Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Azhais posted:

Aren't vertical bars destructible while fortification are not?

this is true, i have a bridge that can drop to cover the stairwell to the top of the tower in case we face anything that can fly and destroy buildings though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

I've heard horror stories of nobles demanding specific items made from materials that can only be achieved through random artifact moods though, but I've never seen one of those myself.

And when one of them asks for a platinum bed, you can satisfy them by taking a wooden bed and decorating it with platinum studs at an anvil.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A legendary human maceman petitioned to live at my fort and after I accepted I checked his stats he was a legendary dyer and competent maceman. :what:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tuna-Fish posted:

And when one of them asks for a platinum bed, you can satisfy them by taking a wooden bed and decorating it with platinum studs at an anvil.

That's very useful to know for the future, cheers! Also, I've started making alloys from ores I'd normally just ignore, like billon from tetrahedrite, and use it to decorate my guild halls and temples. It's decently valuable, and looks pretty stylish as well, can recommend.
I'd post a picture, but my current fort is crashing on load on my last 4 autosaves, so welp, I guess it's time to start over.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Decrepus posted:

A legendary human maceman petitioned to live at my fort and after I accepted I checked his stats he was a legendary dyer and competent maceman. :what:

I feel that once he actually goes down to patrol the cavern layers he's gonna demonstrate his Legendary Dyeing skills pretty quick

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My current duke likes giant spiked balls and is constantly demanding we make spiked balls, and my current mayor likes cages and is constantly demanding we make cages, which are some extremely convenient demands and make these probably the least frustrating nobles I've ever had. I am constantly cranking out trap components, the nobles are always happy, and the thieves are, well

I have noticed one frustrating bug, though, which is that building a cage as a building counts as exporting the cage, and anyone who does so will immediately be imprisoned for violating the mayer's export prohibition. I did not notice this until after I had already mostly completed the zoo I'm building in the main hall of the rangers' guild, and now over a dozen dwarves are in the dungeon for illegally exporting cages.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They appeared to be uninterested in the bed and the pump, but the tame war dog on a chain lured them in, but it didn't appear to be immediate, just eventually

if they didn't immediately aggro on yours, a part of me wonders if the pathfinding is such that they iterate through everything over time to see if they can find a route to it and only seem to immediately lock on to an undefended fortress because most things on that list are by-definition available to path to in that situation

Very interesting, thanks for testing it. I'll give the dog another chance on the next invasion. I wonder if it tries to check the pathfinding to like, all the dwarves first and then steps down to owned animals as a secondary. That could explain the delay.

Redeye Flight posted:

These elven treecutting treaties are really starting to bite, especially since they also apply to the caverns trees. Just HOW mad are they going to be if I turn down the treaty for a year and just buzzcut down the forest out front for a one-time wood pulse? Are we talking instant vendetta or final warning territory?

If I could pull that off without needing to fight the elves (which I don't really want on this fort, the wildlife and the goblins are enough of a problem), then I could have enough wood for years more of treaties. That and I want them to keep bringing exotic animals to the fort.

So for three years running I agreed to the treaty and then just violated it and cut everything down topside that I needed. They just came back every year and made a new, more lenient demand, instead of attacking me. It started at no more than 25 and by the end they were like "ok how about you cut down less than 47?" Of course, how tolerant they are may also depend on how much they like you already, how powerful they think you are in relation to them, maybe even the traits of their civilization or leader. Who knows with this game?

Tuna-Fish posted:

Oh wow, that's really good to know! I've just been ignoring the metal bed request and they seem to deal with it. I think I've only ever seen it from the King or Outpost Liaison so it doesn't come up all that often.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Broken Cog posted:

That's very useful to know for the future, cheers! Also, I've started making alloys from ores I'd normally just ignore, like billon from tetrahedrite, and use it to decorate my guild halls and temples. It's decently valuable, and looks pretty stylish as well, can recommend.
I'd post a picture, but my current fort is crashing on load on my last 4 autosaves, so welp, I guess it's time to start over.

