Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Tiggum posted:

It's a pronoun. None of them get apostrophes: his; hers; theirs; yours; its.

god dammit it's a pronoun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FFT posted:

Counterpoint: Purim

:hmmyes:

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah we get plenty of fun holidays! At least in my household Pesach is super fun, it's entirely good natured arguments about which bits to read or leave out and laughing about being "brought forth from the house of bondage"

Chanukah is boring and for kids

booooooh, I say as I look at one of my babies staring at the menorah like its the most interesting thing in the world :3

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Well don't just leave us hanging, what was the song??

Slip Away by Perfume Genius. Which apparently was on Booksmart, and Atypical. Both of which I've seen, but neither of which I've seen enough to get a song lodged in my head.

It's a great song from a great album, though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't stand the mindset of "caring about things is bad and cringe unless you make an ironic joke"

Caring about things and people loving rocks

I'd rather read fifteen paragraphs of someone's loving rant than see something written off because "lmao butts here's a simpsons meme try less you stupid nerd"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Dec 27, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't stand the mindset of "caring about things is bad and cringe unless you make an ironic joke"

Caring about things and people loving rocks

I'd rather read fifteen paragraphs of someone's loving rant than see something written off because "lmao butts here's a simpsons meme try less you stupid nerd"

1. That doesn't happen much in real life.

2. The opinions of internet people are worse than worthless.

2a. Losers, given the chance and anonymity, will imitate the thing they perceive as better than themselves. That thing, due to a typical loser's past, is a bully. They try to be that thing, thinking it will shake off the stink of inferiority. It does not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RFC2324 posted:

Its a reference to length. 99s are slightly shorter than 100s(those little mini Marlboros are 70s, iirc?)
Regular (King Size) cigarettes are 85mm, Marlboro also sells smaller ones called 72s.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

1. That doesn't happen much in real life.

god bless wherever you live then

that's another pet peeve, internet-related: it doesn't happen to me, therefore, must be some dumb internet poo poo, touch grass

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Regular (King Size) cigarettes are 85mm, Marlboro also sells smaller ones called 72s.

Thanks. I managed to quit smoking 4 years ago after a quarter century and flushed all the info from my mind.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Marlboro also sells some cigarette called an eighty-four or something. In case you wanted something in between a King (short(pack(box))) or a 72.

When it comes to cigarettes, I thought for sure the Camel Crush thing was going to last a single season. I remember seeing them back in like 2006, and we all had a laugh about what a dumb idea it is. Yeah, have you ever smoked half your cigarette and then thought, man I wish this second half was mentholated? Well now it can be!

But they're still around and I sell tons of them at work so I guess I was really wrong on that read.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

credburn posted:

Marlboro also sells some cigarette called an eighty-four or something. In case you wanted something in between a King (short(pack(box))) or a 72.

When it comes to cigarettes, I thought for sure the Camel Crush thing was going to last a single season. I remember seeing them back in like 2006, and we all had a laugh about what a dumb idea it is. Yeah, have you ever smoked half your cigarette and then thought, man I wish this second half was mentholated? Well now it can be!

But they're still around and I sell tons of them at work so I guess I was really wrong on that read.

Yeah, I was a Camel red smoker and everyone always having crushes was mind boggling to me

Now I don't even like the smell, and am amazed I could get anyone to kiss me back then.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For the longest time my GF smoked crushes, but I never once saw her purposefully crush the drat thing. She did grimace a good few times when it was inadvertently crushed. Like, why even buy that kind, then??

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arrath posted:

For the longest time my GF smoked crushes, but I never once saw her purposefully crush the drat thing. She did grimace a good few times when it was inadvertently crushed. Like, why even buy that kind, then??

I had a couple friends who smoked them so they could crush them when people bummed one

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Camel Crushes are so stupid, i love them :allears:

for awhile i was buying filterless lucky strikes (or maybe marlboros?) which seemed good at the time but now makes me want to hurl at the thought of them

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I had a couple friends who smoked them so they could crush them when people bummed one

Devious

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

HOLY gently caress posted:

for awhile i was buying filterless lucky strikes (or maybe marlboros?) which seemed good at the time but now makes me want to hurl at the thought of them
Same, but they were probably camel non filters. No one ever bummed from me though. Switched to camel lights and quit 15 years ago.

Remember the chocolate flavored ones that came in a tin?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My hands and my kids still smell like cheap cigarettes and it's been a moment since we saw the in-laws. Peeve: cigarettes. Especially Belomorkanal. They smell so bad.

Choke dying on your own lungs or just smoke weed like a normal person.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Being an ex-smoker, the smell of cigarettes burning does give me a quick flash of an urge, but the smell of cigarette infused clothing or furniture makes me sick now.

