Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh look, Psykos just went through her first year working as a public defender.

Edit: Translated comic prior page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely love that the sisters are apparently working together on a big theatrical display but there's Saitama who just wants to tell off that sassy lost child for wrecking up his (lovely) apartment (that he was squatting in and collecting rent on)!

Also that he assumes all the monsters being held captive are "pets" and therefore it is okay for him to have his "dog" :3:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jerusalem posted:

Also that he assumes all the monsters being held captive are "pets" and therefore it is okay for him to have his "dog" :3:

This was my favorite part of the whole bit.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
tatsumaki's spaghetti technique is unparalleled

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The latest chapter on jump leaves an interesting event. Did Blizzard seal Psychos's power via kissing her under the tree?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely love that the sisters are apparently working together on a big theatrical display but there's Saitama who just wants to tell off that sassy lost child for wrecking up his (lovely) apartment (that he was squatting in and collecting rent on)!

I believe Saitama was taking cash, putting it into an envelope and putting that through a slot to the room where his landlord used to live, he was literally still paying rent on an abandoned (lovely) squatted apartment.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 15, 2022

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

oh saitama, what hijinks will you get up to next

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

I believe Saitama was taking cash, putting it into an envelope and putting that through a slot to the room where his landlord used to live, he was literally still paying rent on an abandoned (lovely) squatted apartment.
Genos would be so disappointed in me for not thinking the best of his master :negative:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Best AND dumbest :eng101:

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
The latest "Versus" chapter came out and was translated: https://po2scans.com/manga/versus/chapter-2/

My apologies if this isn't the place for this, or if people here aren't interested in discussing.

Personally, I really like the direction this is going: The humans never had a chance of beating any of these "natural predators," regardless of the match-ups. But if the entire series is about the humans trying to trick the predators into fighting against each other (E.g., super intelligent AI vs Demons) then I am absolutely on board!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Think about how exciting this fantasy setting is. Warhammer 40k levels of hosed. The implausible part of the scenario is that everyone would starve to death in a month but I can suspend my disbelief.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

No Wave posted:

Think about how exciting this fantasy setting is. Warhammer 40k levels of hosed. The implausible part of the scenario is that everyone would starve to death in a month but I can suspend my disbelief.

They can summon apples, it's fine, it's fine

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the setup kinda reminds me of Destiny, where humanity would be instantly hosed if their enemies weren't constantly infighting

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

the setup kinda reminds me of Destiny, where humanity would be instantly hosed if their enemies weren't constantly infighting

For a fan of OPM it seems like a perfect counterpoint:

"you've already seen what happens when we have an invincible hero that can never be beaten, so what about if your ENEMY is the one that is hopelessly unstoppable?"

EDIT: Hell, the fact that human civilization has existed for YEARS against these threats, suggests that the enemy might have Saitama-level apathy to getting off their assess and finishing the job!

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 29, 2022

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Versus is interesting but also weird since it feels like Im waiting for Saitama to show up and solve this problem but I know that isn't going to happen. Though if this entire manga ended up being one long con where they eventually get to the OPM universe at the very end and he did solve it that would be one hell of punchline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vise the Stompy posted:

Versus is interesting but also weird since it feels like Im waiting for Saitama to show up and solve this problem but I know that isn't going to happen. Though if this entire manga ended up being one long con where they eventually get to the OPM universe at the very end and he did solve it that would be one hell of punchline.

That would be incredible :allears:

I'm intrigued by the set-up, more for the way the various "genres" are gonna clash against each other, particularly the enemy in-fighting. I dig that the rock-paper-scissors nature of the humans against various enemy types quickly got overturned as more powerful versions showed up, before getting turned on each other because they simply can't just sit back and let somebody else get away with claiming ascendancy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm looking forward to more of Versus and just like Onepunch-Man and OnePunchMan I wish they had a schedule they stuck to. Even if it was monthly, or six weeks or every 55 days, I just wish I knew when a chapter was going to be released.

What a loving nightmare the Versus world is though. It's in the top 3 of ones I'd never want to live in, right beside Jojo and Demon Slayer.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

Bucswabe posted:

The latest "Versus" chapter came out and was translated: https://po2scans.com/manga/versus/chapter-2/

Please tell me the threat from the cavepeople world is going to be giant (like, Kaiju-sized) dinosaurs.

edit: Although come to think of it, that might be a bit redundant since I think the modern Japan world threat might end up being actual kaiju (Godzilla, Mothra, ...)

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 30, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm looking forward to more of Versus and just like Onepunch-Man and OnePunchMan I wish they had a schedule they stuck to. Even if it was monthly, or six weeks or every 55 days, I just wish I knew when a chapter was going to be released.

What a loving nightmare the Versus world is though. It's in the top 3 of ones I'd never want to live in, right beside Jojo and Demon Slayer.

I'm curious now. Why are Jojo and Demon Slayer so high up?

I mean, yes, there are very horrible things that can happen to you in both, and you wouldn't be able to do anything about them, but statistically, it's unlikely. It's not like, say, Blame!, where a life that's not a nightmarescape is a rarity.

This world seems pretty bad, but the other two, well, I'm curious what made them your top three.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

Versus is supposed to be monthly.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Versus is supposed to be monthly.

Specifically on the 26th of each month, is what I’ve heard (and what has happened for the first 2 chapters)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm curious now. Why are Jojo and Demon Slayer so high up?

I mean, yes, there are very horrible things that can happen to you in both, and you wouldn't be able to do anything about them, but statistically, it's unlikely. It's not like, say, Blame!, where a life that's not a nightmarescape is a rarity.

