Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man, desktop mode is so buggy. It's like a 50/50 chance on whether the keyboard will work or not and sometimes the touch pad doesn't even respond.

I'm really hoping they get some updates out to make it more functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

If Steam itself is either not running or is hung, that's usually how you notice. Wind up having to kill the task, which is hard if the mouse and keyboard stop working. I can't figure out why Steam has started to hang in desktop mode for me (I'm getting the same problems, only in the last month or so, so something changed), but I've just been avoiding desktop mode entirely if I can.

EDIT: I'm told there are other keyboard programs that you can run in Linux that don't depend on Steam being active, I just haven't gotten around to looking into it

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 29, 2022

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
You can also hold down the steam button to force the right trackpad to behave as a mouse to give you back enough control to get steam up and running again to get the controller profile loaded back up (without having to go grab peripherals)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Got an nreal air fire Xmas which is pretty sweet! However not having 3dof can be nauseating, hopefully it's something they can add!

Anyone know of a good dock that works with it? I threw windows on it, so looking to charge/use nreal/use kb+m all together.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The desktop can be really buggy without a kb/mouse. but I found holding the burger icon or w/e tech nerds call it, alternated me between gamepad and desktop modes on the desktop and that helped me sometimes to maneuver a way to a button to restart or exit.

I'd still recommend a kb+m though

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Heard a rumor valve is going to be eventually making a second iteration of the deck, with an OLED display and better battery life! Just after I sunk $700 into this one! :negative:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Panfilo posted:

Heard a rumor valve is going to be eventually making a second iteration of the deck, with an OLED display and better battery life! Just after I sunk $700 into this one! :negative:

This will probably happen but not for a couple of years more than likely since they've sold so many of this model.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Panfilo posted:

It wont be long before you can just make those upgrades yourself

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cowman posted:

This will probably happen but not for a couple of years more than likely since they've sold so many of this model.

No, Valve straight-up said that they're looking at doing a new revision soon with a better screen and battery life. They didn't say OLED, but it would make sense for a more expensive premium model.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Of course they're going to make a Deck 2 eventually. You just gotta accept that.

I don't think it's going to happen for a while though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can’t believe I spent money on tech and they’re just going to go and make better tech at some point in the future!?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I will be flabbergasted if the new revision they are already talking about doesn't come out next year. This isn't gonna be a console-like thing where you have one big new model every 4-5 years at minimum. I would expect revisions at a much faster cadence, though it won't always come with new processors or whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, Valve straight-up said that they're looking at doing a new revision soon with a better screen and battery life

If this is from the book they released months ago, no they didn’t.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If this is from the book they released months ago, no they didn’t.

Valve Reveals Plans To Improve Steam Deck’s Screen, Battery

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd be surprised if it was an OLED, with how important battery life seems to be to them I'd expect it to just be a better version of the current screen with better colour reproduction.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

this is literally the only sentence in the entire article that alludes to better battery life

quote:

Valve has repeatedly confirmed that the Steam Deck is a “multi-generational product” and new versions are on the way. What will they include? When I asked Yang and Griffais for the pain points they wanted to address in a sequel, they had nearly identical answers: screen and battery life

And again, it’s what they “want to address”. Not a confirmation that they will end up addressing it. Everything else discussed in regards to battery is what they’ve been saying for months and focuses entirely on installation and ease of repair.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

nah, 7 years from now we'll be begging for a Steam Deck Pro, cmon Valve wtf

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Valve, company famous for releasing sequels on time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Barreft posted:

nah, 7 years from now we'll be begging for a Steam Deck Pro, cmon Valve wtf

People were talking about a Deck Pro within a week of it releasing. We're following the Switch owner timeline pretty accurately. There've been multiple people in this thread asking if they should buy this thing that came out this year or if there was an improved version coming out soon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Deck 2 will be fast, Deck 3 is the one that'll never show up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Gabe breaking into a cold sweat when he sees that the first major Deck revision is probably going to use Zen 3 and RDNA 3.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's kinda funny that they still, technically, haven't "released" SteamOS 3.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Humble bundle package in 2027:

Steam Deck Double Piston: Giga Edition
Titanium case personally kissed by Gabe Newell
Steam Admiral's Dock with Jammy Bar
Bluetooth Haptic interactive buttplug

My sphincter is ready

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
omg this smell

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
works great on my living room TV, can't wait to subject my wife and son to hours and hours of Civ 6 couch gaming

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

njsykora posted:

People were talking about a Deck Pro within a week of it releasing. We're following the Switch owner timeline pretty accurately. There've been multiple people in this thread asking if they should buy this thing that came out this year or if there was an improved version coming out soon.