Just coming back from a work trip to Vegas a few years ago made my clothes and hair reek.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Growing up I'd hang out on the porch with my mom while she smoked, now the smell of cigarette smoke makes me miss my mom :(

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

JGdmn posted:

Being an ex-smoker, the smell of cigarettes burning does give me a quick flash of an urge, but the smell of cigarette infused clothing or furniture makes me sick now.

Just coming back from a work trip to Vegas a few years ago made my clothes and hair reek.

The trick that killed the urge(mostly) for me was trying to suck down a camel red 6 months after I stopped smoking.
Got sick af and haven't had a craving since.

Make sure the cig is strong enough to make you sick tho, lol

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

There's a bit of airplane chaos, and now I have to wait 3 hours to catch the final step of my flight.
Not the worst in the world, but big props to this airport to make waiting extra excruciating by having one of the (closed, with people inside, a company party or something?) restaurants blaring music incredibly loudly.

No place in the waiting hall is safe from Cotton Eye Joe and the Spice Girls, and other 90s-00s music.

e: Boom boom, I want you in my room.
e2: Did I accidentally take a flight to the wrong decade?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So distasteful even the Langoliers won't eat it.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

SubNat posted:

There's a bit of airplane chaos, and now I have to wait 3 hours to catch the final step of my flight.
Not the worst in the world, but big props to this airport to make waiting extra excruciating by having one of the (closed, with people inside, a company party or something?) restaurants blaring music incredibly loudly.

No place in the waiting hall is safe from Cotton Eye Joe and the Spice Girls, and other 90s-00s music.

A place I lived about ten years ago was right next to a grocery store where I did my weekly shopping. It had Wannabe on a surprisingly frequent rotation.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The music around the turn of the millennium is to the modern era what the 60s were to that time.

In the 2040s the oldies channel will be ruled by Lil Nas X and The Weeknd.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Knives Out and Glass Onion are not the end all, be all of whodunit movies. Yes they have big name casts, but they are single watch, mildly entertaining movies at best. Anyone who asks you if you have seen them, then waxes poetically about them deserves a swift kick in the junk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re my pet peeve. Just smug and full of anger

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

SubNat posted:

My Christmas pet peeve of the year: children's toys with sound. Children manage to be quite loud enough without the extra help, thank you very much toy producers. My wife and I are in agreement that toys that make extra noise are gonna be banned in our house. Her brother has not yet come to the same conclusion, so this Christmas our nephew got a robot dinosaur toy. It can walk, it can bite, it can roar, and, god knows why, it can dance to the Vengaboys' 1998 megahit "Boom Boom Boom Boom!!", played through the lovely buzzer used for the roar.

Unfortunately the batteries "ran out" after about an hour of the song on repeat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phosphine posted:

My Christmas pet peeve of the year: children's toys with sound. Children manage to be quite loud enough without the extra help, thank you very much toy producers. My wife and I are in agreement that toys that make extra noise are gonna be banned in our house. Her brother has not yet come to the same conclusion, so this Christmas our nephew got a robot dinosaur toy. It can walk, it can bite, it can roar, and, god knows why, it can dance to the Vengaboys' 1998 megahit "Boom Boom Boom Boom!!", played through the lovely buzzer used for the roar.

Unfortunately the batteries "ran out" after about an hour of the song on repeat.

Bluey gets a lot of mileage out of this with Chattermax and it's great.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Phosphine posted:

My bro never got back to me on a general idea of what to get my nieces (aged 4 and 6) for Christmas. They live across the country and I don't get to see them very often. I was tempted to get them a drum set or something equally loud as payabck. :v:

But no, instead I just asked their grandma (my mom) about what they would like. I got them a plush shark and turtle. But the noisy toy idea was mighty tempting, lemme tell you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SubNat posted:

You have to stop them from going forward!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm sure this one has been done by other people, but holy poo poo do I hate it when programs hide useful options!

To whit, I just got an e-reader with my Christmas money, after I got sick of ruining my poor eyes squinting at a tiny phone screen for such purposes. A waterproof one too so I can read in the bath tub!

Kindle books have this thing turned on by default called "popular highlights," which tags passages that other people liked and says like "500 users highlighted this." Sounds neat on paper, but in practice it just instantly breaks my immersion. I don't care if a million people liked this line. I'm just trying to read a book here! I can decide for myself if I like a particular turn of phrase.

This option is on by default any time I update the Kindle app or have to download it onto a new phone or whatever. It's just been a ritual with me that I start reading a book, discover that option is on AGAIN, and go hunt around for the options to turn it off. Annoyingly, you couldn't turn it off while you were reading. You had to go back to your Library and change the settings from there. But hey at least it worked and it turned it off and I could go back to reading in peace. At least until I update the app again.

