Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
That always made me laugh when Doocy (Fox News) would ask Jen Psaki something and the RW media would always come out with 'Doocy just destroyed/smashed/obilterated Psaki' and when you actually look at it, it was always her making him look like a tool.
RW media lives off of the fact their followers dont go past the sensational headline to actually find out what happened.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

They always have the most braindead takes. It's always opposite day in their world. Anyone not deep in the cult could see the Tate's feelings were so hurt he had to make a whole rear end, cringeworthy response video. That got him arrested.

No doubt he's picked up more than a few fans given his target demo but overall seems like a win for polite society.

OgNar posted:

That always made me laugh when Doocy (Fox News) would ask Jen Psaki something and the RW media would always come out with 'Doocy just destroyed/smashed/obilterated Psaki' and when you actually look at it, it was always her making him look like a tool.
RW media lives off of the fact their followers dont go past the sensational headline to actually find out what happened.

Yeah, they hate her so much and want it to be true that they'll just believe it on sight, notwithstanding she burned Tate so hard it broke his brain.

On that note I am genuinely taken aback how much unhinged hate the Right sends literal children. It's nothing new; if you were around when Clinton was in office they were very fond of attacking his literal child daughter Chelsea for being "ugly". It's only gotten worse with time though.

I never want to hear another right winger tell me that child abuse is an important topic to them. Every accusation is a confession.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 30, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I was having an interesting debate with my wife about right wing grifters. I have this theory that a lot of their crusades about moral panic boogeymen are driven by cold hard luchre-

I recall the therapist that was largely responsible for the Repressed Memories/Satanic Panic was paid a handsome sum by the county at the time to interview children. You think there's witches in your midst, you hire a witch hunter. And unsurprisingly that witch hunter is going to find exactly what you were looking for as long as you keep paying him. No witches? Then why do you need to hire a witch hunter? So I think these reactionaries are often given perverse incentives to let these issues spiral out of control.

My wife disagreed. She believed these individuals sincerely thought they were championing their cause. After all, nobody is paying that crank on the side of the road to write 8000 word long screeds about Obummer.

I do agree that to take it as far as people like Chris Rufo or Chaya Raichik you have to at least believe some of it. But would they be as motivated if there wasn't any fame or platform for them in the end?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I think you can genuinely believe you are in something (like hunting witches) for right and righteous reasons without consciously realizing you are also in it for the money and prestige. Because you are right, and all these people taking you seriously just proves it, right?

And whoops, wouldn't you know, the more witches you find, the more witches there are! That's when the grifters show up, imo. The true believers provide the template and the vocabulary, and the grifters can start finding witches too.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's for sure both.

Upton Sinclair posted:

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

From trying to be a poo poo again by trolling Greta Thunberg, getting twitter owned by the comeback and then getting busted in Romania where he moved only cause he thought it would be safe to crime there. What a complete and total loving loser who literally doesnt do anything other than bark and troll and like most right wing figures hes not even particularly good at it or apparently staying out of jail.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Some are straight up in for the grift. Others are true believers that saw the grift as a bonus. Even others started in on the grift, then became true believers.

There's always grift, though. Those people writing screed on the side of the road want to get in on the grift - they see those screeds as how to do it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Panfilo posted:

I do agree that to take it as far as people like Chris Rufo or Chaya Raichik you have to at least believe some of it. But would they be as motivated if there wasn't any fame or platform for them in the end?

Get a job in a field you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Suspicion of human trafficking too. That seems like a whole new level of absolutely monstrous even for your typical right wing influencer. This is also one of the first people Elon Musk rushed to unbam and wants to be the face of his version of Twitter. Like good loving good the world has trended in such a brutally bad direction in the last 5 years in particular when loser scum of the earth people like this are not only tolerated but elevated and celebrated by the masses for being complete pieces of poo poo that contribute literally nothing to the world or even conservative politics.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Fighting Trousers posted:

I think you can genuinely believe you are in something (like hunting witches) for right and righteous reasons without consciously realizing you are also in it for the money and prestige. Because you are right, and all these people taking you seriously just proves it, right?

And whoops, wouldn't you know, the more witches you find, the more witches there are! That's when the grifters show up, imo. The true believers provide the template and the vocabulary, and the grifters can start finding witches too.
This does make sense, yeah. I see this present in a number of things, particularly the legal system (crime labs motivated to provide the evidence the DA needs, DAs motivated to convict criminals the state sees as a problem, etc.

And there's a lot of other examples of this:

-The CEO of Proctor and Gamble being rumored to have been a Satanist and hiding satanic imagery in products, which turned out to be an urban legend originating from some Christian MLM soap company trying to compete with them. If selling soap wasn't the goal, how far would this rumor have gone?

