Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Just big superwholock cosplay polycule vibes in the art and writing. It's a fine enough game, it's all skippable.

I don't know what any of those words mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

killing your own franchise's popularity is the ultimate fatality!!!

Oh no not the popularity! *counts mountains of cash made by selling hats and poo poo*. It doesn't even need to make money on its own as long as it helps advance towards the goal of making players give all of their money and receiving nothing.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 30, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

What is tumblr stink?

It's what a person starts to smell like when they use words like "tumblr stink"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Just big superwholock cosplay polycule vibes in the art and writing. It's a fine enough game, it's all skippable.

I usually don't go to bat for Hades, but I'm sure it's a much better game than whatever someone who would type a post like this thinks a good game is

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Devils Affricate posted:

I usually don't go to bat for Hades, but I'm sure it's a much better game than whatever someone who would type a post like this thinks a good game is

I genuinely surprised people bat for Hades so much - it's really not bad (I'm not into roguelike/lites in general), but the creative direction left me really cold and I'm clearly missing something, because it all seemed a bit Funko Pop Presents Greek Myth to me. I thought Transistor had a pretty good and fresh take on the whole cyberpunk-noir thing, so to bounce hard off of Hades' vibe was sad.

Edit: reading the plot, I think I got burned out on the game waaaay before it got interesting (escaped once, had no interest in doing it again), so I'll concede I'm maybe off base about this one, but its possibly just Not For Me.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 30, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if Hades didnt exist we wouldnt have that one fanart where its about love of CSPAM and something??

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know what any of those words mean.

I know what all of them mean but have no idea how the heck they're supposed to apply to Hades

Disco Pope posted:

Funko Pop Presents Greek Myth

this one makes even less sense to me. funko pops do not have personality; they only have an art style. and hades' art style is nothing like it.

Disco Pope posted:

Edit: reading the plot, I think I got burned out on the game waaaay before it got interesting (escaped once, had no interest in doing it again), so I'll concede I'm maybe off base about this one, but its possibly just Not For Me.

it sounds like the real problem is that you don't like roguelike games, and are flailing around trying to find a plot/art style/etc. justification instead of just saying that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hades is good. It's not as good as some other games but it is better than others.

Here are games it is better than: Breath of the Wild, Elden Ring, Cult of the Lamb
Here are games it is not better than: Dark Souls, God of War: Ragnarock, Tetris

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the style in hades either, but it doesn't seem worth trying to define why.

It's a solid game game though. Not as good as people make it out to be idg the level of gushing it gets. Still I got like 50 decent hours out of it for 20 bux so I can't complain.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

if Hades didnt exist we wouldnt have that one fanart where its about love of CSPAM and something??

link plz

also to the other poster itt that said Hades made their hands hurt - :same: its a lot of work to not really get anywhere

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DontMockMySmock posted:

I know what all of them mean but have no idea how the heck they're supposed to apply to Hades

this one makes even less sense to me. funko pops do not have personality; they only have an art style. and hades' art style is nothing like it.

it sounds like the real problem is that you don't like roguelike games, and are flailing around trying to find a plot/art style/etc. justification instead of just saying that.

I think its true that I typically don't like roguelikes, but I'd probably put Hades in the top-tier of the ones I've tried mechanically. I did genuinely bounce off of stuff like Dusa and the main guy calling everyone "Mate" despite sounding like a Tory Peer and it brought to mind a strain of fandom I find really off-putting. That said, it seems there's a lot more to that game than I ever knew, so while I'm probably not likely to load it up again, I think it's fair to say I misjudged it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

it all seemed a bit Funko Pop Presents Greek Myth to me.

what? This is completely incomprehensible, do I need terminal tumblr brain rot to understand whatever this is trying to convey?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Roguelikes are poo poo. It's like buying a self contained f2p game.

Procgen is good for sims not an action game. Or a deck building card game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vic posted:

Good thing roguelikes are neither of those -_-

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

No it's a bad thing. And your post made it even worse.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

its like an arcade game
you put a quarter in and play for between 1 and 30 minutes then win or die
then next time around you put a quarter in and play the same game from the beginning again, instead of picking off where you left off at your last visit to the arcade

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Roguelikes are good because they're kind of like a card game: same rules, new game each time you play. But just like card games, most of them suck and aren't very fun.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Disco Pope posted:

I did genuinely bounce off of stuff like. . . the main guy calling everyone "Mate" despite sounding like a Tory Peer

this is the first thing you've said about Hades that both is a substantive complaint and also makes logical sense. and yet it is still the dumbest possible thing to complain about.

yes it is factually true that Zagreus has a posh-sounding RP accent, and also says "mate" a lot, which is something posh people with RP accents generally don't say a lot. ok, so???

