Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Powerful one local Himbo energy

Scott would also totally murder puppies. He's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I stand by my snipe

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Cyclops has long term strategic planning as a secondary mutation. He knows full well if he kills any of those puppies the High Evolutionary is going to take the survivors and turn them into super villains that blow up the school.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kalli posted:

Yeah, if Havoc's gonna be in his Inferno costume, he's gotta be way sassier

You need us to take a timeout for a potty break, Alex?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, if Havoc's gonna be in his Inferno costume, he's gotta be way sassier

I no joke love that they used this style of costume on a male character for a change.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
There doesn't seem to be a thread for posting villains being huge dicks, but I find this hilarious due to the sheer unmitigated pettiness:

Superman #9 (1987)

The joke is that real-life rich assholes do way worse stuff. Come on, Luthor, this is just pathetic.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
She's 22 with a house I'd say she's already doin alright.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Push El Burrito posted:

She's 22 with a house I'd say she's already doin alright.

Its 1987 everyone had a house and voted for reagan

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's good to know that Goblin Force is equal-opportunity slutty.

And Discount-Arcade's Murderworld is forever going to be known as Pissworld. He is the Whizzard now.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SimonChris posted:

There doesn't seem to be a thread for posting villains being huge dicks, but I find this hilarious due to the sheer unmitigated pettiness:

Superman #9 (1987)

The joke is that real-life rich assholes do way worse stuff. Come on, Luthor, this is just pathetic.

John Byrne's second-best part of his Superman reboot was fixing the pre-Crisis Superman power silliness.

The best part was turning Lex Luthor into a class IX bag of dicks. "No, dear, you must call me Lex now." The issue -- and I think it was #2 of the regular series -- where Luthor "discovers" Superman is Clark Kent is genius.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Suleman posted:

Cyclops's ex-wife and Havok's ex-love interest Madeline Pryor (clone of Jean Grey, mother of Cable, occasional demonic sorceress) is back and has kidnapped and immobilized them both. Havok is dressed up in her old stripperific costume because it amuses her, and Cyclops is surrounded by puppies so he can't do eye-blasts.

So other than trust issues, what's to keep Cyclops (who appears to have full use of his hands) from separating the puppy curtain and asking Alex "Am I looking at the chain holding me to the wall?" and then opening his eyes? Or, you know, Havok doing literally anything to help? It seems that there's nothing preventing their powers from working.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's immobilized via magic. except his face, i guess. probably because it is funnier that way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CzarChasm posted:

So other than trust issues, what's to keep Cyclops (who appears to have full use of his hands) from separating the puppy curtain and asking Alex "Am I looking at the chain holding me to the wall?" and then opening his eyes? Or, you know, Havok doing literally anything to help? It seems that there's nothing preventing their powers from working.

Siblings helping each other? Especially in a comic???

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, those particular siblings would probably already be punching either other if not for the magic paralysis.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SimonChris posted:

Superman #9 (1987)

They would later make a movie with this kind of premise, with Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore. I think it was called Sheer Unmitigated Petty Proposal.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Elfface posted:

It's good to know that Goblin Force is equal-opportunity slutty.

Tits upfront to distract or offend the enemy.

rear end in the back to inspire morale in our troops.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Elissimpark posted:

Tits upfront to distract or offend the enemy.

rear end in the back to inspire morale in our troops.

But... what if you show both to both at the same time?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grendels Dad posted:

But... what if you show both to both at the same time?