Unlike the Deck, the Switch really needs an upgrade though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

King of Solomon posted:

Unlike the Deck, the Switch really needs an upgrade though.

Tbh I'd expect Nintendo to do something completely different before doing a stronger Switch.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

PantsBandit posted:

Tbh I'd expect Nintendo to do something completely different before doing a stronger Switch.

Nintendo doesn't want to do anything so I imagine we have at least 2 more years of milking the Switch at least before they announce very minor upgrades

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm trying to install Synergy from the flatpak so I can stop swapping my keyboard and mouse from the Deck to the main rig but I'm getting a message asking me for Authentication and a Password, but I don't know if this is the sudo one I set because that doesn't seem to work. Unless I forgot it.

I don't even know if this version of Linux is even supported for Synergy. lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

There was an article just the other day saying no switch pro, just switch 2 instead or whatever their new one is called, but that nintendo was worried because the last four consoles have been a series of star trek movies; all the odd ones are bad and the even ones are good. We're on Star Trek 4 now

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

njsykora posted:

Gabe breaking into a cold sweat when he sees that the first major Deck revision is probably going to use Zen 3 and RDNA 3.

Not specifically Dreck-related, but I found this recent interview clip (of Dario Casali, a former Doom mapper, id employee, and long-time Valve employee) to be interesting and germane to the current topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbP8fg102ZY

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There was an article just the other day saying no switch pro, just switch 2 instead or whatever their new one is called, but that nintendo was worried because the last four consoles have been a series of star trek movies; all the odd ones are bad and the even ones are good. We're on Star Trek 4 now

Rumor is they're gonna make a clamshell Switch DS with two displays.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Really, all they need to do is release one that's 50% more powerful and 100% backwards compatible. It will sell blockbusters. I'd buy one just so I can play my existing switch games at a stable 30fps.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
PC 2 is also rumoured, crazy times we live in!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Really, all they need to do is release one that's 50% more powerful and 100% backwards compatible. It will sell blockbusters. I'd buy one just so I can play my existing switch games at a stable 30fps.
It would have like zero battery life. Buy a PC buddy.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

It would have like zero battery life. Buy a PC buddy.

A 50% more powerful switch might even use less power depending on what kind of chip they go with. The switch's CPU is almost 10 years old. We've got way more efficient stuff now. Not to mention batteries are better too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Is anyone working on fixed-function silicon for image reconstruction? Could it be more efficient than using tensor cores or shaders? That seems like it could be a killer feature for a Switch followup, being able to squeeze out 1080p from 540p with almost zero overhead.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If they do come out with a new steam deck with a better screen and battery, considering how part of the steam decks appeal is that its supposed to be fixable, couldn't Steam also release an Upgrade Kit for if people want to upgrade their current decks as well?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Probably, but the ‘soon’ part of this entire hypothetical was cooked up entirely in the brain of the goon who read the same “we’d like it if the battery was better, maybe we’ll address that some day” article that the rest of us did and decided it meant Steam Deck 2 was coming any day now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Assuming that the parts in the deck 2.0 have the same form factor as deck 1.0, sure. But if eg the answer to battery capacity is to increase the size of the battery and juggle the other internals around, upgrading the existing decks wouldn't be possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Randalor posted:

If they do come out with a new steam deck with a better screen and battery, considering how part of the steam decks appeal is that its supposed to be fixable, couldn't Steam also release an Upgrade Kit for if people want to upgrade their current decks as well?

Yes, especially since they're probably not changing the form factor. You can already buy the anti-glare screen on iFixit and shove it in a 64gb or 256gb Deck if you wanted. Other handheld makers have done this as well, when Retroid put out the Retroid Pocket 2+ they sold the upgraded board by itself for people who already had a RP2. Then did the same for the RP3+ (that came out a few months after the original RP3) along with the new colour shells. I'm hoping Valve do the same for the Deck, especially when the full second gen Deck comes out.