it's just weird that people asked "what the gently caress did you mean by 'tumblr stink'? please explain in different words what you didn't like about hades so that we may understand" and this is the best thing you've come up with so far.

here, i'm going to go back and fix your original post on the topic so you don't sound like an unhinged weirdo

Disco Pope posted:

Hades was fun for a bit, but I didn't find the plot/characters particularly compelling, and I'm not that into roguelikes anyway

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

DontMockMySmock posted:

this is the first thing you've said about Hades that both is a substantive complaint and also makes logical sense. and yet it is still the dumbest possible thing to complain about.

yes it is factually true that Zagreus has a posh-sounding RP accent, and also says "mate" a lot, which is something posh people with RP accents generally don't say a lot. ok, so???

it's just weird that people asked "what the gently caress did you mean by 'tumblr stink'? please explain in different words what you didn't like about hades so that we may understand" and this is the best thing you've come up with so far.

here, i'm going to go back and fix your original post on the topic so you don't sound like an unhinged weirdo

"Well, I never said I was an expert on linguistic nuances or societal norms. I guess I just really dislike posh accents and the word 'mate' because it reminds me of the time I accidentally went to a fancy tea party and ended up spilling crumpets all over the place. It was a real crumpet catastrophe. But hey, at least I'm not complaining about something totally insignificant like the shade of Zagreus' hair or the texture of his toga. Now THAT would be dumb."

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

its like an arcade game
you put a quarter in and play for between 1 and 30 minutes then win or die
then next time around you put a quarter in and play the same game from the beginning again, instead of picking off where you left off at your last visit to the arcade

satanic splash-back posted:

Roguelikes are good because they're kind of like a card game: same rules, new game each time you play. But just like card games, most of them suck and aren't very fun.

yeah both of these. It's hard to describe. It's like pedaling on a bicycle but the chain slips randomly. I bought all these games, love the game/art/music but it's like random crashes to desktop as a gameplay mechanic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best rogue-like is super metriod/link to the past randomizer hardcore mode

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, you're certainly in the right thread then, Vic.

It never ceases to amaze me how goons/internet denizens can conflate "this does not appeal to me personally" and "this is lacking in merit".

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Rutibex posted:

the best rogue-like is super metriod/link to the past randomizer hardcore mode

if you don't enjoy suitless maridia do you even enjoy life?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hades is okay. Not bad, not great, okay. It doesn't really have a great deal to offer after you successfully clear it a few times and a successful run takes about 30 minutes once you've learned enough enemy and boss attack patterns to survive until the end.

But I guess roguelites aren't really for me either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Supergiant: here a game with an interesting cast who share a lot of incidental banter and a lot of them are friends or relatives

Goonius P. Goonington: ugh, Tumblr

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i love rogue like and hades is not one

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Serephina posted:

Well, you're certainly in the right thread then, Vic.

It never ceases to amaze me how goons/internet denizens can conflate "this does not appeal to me personally" and "this is lacking in merit".

It's distressing to me that no one told you how liking stuff works.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

If making sweeping ignorant statements in this thread is wrong then I don't want to be right!

The only good Mega Man art is from America/Europe, which is why the series died once they stopped localizing the art style.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

precision posted:

Supergiant: here a game with an interesting cast

What game is that

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
Hades is good and I like the gameplay but there's just something about the art style that I hate. Give me Cult of the Lamb any day of the week.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

My guess is I'm just playing Devil May Cry badly, but it cramps up my hand way more than Hades ever did, so I feel like Hades was doing something right with how much button pressing it demands.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

link plz

also to the other poster itt that said Hades made their hands hurt - :same: its a lot of work to not really get anywhere

I played hades a lot in the first covid lockdown and it made my right hand loving hurt after a while. That game is the reason I ditched the DS4 for the xbone gamepad and bought a vertical mouse.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My hands hurt after playing Hades but I was using the donkey kong bongo drums as a controller

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are some good posters in this thread.
There are some bad posters in this thread.
They are the same posters depending on whether I agree with them.
I'd say I am the only good poster in this thread.
But I'm not. Deliberately. Which is why I'm a good poster.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm a pretty good poster imho

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i can't say for certain whether or not william henry hairytaint is a good poster but i can say for certain that he played a catboy in final fantasy 14

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If a game is causing your hands to cramp, I highly recommend binding dash/dodge/jump/whatever to paddle buttons underneath the controller.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hades is a fun game and I played a ton of it but it definitely has a tumblr style to it that can't be denied. Its like the characters are designed so that people draw fanart of them, and medusa is straight out of a cartoon network show with a big tumblr-ish fanbase

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Bring back the black and white buttons from the OG Xbox controller-S. America deserves six face buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Devils Affricate posted:

If a game is causing your hands to cramp, I highly recommend binding dash/dodge/jump/whatever to paddle buttons underneath the controller. drinking some loving water you mountain dew addicts