Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I hate this so much. That fanfare is wonderful and the custom logo is historically important. Literally the first thing you see in the first fully CG feature. I remember seeing it in the theater in the 90s.

Even in the rare cases where original logos are legally impossible to include, there's better ways to handle it. Universal wasn't able to include the original Paramount logo on their 4K restoration of One-Eyed Jacks, so their solution was to create a custom render of their current logo timed to match and with the original music underneath.

SlowBloke posted:

Beside the absolutely shittastic cases, the picks are ultra conservative, not doing fantasia, fantasia 2000 or hell even tron legacy is sorta sad.

Even with Wall-E being a one-off with Criterion, they would be smart to work with them on more projects. Or even other labels. Warner Bros. is allegedly working with Criterion on tie-ins for their 100th anniversary celebration, with the upcoming UHD of Mildred Pierce being among them.

First thing I can think of would be doing UHDs of the first five Walt-era features and maybe even doing a box sets similar to Columbia Classics.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

tron legacy

The more money Tron ends up making, the more reason they have to go forward with the third film there's been no news on in over 2 full years. Can't have that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Put in a pre-order for the Dragons Forever UHD, crossing my fingers that it doesn't get delayed again!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1608899945733709824

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Noice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The RedLetterMedia boys heard about VHS grading and are now on track to sell the most expensive VHS tape ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbdij5Vi8oY

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
RedLetterMedia just now learning about artificial scarcity.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Vinegar Syndrome found some OOP titles and slips in their warehouse and will be selling them as soon as the site reopens Jan 1st @ 12:01pm est.

Don’t Panic, Fade to Black, Spookies, Dolly Dearest, Grave Robbers (VS-331), Thriller (box), Scanner Cop 1-2 (box), Grave Secrets (VSA), Sweet Sugar, plus some Partner Label titles.

By extremely limited, I mean like a dozen copies at best.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

Vinegar Syndrome found some OOP titles and slips in their warehouse and will be selling them as soon as the site reopens Jan 1st @ 12:01pm est.

Don’t Panic, Fade to Black, Spookies, Dolly Dearest, Grave Robbers (VS-331), Thriller (box), Scanner Cop 1-2 (box), Grave Secrets (VSA), Sweet Sugar, plus some Partner Label titles.

By extremely limited, I mean like a dozen copies at best.

Better get the hell on em, last time I remember this happening there was a title I really wanted and it was gone in less than 5 mins

Oh and a reminder, for the upcoming event you can use the “Add to your existing order” option with no extra shipping charge so grab the super limited thing and check out, THEN jump back and order whatever else you want!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

really want that Scanner Cop 1+2 boxset

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

dorium posted:

really want that Scanner Cop 1+2 boxset

:same:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just found out blow out is in 4k uhd and that is a must buy iyam.

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

just found out blow out is in 4k uhd and that is a must buy iyam.

Blind bought this one and loved it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

nice. yea, it is everything tarantino wants to be but fails to achieve. it's so effortless and rules so hard. de palma :crush:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Vinegar Syndrome report:

A buddy of mine bought Voyage of the Rock Aliens and it’s like 70% of a really fun cult movie. It really peters out toward the end and there’s a whole subplot with Michael Barryman that unfortunately drags, but the first hour is pretty great and very weird. Would probably make for a fun double feature with (the far superior) Streets of Fire.

We’ve been watching a lot of action schlock this year, including Cynthia Rothrock flicks, so I picked up Sworn to Justice during the last sale.

It’s not great.

With two sex scenes in the first half hour it’s weird seeing her so sexualized in a movie when everything else we’ve watched has her as a straight up 80s action hero who’s just constantly kicking rear end. Not to say that she can’t be sexual in a movie, it just feels atypical and almost exploitive for one of her movies. It has its moments but a lot of the scenes with her and Dollar Store John Stamos really drag and it kinda forgets the unique element of its own premise (she gains psychic abilities that help her identify criminals) as it goes on.

Nice to see Mako, Brad Dourif, and Walter Koenig get paychecks for tiny roles though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Arrow is doing a survey. For Dream Release I put down Old Boy UHD for US, True Lies UHD, or Dogma UHD. I know those last two are a fat chance but they definitely seem within the Arrow lane.

https://twitter.com/TheDiscFather/status/1609247499772137472
https://twitter.com/JohnnyFocal/status/1608827601065480197

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given how the Cameron supervised T2 ended up looking, I’m holding off any excitement until these discs are in reviewers hands.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah gunna reserve any sort of excitement. Not really holding my breath for it being a top quality release.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the t2 4k version is bad?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

It’s not the worst, but it’s a huge disappointment.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

DNR'd to hell and back. Granted, it's possible that the mastering house did that DNR job to make the disc compression easier; not unheard of for disc mastering houses to do poo poo to transfers that were never intended by the filmmakers/whoever was in charge of restoration.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lionsgate really flubbed these Rambo 2, 3, and 4 subtitles. Just awful spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and 2’s subtitles didn’t even work. Tried turning them on in the menu and just on the remote, never came up.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Lion's Gate always gets a pass from me 'cause they tend to include both closed captioning and subtitles, which for some reason isn't an across the board default.

I'm not fully deaf (though I do have hearing loss), I just watch movies at midnight in an apartment. I don't need [door slams]-style captions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VoodooXT posted:

DNR'd to hell and back. Granted, it's possible that the mastering house did that DNR job to make the disc compression easier; not unheard of for disc mastering houses to do poo poo to transfers that were never intended by the filmmakers/whoever was in charge of restoration.

