs including many elites (or whatever they call them in this game), and they’re all dead within ten seconds and my HP never drops below 95%. I have only died once and that was to a world boss with 1.5 million HP that I engaged out of desperate curiosity.

Apparently there’s some difficulty to be found in some of the instance content, but people rush through them like it’s a race just like every other mmo. Not interested.

Alas. Guess it’s back to SP games again until some new disappointment releases in this genre.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Apparently there’s some difficulty to be found in some of the instance content, but people rush through them like it’s a race just like every other mmo. Not interested.

I absolutely hate this. I started a new character on FFXIV (having not played since the beginning of Heavensward) and much to my disappointment, dungeon runs mean the tank runs through 1/4 the dungeon at a time collecting as many mobs as possible while chanting gogogogogogo which leaves zero room for enjoyment.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yep. I had exactly the same experience in LOTRO when I popped into it recently. I honestly think the only way one can enjoy mmo instances at this point is to either embrace the race, or run them a few times when they’re ABSOLUTELY brand new and no one has had time to figure them out yet, which provides a window of roughly one week at best.

Or get a likeminded group of friends to run instances with, but now that I’m an adult with responsibilities it’s tough to find the time, hence why I rely heavily and judge a game mainly on its overworld content.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 31, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Or get a likeminded group of friends to run instances with, but now that I’m an adult with responsibilities it’s tough to find the time, hence why I rely heavily and judge a game mainly on its overworld content.

This is exactly what we’re going to do. My wife wants to get back into playing, and a friend as well. We already decided I can tank, friend can heal, and wife will dps. This means we’ll be able to run content on our own terms!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

LuckyCat posted:

I absolutely hate this. I started a new character on FFXIV (having not played since the beginning of Heavensward) and much to my disappointment, dungeon runs mean the tank runs through 1/4 the dungeon at a time collecting as many mobs as possible while chanting gogogogogogo which leaves zero room for enjoyment.

in swtor, the dungeons are much longer than say in ffxiv

and swtor has a solo story mode in case you want story

otherwise, besides the fights, you also have to deal with conversations, waiting for someone who doesn't skip them, and then waiting for all 4 people to make a choice for each part of the conversation

in ffxiv, as a tank, I run through things because I want to tank a lot of stuff
in swtor, you do it to save 30 minutes

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

in ffxiv you also tank 50000 mobs at once so the healer doesn't fall asleep

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

blatman posted:

in ffxiv you also tank 50000 mobs at once so the healer doesn't fall asleep

But spamming your one AoE button is so interesting!

Also,

kedo posted:

Yep. I had exactly the same experience in LOTRO when I popped into it recently. I honestly think the only way one can enjoy mmo instances at this point is to either embrace the race, or run them a few times when they’re ABSOLUTELY brand new and no one has had time to figure them out yet, which provides a window of roughly one week at best.

I assure you instances being brand new does not stop being from rushing through them. For example, Dragonflight came out and people still rushed through those dungeons as much as they could.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

yknow maybe the reason I bounce off of so many MMOs is cause I have no friends.

Better try 2 or 3 more just to be sure

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

think of mmos as one generations third space

like how malls are a boomers third space

they were never good, just a social area that isn't needed anymore

Pryce
May 21, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

So this is weird (and I don’t like it), but most FFXIV dungeons are intentionally designed this way. There’s always a locked door a couple pulls in so the idea is that you can pull two or three groups to the next “door”, kill them all, then the door opens and you move on.

I think some of the earlier dungeons don’t actually have the “locked door” design so you can pull all the way to a boss, but everything post-ARR seems to be specifically built to support playing that way. I’m not a fan but at least it feels slightly better knowing that it’s not entirely some massive speed run strat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

It's not how I'd best like the dungeons to work but if you do single pulls in those dungeons you can usually go make a cup of tea as the healer, come back and find your tank still alive. Chain pulling is the only situation where you have to use your buttons at least a little thoughtfully, and to me the most fun because of that

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I really like and hate playing my warrior in that game since they have so much self healing, it makes healers have to do even less work.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pryce posted:

So this is weird (and I don’t like it), but most FFXIV dungeons are intentionally designed this way. There’s always a locked door a couple pulls in so the idea is that you can pull two or three groups to the next “door”, kill them all, then the door opens and you move on.

I think some of the earlier dungeons don’t actually have the “locked door” design so you can pull all the way to a boss, but everything post-ARR seems to be specifically built to support playing that way. I’m not a fan but at least it feels slightly better knowing that it’s not entirely some massive speed run strat.

