Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If we are all under the assumption that we are talking about the same thing (the government) then what is need to clarify? If I say India is fascist we all know I’m talking about the government. What makes Ukraine so different here?

No, we don't all know that you're talking about the government. That's why you need to clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh I kept reading and it looks like that was a post that created arguments huh. it seemed straight forward

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Majorian posted:

No, we don't all know that you're talking about the government. That's why you need to clarify.

So just to be clear even in the context of a politics subforum you are unclear if I’m talking about the government or the people of the country in that context?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

paul_soccer12 posted:

In what currency does China presently buy OPEC oil

More important than this is where Iraq keeps its money. Which is in an account at the New York Fed.

An account the US threatened to freeze after the Iraq Parliament voted to expel US troops from the country.

The US did freeze Iraq's access to its currency account in 2015 and threatened to do so it 2008 as well.

The US prefers to control and seize the profits of production instead of the means.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

you could say the same of the bmp2 or the vast majority of other ifvs in the world. ifvs in general face a lot of threats designed to easily take them out.

The advantage of Soviet ifvs is that the Ukrainians may at least have a shot at keeping them operable, I am very skeptical if this is the case with the Bradley. It is also just physically a larger vehicle which I don’t know if it is to its benefit.

That said, I want to see a conventional warfare circumstance is was more or less designed for. The same for the Abrams if they ever take those hulls out of the desert.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Dec 30, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

So just to be clear even in the context of a politics subforum you are unclear if I’m talking about the government or the people of the country in that context?

Yup, it unfortunately wouldn't be the first post that someone has made on these forums that has made a weird essentialist claim about an entire ethnicity or nationality.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

Here, this is in the OP of the very thread you're posting in: (Azathoth's words, not mine)

That's the guideline that this thread is operating off of.

Complain to the mods who do that, I guess? Because I don't.

when people are discussing differences and you post “no those are the same” you’re implicitly saying “shut up stop discussing those nuances”. it has a flattening effect on discussions of scope or effects.

Majorian posted:

thanks this helps a lot. so for example:
“nazi germany” = wrong, punishable
“nazi (government not the people) germany” = correct, okay to use in historical discussions? same for finland, north korea, etc?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bagual posted:

All capitalist states are morally abhorrent by nature, but by calling them all equivalent empires you're just excusing the biggest baddest most racist and powerful one of them all, the supranational western aka white bloc.

Yep.

Saying that it's okay to say the world's hegemon has a global policy of installing fascist puppet states, but that regional powers resisting that cannot be called anti-fascist or anti-imperialist is incoherent.

It's the kind of hair-splitting designed to please idiots outside this forum, but has no basis in reality.

Now, if you want to say that regional actors seeking to turn back the US imperial project also do so for their (ruling classes') own benefit, this is obviously true. There are no altruists here.

But this rhetorical weight drags down any attempt to understand what's going on in Ukraine or how it got this hosed up.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobotomy molo posted:

when people are discussing differences and you post “no those are the same” you’re implicitly saying “shut up stop discussing those nuances”. it has a flattening effect on discussions of scope or effects.

I have not posted "no those are the same." You've made this claim before; it wasn't true then, and it still isn't true now.

quote:

thanks this helps a lot. so for example:
“nazi germany” = wrong, punishable
“nazi (government not the people) germany” = correct, okay to use in historical discussions? same for finland, north korea, etc?

"Nazi Germany" pretty clearly refers to the Nazi state/system of government/sociopolitical arrangement, IMO. I don't think there's anything particularly essentialist about the German people inherent in the phrase.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Majorian posted:

Yup, it unfortunately wouldn't be the first post that someone has made on these forums that has made a weird essentialist claim about an entire ethnicity or nationality.

I think if you’re unable to make the distinction you should probably not be a mod.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

can we talk about the war

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Majorian posted:

That's an interesting argument, but it kind of opens the door to the argument that a whole lot of historical wars suddenly become "anti-imperialistic." Were Rome's wars against the Sassanids anti-imperialist in the sense that they countered that empire's aspirations?

I think a lot of war were both and would require people to analyze how big those 2 side of it were. Knowing exactly why each side went to war in detail would help define exactly what the war is but we never really get a straight answer to that for the current conflict. Does anyone beside Putin really know WTF the Russian state actually want out of this operation and how much of it changed since the opening day?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
I miss GWB just saying the good guys were fighting the axis of evil and being done with it, "imperialism" used to mean something :bahgawd:

No really though, empire and imperialism have been literal fighting words for ages, the 60's and 70's had plenty of talk of the soviet empire imperially imperializing european colonies into independence, intellectual delinquency, many such cases!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what standard of proof are you using for “really know”

you can look at what has happened and infer yourself.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CODChimera posted:

I'd love it if we did.:)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

The advantage of Soviet ifvs is that the Ukrainians may at least have a shot at keeping them operable, I am very skeptical if this is the case with the Bradley. It is also just physically a larger vehicle which I don’t know if it is to its benefit.

