Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Payndz posted:

The showrunners of both Lower Decks and Prodigy are probably tossing the problem of the synth rebellion back and forth like a live grenade, not wanting to be the one holding it when it explodes.

Latchkum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Betting not Prodigy because they will probably be tackling the anti-augment bigotry and even if they add a nice synth pal, that's a loooong gap for progress on asynth rights and also just being anachronistic hatred and backwards period.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Remember when Prodigy started and everyone was complaining that this was obviously originally a Star Wars show that had been just reskinned into Star Trek at some point?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Remember when Prodigy started and everyone was complaining that this was obviously originally a Star Wars show that had been just reskinned into Star Trek at some point?

In fairness it took half a season for them to really lean into the Trek stuff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Delsaber posted:

Yeah, it's not really Lower Decks or Prodigy's job to pay a ton of lip service to those events at all, they are different shows off doing their own things. At most they might start showing the uniform transitions eventually, and Jellico kinda made vague allusions to relations with the Romulans already this season, but I wouldn't expect anyone to Kramer into a room and start yelling about Mars or the synth ban or whatever just because the dates will eventually line up

A Picard spin-off series would be the most likely thing to play around with that stuff even if just in flashback, but they should probably spend more time on the worldbuilding pieces Picard already set up but had no time or interest in exploring, like the Romulan splinter states or the Fenris Rangers or the former neutral zone becoming the wild west

Yeah the Cerritos doesn't need to get involved in any of that. They don't have any synths onboard. And it is already stuffed to the gills with people sleeping in hallways so it's not a good fit for an evacuation vessel. It makes sense that it would just keep doing the necessary maintenance tasks it is designed for, because the need for those doesn't go away just because there's other stuff going on too.

The show runners don't want to engage with the mars and romulus poo poo they don't have to. It can just be news of stuff happening in a different sector.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If only they had the balls to retcon Picard out of existence.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I still think it's absolutely funny as all hell that the whole reason Solum is jacked up is presumably because SOMEONE hosed up the second contact mission / one never happened.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

External Organs posted:

I still think it's absolutely funny as all hell that the whole reason Solum is jacked up is presumably because SOMEONE hosed up the second contact mission / one never happened.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

That was a really good finale. Kinda wrapped the cliffhanger up a little fast but didn't shy away from making sure you know that it still wrecked Starfleet's poo poo.

Loved the fake out ending of the reveal of the Protostar-A, and everyone going "oh wow are we getting a new Protostar?" and Janeway just laughing and going "Hah! That piece of poo poo's yesterday's news. We're going out there in something even better!"

What sort of pull does Kathryn Janeway have over Starfleet that they just keep giving her newer and more insane starships to fire halfway across the galaxy every other year? Woman's probably gonna have an Odyssey-class in Season 2 or something.

Look at this most recent episode. The prospect of continuing to anger Janeway made a Vulcan decide that the logical course of action would be to STFU about the kids and hope the scary admiral woman forgot he existed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everyone posted:

Look at this most recent episode. The prospect of continuing to anger Janeway made a Vulcan decide that the logical course of action would be to STFU about the kids and hope the scary admiral woman forgot he existed.

The charges were nonsense. Stealing a starfleet vessel? It was a 50 year old derelict they salvaged from a rock.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MikeJF posted:

It's amazing they were able to convincingly write a B'rknaa joining Starfleet.

The finale gets high marks. A kids' show committing that hard is a welcome surprise, and now Rok-Tahk can turn Murf back into his proper form.

Gotta admit that I was surprised at the callback they threw in:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The charges were nonsense. Stealing a starfleet vessel? It was a 50 year old derelict they salvaged from a rock.

Everyone knows that if you save the Federation, all charges should be dropped. Even if they weren't bullshit. (They were still bullshit)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, I love that there are a bunch of 00s Trek video game nerds on Prodigy's production staff because the Starfleet tribunal that tries to prosecute the kids are wearing nearly identical uniforms as Mr. Stemmons, Starfleet Academy's chief functionary from Elite Force II:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Facebook Aunt posted:

"It's a legitimate salvage!!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe starfleet started putting sapient holograms on every ship and declaring them legal persons to protect against salvagers. As long as the hologram is on board the ship is never abandoned. And the hologram can't leave.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe starfleet started putting sapient holograms on every ship and declaring them legal persons to protect against salvagers. As long as the hologram is on board the ship is never abandoned. And the hologram can't leave.

I see you've read my pilot pitch for Star Trek: Legal Department

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

That's just JAG with phasers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

External Organs posted:

May I propose Star Trek: Klingon Lawyer

Facebook Aunt posted:

I feel like somebody just really wanted to do the courtroom scene from Voyage Home.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

^^^^^ you may! That's a good episode.

I demand a YouTube edit of TNG where Troi is the ship's legal counselor.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

External Organs posted:

I demand a YouTube edit of TNG where Troi is the ship's legal counselor.

"Will, I still need your briefs."

"...I thought I left them at your place."

"For Data's case."

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Kesper North posted:

May I propose Star Trek: Klingon Lawyer

Starring Michael Dorn as Colonel Worf

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Picard leans over to Troi: "are you getting anything, counselor?"