Is it crashing on the units load? If you have any autosave that you can load that where you can disable cavern dwellers you may be able to save it. Although if you're last 4 autosaves won't do, I can understand if you'd rather just start over rather than lose that much progress. Highly recommend disabling cavern dwellers for now until there is a patch to avoid this.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I really wanted to dig down to Fun on my new embark, but upon digging down from my third cavern, I've reached what seems to be a solid magma layer without reaching another cavern. Anywhere I make stairs on this layer I'm met with SMR or warm rock, and if I channel anywhere I get magma flow. Is there definitely a way to go further that I just haven't found yet, or is it possible there's no way to go deeper from this layer?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

emdash posted:

I really wanted to dig down to Fun on my new embark, but upon digging down from my third cavern, I've reached what seems to be a solid magma layer without reaching another cavern. Anywhere I make stairs on this layer I'm met with SMR or warm rock, and if I channel anywhere I get magma flow. Is there definitely a way to go further that I just haven't found yet, or is it possible there's no way to go deeper from this layer?

Look around for a "Gem-studded pillar", dig down through those.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I missed military gear chat, and was thoroughly confused by it. Can someone please tell me what the "optimal" uniforms for melee and ranged dwarves would be? my eyes crossed when I hit the stuff about balancing permit limits over certain body parts or something like that. I also recall someone mentioning to not give any military dwarfs backpacks, or else you'll get tons of rotting food in rooms.

Along with that, I'm looking at setting up my first squads, but literally no one of my 40+ dwarves has any relevant skills to be the militia commander. How poorly will it go if I just assign a random dwarf to that position?

Finally, and on an unrelated note, I recall someone mentioning something about the labor system being reworked, so now it's... better to have dwarves not be specialized? I think? Like if you set up all dwarves to do all labors, the game will generally pick the best dwarves for the job. But if there's no "best dwarf", like you don't have anyone with like, bone crafting experience, then if you set up a bunch of bone crafting work, eventually a dwarf or two will tend to become specialized in bone crafting? Is that how it works now? What's the best way to set up labors now, then? Just leave everyone to do everything? and only specialize specific dwarves to do important work that you want only them to do?

For content, I had an axedwarf visit and decide to stay to eradicate monsters. He's dedicating his time to keeping back the local racoon-cat population using only the stories he brought with him.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 30, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Decrepus posted:

He might well still be the best fighter in your fort. Dwarven physical skills are not great for fighting compared to humans or elves.

The only downside is that you need a human to forge his armor, he's too big for dwarven stuff. (If you actually want to bother, make him the master of a forge making leggings on repeat, make all those leggings to a specific stockpile and set them all to melt every now and then.)

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I missed military gear chat, and was thoroughly confused by it. Can someone please tell me what the "optimal" uniforms for melee and ranged dwarves would be? my eyes crossed when I hit the stuff about balancing permit limits over certain body parts or something like that.

Armor replaces clothing, all steel and high quality:
Mail shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
High boots
Gauntlets
Helm
And leather robe, and shield of any material plus a one-handed weapon.

The difference for marksdwarves is no shield and a copper crossbow. Also, there are weird bugs that mean archers don't work unless you create the squad as the default archer template. You can then later change the uniforms to better ones.

neogeo0823 posted:

I also recall someone mentioning to not give any military dwarfs backpacks, or else you'll get tons of rotting food in rooms.

You can fix this by editing schedules so that military dwarves always wear their uniforms, on duty or off.

neogeo0823 posted:

Along with that, I'm looking at setting up my first squads, but literally no one of my 40+ dwarves has any relevant skills to be the militia commander. How poorly will it go if I just assign a random dwarf to that position?
That's normal. If at all possible, have two guys above novice in the weapon skill relevant for the squad. Sparring is much faster at raising skills, and requires dwarves who are not dabbling. They can the raise the skills if the rest of the guys by demonstrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can actually craft gear for humans (and elves, or any of the animal-races for that matter), by simply making a production order, and clicking the magnifying glass, then "Choose type".