That's the Hawkeye Initiative Pose

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
So Beast was always an rear end in a top hat, huh

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

So Beast was always an rear end in a top hat, huh

He’a right

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Beasts sole job at the avengers was to stand behind people and disinterestedly say man that sucks I guess

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

SimonChris posted:

Superman #9 (1987)

The time is absolutely right to receive this concept of Luthor, particularly as the supervillain origin story. "Once, This Was Harmless Fun. Then, Cancel Culture Came for Me." Online hate mobs directed against the MSM journalist who publicized the stories of the victims. And isn't her "friend" Superman too "woke" these days? Twitter posts followed by 100 reply guys with "Virgin Superman vs. Chad Luthor" memes. And how can I be sexist when I employ a woman driver?!?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Amazing Spider-Man #380 (1993)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Superman #9 (1987) (Yes, same issue as Luthor and the waitress)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That doesn't answer anything! If the coffins were empty, how did Superman find where they actually were?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Darthemed posted:

The guy on the right is Mickey Fondozzi, a recurring mob mook who serves as a handy tool for Frank. He was the guy who kept asking Nomad which superhero he was, in the ride with pouty Daredevil in the passenger seat.

Logan doesn't, so Frank pulls a Dio.

The Punisher #17 (2002)
Do Darthemed's imgpile.com embeds work for anyone else or is it just me that has to quote and copy/paste the links?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

That doesn't answer anything! If the coffins were empty, how did Superman find where they actually were?

Superman was supposed to waste his time searching for the coffins while the Joker carried out his plans. Having found the coffins immediately, Superman had plenty of time to scan the city normally until he found them.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Admiralty Flag posted:

John Byrne's second-best part of his Superman reboot was fixing the pre-Crisis Superman power silliness.

The best part was turning Lex Luthor into a class IX bag of dicks. "No, dear, you must call me Lex now." The issue -- and I think it was #2 of the regular series -- where Luthor "discovers" Superman is Clark Kent is genius.

I had to look this up and in addition to aforementioned discovery it also contains some incredible moments of luthordickery:

Superman #2 (1987)

CLICK! WHIRR! CLACK! Ah, the 80's.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 30, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FFT posted:

Do Darthemed's imgpile.com embeds work for anyone else or is it just me that has to quote and copy/paste the links?

works on my machine

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

SimonChris posted:

This is fantastic

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SimonChris posted:

"Hard drive, you have failed me for the last time!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SimonChris posted:

Superman #9 (1987) (Yes, same issue as Luthor and the waitress)

"I gave everyone in Metropolis a lethal dose of x-rays to save my friends"

Has there ever been a story on that? Where Supes actually does emit xrays?

davidspackage posted:

"Hard drive, you have failed me for the last time!"

*shifts slot over to 'overwritable' on the diskette*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

I'm sure there's probably a silver age one out there where writers were just like "sure whatever, kids don't really know how bad x-rays can gently caress you up".

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure there's probably a silver age one out there where writers were just like "sure whatever, kids don't really know how bad x-rays can gently caress you up".

There was Red Son Bizarro, who was a failed clone of Superman by the US Government. His X-Ray vision basically cooked anyone he used it on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Infinitum posted:

This is a plot point of sorts in Watchmen.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Infinitum posted:

There was a throwaway line during that same era of Superman as that Joker story that he <i>didn't</i> emit x-rays but instead saw through solid objects due to being able to perceive naturally occuring background radiation in other parts of the EM spectrum outside normal human visual range.

But during the Silver Age at least one story had him burn a monster with his x-ray vision, so...

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, I thought the heat vision was him focusing his x-rays or something, but I might be making that up.

Heat vision does seem like a whole other category of thing from his other powers of being stronger, better hearing, better vision. It's interesting to look at Superman as an example of 100 years of power creep. Initially he could just leap over buildings, but at some point he just started to fly,

Comics!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, I thought the heat vision was him focusing his x-rays or something, but I might be making that up.

You’re not making it up. They introduced X-ray vision first in the comics and then had him heating things by turning it up. Not sure when “heat vision” became a separate concept.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it wasn’t even a 100 more like 20 as The first Crisis was specifically supposed to reign in Superman’s insane abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If he didn't already exist Superman would be a ridiculous character to create now. Like an 8-year old making up a hero with a grab bag of assorted powers who's as good or better than everyone at everything.