-Pre covid one of the biggest antivax doctors was pushing his own vaccine/cure while claiming the current ones were causing autism.

-A lot of anti Lockdown rhetoric during the pandemic seemed driven by landlords and business owners financially motivated by maintaining the status quo.

-Hysteria about public schools helps push people towards private schools and homeschooling, which I'm sure has people profiting off of somehow.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yes, huge bucks in both homeschooling (parents buy pre-packaged crap lessons where Jesus starred America) and charter schools (schools run for profit, what could possibly go wrong?).

Meanwhile undermining public education and hoping for a new generation of non-thinkers to vote R because Preacher Bob says so.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Another benefit of driving people out of public schools is to push them to school systems where there is even greater control over what can be taught. The cycle of making public schools worse to drive this profit (of both monetary and ideology) can be self perpetuating.

A lot of a student's success comes down to their parental involvement. A student whose parents put time and energy into helping their kid understand school work, realize the importance of schoolwork, or otherwise be supportive of school, is a student that overall (not always) does better than the opposite. As public schools decay slowly, more involved parents flee to other schools. This leaves public schools with more of the students with less involved parents, thus more students who are lower performers. Fewer lower performing students means fewer dollars - while needing more dollars to reach kids with less involved parents or kids who have accommodations - and with metrics used to determine funding and maintaining a job, teachers and administrators leave those schools when they fail those metrics. As the metrics and funding drops, more parents pull their students out.

Meanwhile, the more involved parents and those parents who can buy private tutors have their kids in the private and charter schools, which by having the more involved parents have higher metrics. The schooling can be better, the same, or worse than public school - but if you remove the bottom 40%, and you have involved and engaged parents/extracurricular support, the student will succeed regardless.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Plus charter schools can kick out any student for any reason, while public schools are legally mandated to provide education. So public schools get overwhelmed with students with disciplinary problems, learning and developmental disorders, and yes, un/underinvolved parents (for whatever reason). Then it's "drat, public school's the worst, look at all the losers who go there" and parents get nudged towards the charter schools, because what kind of monster doesn't want their kids going to A Good School(tm)?

Rinse, repeat, profit.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Panfilo posted:

-The CEO of Proctor and Gamble being rumored to have been a Satanist and hiding satanic imagery in products, which turned out to be an urban legend originating from some Christian MLM soap company trying to compete with them. If selling soap wasn't the goal, how far would this rumor have gone?
Not just any MLM Christian soap company, but an MLM Christian soap company partially owned by (or headed by? Whatever) the DeVoss family.

Yes, that DeVoss.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Not just any MLM Christian soap company, but an MLM Christian soap company partially owned by (or headed by? Whatever) the DeVoss family.

Yes, that DeVoss.

The gently caress is it with the DeVos Family and MLM schemes? :confused:

E: Oh, that's just Amway. You're all literally just describing Amway without actually naming it. The "Christian Soap MLM Company" is Amway. Right.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 30, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Redezga posted:

I didn't realise it was Keith Apicary at first either and assumed it was revenge for Matt Watson putting a song out on the internet about loving his dad, which by Matt Watson's account his dad was very upset about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63DzIQX8K2k

Now that's what we call a deep cut.

Too bad their assistant stole hunderds of thousands of dollars from them; the Super Mega guys are pretty dope.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

nine-gear crow posted:

The gently caress is it with the DeVos Family and MLM schemes? :confused:

E: Oh, that's just Amway. You're all literally just describing Amway without actually naming it. The "Christian Soap MLM Company" is Amway. Right.
Oh, forgot it was Amway.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Fighting Trousers posted:

Plus charter schools can kick out any student for any reason, while public schools are legally mandated to provide education. So public schools get overwhelmed with students with disciplinary problems, learning and developmental disorders, and yes, un/underinvolved parents (for whatever reason). Then it's "drat, public school's the worst, look at all the losers who go there" and parents get nudged towards the charter schools, because what kind of monster doesn't want their kids going to A Good School(tm)?

Rinse, repeat, profit.

It took way too long for the government to crack down on for-profit colleges, and it's only recently seeped into the general conciousness that those schools are usually a waste of money, to which they're now facing plummetting enrollment numbers. 30 years ago the word "college" was ubiquitous with the concept of garunateed employment in high-paying fields.

Unfortunately there's always going to be a market for charters, because there is always a segment of deadbeat parents who want the type of strip-mall school that won't pester them about their kid's attendence and their kids won't whine about assignment loads.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Levantine posted:

I never want to hear another right winger tell me that child abuse is an important topic to them. Every accusation is a confession.