Unfortunately you have to do this for every piece of armor you make.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When a workshop has a job, it will try to assign that job to the highest skilled dwarf it can. If you only have one stonecracter, your success rate with automated stuff picking g them will be low because they'll be busy planting or whatever. But after a while, random chance will give you a bunch of dwarves with dabbling stonecrafting, and chances are good one of them will be available to do the job at any given time. Then, the automatic selection stops looking like "pick a random dwarf" and starts looking like "pick a random stonecrafter-in-training" and eventually they won't even be in-training anymore and will just be stonecrafters. If it's a task that uses plentiful materials, like stone, then chances are you'll produce more value by making sure the workshop is always in use than by making sure every boulder is handled by a master, so automatic work is better for both laziness and money

Of course sometimes you really need a masterwork bed to satisfy a prissy noble or whatever and you need to go through the effort to make sure only your legendary carpenter takes the job. But space is cheap and it's easy to have some workshops available to everyone and some that only skilled dwarves use, if that makes sense for the workshop type

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i built a water wheel, got water flowing through it, but... it's saying theres 0 power and its "inactive". are there loving brakes on it or something

Griz
May 21, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

You can actually craft gear for humans (and elves, or any of the animal-races for that matter), by simply making a production order, and clicking the magnifying glass, then "Choose type".

will long-term visitors actually pick up clothes and armor? they definitely don't swap weapons even though half of them come with a copper short sword or some other useless garbage.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

That'd new for me, thanks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

hbag posted:

i built a water wheel, got water flowing through it, but... it's saying theres 0 power and its "inactive". are there loving brakes on it or something

"flowing" water is a bit finicky, depending on what you're sourcing from-- iirc water from rivers that spawn on maps don't count as flowing until you do something that involves it needing to recalculate?

if you flip to ascii mode, water that's alternating between the single and double ~ symbol actually has flow, everything else is effectively still water, I don't know if there's a way to check it any other way in the graphical tileset

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Griz posted:

will long-term visitors actually pick up clothes and armor? they definitely don't swap weapons even though half of them come with a copper short sword or some other useless garbage.

I don't think monster slayers will ever equip stuff you make, but bards can do once they're proper citizens, and I'm pretty sure mercenaries that ask to stay use the armor designations of any squad you put them in.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"flowing" water is a bit finicky, depending on what you're sourcing from-- iirc water from rivers that spawn on maps don't count as flowing until you do something that involves it needing to recalculate?

if you flip to ascii mode, water that's alternating between the single and double ~ symbol actually has flow, everything else is effectively still water, I don't know if there's a way to check it any other way in the graphical tileset

the water has flow. im watching it go from like 3/7 to 4/7 over and over

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

hbag posted:

the water has flow. im watching it go from like 3/7 to 4/7 over and over

4/7 is the minimum water required to power a wheel, so it's possible your setup doesn't have enough water in it to be consistently powered

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tuna-Fish posted:

Armor replaces clothing, all steel and high quality:
Mail shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
High boots
Gauntlets
Helm
And leather robe, and shield of any material plus a one-handed weapon.

The difference for marksdwarves is no shield and a copper crossbow. Also, there are weird bugs that mean archers don't work unless you create the squad as the default archer template. You can then later change the uniforms to better ones.

You can fix this by editing schedules so that military dwarves always wear their uniforms, on duty or off.

