Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Someone would have to set up a mirror with a spliced tape recording of Hogan talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Did anyone ever try sitting down with Hulk Hogan and having A Talk? Maybe about how his actions were hurting the long term stability of the company? Sometimes it helps to have a good heart to heart chat, it can really go a long way.

I feel like the only time this might have worked was Bischoff talking him into turning heel for the nWo. And even then, Hogan had already seen how his actions were hurting himself, with reduced merch sales and buyrates.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

disaster pastor posted:

I feel like the only time this might have worked was Bischoff talking him into turning heel for the nWo. And even then, Hogan had already seen how his actions were hurting himself, with reduced merch sales and buyrates.

When the nWo turn came about Hogan's last WCW PPV was Uncensored 96 (the Doomsday Cage) which did the most buys in WCW history. The writing was on the wall in many ways, but Hogan could easily delude himself into thinking he had a lot of juice left as a face especially with Nash and Hall coming in as potential foils.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Nash and Hogan had real heat during the nWo, right? What was it specifically about?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

When the nWo turn came about Hogan's last WCW PPV was Uncensored 96 (the Doomsday Cage) which did the most buys in WCW history. The writing was on the wall in many ways, but Hogan could easily delude himself into thinking he had a lot of juice left as a face especially with Nash and Hall coming in as potential foils.

That's true. I was thinking about the overall trends, how all the PPVs after he arrived in '94 decreased year-over-year in '95, but it's a valid point that he'd just seen SuperBrawl and Uncensored perform strongly with him on top. So maybe Bischoff does deserve more credit.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Part of WCW's fall is that it came so quickly.

SuperBrawl IX, in February 1999, over a year after Hogan/Sting, with the main event of post-Fingerpoke Hogan vs. Ric Flair, had the third-most buys in WCW history, behind only Hogan/Sting and the Hogan/Rodman vs. DDP/Malone tag.

When were you going to have a talk with Hogan about how he's destroying the company? After Fall Brawl 1999?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It is really kinda wild how fast that company died. Compared to TNA which found a way to survive in one for or another, or modern day companies that just are too big to die it's kinda wild how WCW went under

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Part of WCW's fall is that it came so quickly.

SuperBrawl IX, in February 1999, over a year after Hogan/Sting, with the main event of post-Fingerpoke Hogan vs. Ric Flair, had the third-most buys in WCW history, behind only Hogan/Sting and the Hogan/Rodman vs. DDP/Malone tag.

When were you going to have a talk with Hogan about how he's destroying the company? After Fall Brawl 1999?

Yeah

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hogan seems like the type of slimy bastard who could take such a conversation and spin it around, convincing you he's your best friend and he's really doing all this for your benefit, brother.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like any "How could WCW have survived" theorizing has to assume Hogan is there and work around him. If we go all the way back to the end of 1993, WCW was such a different company that you can imagine whatever you want and the game stops being fun. At that time they were desperately trying new things and losing money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nash and Hogan had real heat during the nWo, right? What was it specifically about?

You can find videos of Nash talking about it, but apparently in large part it comes down to Hogan's ego. Apparently he and Hall were not fans of Hogan's creative control either because it would mess up their stuff as well (citing that Hogan would shoot things down but never had any replacement ideas) and was all too happy to wash his hands of booking Hogan.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

You can find videos of Nash talking about it, but apparently in large part it comes down to Hogan's ego. Apparently he and Hall were not fans of Hogan's creative control either because it would mess up their stuff as well (citing that Hogan would shoot things down but never had any replacement ideas) and was all too happy to wash his hands of booking Hogan.

Yeah, and IIRC Hogan was very much aware that Nash and Hall were considered younger and cooler, and did not want them to be in a position where they could come off as bigger than him in any way.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

It is really kinda wild how fast that company died. Compared to TNA which found a way to survive in one for or another, or modern day companies that just are too big to die it's kinda wild how WCW went under

if AOL Time Warner hadnt killed the TV deals, it probably could have made it to someone who wasnt WWF picking it up

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the thing is on top of Hogan having creative control, Bischoff largely agreed with him regarding who was worth pushing and who needed to be kept down. He thought having a Dusty finish to Starrcade 97 was a good idea. He kept the nWo dominant because he thought it was good business (and it was, for a while.) Hogan was part of the problem but Bischoff was an enabler.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah it's kind of funny, but for how much is made of Hogan's CC clause he absolutely didn't need it once the NWO took off and Bischoff was still in charge. Bischoff literally booked himself to be Hogan's sniveling little flunkie because, "that's a shoot, brother".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

if AOL Time Warner hadnt killed the TV deals, it probably could have made it to someone who wasnt WWF picking it up

After being strung along by Bischoff for months and months while losing 500K a week killing the thing was probably more pragmatic than waiting around for a buyer to come along. And at that point Thunder was beneath the TBS station average and Nitro was at the average so this wasn't even vital programming they would be saving.

Hogan and Nash were obvious political rivals towards the end of 97 and then through most of 98 but they made up in late 98 when they agreed Nash would kill Goldberg's streak and Hogan would get the title.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hogan's run in late 98 on did not help the company at all but I'd argue Russo being hired as the booker is the real death kiss on WCW. Yeah before than the product was getting awful but it was still WCW and could be rebuilt but once Russo was brought on and it became bad WWE attitude era (which wasn't any good) that pretty much sealed the fate as the product began running off the WCW die hard fans

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's impossible to pinpoint one decision because they made SO MANY bad ones, they stepped on every rake they could in the space of two-odd years. Was it Russo? Was it when Bischoff challenged Vince McMahon to a fight? Was it the Fingerpoke? Was it the Nitro with no wrestling in the first hour? Was it the Nitro where the champ lost the title in the first hour and got it back in the main event?