This world seems pretty bad, but the other two, well, I'm curious what made them your top three.

I don't even have an easy example for Part 7 or 8 but every new part of Jojo escalates how lethal Stands can be over a wider area. First it's getting bisected by a vampire in frozen time from Part 3, then in Part 4 there's an evidence deleting tank that nobody can break, also time reverses and everyone's exploded without a trace. Part 5 has Green Day mold, Grateful Dead, Silver Chariot Requiem, Part 6 has snail rainbows and predators warping into the area at the encounter rate of a Pokemon Yellow cave and time accelerating, it's all bad.

I haven't read Blame! or Berserk or anything along those lines. Casshern Sins, CastleVania, or Fist of the North Star or any 'post apocalypse' setting should probably be top of the list but I can't claim to be as familiar with those.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I don't even have an easy example for Part 7 or 8 but every new part of Jojo escalates how lethal Stands can be over a wider area. First it's getting bisected by a vampire in frozen time from Part 3, then in Part 4 there's an evidence deleting tank that nobody can break, also time reverses and everyone's exploded without a trace. Part 5 has Green Day mold, Grateful Dead, Silver Chariot Requiem, Part 6 has snail rainbows and predators warping into the area at the encounter rate of a Pokemon Yellow cave and time accelerating, it's all bad.

I haven't read Blame! or Berserk or anything along those lines. Casshern Sins, CastleVania, or Fist of the North Star or any 'post apocalypse' setting should probably be top of the list but I can't claim to be as familiar with those.

castlevania……?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm pretty lukewarm about Versus, to be honest. I realize that it's still in the process of setting up its Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, but outside of that promise and it's art, it's not really offering much else. The story is barely there, there are no characters worth of note so far and I'm not a big fan of the way fights are handled either. They remind me too much of the current MHA. If it was not written by ONE, I would be considering dropping it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

scary ghost dog posted:

castlevania……?

probably netflix castlevania

which is good, shame it's on netflix

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

castlevania……?

I mean Dio is basically Dracula. They kill him and then he comes back (almost) 100 years later

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

It's absolutely absurd how much the later part hate bystanders and want them horrifyingly dead. You can be on the other side of the planet, nowhere is safe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

It's absolutely absurd how much the later part hate bystanders and want them horrifyingly dead. You can be on the other side of the planet, nowhere is safe.

Or even just minding your own business in another dimension and get headshot by a fight not even Thoth or Epitaph could see coming.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shugojin posted:

probably netflix castlevania

which is good, shame it's on netflix

it is most definitely not good

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, they didn't even have grant da nasty in it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The series that actually made me think of this was Chainsaw Man. It's similar in how horrible things can go for you (Slowly starving to death in a timelost void where you can't do anything to escape isn't ideal), but unlike Jojo and Demon Slayer where ordinary life is going on most of the time, just at risk and getting disrupted around the protagonists, Chainsaw Man has given your odds of dying to a Devil if you live in Japan.

It's 35 percent. You have 7/20 odds of getting brutally murdered by a monster from Hell at some point in your life. And the government is trying to keep that from getting more attention because if you react to that with perfectly rational fear, Devils get even stronger.

On the 'upside', assuming you're willing to boost those odds to 19/20 or so, you can join Public Safety to work as a Devil Hunter. No experience necessary! No education necessary. Just sign up, do the training, wear the suit, and you get:

1) A union job!
2) Great pay!
3) Full benefits!
4) The right to make deals with Devils!
5) An expected remaining lifespan best measured in days!

So, at least unemployment isn't likely to be a big worry.

Feels like that would be a better top three contender, and even then it's still nicer than, say, Attack on Titan.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'm pretty lukewarm about Versus, to be honest. I realize that it's still in the process of setting up its Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, but outside of that promise and it's art, it's not really offering much else. The story is barely there, there are no characters worth of note so far and I'm not a big fan of the way fights are handled either. They remind me too much of the current MHA. If it was not written by ONE, I would be considering dropping it.

Does the current MHA solve fights by putting enemies against each other while you run away and regroup?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 31, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

3/5 of it was good to great OP, therefore it was good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Versus because it is utilizing my favorite game mechanic: Infighting.

I'm sure this'll end in 9 chapters because they won't be able to use that tactic forever even when they bring up the obvious question of 'Hey, who's the one of you in charge?' to the encroaching army of every creature that nearly wiped out humanity in their respective worlds.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Does the current MHA solve fights by putting enemies against each other while you run away and regroup?

No, but the whole "no matter what plan, attack or effort is made by protagonists, the enemies just effortlessly no-sell it, except instead of just massacring the protagonists in response, the villains just reveal to be/make themselves even stronger, so there is just an infinite doom spiral of constantly stacking yet more hopeless odds against the protagonists, but without them being ever fully defeated for some reason" is very reminiscent of current MHA.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
We spoilering Versus now?

My hope is that with the question of how to defeat the enemies solved (you can't, you rodeo-clown them into one another), One writes an earnest CW romance drama with constant apocalypses as a backdrop.

Also Netflix Castlevania owns and it's cool for people to like it.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
I have enough faith in One's writing for Versus not to end up in an endless MHA-style slog that everyone just wants to be over.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Can't believe OPM is now one of those comics where people just disappear for years even though they're important to certain plotlines

https://twitter.com/daily1punch/status/1612869450570817536

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I mean, Sonic disappeared for the entirety of the MA fight in the webcomic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Raws out: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/316190247048704205

Edit: This is about to get really fun I think

pik_d fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 11, 2023