Thanks for this. I somehow ended up with one each visiting axedwarf, swordsdwarf, speardwarf, and somehow two marksdwarves, both named Likot. I'll see what I can do about getting them into squads.

cheetah7071 posted:

When a workshop has a job, it will try to assign that job to the highest skilled dwarf it can. If you only have one stonecracter, your success rate with automated stuff picking g them will be low because they'll be busy planting or whatever. But after a while, random chance will give you a bunch of dwarves with dabbling stonecrafting, and chances are good one of them will be available to do the job at any given time. Then, the automatic selection stops looking like "pick a random dwarf" and starts looking like "pick a random stonecrafter-in-training" and eventually they won't even be in-training anymore and will just be stonecrafters. If it's a task that uses plentiful materials, like stone, then chances are you'll produce more value by making sure the workshop is always in use than by making sure every boulder is handled by a master, so automatic work is better for both laziness and money

Of course sometimes you really need a masterwork bed to satisfy a prissy noble or whatever and you need to go through the effort to make sure only your legendary carpenter takes the job. But space is cheap and it's easy to have some workshops available to everyone and some that only skilled dwarves use, if that makes sense for the workshop type

yeah, mostly I just currently want it so that dwarves will specialize on their own and kind of filter into their own little work zones over time. I want a few masters and am fine with a bunch of dabblers, but don't want literally everyone to be novices, incapable of producing masterworks. So just to be sure, am I fine to like, turn all labors on for everyone and let it ride? and just turn off ones I don't want certain dwarves to do, right? Like, I wouldn't want my doctor to be hauling items after a siege, for example.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

one of my ex-military dwarves i had to relieve of duty because he was in the militia before i'd made any armor, meaning he got Incredibly hosed Up and is now crippled for life
i just checked in on him and he's miserable and fighting people outside the tavern and getting hauled off to the dungeon

10/10 vet simulator

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Kylaer posted:

Can someone with access to the GPT-3 text generator please feed it the description of The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control and see what it comes up with? Or any books, I suppose, but that one most of all.

Derp, just found out GPT is freely accessible, I thought it was limited to specific people only. Here are some attempts at expanding on the best book.

quote:

Iden Hamelenses had always been told that self-control was a virtue, but as he grew older, he began to question this wisdom. In his experience, trying to exert control over his thoughts, feelings, and actions only led to frustration and disappointment. He had spent countless hours trying to resist his desires, only to eventually give in and feel guilty for his lack of self-control.

One day, Iden stumbled upon a book titled "The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control." As he began to read, he was surprised to find that the book challenged the very notion of self-control. It argued that self-control was an illusion, a product of societal expectations that did not align with human nature. Instead of trying to exert control over oneself, the book suggested that one should focus on understanding and accepting their own desires and impulses.

Iden was skeptical at first, but as he continued to read, he began to see the wisdom in these ideas. He realized that his attempts at self-control had only served to suppress his true nature and that true happiness and fulfillment came from embracing who he was, rather than trying to be someone he wasn't. Iden thanked the wizard who had written the book and vowed to abandon his pursuit of self-control in favor of self-acceptance.

quote:

As a dwarf, I have always been told that self-control is a virtue. It is something that we are supposed to strive for, a sign of strength and discipline. But as I have gotten older, I have begun to question this wisdom. In my experience, trying to exert control over my thoughts, feelings, and actions has only led to frustration and disappointment.

I have spent countless hours trying to resist my desires, only to eventually give in and feel guilty for my lack of self-control. I have tried to follow the traditional wisdom that suggests that self-control is the key to success and happiness, but it has only left me feeling empty and unfulfilled.

But then, one day, I stumbled upon a book written by a wizard, titled "The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control." As I began to read, I was surprised to find that the book challenged the very notion of self-control. It argued that self-control was an illusion, a product of societal expectations that did not align with human nature. Instead of trying to exert control over oneself, the book suggested that one should focus on understanding and accepting their own desires and impulses.

At first, I was skeptical of these ideas. They went against everything I had been taught about self-control. But as I continued to read, I began to see the wisdom in these ideas. I realized that my attempts at self-control had only served to suppress my true nature and that true happiness and fulfillment came from embracing who I was, rather than trying to be someone I wasn't.