The current obsession with trans people as groomers is the best example yet. Nobody was taking out priests when there was one scandal after another for years and years of actually molested people, and here we are with RWM saying in so many words that the killings will continue until they "leave the children alone".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This doesn’t surprise me at all

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1608951020054368258?s=46&t=uW0hb2wDjjkIHbnIboT6hA

But it’s ok to go after ‘groomers’

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Who exactly are the Tate brothers? Podcasters? Streamers? What

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zwabu posted:

Who exactly are the Tate brothers? Podcasters? Streamers? What

Andrew was a semi-successful pro kickboxer who got really rich by laundering for the Romanian mafia, running a cam girl/sex trafficking ring , and occasionally getting attention for saying awful poo poo on Twitter. Recently he pivoted to being essentially an incel god by being this incredibly misogynistic lifestyle coach and using his army of followers as essentially a bot network to spam his profile all over social media via a pyramid scheme.

His brother is mostly just a hanger on, but I think he also helps run the sex trafficking ring.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1609062274970406913?t=ADa9pm0AuQrsP6vwKNvHFg&s=19
I swear calling it "school choice" is like calling anti abortion stances "pro life".

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://nypost.com/2022/12/30/andrew-tate-inside-influencers-toxic-life/

Looks like even the NY Post doesnt think to highly of Cigar posing twitter trolling (As far as I can tell these two things are literally all he does) bag of poo poo parodying an alpha male Andrew Tate

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kale posted:

Looks like even the NY Post doesnt think to highly of Cigar posing twitter trolling (As far as I can tell these two things are literally all he does)

I think there might be a third thing you're forgetting

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

I think there might be a third thing you're forgetting

Nah, the NY Post is fine with that part.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1609062274970406913?t=ADa9pm0AuQrsP6vwKNvHFg&s=19
I swear calling it "school choice" is like calling anti abortion stances "pro life".

“I want public funding to pay for my kids schooling, that excludes people I don’t like, but I don’t want public oversight of my kids schooling” isn’t as catchy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Murgos posted:

“I want public funding to pay for my kids schooling, that excludes people I don’t like, but I don’t want public oversight of my kids schooling” isn’t as catchy.

Oh, it is to some people.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Panfilo posted:

That's literally how the phrase came to be. Anti-public-school politicians needed a punchy name that inherently sounded "good" and "right" and that's what they came up with, because what kind of evil monster would be against choice?

See also: "right to work".

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FlamingLiberal posted:

This doesn’t surprise me at all

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1608951020054368258?s=46&t=uW0hb2wDjjkIHbnIboT6hA

But it’s ok to go after ‘groomers’

The built in assumption is that Fox News doesn't care, but I strongly suspect the plan was for him to raise his profile among their fanbase just in time for him to get martyred publicly

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/punishedmother/status/1610021507723595776

there's been a bit of an uproar on left twitter regarding boys/men getting radicalized. so who has the correct take here? i think both are right to a degree

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Why do radicalization funnels resonate with these boys so much?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

oliveoil posted:

Part of it is just normal teenage edginess. Nobody really knows who they are as a teenager, that's almost entirely what those years are about in most people.

Another part is that for a lot of people the world is pretty lovely right now and it produces a lot of anger for the seeds of radicalization to take root in.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Also they're deliberately designed to appeal to teenaged boys through their hobbies or desires. Placed where boys would congregate online and pushed aggressively by algorithms or through echo chambers.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Alt-Right Playbook discusses this in "How to radicalize a normie", but a lot of it is that they make deradicalizing hard, and a political step, whereas falling further down the pipeline is easy and "apolitical".

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

oliveoil posted:

1. It's well known that the far right is using video games as recruiting platforms
2. Also TikTok
3. After years of lockdown and remote learning, lots of kids are just mainlining this poo poo, seemingly more than ever before
4. The messages of "you're only a loser because of the left" pushes heavily on a nerve that is extra raw due to social media making kids feel particularly insecure and self conscious about themselves
5. Most of the messaging in the early stages of radicalization are quite positive and based on the idea of self improvement. It just gets more hateful the further you go down the rabbit hole.

Tech companies are doing gently caress all to address how alt right influencers game the algorithms to get eyeballs btw. Beneath it all, these people are con artists who know their marks.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Not sure I follow, shitheads target children for indoctrination doesn't mean when those children grow up they are no longer responsible for their own choices.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DynamicSloth posted:

Not sure I follow, shitheads target children for indoctrination doesn't mean when those children grow up they are no longer responsible for their own choices.

You can't solve a society-wide problem with individual responsibility. It doesn't matter if My Sweet Johnny was true and pure enough to resist if they can consistently recruit some non-negligible number of vulnerable people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Teens don't respond well to being told to look at their circumstances outside their own personal lens.