Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The clock tries to tick forward, but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Why is that?

just adding a little excitement to the excrement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i've got a shitload of eneloop clones but i also have big boxes of alkaline AA's and AAA's. i'm not going to bother loving recharging the batteries in my coffee scale, and alkalines last like multiple presidential terms in storage

yeah, my dad gives batteries as useful gifts occasionally and they compliment our rechargeables for a lot of low and slow drain items in sometimes cold places like a motion light by the back door

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't be a wuss, get out your bench power supply and recharge those alkalines

https://goughlui.com/2018/08/05/project-examining-capacity-of-recharged-alkaline-aa-batteries/

we had a charger that would get about ten cycles out of alkalines when i was a kid as long as you followed directions and timing. it sounds a lot like the device that person tests and it claimed to do nicad as well

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't be a wuss, get out your bench power supply and recharge those alkalines

https://goughlui.com/2018/08/05/project-examining-capacity-of-recharged-alkaline-aa-batteries/

lol @ this comment

"My mom had a friend working at a Photo store and would bring a ~1kg bag of AA cells fished out of recycle basket every 1-2 months. I sorted them out looking for >1V ones, which wasnt too hard as most came from early digital cameras notorious for very high voltage cutoff, and tried light recharging in modified NiMH charger. More than half came out great, rest either didnt take the charge or pissed base all over the place. Easy source of free AA batteries, perfectly usable in clocks, toys, flashlights, and other non critical use scenarios. I did that for almost 10 years, until Lion cells became popular/affordable."

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol king

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

really? i picked up a 360 controller that i hadn't used in years the other day and was shocked to find it still worked. there was a pair of amazon basics rechargeables in there

for a while, amazon's rechargeables were supposedly white label eneloops and i have a handful of them in my battery bin doing fine :hfive:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they really are pretty great. like most of the people posting about them i use em in a bunch of low-drain stuff, they've easily lasted like 5 years. granted a couple failed here and there eventually, but i've got a surprising number of them that are pretty old

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Isn't there some old guide like this where the solution for used motor oil was basically "Just pour it into the dirt because that's where it came from"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. burn your batteries, pour your motor oil in the ground, and just drop your razor blades in the wall.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Isn't there some old guide like this where the solution for used motor oil was basically "Just pour it into the dirt because that's where it came from"

you know it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

those razors in the wall were a fun 'oh yeah, that's what that slot in the vanity was for' moments when my dad and i updated by parent's old bathroom. like, he knew it was for that but forgot it was there, so it was a big rusty blade avalanche in the sink and lots of surprise

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 31, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol oh god my apartment in boston had one of those razor holes

one of my friends was over one time and she was like "hey whats this?", so i turn around to see her trying to jam her hand in there and literally went "NOOOOO"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
chill dude, it's just a hole in the wall. what's it gonna have in it, a pile of rusty razor blades?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jabor posted:

chill dude, it's just a hole in the wall. what's it gonna have in it, a pile of rusty razor blades?

- person slashed by rusty razor blades

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the battery and motor oil ones I get in a "these are technology things and if a manual is telling me this is fine it must be fine" but the razor blades is always... how do you not realize you're making a pile of dirty razor blades

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

*throws more plastic poo poo in the garbage*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

much like shoddy coding, it's a classic 'this is a problem for future people' solution. my dad never used safety razors so they were all previous owners dumping it forward on the first person to try to modify the house

i also wanna say some had a small tin to collect the razors? ours didn't, it was a half-assed cut in the vanity and it all fell on a beam in the wall lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

quiggy posted:

the battery and motor oil ones I get in a "these are technology things and if a manual is telling me this is fine it must be fine" but the razor blades is always... how do you not realize you're making a pile of dirty razor blades

That is one of the more baffling ones

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the idea of needing to be responsible with waste, especially waste that isn't immediately dangerous, is a relatively new concept for us i think. it almost seems like human nature to shrug off small incremental changes as non consequential. our brains have a real hard time dealing with big picture, future risk/benefit types of things usually

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there was also that hundred years or so where technology and energy availability increased so much that, sure, why can't we hope that somebody will invent a way to magic away all this poo poo?

