Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Majorian posted:

That one's a new one to me! I just looked it up and it comes from a French term I guess?

Anyway, all anti-German slurs are allowed and encouraged. This is my final ruling on the matter.

Mods stay winning. I looked it up too and it effectively means cabbage so I think I'm just going to call Germans that in English rather than French or German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Weka posted:

Some quotes from Solzhenitsyn's wiki entry. Seems like us tankies could learn to see the good in people more.

"Yeltsin decreed I be honored the highest state order. I replied that I was unable to receive an award from a government that had led Russia into such dire straits."

Solzhenitsyn claimed the Western democracies apparently cared little about how many died in the East

Solzhenitsyn criticized the 2003 invasion of Iraq and accused the United States of the "occupation" of Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.[125]

Solzhenitsyn was critical of NATO's eastward expansion towards Russia's borders.[126] In 2006, Solzhenitsyn accused NATO of trying to bring Russia under its control;

Solzhenitsyn further alleged that the theory that the Holodomor was a genocide which only victimized the Ukrainian people was created decades later by believers in an anti-Russian form of extreme Ukrainian nationalism.

Wow look at all these wacky, wrong opinions

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its so wacky that the Monarch of Germany, Kaiser Willy told his peacekeeping mission to do warcrimes against chinese people on par with Attila the Hun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

why the devil are these people settling on this line

it's outright saying "do not trust us, we do not negotiate in good faith"

I imagine its a form of petty payback to the parent org after a certain organisation blew up a certain something that was nominally useful to Germany's economy, which is now highly inconveniencing them domestically.

Limited yes but about all Germany is capable of.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

why the devil are these people settling on this line

it's outright saying "do not trust us, we do not negotiate in good faith"

They are planning on winning and reaffirming a unipolar world. it doesn't matter if the West is trustworthy because there will be no one else to negotiate with.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Futanari Damacy posted:

Wow look at all these wacky, wrong opinions

He also had some opinions re: Jews and the communist party and KGB

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Majorian posted:

If there's any silver lining to the cloud of this war, it's that Nazis keep willingly, even gleefully outing themselves.

They are gleeful because it is now acceptable to be proud of family members who were political in WW2. I'm not sure that's a silver lining.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Atrocious Joe posted:

They are gleeful because it is now acceptable to be proud of family members who were political in WW2. I'm not sure that's a silver lining.

I mean, it's helpful to know who they are, at the very least. That might not be worth it, though, you're right.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
They are out and about because now being political around and during WW2 isn't seen as a bad thing anymore lol. The fix is in. Russia is asiatic until at least the 22nd Century.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The backdoors on the BMP are only used as reserve fuel tanks for long distant marches, the main tanks are at the center of the tanks. American commentators like howling about them but usually they aren't the issue if something is penetrating the crew compartment. (Also, the aim goal of most early IFV/APCs was shrapnel protection.)

The Bradley is not at all a light tank it doesn't have the armament or armor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's definitely ethnic cleansing, any way you cut it.

But the liberals have completely robbed "genocide" of any meaning just like "imperialism" by applying it to whatever thing they think is bad.

i think this is a shocking overreaction. the recent cspam permas absolutely do not violate the geneva convention

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I don't think the BMD back doors are some terrible weakness, just funny looking. All of these IFV type vehicles have necessary compromises to keep them mobile, able to carry troops, and have some level of protection and armament.. I do think it's funny when people point out that if you sit inside a vehicle that hits the aluminum burning point (~3,300F), the crew will die. No poo poo, that's hot! They'll be dead if they're still in the vehicle when enough thermal load makes the aluminum hit the melting point (~1,200F); they won't even survive to see it burn.

The compromises get real rough for airborne vehicles though.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

He also had some opinions re: Jews and the communist party and KGB

Ah, see? That makes all of those other ones even less correct! Facts taint other facts. :dumb:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Futanari Damacy posted:

Ah, see? That makes all of those other ones even less correct! Facts taint other facts. :dumb:

hope he sees this bro

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

fat lazy infantry needing little cars to drive them around like they don’t have the legs god gave them

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Aluminium will burn pretty easily as a powder or vapour so I guess it's possible that certain round types could vapourize a small part of the armour and that certain of the different aluminium alloys used would ignite in these circumstances. Different aluminium alloys can when powdered burn at an order of magnitude more or less energy input than each other and the Bradley for instance has two main alloy types for it's armour which seem to be different in the relevant way, ie magnesium content.
This is obviously very different to the whole thing just bursting into flame but it'd still be enough of an effect to have consequences beyond the initial weapon.

Tankbuster posted:

They are out and about because now being political around and during WW2 isn't seen as a bad thing anymore lol. The fix is in. Russia is asiatic until at least the 22nd Century.

The partially Asiatic nature of Russians is all that is saving them from western degeneracy according to Dugin.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Russia became asiatic just as the Asian century finally started getting into high gear.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Endman posted:

fat lazy infantry needing little cars to drive them around like they don’t have the legs god gave them

Did you not see this photo from earlier of superior Russian technology that trains all your troops to be contortionists?

mlmp08 posted:

Bonus BMD-1 - The exit doors double as fuel tanks...