ARR doesn't have this at all, really. They start doing it in Heavensward and then Stormblood on they settle into the "two pulls and a wall to make you kill them" formula (with a couple of odd pulls here or there that don't). I think it was a matter of seeing how players wanted to do things and designing to that instead of trying to force otherwise, and knowing it's going to be two pulls gives them something they can balance around. ARR is INCREDIBLY lethal for wall-pulling because there's so many guys and nobody has the tools they do later, you really need to know your limits.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I mostly played DPS but seeing folks try and do wall pulling in low level content before DPS have their AOE rotations online feels real, real bad.
As soon as I had my toolset though I ended up preferring it, the mechanical interest to me lies solely in the boss fights. Quite honestly if you excised trash packs completely so that a dungeon was just a series of pretty corridors that connected boss fights, I'd be 100% fine with it. I accept that's not going to be a universal opinion.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hellioning posted:

But spamming your one AoE button is so interesting!

to be fair i usually have to weave heals or mitigations in-between those aoe button presses, at least on big trash pulls

I play almost exclusively sage and scholar, so I don't think most players even realize I'm actually healing outside of kardia or fairy heals because they have an absurd amount of ogcd buttons to weave between those aoe attacks

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Gotta play astrologian so you have to work for your heals and keep your apm high

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LuckyCat posted:

I have several problems with FFXIV, but this is something they've done a really good job addressing in the community. If you post that it's your first time in the dungeon, almost everyone will slow down and give you time to see how it works and what the layout is like. At least that's the way it was when I played. Since then FFXIV absorbed a bunch of WoW tryhards, but I'd expect the community norms to still largely be in place.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I hope playing with your social circle works out for you!

Bruceski posted:

ARR doesn't have this at all, really. They start doing it in Heavensward and then Stormblood on they settle into the "two pulls and a wall to make you kill them" formula (with a couple of odd pulls here or there that don't). I think it was a matter of seeing how players wanted to do things and designing to that instead of trying to force otherwise, and knowing it's going to be two pulls gives them something they can balance around. ARR is INCREDIBLY lethal for wall-pulling because there's so many guys and nobody has the tools they do later, you really need to know your limits.

The very first three dungeons in FFXIV it's traditional (when there are no new players) to chain pull as many as the tank thinks they can handle. I didn't play for long but even I got to the point where it was at most 2 pulls between bosses for me. It was a fun way to get better at managing threat and keeping an eye on how my healer was doing for me.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 4, 2023

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

I mostly played DPS but seeing folks try and do wall pulling in low level content before DPS have their AOE rotations online feels real, real bad.
As soon as I had my toolset though I ended up preferring it, the mechanical interest to me lies solely in the boss fights. Quite honestly if you excised trash packs completely so that a dungeon was just a series of pretty corridors that connected boss fights, I'd be 100% fine with it. I accept that's not going to be a universal opinion.

The Secret World did this, with just a couple of token trash mobs in each corridor, and it was one of the things they got right. Dungeons were basically one boss fight after another.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
GW2 does that with raids and it's amazing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the different kinds of content in ffxiv are intentionally paced in different ways to present different obstacles and represent different scales of conflict. dungeons specifically provide very different healing rhythm during wall pulls than most bosses do and evoke the feeling that you are fighting through an environment that is putting up resistance to your progress.

dungeons aren't just a sequence of bosses, they're a tiny self-contained adventure in flavor and pace, pared down and streamlined to essential components.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

correct, also wrong, as early dungeons SUCK rear end

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

By early dungeons I mean the first 60 levels worth or so

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Third World Reagan posted:

By early dungeons I mean the first 60 levels worth or so

the vault is pretty good but otherwise yes

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if I could somehow ilvl cheese to only get higher level dungeons id actually run leveling roulette

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

correct, also wrong, as early dungeons SUCK rear end

i like some of them

aurum vale's first room is different from like every other dungeon in the game and i have a soft spot for the chaos it brings to the table

i think keeper of the lake is pretty exceptional for where it is in the game even if players targeted by the blimp boss can make that harder than it needs to be by making 7/8 of the arena lava

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 2, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

frog cliffs in dzemael in a roulette group is the scariest thing in the game

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Xiv dungeons are just a worse version of guild wars 1 you have to play/grind through to do the fun savage and extreme content

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
There’s a name I haven’t heard in a bit

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1613274886146871309?s=46&t=bcMLV-HEQuuPN3ZzNj7elg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I wish I could know what exactly was going on inside Amazon's gaming division. I don't know how it could have produced so little of worth after all this time.