I thank the wizard who wrote this book for opening my eyes to a new perspective on self-control. I will no longer try to exert control over myself and instead will focus on accepting and embracing my own desires and impulses. This, I believe, is the key to true happiness and fulfillment.

quote:

As a wizard, I have always believed in the power of self-control. It is a fundamental part of the wizarding way, a cornerstone of our magical practices. But as I have gotten older, I have begun to question this belief. In my experience, self-control is a meaningless and ineffective concept.

I have seen countless people try to exert control over their thoughts, feelings, and actions, only to fail and feel frustrated and disappointed. They have followed the traditional wisdom that suggests that self-control is the key to success and happiness, but it has only left them feeling empty and unfulfilled.

This is why I have decided to write "The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control." In this essay, I argue that self-control is an illusion, a product of societal expectations that do not align with human nature. Instead of trying to exert control over oneself, I suggest that one should focus on understanding and accepting their own desires and impulses.

I know that these ideas go against everything that the wizarding community has traditionally believed about self-control. But I believe that it is time for us to challenge these traditional notions and embrace a new approach to happiness and fulfillment. By accepting ourselves as we are and embracing our own desires and impulses, we can find true happiness and fulfillment.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I had been noticing a bunch of dwarves and animals getting into weird fights with nothing and finally figured out what was going on.

On this fort I tried building a bunch of bedrooms that were dug out of the floor, accessed by a channeled out hole with a hatch on it. My dining area/tavern is above the bedrooms in the empty space between all the doors.

Apparently, these hatch doors launch poo poo at ballistic velocity so I was having people get nailed with discarded socks or whatever and bruised up which was no big deal. Then I got the notification that some kid got decapitated by a flying booze pot.

I'm not redoing 100 bedrooms so the OSHA nightmare is just going to be part of the Fun.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

With enough time, any dwarf will become a legendary fighter just from practice. Instead of skill you can try matching personalities and attributes. A weak novice dwarf will have a hard time moving around in armour, while a dwarf who enjoys teaching or values advancing in a martial art will have a great time in a barracks even if they start out as a dabbler.

If you want, you can make a first squad of handpicked soldiers (strong, motivated, fine with conflict) and later on distribute them as experienced trainers to new squads. It's easier to peruse dwarven personalities when there's less of them. With a mass of armoured dwarves individual abilities are less important.

About armor: steel is best as mentioned but it's more of a question of production. I prioritize giving full steel armour to melee squads, but I try to give marksdwarves at least iron armour in the meantime. It helps them against skilled enemy shots through fortifications and protects them adequately against wildlife.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I haven't played this in 15ish years, and I for the life of me cannot figure out how to put cups in the dining hall anymore. I'm just starting out and trying to get some simple setups going.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there are some agitated fireflies hovering 40 z levels above the staircase into my fortress and half my dwarves are just standing on the hatch getting stuck in a loop of being interrupted by them every time they think of a job. Because for whatever reason, after being interrupted, they're just standing there, instantly interrupted again the second they think about work

e: "hovering" isn't even an exaggeration, the fireflies haven't moved the entire time I've been watching them. If they were flying around randomly, presumably the loop would break, but nope

ee: the entire duration of the traders being here passed without either the dwarves or the fireflies moving. ?????

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 30, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Krataar posted:

I haven't played this in 15ish years, and I for the life of me cannot figure out how to put cups in the dining hall anymore. I'm just starting out and trying to get some simple setups going.

throw a chest in the dining room and dwarves will bring some number of cups in automagically, 10 is the default but you should be able to tweak it on the zone screen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh, I clicked around in thoughts, and somehow both the dwarves and the fireflies think they're fighting, while 40 Z levels apart. So they just stand there, meanicingly staring at each other. I assume it'll end when one side dies of thirst

e: do wild animals even get thirsty? I think this might just be a death sentence. Trapped in a lethal staring contest with enemies that can fly

ee: migrants arrived while I was waiting for the stalemate to break. Most of them just stand there, staring at the flies, like the rest of my dwarves. One of them was a necromancer, who cleverly raised a giant kea skeleton, which might have helped, but the other migrants saw it and killed both him and the skeleton. RIP.

eee: the staring contest did indeed last until they started dying of dehydration. Only two dwarves didn't get caught in it. Goodbye to that promising fort

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 30, 2022

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I can't find any Flux stone in my fort so I'm just making bronze and iron. The wiki says not to overload dwarfs who are untrained with too much armor.