That said, I want to see a conventional warfare circumstance is was more or less designed for. The same for the Abrams if they ever take those hills out of the desert.

agreed that keeping these operable will be hell -- yet another vehicle requiring completely different parts, maintenance, and ammo from anything they currently use, and i bet it would be the same for the abrams

also i think this war is showing that sacrificing he shells for anti tank power in the 120mm cannon, was not a great idea

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Subhas Chandra Bose 🫡

I like the average zionist org is going to point to him while writing why azov isn't fascist anymore. "look they are jumping with the israeli diplomat who is bringing them guns!"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CODChimera posted:

I was trying to learn what imperialism was before a mod decided to start a 3 page derail.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the M1 is probably just too heavy to be honest, Soviet infrastructure was built to specifications that would likely make it a liability even to operate. The Bradley is more doable but again it seems to be more of clearing out the warehouse.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Dec 30, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If we are all under the assumption that we are talking about the same thing (the government) then what is need to clarify? If I say India is fascist we all know I’m talking about the government. What makes Ukraine so different here?

they are white and therefore have the dark soul of humanity (individuality)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mods please remove :d2a: for being reductionist

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

they are white and therefore have the dark soul of humanity (individuality)

Thank you, yes. You said it better than I could.

i say swears online posted:

mods please remove :d2a: for being reductionist

No, you are actually obligated to make essentialist arguments about Americans here.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Finally hours of watching VaatiVidya lore videos that prove dark souls has a deep story as per my friends comes in handy!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I was trying to learn what imperialism was before a mod decided to start a 3 page derail.

It is when bad countries do bad things

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

It is when bad countries do bad things

Bad things are bad

- Barack Ukraine Obama

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Also, the M1 is probably just too heavy to be honest, Soviet infrastructure was built to specifications that would likely make it a liability even to operate. The Bradley is more doable but again it seems to be more of clearing out the warehouse.

The mrap's performance thus far doesn't bode well for double xl beef burger American vehicles

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bad things are bad

- Barack Ukraine Obama

:hmmyes:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

I have not posted "no those are the same." You've made this claim before; it wasn't true then, and it still isn't true now.

well, we were discussing differences between the american empire and russian empire and you interjected with:

Majorian posted:

Russia's not denazifying anything, nor is invading Ukraine anti-imperialist. Cut the poo poo.
to me that’s a pretty clear “stop discussing the american empire being worse”, and an implied “they’re both bad I don’t care about the differences shut up.” was that incorrect?

Majorian posted:

That's an interesting argument, but it kind of opens the door to the argument that a whole lot of historical wars suddenly become "anti-imperialistic." Were Rome's wars against the Sassanids anti-imperialist in the sense that they countered that empire's aspirations?

which then continued in the following posts where you didn’t want other empires to be compared. i do think there’s an inherent difference between the sassanids and roman’s fighting, and say, the spanish american war due to the power discrepancies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobotomy molo posted:

was that incorrect?

Yes.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
russia de-nazified the azov battalion captured from the steelworks with all the nazi tattoos by shelling their own prison

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

okay, sorry I misunderstood. what were you trying to say? :)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/michellemfugere/status/1608648682655846400

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

serena williams did that all the time

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bad things are bad

- Barack Ukraine Obama

Once we get everyone agreeing that bad things are bad and that all's fair in love and war I believe we can collectively find common footing.

In Ukraine everyone is so obsessed over red lines and blue lines that nobody is considering the real enemy. Those insidious tree elves. That's why we need to burn all the forests down and salt the earth with agent orange. It's the right thing to do.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Once we get everyone agreeing that bad things are bad and that all's fair in love and war I believe we can collectively find common footing.

In Ukraine everyone is so obsessed over red lines and blue lines that nobody is considering the real enemy. Those insidious tree elves. That's why we need to burn all the forests down and salt the earth with agent orange. It's the right thing to do.

The Swedes are always the high elves.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The Swedes are always the high elves.

It's true, high elves notoriously do not provide food for their guests.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Majorian posted:

It's true, high elves notoriously do not provide food for their guests.

what about the lembas bread, smart guy? :colbert:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
To fully justify why i said Russia's invasion of Ukraine is anti-imperialist, i'd have to strictly define empire (pre-modern vs modern sense), imperialism and capitalism, and regional power since that's what i described Russia as, and how this ties into the present international system.

This goes into international relations theory though, may be kind of boring and obtuse and longwinded, so instead of a pondered vis a vis on why exactly Ukraine is trying to become part of the worst empire ever and Russia is "just" (big just) a threat to its neighbors i skipped to the endpoint.

This just to say, i was talking about the war, because the imperialism topic i know a thing or two about and you bet it's re-litigated a lot. My words are backed-up by theory, and if anyone wants to call me a Russia apologist just keep in mind Putin is not good (at anything besides smooching, ooh-la-la) and i'd rather anti-imperialism be done economically and diplomatically.

But if Majoran rather have the thread talk about the more tasteful topics of where and when people are shooting eachother with what pew pews and which cities rockets are flying into that's fine by me.

I for one miss the ork jokes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Endman posted:

what about the lembas bread, smart guy? :colbert:

Well obviously the hobbits stole it without Galadriel's knowledge.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

bagual posted:

To fully justify why i said Russia's invasion of Ukraine is anti-imperialist, i'd have to strictly define empire (pre-modern vs modern sense), imperialism and capitalism, and regional power since that's what i described Russia as, and how this ties into the present international system.

This goes into international relations theory though, may be kind of boring and obtuse and longwinded, so instead of a pondered vis a vis on why exactly Ukraine is trying to become part of the worst empire ever and Russia is "just" (big just) a threat to its neighbors i skipped to the endpoint.

This just to say, i was talking about the war, because the imperialism topic i know a thing or two about and you bet it's re-litigated a lot. My words are backed-up by theory, and if anyone wants to call me a Russia apologist just keep in mind Putin is not good (at anything besides smooching, ooh-la-la) and i'd rather anti-imperialism be done economically and diplomatically.

But if Majoran rather have the thread talk about the more tasteful topics of where and when people are shooting eachother with what pew pews and which cities rockets are flying into that's fine by me.

I for one miss the ork jokes.

this mf used vis-a-vis unironically smdh