Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the explanations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have heard of some cities experimenting with specific chemicals or coffee grounds (???) as road salt alternatives for soil damage reasons

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

Friend built a double-walled enclosure out of fire bricks in the crawlspace under his house, it's basically a fire-resistant lockbox inside a brick box inside another brick box, with concrete lids. When he was a kid his family house burned to the ground and lost everything, which made an impression.

Makes me wonder if I should just keep our safe inside the fireplace we don’t use.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

is there a thread to ask questions about unemployment in different US states?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
There's a Legal Questions thread or there might be something in BFC.

You can ask anything in general in this thread and someone might coincidentally have a good answer.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

I have heard of some cities experimenting with specific chemicals or coffee grounds (???) as road salt alternatives for soil damage reasons

Some states don’t even allow salt for ecological reasons. CO puts sand on the road in winter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Killingyouguy! posted:

On sidewalks they use really fine grave here (or sometimes sand) that gets cleaned up in the spring. That doesn't prevent freezing obviously but helps with traction. Roads still get salted though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

We use beet juice here in Indiana.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Who or what is "dog bricker"? Name keeps coming up in random threads and I missed the whole thing what happened.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Who or what is "dog bricker"? Name keeps coming up in random threads and I missed the whole thing what happened.

Someone from a covid thread threw a brick at a dog and probably killed it. Covid thread people are uh... something else.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Would a plus-sized person survive starvation longer than an otherwise similar skinny person?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yes, your body will ration your fat and muscle to keep you alive longer in starvation conditions. Fat also stores fat soluble nutrients (A, E, D, and K), so a person with more fat on them will not end up with deficiency of those vitamins as quickly as a person with less fat. Won't help much with water soluble vitamins I don't think though.

E: this is under conditions of normal starvation, in total starvation you're not likely to last that much longer than two months no matter your starting weight. You'll just run out of glycogen stores and vitamin B and die no matter how much fat you've got.

There was a guy in the UK who checked himself into the hospital and stopped eating entirely for like a full year and went from 450 pounds to a normal weight, if you get medical assistance and your body cooperates you can live on zero food for a long time on body fat, but I'm under the impression that it's not likely to work for everyone.

PiratePrentice fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 31, 2022

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I found this.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vegetable posted:

Would a plus-sized person survive starvation longer than an otherwise similar skinny person?

that's the entire reason our bodies store fat in the first place

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Got this... thing from a flea market. It was part of a bunch of tools that originally belonged to an electrician. At first I thought it was for making witness marks but frankly it seems way overbuilt for the purpose and the marks it leaves are very slight. What is it?

The pointer slope is all tiny concentric bevels, ending with a miniscule 90 degree bevel at the tip. Pretty solid and gorgeous craftmanship imo.

It looks like the pointer thingy can be switched out. Perhaps it originally came with a variety. The back spring doesn't appear to do anything either, so I'm assuming it's just a stronger spring that can be switched in. Oddly, it's under tension when screwed shut which seems like it would contribute unnecessary wear over time. Still strong though.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 31, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a spring loaded center punch!

You press it against sheet metal or whatever, then it springs and makes a little dimple where you can then start your screw or drill.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cool! So it is kinda for making witness marks. But intended for metal surfaces? I tried it when I was drilling through a painted plaster wall yesterday but it the mark wasn't noticeable enough to be useful.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 31, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

Cool! So it is kinda for making witness marks. But intended for metal surfaces? I tried it when I was drilling through a painted plaster wall yesterday but it the mark wasn't noticeable enough to be useful.

Did you press it in until it popped? At a certain point one of the springs releases or something and the other drives the point out a bit.

Here’s a very similar harbor freight one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loaded-center-punch-621.html

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wasn't aware the spring was supposed to release. Screwed it together with the internal rod offset and now it works like a charm. Thanks!

I was puzzling over why it looked weirdly similar to a firing pin on a gun and now it all makes sense :v: I can see why it's practical, no need to carry a hammer for a drilling job with this.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 31, 2022

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

JEEZ. Curiousity satisfied thank you!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A spring loaded center punch also has another nifty purpose. If you use it on tempered glass it loving shatters. You can keep it in your car as a way to easily shatter a window and escape. A number of firefighters I know keep them on hand for the ease in busting vehicle side windows.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Folks use them to break into cars too, if that’s your jam.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Make sure you do it on a corner of the window and try to only press hard enough to trigger the punch or your hand is going through the window also.

Car windshields, since they’re laminated, will just spiderweb.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lmao, I'm learning a lot today :v:

OK another random question: When I was 6 years old, I spent a day firing very tiny jacketed (?) bullets out of a little me-sized rifle. What are they called? The leftover metal tubes are smaller than the tip of my little finger.

If context is needed, it was in California as part of the now hilariously politically incorrect "Indian Guides", basically boy scouts but we wore tiny racist feathered headbands and leather vests that we made ourselves.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Lmao, I'm learning a lot today :v:

OK another random question: When I was 6 years old, I spent a day firing very tiny jacketed (?) bullets out of a little me-sized rifle. What are they called? The leftover metal tubes are smaller than the tip of my little finger.

If context is needed, it was in California as part of the now hilariously politically incorrect "Indian Guides", basically boy scouts but we wore tiny racist feathered headbands and leather vests that we made ourselves.