What should I start with? Or is it OK to overload them if they then train?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of, anyone tried out the screw pump training stat for new squads?
Basically you just set everyone in the squad to do pumping labor manually, then make a bunch of pumps in the barracks, and every time they're off duty, they'll train their stats by pumping nothing all day.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bronze and iron are roughly comparable (iron is generally better, but not by a significant marging, both will stop sharp weapons made of both), and either of these is good enough to protect you from goblins with sharp weapons. Don't bother 'upgrading' bronze to iron, it's not really an upgrade.

The second you're able to make either of these, make some mail and helms for your dwarves, it goes a long way. (The purpose of the helm here is not to protect you while you're fighting but to protect you if you're downed by pain, since creatures focus on targeting the head of unconscious enemies, and it gives the rest of your squad a window during which they can save you. Intelligent creatures with a free grasp might remove the helm tho)

In particular, I highly advise bringing along a bit of copper and tin on your embark, just to be able to make some basic early gear in case you're unlucky with your initial mining.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Decrepus posted:

I can't find any Flux stone in my fort so I'm just making bronze and iron. The wiki says not to overload dwarfs who are untrained with too much armor.

Armor will slow down the dwarf until their "ki" (reflected in the Armor User skill) increases.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Decrepus posted:

They'll train armor skill if you armor them up, but they'll be slowed down in their training if you armor them up too much. Mail + helm is the sweetspot imo. Add gauntlets and high boots when they've got a couple of levels of armor skill, and then go full plate and greaves once they're actual professional fighters instead of eager amateurs.

Steel is lighter so you can switch to full armor earlier.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fish Appreciator posted:

Legendary thongs, ITT

I'm calling it. This is my first truly successful fortress. 130+ dwarves and only about a dozen are suicidal.

Thongception

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder if the firefly thing was a pathing bug. I dug my staircase down right next to one of those really big 4x4 treetrunks cause I thought it made a neat landmark, but maybe the flies were getting confused by the branches somehow, since they were in between the flies and my dwarves.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, right, iirc leather armor lets you train armor skill, which is pretty much its best use outside of the leather torso armor also being decent padding to have under mail before you start making plate.

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 30, 2022

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I have the most misanthropic dwarf ever.

Hes miserable because he wants to hang out with friends or family. But ofcourse he has none.

Besides that he just feels nothing about everything.

I could exile him if he turns worse but what the gently caress else can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

I had been noticing a bunch of dwarves and animals getting into weird fights with nothing and finally figured out what was going on.

On this fort I tried building a bunch of bedrooms that were dug out of the floor, accessed by a channeled out hole with a hatch on it. My dining area/tavern is above the bedrooms in the empty space between all the doors.

Apparently, these hatch doors launch poo poo at ballistic velocity so I was having people get nailed with discarded socks or whatever and bruised up which was no big deal. Then I got the notification that some kid got decapitated by a flying booze pot.

I'm not redoing 100 bedrooms so the OSHA nightmare is just going to be part of the Fun.

Just remove the hatches, they don't actually serve much purpose unless you want to be able to lock in dwarves/fluids/critters.

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of, anyone tried out the screw pump training stat for new squads?
Basically you just set everyone in the squad to do pumping labor manually, then make a bunch of pumps in the barracks, and every time they're off duty, they'll train their stats by pumping nothing all day.

I haven't tried that specific technique, but awhile back the stats you got for raising skills were significantly nerfed, so your bookkeepers no longer look like Mr. The Windy Universes after keeping a ledger for a year.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 30, 2022