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Tankbuster posted:

Russia became asiatic just as the Asian century finally started getting into high gear.

Putin doing a "pivot to Asia" by putting his fingers to his temples and drawing them back diagonally

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Most of the time a BMP or BTR or Bradley gets destroyed or disabled, it’s due to something like “getting blown the gently caress up” or “driver crashed it doing a sick drift”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I promise to watch Pentagon Wars as soon as the US government announces a weapons package to Ukraine with bradleys in it.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Frantically painting increasingly insane nazi symbology on everything hoping it gets normalized as much as my constant screaming of "IT'S CULTURAL HERITAGE"

Weka
May 5, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

Most of the time a BMP or BTR or Bradley gets destroyed or disabled, it’s due to something like “getting blown the gently caress up” or “driver crashed it doing a sick drift”

In the case of Bradleys, that blown the gently caress up is usually by friendly fire too.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I rode in a bradly for a while as a guy in the back and I would not recommend it to anyone. Maybe people I dislike.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Requesting an exception for "boche"

Irrationally angry that the anime was actually "Hitori Bocchi", ruining my memes

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

To get back into this I bought this magazine earlier while shopping:

It's the official magazine of some army forum happening next year (Frosted Flake still around? Wanna come to Moscow in August 2023?) and the headline article is about who attacked Nord Stream.

I haven't read it yet and don't know if I will because I got distracted already.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tazjin posted:

It's the official magazine of some army forum happening next year (Frosted Flake still around? Wanna come to Moscow in August 2023?) and the headline article is about who attacked Nord Stream.

I haven't read it yet and don't know if I will because I got distracted already.

Lol at the background bernies

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

tazjin posted:

No spoilers please

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

nazi rear end ruling coalition (not the people)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think that's the annual forum for Russian military related talking heads.

The separatists on the front lines were making GBS threads on it going on about "all those swole twenty year old boys in shiny new gear posing while middle aged men and seniors in hand me down junk are fighting at the front"

That and it was also the last thing Daria Dugina was involved in before her assassination.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

chopper city posted:

More like would just have given Ukraine even more ability to continue to build up forces and doing attacks outside of this theoretical small security zone that doesn't even include the other pro-Russia/ethnically Russian areas where they would continue to be abused and murdered without reason. I'm not sure what parallel universe Russia would ever have "moral authority" in doing any kind of armed action because the entire west had already spun up the propaganda machine before 2014 (Odessa massacre who?)

You guys can split hairs about calling it genocide but I'm not sure what else to call a state actor killing people based on their ethnicity and banning their language and religions. Do you also not think there is a genocide against Black Americans because of the relatively low body count? Even if you have problems with Russia or the operation you have to admit Ukraine is a nazi government. It had to stop somewhere. Laughable that it's either going too far or taking too long for you monday morning quarterbacks

How often was this happening, outside of the Odessa massacre? I think this is something I looked up a while ago but my understanding is that after the 2015 and the Minsk agreements there wasn't any further pogroms by Azov and other Nazi groups, although there was plenty of random artillery fire killing civilians still.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.rbc.ru/politics/30/12/2022/63af35929a794728d539183b

sourcing from https://www.spiegel.de/ausland/vitali-klitschko-im-leben-gibt-es-nichts-umsonst-man-muss-kaempfen-a-109fa15b-7ca0-4811-88c5-8ade9982dfd5

so anyone who knows german can verify if they want

quote:

Klitschko said that before the Russian special operation, he insisted that civil defence should be strengthened, but the government insisted that "everything will be fine". Also, he stated, no one could imagine fighting near Kiev.

many Western experts "warned of a possible Russian attack", the authorities observed troop manoeuvres near the borders.

"That is why I hammered on the point of civil defence, saying we should prepare. But the central government said everything would be fine. <...> I was criticised for not stirring up panic. I said: don't panic, we have to be ready," the mayor claimed.

He also said that after the start of the special operation, the Ukrainian authorities were "amazed" at how quickly the Russian troops had reached the limits of Kiev. Klitschko believes that he was one of the priority targets for the seizure in order to "force cooperation".

also

https://twitter.com/ClearNewsUA/status/1608910270763790341

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1608914357832024065

https://twitter.com/ILRUSSO12/status/1608905106539577344

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Thats mayor klitsco with a steel chair rain

(I know he was mma but w/e)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Thats mayor klitsco with a steel chair rain

(I know he was mma but w/e)

boxing bruh get ur fite sports right

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Boxing pfffffffffftttttttt

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He's running

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's all about phrasing. I fire 100 shots, I get 100 hits. Were any of those hits on target? It's a mystery!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

ironic that the only precision targets getting hit accurately lately are cspam posters

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Ukraine has a whole political class of mayors who no longer reside in their constituent cities. Naturally, they are extremely well-informed and frequently cited for information byWestern media outlets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

ironic that the only precision targets getting hit accurately lately are cspam posters

fly molodomor got wings clipped. flying no molo. fly molodomor is real. etc