Mr Fusion etc

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

quiggy posted:

Boomer problems require boomer solutions.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

That is one of the more baffling ones

the idea was probably that the house would be torn down before the wall even remotely filled up with razors

Nitrousoxide posted:

Boomer problems require boomer solutions.

boomers weren't the ones building houses with the razor slots in the 1950s. they were the ones getting cut up when they renovated the bathroom in the 'starter house' they bought when they were 24

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 31, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
broke out my trusty Radio Shack cassette head demagnetized, only to find the battery and contacts all corroded away. bit of vinegar & baking soda cleaned up the contacts, and the late of my LR44 button cells went in, and it works fine.

now I just gotta take the entire cassette mechanism apart and try to get that working lol. and sorry random internet site, I'm not paying like $40 for a Fostex repair manual.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the bathroom in my home office has a razor hole. maybe i should use it

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dumping motor oil reminds me of times beach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Beach,_Missouri

in the early 70s a whole town and also some individual property owners hired this dude to come spray used motor oil on their roads and properties to control dust

10 years afterward the town flooded and they discovered that in addition to hauling used oil from gas stations, oil guy also mixed in dioxin-tainted sludge from a chemical plant, and then sprayed the whole shebang on the roads

ultimately the EPA bought the whole town out and bulldozed it into an incinerator

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
drat, why am i pouring this poo poo into a hole in the lawn when i could instead get paid to aerosolise it and spread it all over the place?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the fact that they still make and sel those stupid "heavy duty" carbon zinc batteries is baffling to me like what are they even good for?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

chucking onto a baseball diamond or, if you aren't in philadelphia, through the window of a payday lender

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

polyester concept posted:

the idea of needing to be responsible with waste, especially waste that isn't immediately dangerous, is a relatively new concept for us i think. it almost seems like human nature to shrug off small incremental changes as non consequential. our brains have a real hard time dealing with big picture, future risk/benefit types of things usually

i read a book about the hanford plant recently that talked about how one of the reasons they were fine with just dumping nuclear waste everywhere in the early days was because it was thought it would either get diluted to harmless levels or just get washed down into the ground so deep nobody will ever have to worry about it and i think a lot of thinking around waste and pollution back then was that

there's just so much empty space around us and below us and above us, it will just go away and we'll never have to think about it again!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shame Boy posted:

i read a book about the hanford plant recently that talked about how one of the reasons they were fine with just dumping nuclear waste everywhere in the early days was because it was thought it would either get diluted to harmless levels or just get washed down into the ground so deep nobody will ever have to worry about it and i think a lot of thinking around waste and pollution back then was that

there's just so much empty space around us and below us and above us, it will just go away and we'll never have to think about it again!
Yeah people just pretty much threw that poo poo wherever, with considerations being more like "let's not have it be literally and obviously in the drinking water" or "does a person with some money have to smell it," with the occasional and mildly laudable "can I use this refuse to produce a NEW industrial product?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

the fact that they still make and sel those stupid "heavy duty" carbon zinc batteries is baffling to me like what are they even good for?

taking apart to get a carbon electrode for middle school science projects like electrolyzing water to get hydrogen and oxygen, for one.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

there was even a saying about that philosophy, "the solution to pollution is dilution"

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Seems reasonable to me.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

the worlds worst glory hole

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean the oil was sucked out of the ground to begin with, why not just put it back into the ground

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

:manning:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Twerk from Home posted:

I bet that there's nonstop lithium battery fires at every city's waste management now. So many people must chuck small batteries in.

not quite but we're (!!) concerned about enough to start installing thermal cameras with auto fire suppression systems

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. burn your batteries, pour your motor oil in the ground, and just drop your razor blades in the wall.

maybe telephone poles would last longer if they were coated with motor oil

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

people didn't understand just how toxic this poo poo actually was

it's kinda understandable I guess? for most of human history, the peak of sanitary knowledge was "don't poo poo in your water source"

industrial-scale production of ultra toxic chemicals that stick around and remain dangerous for long periods was very much a 20th-century development

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Main Paineframe posted:

it's kinda understandable I guess? for most of human history, the peak of sanitary knowledge was "don't poo poo in your water source"

there are parts of recorded history where this needed to be rediscovered, lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, like half of every grad school cohort has to independently discover "don't poo poo where you eat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

the batteries in our bathroom clock are almost dead and it just pathetically tries and fails to move the second hand lol

i could replace them but it's kind of entertaining to watch

the clock is trying to tick but it can’t, not without your help. why aren’t you helping?