Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My guess is is that as long as Purdy doesn't flame out, Lance will have to outperform him in 2023 pre-season in order to supplant him. As long as Purdy keeps playing like this it's his job to keep. You don't replace a young QB who is doing this sort of thing. No matter how much talent the other guy has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:shrug:

Every injury concern people have with Jimmy is just as valid for Lance, and both last played a full season anywhere in 2019. I would trust Purdy over either of them, and Jimmy over Lance

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Waltzing Along posted:

Is he the reason the Vikings are so lucky?

Did you see that catch vs the Bills

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did you see that catch vs the Bills

Yeah. And then the Vikings got lucky to win when the Bills inexplicably fumbled the ball when all they had to do was not fumble and they would have won. An unforced fumble.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

falelee has actually played more than a couple of times and even started a game i think. he's held his own despite looking like crap during training camp with awful footwork/conditioning. i think he's occasionally come in as an extra blocker also.

so yeah,m i agree. he should get mvp and the ravens should win the superbowl

This is correct yes

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chris James 2 posted:

Every injury concern people have with Jimmy is just as valid for Lance, and both last played a full season anywhere in 2019. I would trust Purdy over either of them, and Jimmy over Lance

I think the move is to keep Purdy and Lance so we have two QBs on their rookie contracts, then use the savings to pay Bosa and Aiyuk, and maybe get another good free agent. I would also accept Purdy starting and Jimmy as the backup again, that's still pretty cheap for having two good QBs. I just think the two rookie contracts would let us keep this squad together for a couple of seasons.

I've seen a rumor video that the Texans might want to trade the 32nd or 33rd pick overall for Lance. We could use the pick, and JimmyG isn't terribly expensive riding the bench. The thing is, Jimmy would be an upgrade at QB for a lot of teams, injury risk and all, and after this season's performance he deserve to start somewhere.

In the Purdy-JimmyG comparison do remember that one of Purdy's INTs was in garbage time against the Chiefs. Both of them are running a 4:1 ratio otherwise. That's elite by any measure, although with Purdy it is a small sample size. Teams should be lining up to pay JimmyG with the season he had.

But Purdy's upside is higher than Garappolo's. Shanahan is letting him be aggressive and the results are on the scoreboard and in the win column. Last in the draft, goddamn I love a Cinderella story.

Speaking of which, our rookie RB Mason was a UDFA. Someone on the scout team has an eye for diamonds in the rough.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Justin Jefferson should be mvp this year.

no reasonable human being would take justin jefferson over pat mahomes, josh allen, jalen hurts or about 9 other QBs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As much as you can feel bad for a millionaire 22 year old athlete, you gotta feel a little bad for Lance. Had he stayed in college one more year he would have been the #1 pick and would be much more ready for the NFL. But he's barely played since 2019 and has lot an entire season of development to a stupid injury.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I think the move is to keep Purdy and Lance so we have two QBs on their rookie contracts, then use the savings to pay Bosa and Aiyuk, and maybe get another good free agent. I would also accept Purdy starting and Jimmy as the backup again, that's still pretty cheap for having two good QBs. I just think the two rookie contracts would let us keep this squad together for a couple of seasons.

I've seen a rumor video that the Texans might want to trade the 32nd or 33rd pick overall for Lance. We could use the pick, and JimmyG isn't terribly expensive riding the bench. The thing is, Jimmy would be an upgrade at QB for a lot of teams, injury risk and all, and after this season's performance he deserve to start somewhere.

In the Purdy-JimmyG comparison do remember that one of Purdy's INTs was in garbage time against the Chiefs. Both of them are running a 4:1 ratio otherwise. That's elite by any measure, although with Purdy it is a small sample size. Teams should be lining up to pay JimmyG with the season he had.

But Purdy's upside is higher than Garappolo's. Shanahan is letting him be aggressive and the results are on the scoreboard and in the win column. Last in the draft, goddamn I love a Cinderella story.

Speaking of which, our rookie RB Mason was a UDFA. Someone on the scout team has an eye for diamonds in the rough.

I predict Lance starts with a short leash, Purdy backup. Jimmy on the Jets or Panthers.

Also, hopefully they won't draft an rb in the first three rounds ever again.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

:shrug:

Lance didn’t play in 2020 due to his school cancelling football and he had minor injuries in 2021 but he was only inactive for one game and Jimmy G was back by then anyway. This is his first serious injury.

Jimmy has had season ending injuries in 2018, 2020 and 2022 in addition to missing a few other games and playing with a torn ligament in his thumb for the last four games of last year. He couldn’t even make it through Brady’s four game suspension without getting injured and missing time.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 30, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

adaz posted:

no reasonable human being would take justin jefferson over pat mahomes, josh allen, jalen hurts or about 9 other QBs.

JJ is the best player in the league fight me

Breaking Randy Moss records catching balls from Kirk Cousins

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 30, 2022

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Lance was an FCS guy who miraculously went third overall. That dude's stock was absolutely never going to be higher and he was smart as hell to come out then.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Asproigerosis posted:

As a health care worker I do not loving understand what the gently caress cleaning up your core could possibly mean. Like this sounds like some alternative medicine qaaron poo poo.

Hernia maybe?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

adaz posted:

gently caress reasonable. Jefferson is the sole reason they have as many wins as they do.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

BlindSite posted:

gently caress reasonable. Jefferson is the sole reason they have as many wins as they do.

To be fair, you can say the same about most of those 9 QBs.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

a neat cape posted:

So uh what's up with trey Lance going forward

I legit 100% forgot the 49ers had a QB in waiting

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lifespan posted:

To be fair, you can say the same about most of those 9 QBs.

Yeah but even megatron didn't have this kind of impact.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Roasted Donut posted:

Lance was an FCS guy who miraculously went third overall. That dude's stock was absolutely never going to be higher and he was smart as hell to come out then.

This. If he stayed at NDSU he would've been much worse. They have a pretty lovely coach now who only knows how to run a 1960s offense and relies on the defense to carry them. Christian Watson was lucky to get out when he did.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’ve been happy with Purdy, and I definitely think he has some upside. We’ve also seen some of his limitations — in particular, his arm hasn’t been impressive — and defenses don’t have a lot of tape on him yet. Fortunately, he’s a rookie, and we have a ton of time to figure out what to do with him.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Every year this happens - see last year and cooper kupp - where people are arguing because the stats are crazy they are most valuable but that's not how this works! The MVP isn't award to "person with the craziest stats that year". Most valuable is always going to go to a quarterback until the game drastically changes because nothing is as valuable as a QB with how the game is constructed. Right now, that means JJ is getting OPOTY and Pat Mahomes is getting MVP. Also there is still the possibility that Tyreek goes crazy last few games - but probably not because Tua's brain is uh not good - and surpasses JJ in raw stats yet this year too. I mean don't give it to Tyreek because he's a piece of poo poo.

adaz fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 30, 2022

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
https://twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1608583487719890945

PLEASE for the love of christ get rid of this guy, and Harbaugh with him!! How can you say something like this as a professional offensive coordinator!!!

If the fixes are so simple why not do them months ago you hack!!!!!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't follow the nfl as much these days but are the broncos really missing the playoffs for the 7th season in a row?

:drat:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't follow the nfl as much these days but are the broncos really missing the playoffs for the 7th season in a row?

:drat:

Remember when that SB with dying Peyton happened and everyone reacted with "it's all downhill from here"

Those downhill six years since were literally, each and every one of them, significantly better than this year has been for the team, and there's no current signs that any of the next four years will be better than this one because it was mortgaged for the benefit of another washed QB and stingier owners

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

people have long decided to interpret the word "Valuable" in the "most valuable player" award way too literally. clearly the intention of the award was to be given to the most outstanding player in the league. the notion of awarding a player's relative "value" is very stupid and should be eliminated

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

epic bacon posted:

people have long decided to interpret the word "Valuable" in the "most valuable player" award way too literally. clearly the intention of the award was to be given to the most outstanding player in the league. the notion of awarding a player's relative "value" is very stupid and should be eliminated

I see we have a Mark Moseley fan here.

I don't know, if we're talking guys who should have won for being the most outstanding Cortez Kennedy got robbed playing on a 2-14 Seahawks team in 1992. 2 and 14, he was just too goddamned good to ignore. There was literally nothing worth watching about that team other than him as far as I can tell. He did manage defensive player of the year. Steve Young won MVP that year and lead the league in a lot of QB categories. SF went 14-2 for a palindrome.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Grittybeard posted:

I see we have a Mark Moseley fan here.

I don't know, if we're talking guys who should have won for being the most outstanding Cortez Kennedy got robbed playing on a 2-14 Seahawks team in 1992. 2 and 14, he was just too goddamned good to ignore. There was literally nothing worth watching about that team other than him as far as I can tell. He did manage defensive player of the year. Steve Young won MVP that year and lead the league in a lot of QB categories. SF went 14-2 for a palindrome.

Cortez still has more MVP votes then Russ.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Ok who had “Blaine Gabbert saves people on his jet ski after they crashed their helicopter into the ocean”?

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1608804529000296448?s=20&t=1chQLXMhgOo9-QPv0V6QuA

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ok who had “Blaine Gabbert saves people on his jet ski after they crashed their helicopter into the ocean”?

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1608804529000296448?s=20&t=1chQLXMhgOo9-QPv0V6QuA

Whoa there motherfucker...

I'm here to save you!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

epic bacon posted:

I've long been one of those "it's most valuable, not best" pedants and I agree with this. It's a stupid distinction and leads to dumb conversations. Give the award to the dude who balls the hardest. This year, that's JJ.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Let the record show that Blaine Gabbert's career outlasted Cam Newton's.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

fsif posted:

Let the record show that Blaine Gabbert's career outlasted Cam Newton's.

Also has a ring.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Joey Freshwater posted:

BINGO! What do I win?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09oUUhkSxbQ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Joey Freshwater posted:

I love news stories that sound like they could've been written via Mad Libs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The NFL charged Allen Lazard five digits for being an A+ blocker.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1608860749602123776

The block and celebration in question:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

SKULL.GIF posted:

The NFL charged Allen Lazard five digits for being an A+ blocker.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1608860749602123776

They should make those Dolphins defenders pay that fine.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

SKULL.GIF posted:

That led me to this:
https://twitter.com/AntMob7/status/1607167335504449536?s=20&t=JsvOu2bI3VAiZ35eK7o3xw

You're a mean one, Mr. Smith.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hell yeah this is how you tank

quote:

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said DeAndre Hopkins left Friday's practice with a "knee issue" and they'll see how he feels Saturday before deciding if he'll play.

Hopkins will almost undoubtedly hit the questionable line. One could construct an argument that David Blough's elevation and this rule out have the feel of tanking. Hopkins absolutely does not need to risk more wear and tear in a meaningless game from Arizona's perspective. We'll check in on Saturday but he should be regarded as truly questionable at this point.

quote:

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Blough will start at quarterback for Arizona in Week 17 against the Falcons.

Colt McCoy experienced more concussion symptoms and was ruled out, while apparently Kingsbury didn't think much of Trace McSorely's start last week. Blough went 0-5 as a starter with the Lions in 2019, completed 54 percent of his passes and throwing four touchdowns against six picks. His presence elevates the Falcons D/ST into the streaming conversation in Week 17.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just have mvp be a qb award, opoty a non-qb, invent one for o linemen and one for most people saved with your jet ski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Interesting chart.

Woof, Seattle...