"Nothing they've said indicates malicious intent, at least by the guidelines of the khittomer accords. However, warp factor castle doctrine is in effect in this sector"

"...very good. Mr Worf, fire!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
a very special episode about lawfare, guest starring Popehat as a Ferengi who's doing a RICO

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Objection, empathy is in violation of my fourth and fifth space-amendment rights!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Objection, empathy is in violation of my fourth and fifth space-amendment rights!

That's fine, object all you like. In the meanwhile, the Emergency Search And Seizure Hologram has already found the evidence we need on your PADD and has transferred it to our archives, and because it's non-organic, it is exempt from the Space Constitution.

...One second, I'm being informed that the Emergency Search And Seizure Hologram has gone rogue, hijacked the Enterprise and is preparing to ram it into Starfleet Headquarters at Warp 9. Oops.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

That's fine, object all you like. In the meanwhile, the Emergency Search And Seizure Hologram has already found the evidence we need on your PADD and has transferred it to our archives, and because it's non-organic, it is exempt from the Space Constitution.

Every single case just gets suspended pending the Holographic rights case.

I really wish they'd just declare sentient holograms sentient, their treatment in Trek has been uncomfortable for decades and they don't seem to be going anywhere with it, just treating them as disposable unless some people get attached.

They can even say the reason that the EMH in Discovery is weird and less human seeming is because it's artificially restricted to avoid sentience for ethical reasons.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 30, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nine-gear crow posted:

That's just JAG with phasers.

JAG with phasers might add a zero to Star Trek's audience figures. That show was hugely popular. JAG with anything is a great format for a TV show, in any given episode your characters can investigate, prosecute, defend, or even sit as a judge. Or undertake a secret mission into the Soviet Union Romulan Star Empire.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently they'd originally planned them getting accepted to the Academy but one of the reasons they didn't get in was because it might collide with the eternally in-planning academy show.

Also they decided to change it to basically apprenticing under Janeway anyway because becoming a classroom show would change it too much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

JAG with phasers might add a zero to Star Trek's audience figures. That show was hugely popular. JAG with anything is a great format for a TV show, in any given episode your characters can investigate, prosecute, defend, or even sit as a judge. Or undertake a secret mission into the Soviet Union Romulan Star Empire.

This is why I think the Section 31 show, if it ever materializes given Michelle Yeoh's career trajectory of just being in literally everything, everywhere, all at once these days, is probably just going to be NCIS with phasers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really hope S31 is completely dead, if only because Yeoh deserves so much better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope S31 is completely dead, if only because Yeoh deserves so much better.

Deserves better? Yes. Willing to work complete dogshit for a paycheck though? Also a yes. See: Blood Origin comma colon comma Witcher comma The.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sure, but her need to work a pure paycheck job is way lower now than it was when S31 was announced nearly four years ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'd be neat if they got Sternbach to give notes on the Voyager-A. I know he always wished he could do the nacelle hinges better, there's a lot of options now that they're not limited by physical models and sets.

Maybe they won't cut a bunch of notches into the side ruining the smooth hull so all the named characters have quarters with vertical windows for easier set construction.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It'd be neat if they got Sternbach to give notes on the Voyager-A. I know he always wished he could do the nacelle hinges better, there's a lot of options now that they're not limited by physical models and sets.

Maybe they won't cut a bunch of notches into the side ruining the smooth hull so all the named characters have quarters with vertical windows for easier set construction.

I've had this design in my head for Voyager-A for like 15 years now, so it's gonna have to work real hard to knock it out of the park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFQ8hmvYFo

Seriously, CBS should have hired DJ Curtis and Michael Wiley to do all their post-Nemesis Starfleet designs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or they could just do the pointy concept Voyager.

The nacelles are pretty close to the Sagan/Titan nacelles, actually, looking at it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MikeJF posted:

I mean the first few episodes were exactly like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but people weren't just saying it was a bit Star Wars like, lots of people were actually insisting it was clearly a show that had been developed and then reskinned into Star Trek at the last minute.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Or they could just do the pointy concept Voyager.

The nacelles are pretty close to the Sagan/Titan nacelles, actually, looking at it.

God, please no. The Picard-era trend of weird jagged nacelles is the dumbest thing. I’m baffled by how hideous and incongruous to the rest of the design the Titan’s nacelles are, especially given how great the rest of Bill Krause’s work is.

Seriously, go peruse his instagram. His whole fleet of post-TOS/PRE-TMP designs are just gorgeous.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but people weren't just saying it was a bit Star Wars like, lots of people were actually insisting it was clearly a show that had been developed and then reskinned into Star Trek at the last minute.

I still believe that tho??? I'm not convinced it was literally Star Wars but I am pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be a Star Trek show, and was pretty far into development before someone at a network somewhere was like "Hey, you wanna make this a Star Trek show?", and then they turned it into a Star Trek show.

Believing that and thinking that Prodigy is a good series are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Believing that and thinking that Prodigy is a good series are not mutually exclusive.

No, but they would have had to extensively rewrite a whole bunch of scripts to turn it into Star Trek. I'm going with the theory that it was Star Trek all along, and only looked like Star Wars so kids who only knew Star Wars could start in a familiar environment and then learn about the Federation along with the characters.