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
It was David Arquette.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It was making Kevin Nash the head booker and booking the worst TV in history that cut the buyrates so low the company went from making more money than any company in history to losing money in one year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Integrated Houston posted:

It was David Arquette.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hogan's run in late 98 on did not help the company at all but I'd argue Russo being hired as the booker is the real death kiss on WCW.
No way.

After Charles Guiteau shot President James Garfield, one of the attending physicians was a quack named Willard Bliss. He quickly took control of the proceedings and kept probing the wound with his dirty fingers, misdiagnosing everything, and trying quack cures like pumping bouillon up the president's rear end. Guiteau even tried to argue that he just wounded Garfield, the doctors killed him. Russo was Doctor Bliss.

Russo didn't even have the book and write any Nitro scripts until late 99. A lot of damage had been done. If we're going to hold any single person responsible, it's got to be Bischoff before anyone else. He was Guiteau, the narcissistic maniac with a dick problem.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/RealDDP/status/1608922845916336131

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That was such an insane loving thing to do and also the coolest

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Story time with Dallas Page Bay bay

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

No way.

After Charles Guiteau shot President James Garfield, one of the attending physicians was a quack named Willard Bliss. He quickly took control of the proceedings and kept probing the wound with his dirty fingers, misdiagnosing everything, and trying quack cures like pumping bouillon up the president's rear end. Guiteau even tried to argue that he just wounded Garfield, the doctors killed him. Russo was Doctor Bliss.

Russo didn't even have the book and write any Nitro scripts until late 99. A lot of damage had been done. If we're going to hold any single person responsible, it's got to be Bischoff before anyone else. He was Guiteau, the narcissistic maniac with a dick problem.

Bischoff did a lot of damage and had to go but before Russo you had enough talent and loyal audience that you could rebuild the company. It'd take awhile but it could be done.

Russo's run killed that chance. Not only was the product bad it was bad in a knockoff WWE way. The die hard WCW fans that stayed loyal through some bad runs started leaving cause of that. It was the true point of no return for the company

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I seriously can't even watch Russo booked Nitro for fun. It's just bad bad, not fun bad.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

https://twitter.com/Sting/status/1608976618462285826

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

It was making Kevin Nash the head booker and booking the worst TV in history that cut the buyrates so low the company went from making more money than any company in history to losing money in one year.

Can anyone give examples of Nash's terrible booking that killed the buyrate

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

Can anyone give examples of Nash's terrible booking that killed the buyrate

The Great Poop Feud of '99.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

The Great Poop Feud of '99.

I stopped watching sometime around 2000 so I should have been watching around this time but man I have no idea what you're referring to lol

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
TWO BLOCKS, LEFT RIGHT, GOTTA GO

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
QUICK PICK WHAT'S A QUICK PICK

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

I stopped watching sometime around 2000 so I should have been watching around this time but man I have no idea what you're referring to lol

It's sad that people are ignorant of such a famous feud.

Randy Savage and Kevin Nash feuded in the summer of 1999 over Nash's WCW title. The feud started like many Poop Feuds do with Savage repeatedly putting makeup on Nash.

Then, like all poop feuds do, it began to involve poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0U2_YstJQk

But Randy Savage would seek his revenge in what took this from a Poop Feud to a Great Poop Feud (the greatest in TYOOL 1999)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN27gVousj8

There would also be kidnappings, a Quick Pick, white hummers, a DQ in a PPV main event and the title changing hands in a tag match the next month, and then being won by The GOAT Hulk Hogan the next night on Nitro rendering the Great Poop Feud of '99 kind of pointless, but setting Randy Savage Up for Poop Feud 2 which culminated on PPV vs Dennis Rodman.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lord.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

MassRafTer posted:

Randy Savage and Kevin Nash feuded in the summer of 1999 over Nash's WCW title. The feud started like many Poop Feuds do with Savage repeatedly putting makeup on Nash.

But Randy Savage would seek his revenge in what took this from a Poop Feud to a Great Poop Feud (the greatest in TYOOL 1999)

There would also be kidnappings, a Quick Pick, white hummers, a DQ in a PPV main event and the title changing hands in a tag match the next month, and then being won by The GOAT Hulk Hogan the next night on Nitro rendering the Great Poop Feud of '99 kind of pointless, but setting Randy Savage Up for Poop Feud 2 which culminated on PPV vs Dennis Rodman.

Lmao this is great

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
One of the late stage WCW things I recall is Randy Savage announcing he would reveal the future of wrestling he was passing his mantle to in a ramble even for him promo before just leaving.

Did he ever reveal who he was talking about or was it just a thing that was dropped?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

a feud so hype that "GOTTA GO" takes on at least two meanings

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

One of the late stage WCW things I recall is Randy Savage announcing he would reveal the future of wrestling he was passing his mantle to in a ramble even for him promo before just leaving.

Did he ever reveal who he was talking about or was it just a thing that was dropped?

He never spoke another word on WCW TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I remember when it was announced that WCW was going to be sold, or specifically sold to WWF, I hadn't watched WCW for a while. So I flip over and it's a feud between Dusty and Ric Flair, and Ric Flair has a donkey he's named "Dusty's rear end" and I didn't last another minute.

Hogan's said in interviews during his divorce that they were basically burning money while he was on top in WCW. So I don't think anything would have gotten Hogan to do something that might have slowed down his personal income for the good of the company.