Fast forward to today when I was using my brand new e-reader. I ran across a highlighted passage, rolled my eyes, and thought "Oh, this poo poo again. Let me just turn that poo poo off." Except I couldn't find the option! So I had to turn to Google. Oh, Amazon moved that option, I see, but at least they standardized where it was across all devices! I also felt somewhat vindicated at the number of guides I found on how to turn it off. Seems I am by far not the only one who finds that poo poo annoying.

Except then this menu in which the option is supposedly buried wasn't showing up. So back to Google again. Oh you have to tap the screen? Okay doing that just turns the page. Back to Google again! Found a Reddit post of all things that finally spelled it out: you have to tap specifically near the top of the screen to get this menu to show up. Okay good! Found the option, turned it off! All good!

Then I learned two things, one good, and one extremely bad. Good: you can disable that stupid option while you're reading. Don't need to go back to the library anymore! The extremely bad: you now have to disable it for every individual book you read. It's no longer just a one and done across your account.

MY LIFE IS PAIN.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who just keep poo poo for no reason until their house has no usable space whatsoever and even finding a place to out down a cup requires 30 seconds of moving stuff around first. Maybe if you have 4 ninja blenders you can toss three out. Or get rid of a treadmill machine you haven’t touched in 5 years. Maybe!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

oldpainless posted:

People who just keep poo poo for no reason until their house has no usable space whatsoever and even finding a place to out down a cup requires 30 seconds of moving stuff around first. Maybe if you have 4 ninja blenders you can toss three out. Or get rid of a treadmill machine you haven’t touched in 5 years. Maybe!

counter-peeve: sending something that still works off to be smashed up into a hole in the ground

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Raluek posted:

counter-peeve: sending something that still works off to be smashed up into a hole in the ground

The extra crap could be gifted, given away, donated, sold, etc. "Getting rid of clutter" doesn't necessarily mean "trash it".

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Arrath posted:

The extra crap could be gifted, given away, donated, sold, etc. "Getting rid of clutter" doesn't necessarily mean "trash it".

agreed!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I use a blender like a pirate a flintlock pistol in the heat of battle: hurling it away after a single use to avoid the time consuming task of cleaning the blades.

I keep six blenders strapped to my chest at all times.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe this is just :cloud:, but: My family and I have (had) driven Toyotas for a long time. They were good-looking and reliable as hell. My dad still has a mid-'90s Avalon, and my 1999 Corolla was still going strong when it got caught in Michigan's Great Flood of 2014 (I still miss it). My folks, who are in their early 70s, are finally in a place to own one of the luxe Lexus sedans they've wanted for a long time now.

Why must Toyota take such awful turns in its vehicle design? First the Prius got that poo poo rear window, reminiscent of a loving Aztek, of all things, then they put those ugly-rear end cow-catcher grilles on otherwise beautiful Lexus vehicles. Then came the inevitable "let the masses have a taste of high-class luxury" thing where the Toyota brand inherits some Lexus traits--except it's the ugly grille. WHY. (Lexus acknowledges the grilles were a bad idea, but is doubling down on them for future models. :argh:)

The icing on the cake is the Toyota Crown. Lately my parents have been intrigued by this model, debuting in the States this year, having seen and admired this solid luxury sedan in Japan. Well, leave it to Toyota: They bring it over here and turn it into some kind of loving sportscar...sedan? With multiple two-tone paintjob options?? What the gently caress? It's awful and so far from the original vehicle, sharing only the name. What a massive disappointment.

Expectation:

Reality:

It's not just Toyota USA, either, though they're a big part of the problem. Here's an ugly-rear end Toyota Alphard I saw in Kyoto earlier this month:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Looks like a Mad Max villain's face

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

i swear to god this is on purpose. i think a lot of people want their cars to look threatening especially with the rise in popularity of running over protestors

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Brawnfire posted:

I was thinking it almost looked exactly look putting a gimp mask on the original version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

We have some laundry rooms in my apartment complex and I keep somehow picking the worst times to do laundry. If I do find a good time to do it, it becomes a bad time after a few weeks. I was hoping nobody else would be doing laundry at 2:30pm on a Monday during a rainstorm but boy, I was wrong. Still got to do it but just barely.

That being said though, I’m glad that we don’t have a system that I’ve heard some people have in their buildings where you have to sign up for a time in advance because that seems to work even worse than first come, first serve.

If I ever live somewhere where i have my own washer and dryer then I will feel like I’ve finally made it in life :allears: