Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

pencilhands posted:

lmao he got arrested because his limp dick video yelling at greta thunberg had a pizza box from a local restaurant in it

what a moron

Some weeks ago this guy had a lifetime ban from Twitter, then he gets reinstated by a rapidly chudbraining tech bro, uses his time to swiftly achieve the heaviest ratioing in twitter history trying to beef with a teenage climate activist, corncobs, takes 10 hours to post his "no u" video rebuttal, has a pizza box in the video that tips Romanian police off to his presence, which results in he immediately gets raided and taken into custody for human trafficking and rape in at least Romania, the US, and the UK

Now do I have all this info correct because I am going to struggle to think of any greater self own in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Staluigi posted:

Some weeks ago this guy had a lifetime ban from Twitter, then he gets reinstated by a rapidly chudbraining tech bro, uses his time to swiftly achieve the heaviest ratioing in twitter history trying to beef with a teenage climate activist, corncobs, takes 10 hours to post his "no u" video rebuttal, has a pizza box in the video that tips Romanian police off to his presence, which results in he immediately gets raided and taken into custody for human trafficking and rape in at least Romania, the US, and the UK

Now do I have all this info correct because I am going to struggle to think of any greater self own in history

Assuming the arrest story is true, and I think at this point it's reasonable to believe it is, I believe you have everything here correct.

There's also the fun part where he claims to have converted to Islam but continued to drink whiskey, but that's really not related.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Staluigi posted:

The rapidly chudbraining tech bro is a strong contender

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Staluigi posted:

Well look at it from his perspective. What's worse: voluntarily ruining your own life and likely ending up in an Eastern European penal system for a non-trivial amount of time, or not getting the last word in a very minor internet argument with a teenage girl?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well look at it from his perspective. What's worse: voluntarily ruining your own life and likely ending up in an Eastern European penal system for a non-trivial amount of time, or not getting the last word in a very minor internet argument with a teenage girl?
Depends. If you don't argue with the teenage girl, would you get koro?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

haveblue posted:

I think what wins it over to Tate right now is the consequence is "sex offender who gloated about owning the cops in Romanian prison" rather than having to sell a surplus yacht or two and deal with the narcissistic injury of being obviously dumb now. Like musk can still walk out a free man with unfathomable wealth, and Tate uhhhhhhh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Staluigi posted:

I think what wins it over to Tate right now is the consequence is "sex offender who gloated about owning the cops in Romanian prison" rather than having to sell a surplus yacht or two and deal with the narcissistic injury of being obviously dumb now. Like musk can still walk out a free man with unfathomable wealth, and Tate uhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1608584326014459904

Unless Tate starts dropping dimes...

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Dropping that kind of dime will leave you with a broken hyoid.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
There has never been a self-own as massive as Tate, it's truly incredible. I assumed Musk buying twitter would be the biggest self-own of the year, but tate comes in right under the wire.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kith posted:

Do cars even backfire anymore? I can't remember hearing one do so in my lifetime outside of old timey cartoons.

Yes, but it mostly limited to decel popping on annoying exhaust systems with custom fuel mixture tuning.

It is still somewhat common on motorcycles.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

In light of Tate getting arrested by way of pizza box, I gotta wonder: What would we consider to be the biggest Self Own of 2022?

Obviously recently we have pizza box narc, but let us not forget that this was also the year that a man tasered his balls to death, and those are just two examples on opposite ends of the year.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I regret to inform you the ball tasing man was last year and did not happen (he just had a regular heart attack)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TGLT posted:

I regret to inform you the ball tasing man was last year and did not happen (he just had a regular heart attack)

Some things are true despite never having happened.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

TGLT posted:

:youtookeverythingfromme:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only other candidate that comes anywhere close to those two is the FTX guy confessing to endless financial crimes for no obvious reason

TGLT posted:

Stop spreading fake news

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
He totally tazed his own ballsack, the idea that he didn't was just a fabrication to spare his family some limited amount of embarrassment from being related to "that guy who tazed his own balls and died."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TGLT posted:

Nah, he absolutely tased his balls.
But drat, that was last year? poo poo, the 1/6 thing WAS 2021, wasn't it?
It keeps getting brought up so much that I thought it was this year.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

the_steve posted:

Nah, he absolutely tased his balls.
But drat, that was last year? poo poo, the 1/6 thing WAS 2021, wasn't it?
It keeps getting brought up so much that I thought it was this year.

The real treasure were the balls that were tazed along the way.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

the_steve posted:

In light of Tate getting arrested by way of pizza box, I gotta wonder: What would we consider to be the biggest Self Own of 2022?

Obviously recently we have pizza box narc, but let us not forget that this was also the year that a man tasered his balls to death, and those are just two examples on opposite ends of the year.

Some dude paid 44 billion dollars to get owned. That's pretty big.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the_steve posted:

It's a packed year. Musk buying Twitter, FBX and NFTs in general, Alex Jones shittalking his way into owing a billion dollars, the shortest PM stint in British history...a whole lot of dumbasses have gotten themselves into a whole lot of trouble.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha gently caress I forgot about Liz Truss. that has to be one of the funniest weekends of British leadership

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I remember the head of cabbage or lettuce that made it longer than her. It's going to be hard picking the craziest/dumbest thing from 2022. And there's still two days left.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a packed year. Musk buying Twitter, FBX and NFTs in general, Alex Jones shittalking his way into owing a billion dollars, the shortest PM stint in British history...a whole lot of dumbasses have gotten themselves into a whole lot of trouble.

While Liz was embarrassingly bad, I think it's a solid toss-up between Alex Jones owing over a billion in damages because he couldn't shut the gently caress up for a month, or Elon Musk paying 44 billion to be an internet troll. Like, Tate failing so badly at starting an internet fight that he ended up in jail is hilarious, but that's a one-and-done deal. Alex hosed up so badly he got laws overturned just to put the screws to him even worse, and I'm pretty sure the only thing that will shut Elon up now is when Twitter dies.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

haveblue posted:

It ain't even that he's chudbraining. He went from Obama praising him at an official meeting to all of his dirty laundry getting aired over the course of several years of dodging the law to make all the money he has, causing his companies to hemorrhage even money and news journalists to take a closer look at his racist and insane employment practices. Which looked to do even more harm to him since he can't run an honest profitable business without an influx of government (or gullible VC investor) support to save his own life.

Dude has always been a poo poo stain with supremacist views on the low down and he's taking the last refuge he has to stay afloat in the public eye. Which has always been his main way of making money by illegally pumping stocks or promising the moon to gullible people before loving them over with bad investments that he sometimes botnetted them into believing were good. Then he'd rely on his lawyers to save his rear end from heavy fines when the government realized what his latest bout of crookery was about.

That, and the sheer amount of idiots and investors he conned means that no one that has money invested in him would admit he was a bad investment unless he made a public rear end of himself repeatedly. It's ironically a situation a lot like heavy crypto investors find themselves in. Cryptocurrencies tend to be a ticking time bomb in terms of worth and volatility, but no holder of crypto is going to admit it since it could devalue their product. So instead they try to gaslight some other schmuck into taking the burden or praying for a moment to cash out at a high gain while running cover for it in a social context. Only in this case it's some apartheid failson turd who hates anyone more capable than him (like that diver who saved the kids in that cavern) selling nonsense promises to rich people who were dumb enough to buy into his pie in the sky snake oil nonsense.

There's 50% odds that he bought twitter to try and get in close with all the awful fuckers trying to subvert our elections either through foreign misinformation or at home Republican ____phobia towards minorities only to get (public, probably not privately) brushed off since he's that much of a PR poison pill. He wanted that since that's literally his last way to avoid failing out of one of his latest money making schemes (which it must be said again are highly illegal).

TL;DR: He's doing the fintech grifter equivalent of the usual "failed TV entertainer to Fox News anchor that sold their soul to stay relevant" speedrun. What's surprising is that he's so astoundingly bad at it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 30, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Randalor posted:

While Liz was embarrassingly bad, I think it's a solid toss-up between Alex Jones owing over a billion in damages because he couldn't shut the gently caress up for a month, or Elon Musk paying 44 billion to be an internet troll. Like, Tate failing so badly at starting an internet fight that he ended up in jail is hilarious, but that's a one-and-done deal. Alex hosed up so badly he got laws overturned just to put the screws to him even worse, and I'm pretty sure the only thing that will shut Elon up now is when Twitter dies.

There were no laws overturned for Alex Jones

Edit: oh wait forgot about the Texas damage cap, never mind

Piell fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 30, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But lol, with who? There's only one place cops come from.

Could the White House just avoid hiring white people for the secret service? That should cut down on the uh, white nationalism.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 30, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Santos told a lie that actually has legal ramifications.

He is under investigation for lying on his financial disclosure forms.

A follow up story by the NYT indicates that his campaign also paid $11,000 in rent for a suburban house for “apartment rental for staff” that he himself was living in alone for at least 3 months and $40,000 on "air travel" for the campaign despite living in the district he was campaigning in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/29/nyregion/george-santos-campaign-finance.html

Additionally, in lies with no legal consequences news, his story about his mom dying during 9/11 has shockingly turned out to be false and she was confirmed to have died in early 2016.

I think he might have some kind of actual compulsive mental health issue related to lying.

https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/1608580065050382339

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would you lie about something so easily disproven? I agree it seems like some kind of compulsion.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's just a general strategy of testing the waters. If he isn't kicked out, Republicans can run people on fake backgrounds, fake financials, whatever.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SpeedFreek posted:

I remember the head of cabbage or lettuce that made it longer than her. It's going to be hard picking the craziest/dumbest thing from 2022. And there's still two days left.

Let us not forget her murdering the queen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Haystack posted:

Let us not forget her murdering the queen.

No, it was more like the Queen met her and then immediately went "Nah, I'm good, see ya." and willingly passed on rather than stick around for the shitshow.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Santos told a lie that actually has legal ramifications.

He is under investigation for lying on his financial disclosure forms.

A follow up story by the NYT indicates that his campaign also paid $11,000 in rent for a suburban house for “apartment rental for staff” that he himself was living in alone for at least 3 months and $40,000 on "air travel" for the campaign despite living in the district he was campaigning in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/29/nyregion/george-santos-campaign-finance.html

Additionally, in lies with no legal consequences news, his story about his mom dying during 9/11 has shockingly turned out to be false and she was confirmed to have died in early 2016.

I think he might have some kind of actual compulsive mental health issue related to lying.

https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/1608580065050382339

Be basically the lady who faked being a sign language transcriber but it gets you a seat in national office

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Staluigi posted:

You forgot one step:

The EU's anti human-trafficking organization is called GRETA and recently (within the last year or so) called out the Romanian police for not arresting the rear end in a top hat. So there's a non-zero chance that Tate started the twitter fight because he got GRETA the organization and Greta Thurnburg the Swedish teenage climate activist mixed up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shammypants posted:

It's just a general strategy of testing the waters. If he isn't kicked out, Republicans can run people on fake backgrounds, fake financials, whatever.

I think it's both. The guy seriously looks like he has some kind of weird compulsion given the fact that it seems like he's lied about functionally everything, even things that are extremely easy to disprove. The Republicans probably figure he's worth a punt because if weirdo compulsive liar guy who artificially constructed an entire life out of thin air can skate into and hold office with no consequences, the last vestiges of the need to pay lip service to objective truth just kind of go away.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Some things are true despite never having happened.

Tazer balls and pizza box self own are 110% real and anyone who claims otherwise can, respectfully, go gently caress themselves

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kanos posted:

I think it's both. The guy seriously looks like he has some kind of weird compulsion given the fact that it seems like he's lied about functionally everything, even things that are extremely easy to disprove. The Republicans probably figure he's worth a punt because if weirdo compulsive liar guy who artificially constructed an entire life out of thin air can skate into and hold office with no consequences, the last vestiges of the need to pay lip service to objective truth just kind of go away.

I don't see there being anyone twirling their mustache saying "Nyeh, let's see if today's evil plot works!" but I will absolutely believe there are people taking careful notes on what's happening now that they can see it.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Staluigi posted:

I mean, Elon Musk did spend $44 billion dollars to show the world how big of a loving clown he is.

Tough to say, really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean glenn's hosed up poo poo is already known/rumored, i wouldnt be shocked if tiel has similar hosed up poo poo.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Apparently House Speaker hopeful McCarthy budged on a previously unbudgable requirement for 'vacating the chair', which is the requirement for people to hold a floor vote to replace the Speaker of the House. Right now its a very high threshhold, but the MAGAfreaks what that to be a very low threshold. He's sold his soul to get the speakers chair, but he's going to be held hostage to the far right if that threshold is low. This next House of Reps is going to be a shitshow.

Be careful of what you wish for, McCarthy, you might get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Meatball posted:

I mean, Elon Musk did spend $44 billion dollars to show the world how big of a loving clown he is.

Tough to say, really.

To be fair, I don't think anyone (other than Twitter) thought he was actually going to go through with the purchase.
He was doing his damndest to weasel out of it every step of the way before trying to do a 180 and act like he puppet mastered the whole thing.

Which is to say nothing of his subsequent decision to take a few laps around the rake factory, but he obviously thought he was going to get out of the actual purchase, and the majority of us were certain of the same at the time.