Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Duuuuuuuuude. Have you ever really thought about like, maybe we're characters in a game, man? That's fuckin' crazy.
Concerning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Imagine getting boo'ed by NPC's.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PITY BONER posted:

NPC theory words

Actually it's based on the idea that anyone who isn't a shitposting fascist is basically not a real person and so you shouldn't feel bad when you do bad things to them.

Like seriously, there's no deeper meaning or like actual sincere belief in a simulation. It's about how liberals are all sheep so indoctrinated by groupthink and/or predisposed to it by virtue of their feminine genetic inferiority that they do not have actual personhood and so treating them like cattle or worse is fine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

Depopulation is kinda rough for the current generation as they retire though since those elderly folks are now being supported by a smaller working cohort. China and Japan (and a few other countries) are experiencing it and it has real and tangible negative macroeconomic effects on the quality of life for both the retired and workers since you either need to cut services or increase taxes to maintain service levels.

the boomers that bought McMansions and gave themselves extravagant pensions and then eliminated them for the next generation?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Actually it's based on the idea that anyone who isn't a shitposting fascist is basically not a real person and so you shouldn't feel bad when you do bad things to them.

Yeah, it's very purposely this. If Hitler had this language he'd use it in a heartbeat.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. I hate constantly fighting with the stupid gyroscopes in phones and pads. I wish there was just a portrait-landscape button instead of having to wiggle it just right

there is, if you go into the drop-down settings there's a rotation lock toggle. then if you rotate it the other way an icon will appear in the corner that you can press if you want it to switch orientation.

android works like that at least, i assume iphones have a similar feature

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elon thinks he might be an NPC and for once I agree with him.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

bird with big dick posted:

Elon thinks he might be an NPC and for once I agree with him.

Elon thinks he's the main character but he's the cautionary tale whose dark fate you piece together through recordings in the vault.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Elon is an NPC: Never Present CEO 🤣🤣🤣

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

steinrokkan posted:

I mean I think the few remaining Twitter employees wish he was that.
The problem is he's a present CEO, and his presence is obtrusive, obnoxious, and dangerous.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
You look down and see a tortoise, Elon. It's crawling toward you...

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
NPC is just a replacement for "sheeple" and the people using the term are just as clueless as the people talking about "sheeple" were.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ryde posted:

NPC is just a replacement for "sheeple" and the people using the term are just as clueless as the people talking about "sheeple" were.

To me it sounds worse, even. Like sheeple were people who were thought to just be followers whereas NPCs they don’t even view as humans. It’s really disturbing.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah, it's way worse.
Sheeple are people, just dumb and easily led ones. NPCs, by definition, are not people. NPCs are objects put into the game world to be dealt with as you please.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

NPC "theory" is perfect for someone like Melon because it's self aggrandizing.

I'm wealthy and relatively successful, thererefore I must be a genius.
Most people aren't this wealthy, therefore they aren't as smart as me.
If I'm smarter than most people, maybe I have some secret knowledge they can't see.
Therefore this is all my world and everyone else is just an NPC living in it.

I don't knowif that makes sense or not but it's basically just "wealthy == better than" dressed up in techbro/futurist clothing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
NPCs have all the power since without them you can't advance the main story

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Elon is a player character, but he prefers to persist in the doomed world he has created

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Less Fat Luke posted:

Elon loves using Japan as an example of a dire shrinking population while ignoring the extremely obvious fact that they barely allow any immigration.
spoilers: it's because he doesn't want to solve the 'problem' with immigrants.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

NPCs have all the power since without them you can't advance the main story

Oh snap. If we just stop accepting quest items then society will collapse.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Elon is a player character, but he prefers to persist in the doomed world he has created

Lol. Imagining Elmo using a paperclip in the wrong place, dooming society.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I used to be a twitter poster but I took an arrow to the knee

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
:elongate: Anyone that disagrees with me is an NPC infected with the woke mind virus. :elon:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Negatively-Profitable Capitalist 😂😂😂

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

spoilers: it's because he doesn't want to solve the 'problem' with immigrants.

The weeb dream of impregnating all of Japan like a doughy modern Genghis Khan :allears:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Strong Sauce posted:

i mean they might be different types of tweets but this is already how twitter works so i have no idea how this is exciting.

you know how people hate when company's change around their design because they're use to the old one?

That's what made me leave fark back in the day, after all

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Who’s Caius in this scenario? His dignity?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

War Wizard posted:

Oh snap. If we just stop accepting quest items then society will collapse.

Unfortunately the quest item turns out to be "money"

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Imagine choosing to play as Elon

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i hope the elon pc gets petrified and his char is permadeathed

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It's too bad Andrew Tate didn't have any t shirts that could have clarified his lack of involvement in any human trafficking

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I prefer human public transportation

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PITY BONER posted:

Idiot :words: on "NPC Theory"
Nah dude it's just fascist dogshit to rationalize sociopathy

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 31, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ellipson posted:

Who’s Caius in this scenario? His dignity?

Justin Roiland

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

NPC "theory" is perfect for someone like Melon because it's self aggrandizing.

I'm wealthy and relatively successful, thererefore I must be a genius.
Most people aren't this wealthy, therefore they aren't as smart as me.
If I'm smarter than most people, maybe I have some secret knowledge they can't see.
Therefore this is all my world and everyone else is just an NPC living in it.

I don't knowif that makes sense or not but it's basically just "wealthy == better than" dressed up in techbro/futurist clothing.

It also means he can operate without regard for anyone else’s feelings or well-being. Fire 75% of your employees before the holidays? Sure. Some of them get deported as a result? Lol gently caress ‘em. They’re not real, so they can exit the building by taking a flying leap off the roof for all he cares. It’s just a simulation, man!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Almost Smart posted:

It also means he can operate without regard for anyone else’s feelings or well-being. Fire 75% of your employees before the holidays? Sure. Some of them get deported as a result? Lol gently caress ‘em. They’re not real, so they can exit the building by taking a flying leap off the roof for all he cares. It’s just a simulation, man!

Right, and it's hard to tell whether the chicken or the egg came first: was Musk always an unfeeling sociopath who didn't consider anyone else's needs, or did he buy so deeply into "NPC theory" that he became that way? Probably the former since he was born wealthy as gently caress

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
solipsism is a hell of a drug

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It seems like accusing others of being NPCs deserves a one-way ticket to the guillotine, this is not a punishment it's merely an experiment that you should be eagerly partaking in to prove that you're The One or whatever. If you're too scared to go then you have to admit that you're the same as everyone else

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Right, and it's hard to tell whether the chicken or the egg came first: was Musk always an unfeeling sociopath who didn't consider anyone else's needs, or did he buy so deeply into "NPC theory" that he became that way? Probably the former since he was born wealthy as gently caress

The stairs incident suggests the former, yeah.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even assuming the most generous "it was for a party" bullshit, this is still how the guy and his mummy choose to dress:

Like dude was always living away from reality and always had that stupid "well I'm still the most special boy" bank account confidence to fall back on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do the player character types consider themselves immortal, like they're elder scrolls essential or w/e? I assumed they think of themselves as the only ones with free will, a sort of god's chosen few granted a complete soul, and the rest of us are just set dressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaraptor
Dec 10, 2004

Life, uh...finds a way
It bothers me how his mouth frowns when he smiles.

Better example

Megaraptor fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 31, 2022