Was it .22LR?

Also I always thought Indian Guides was made up in Man of the House (1995), now I know

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably .22 caliber, specifically .22 long rifle. They make lots of kid size first rifles in that caliber.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably .22 caliber, specifically .22 long rifle. They make lots of kid size first rifles in that caliber.

These still kill people if you hit them, right? Guns for kids is just loving wild to my Freedom deprived mind.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yes! thanks

BonHair posted:

These still kill people if you hit them, right? Guns for kids is just loving wild to my Freedom deprived mind.

I guess? That's the extent of my firearms experience. And yeah it's wild, I had just learned to read. I figured it was some kinda obscure BB gun thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Oh sure. It’s not a powerful round (they’re more useful for varmint hunting) but can still be deadly if it hits you in the right spot.

But yeah, ‘Merica.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I think most gun deaths are 9mm rounds, .22LR is known for being the small one that people usually don't get killed by. It's still quite capable of killing someone though, it just holds a specific place in America's weird gun culture. You're likely to find it in training situations because it's super cheap and easy to handle.

PiratePrentice fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 31, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is the "surrender cobra" ubiquitous across all cultures? That is, is it learned or innate?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I feel like I read something online (so therefore it is Fact) that .22s have been used for a lot of assassinations partially because they’re a small enough round that they penetrate the body but don’t have enough energy to exit the body. The bullet stays inside and bounces around and fucks stuff up worse than if it were to just cruise right through.

I have no idea whether or not this is true, or if this is actually why it has been used for assassinations vs. their relative ease of use/availability.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

kedo posted:

I feel like I read something online (so therefore it is Fact) that .22s have been used for a lot of assassinations partially because they’re a small enough round that they penetrate the body but don’t have enough energy to exit the body. The bullet stays inside and bounces around and fucks stuff up worse than if it were to just cruise right through.

I have no idea whether or not this is true, or if this is actually why it has been used for assassinations vs. their relative ease of use/availability.

I don't think that's very plausible in most cases, you might get one bounce if it hits a bone but honestly a .22LR doesn't have enough energy to make it that far through tissue regardless. If you manage to shoot someone from beneath the chin you might do extra damage to the brain by ricochet, but honestly I think the mafia assassinations using .22 caliber just comes from the fact that it's easier to clean up after a gunshot that doesn't usually leave an exit wound and it's way quieter than most other firearms. A suppressor on a 9mm round is still quite loud, but a suppressed .22LR is only kinda loud in comparison.

There are cases where a ricochet made it farther into the body than it normally would but I think generally you're not relying on the ricochet so much as you are just relying on getting really close to someone and shooting them a bunch of times, which is pretty lethal regardless of caliber.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BonHair posted:

It's a small round, and much, much less powerful than virtually all other rifle rounds. Even less powerful if fired from a handgun. But any ammunition can kill someone under the right circumstances. If you're shot in the arm with a .22, that's a trip to the hospital but unlikely to be lethal. In the back of the head from 5 feet? Likely a trip to the morgue.

And even here in Texas, very few people I know would consider a .22 rifle or pistol to be a "child's gun," but it's probably by far the most common "first gun" a lot of people own. They're relatively inexpensive to buy & use, very accurate, and safer than most other guns, simply because it's a less-lethal round.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but handguns and handgun ammunition (9MM, .45, etc) are designed to kill people. Not to wound, not to hunt animals, but to kill people. Same can be said for full-size rifles and rifle ammunition (5.56 NATO, .223, etc), though they are also commonly used for hunting large game. .22 long rifle is for target shooting and varmint hunting...rabbits, squirrels, other small nuisance animals.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Lincoln posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but handguns and handgun ammunition (9MM, .45, etc) are designed to kill people. Not to wound, not to hunt animals, but to kill people. Same can be said for full-size rifles and rifle ammunition (5.56 NATO, .223, etc), though they are also commonly used for hunting large game. .22 long rifle is for target shooting and varmint hunting...rabbits, squirrels, other small nuisance animals.

Yeah it's good to remember that handguns are pretty much useless for anything other than killing people, which is the task at which they excel beyond almost anything else when taken in full practical measure.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PiratePrentice posted:

Yeah it's good to remember that handguns are pretty much useless for anything other than killing people, which is the task at which they excel beyond almost anything else when taken in full practical measure.

theyre also sometimes used for killing angry bears
or for killing the owner's nuts when holstered incorrectly

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

kedo posted:

Not first hand experience, but my best friend of twenty some odd years was a combat medic in Iraq and Afghanistan, and went on to work as a paramedic in Texas. He said .22 was the worst to deal with. A more powerful round was typically an in -and- out situation and he could plug a guy until they could medivac him. But .22 was usually stuck in them and he had to try to dig them out.

Maybe it was just worse for him personally, and not that guy that got shot.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

My dad shot gophers with a .22 when he was a kid (in the 40s), got a couple cents per head from farmers. So was a kid's gun in some cases at least.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Is the "surrender cobra" ubiquitous across all cultures? That is, is it learned or innate?

What's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Trapick posted:

My dad shot gophers with a .22 when he was a kid (in the 40s), got a couple cents per head from farmers. So was a kid's gun in some cases at least.

I mean any gun is a kids gun if you give it to them but he was using a .22 because it's the most practical gun for the job, not because he was a kid.