Yeah it’s a shame because some scenes just look fantastic, then you get a closeup of an actor and your stomach sinks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The best (non-official) T2 release is the 35MM scan with the original color timing that floated around twitter for awhile.

Then the T2 Blu-Ray from 2015 with Arnie on the Bike with the gun.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Special Silencers is ... special, but even if it wasn't I want to see every obscure Asian horror brought to HD so I'd still be stoked

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Subscriber Week is live on Vinegar Syndrome

Sidekicks
From Beyond 4K
Made in Hong Kong: Volume 1 (The Demon's Baby, Erotic Nightmare and The Deadly Camp)
Infernal Rapist
Frostbiter

Partner label releases:
Actual People
Attack of the Beast Creatures
Brother's Keeper
The First VCR + Cassettes Go Hi-Fi
Inbetween Girl
Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance
Lost Faith
Undead
When I Consume You

Also there's a daily 10-for-$10 special all week. Today's 10 films for $10: Last Gasp, Rush Week, Mai Lin vs Serena/Oriental Hawaii, Good Luck Miss Wyckoff, Trauma, Whatever It Takes, Two Lottery Tickets/A Month in Thailand, Minor Premise, Green Jello Suxx Live and Ladies Night/Her Wicked Ways

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh snap VS also added a loyalty points program

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why couldn't subscriber week be the week of the 15th? I'm tapped out due to rent, so I'll probably have to wait until Friday and see what I can nab (definitely grabbing From Beyond).

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Subscriber Week is live on Vinegar Syndrome

Sidekicks
From Beyond 4K
Made in Hong Kong: Volume 1 (The Demon's Baby, Erotic Nightmare and The Deadly Camp)
Infernal Rapist
Frostbiter

Partner label releases:
Actual People
Attack of the Beast Creatures
Brother's Keeper
The First VCR + Cassettes Go Hi-Fi
Inbetween Girl
Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance
Lost Faith
Undead
When I Consume You

Also there's a daily 10-for-$10 special all week. Today's 10 films for $10: Last Gasp, Rush Week, Mai Lin vs Serena/Oriental Hawaii, Good Luck Miss Wyckoff, Trauma, Whatever It Takes, Two Lottery Tickets/A Month in Thailand, Minor Premise, Green Jello Suxx Live and Ladies Night/Her Wicked Ways

With a very strong start with the HK Collection and From Beyond 4K I decided to say gently caress it and go subscriber this year. I have zero interest in Sidekicks (and I saw that in the theater) so I'm glad I can skip it (even if VSU should be included). Lets see what weird HK poo poo they can drag out next month (come on Region A version of Ricky-O), with that and Error_4444 doing some more action forward schlock I'm looking forward to seeing some strange poo poo.

On Error_4444 I was very pleasantly surprised with Red Spells Spell Red, but after that I'm going with the cruelty free version of these cannibal/jungle exploltation movies from now on. That along with the mukbang scene from Boxer's Omen had me blocking my eyes in my recent watches.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

grabbing From Beyond for sure, that's a no brainer. Nothing else new looks super interesting, but I'm already getting roped in on Trauma and Rush Week for the $10 sale.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I think I only want From Beyond this round, but I’m super curious to see what the VSA is for tomorrow!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m more curious on the VS Labs (VSL) stuff. They say it’s for more experimental fare; genres, eras and locations they’ve never done before.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I didn't want to spend anything to start the year considering I'm looking into a potential move in the first half of the year, but VS having a Hong Kong set, From Beyond 4K, and When I Consume You is pretty tempting. Gonna wait and see on the other releases this week before making a decision either way

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kc9E8MVvFo

I have a new go-to for whenever I feel like I have too many movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/RickDaSquirrel/status/1609443421415948289?s=20&t=_JgATADixoX1IW7n3YlUpw

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
If anyone's ordering VinSyn this week, be careful: according to Justin LaLiberty, "add to order" free shipping only applies if you have preorders. If you're only ordering in stock items, they're shipping out as the orders come in.

EDIT:

Ryan@VS clarified on the Blu-ray.com forums that this is not the case, so nevermind.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 2, 2023

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m more curious on the VS Labs (VSL) stuff. They say it’s for more experimental fare; genres, eras and locations they’ve never done before.

There's a lot of experimental and independent stuff that has been needing Blu-rays or even quality DVDs.

I think the only Kuchar Brothers release out there is a DVD of Sins of the Fleshapoids, which has a few shorts as an extra. Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle has had a BFI Blu-ray for almost two decades, but still DVD-only in the US. Flicker Alley put out a neat set of American avant-garde films years ago, but nobody has done anything close to the scope of the massive Unseen Cinema box set or the many Treasures from American Film Archives collections. There's key works like Un chant d'amour and Flaming Creatures, other filmmakers like Len Lye, Joseph Cornell, Stan Vanderbeek, and even Andy Warhol without any representation on Blu-ray.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle has had a BFI Blu-ray for almost two decades

region free to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Couldn't resist that price so I picked up two blind buys: Rush Week and Last Gasp (because I'll watch literally anything if you put Robert Patrick in it).

It says "limit one per customer" but I'm assuming that means one per customer per title, not one per customer per order.