Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

MKM is king poo poo of gently caress you moutain, imo. HP will shred animals and ghouls, then you have the good poo poo to pop right through any lovely bandit ot hunter armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

7.62x39 will always be a reliable, relatively inexpensive workhorse for games like STALKER, Tarkov, and ZS.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I just went to the industrial area for the first time and brought what I THOUGHT was an appropriate amount of ammo

Lots of blinks!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ZS is kicking my rear end. Everything kills you so fast.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GruntyThrst posted:

ZS is kicking my rear end. Everything kills you so fast.

Make sure your armor is repaired, also get better armor when possible. The Class 4 armor Barman sells that looks suspiciously like a Sunrise Suit from STALKER is a pretty solid option that will last you the whole game potentially. Needs a rank/rep level increase or two though.

Also, take it slow, don't just run around, you can right click aim to look further.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah in Zero Sievert if you don't just run around you can avoid most enemies easily. Sometimes Boars will somehow see me from farther away than I think makes sense, but if you just walk around slowly and keep scanning around you can see enemies before they can see you. I've added a scope, flashlight, and laser to my ec74 and can generally kill most boars/wolves/snorks or whatever they are pretty easily before they really pose a threat as long as I have HP ammo. One of the pop-up tips (i think) also said that if you keep your mouse on an enemy there is less recoil, so I try to do that also. I have a vs98 that I need to repair and try out also, but honestly so far the ec74 has been my go-to and I've not had any problems, though I've stuck to the first two maps mostly - my save is around 17h old now so I've basically just been grinding the forest and makeshift camp a lot. It's a good game to just play a map or two whenever you have the itch, though generally I burn out after half an hour or so and switch games.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'd recommend an ECM when you can get it. That gun can be your workhorse for the entire game if you want it to.
Also, flashlights are bad. Use night-vision instead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How is Green Hell? Is it something where you have to work incredibly hard just not to die so you never really get to explore the game beyond that?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's gone through some changes and refinements since last I played Green Hell, but when I played as long as you constantly check for leeches and know to find a coconut early and turn it face up to get fresh rain water I never found staying alive to be all that difficult, even with the 4 types of nutrition. You can (and have to, in the campaign) forage for what you need. I never felt that much pressure to survive.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure if its been posted before but for ZS beware scrapping stacks of items, because they can often give resources as if they were single items themselves. You have to separate out the items by hand before scrapping them to get everything out of it. Don't be like me an accidentally scrap 25 nails to get one scrap.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not sure if its been posted before but for ZS beware scrapping stacks of items, because they can often give resources as if they were single items themselves. You have to separate out the items by hand before scrapping them to get everything out of it. Don't be like me an accidentally scrap 25 nails to get one scrap.

It is annoying as gently caress and I hope they fix it soon. Unless I missed something the only way to separate them out is manually splitting every stack down to one and their stack splitting shortcut is probably the most annoying version I've ever encountered.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bhodi posted:

It's gone through some changes and refinements since last I played Green Hell, but when I played as long as you constantly check for leeches and know to find a coconut early and turn it face up to get fresh rain water I never found staying alive to be all that difficult, even with the 4 types of nutrition. You can (and have to, in the campaign) forage for what you need. I never felt that much pressure to survive.

Okay that sounds good. I saw early reviews complaining that the 4 foods you need meant you spent all your time trying to find the right foods to not die you never really got to experience the game. It sounds like they fixed it. During the neebs gaming vids on it I saw them building a decent number of things. Also them missing they picked up rocks and leaves that had centipedes on them, and they couldn't figure out why they kept getting poisoned. That was pretty funny.

I did restart Long Dark at not Pilgrim difficulty, I did still turn off aggressive animals. When play pre release, it was just wolf after wolf after wolf after wolf. It was incredibly not fun. I'd prefer to try to not freeze to death without being attacked constantly.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 31, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Does Icarus still suck? It's been out for a year now. Surely it's matured into a playable game by now?

Edit - I'll bite the bullet and try it out. According to Reddit it's not terrible for solo. Multiplayer is still iffy...

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 31, 2022

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it true that Project Zomboid and State of Decay 2 have no end-goal besides "survive until you're dead"? I tried The Last Stand: Aftermath and enjoyed the top-down and more measured pace compared to other roguelikes and hear Zomboid is that on steroids, but I also like having a 'you win' screen to aim for rather than incrementing the 'days survived' counter.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

twistedmentat posted:

Okay that sounds good. I saw early reviews complaining that the 4 foods you need meant you spent all your time trying to find the right foods to not die you never really got to experience the game. It sounds like they fixed it. During the neebs gaming vids on it I saw them building a decent number of things. Also them missing they picked up rocks and leaves that had centipedes on them, and they couldn't figure out why they kept getting poisoned. That was pretty funny.
Green Hell has a lot of focus on survival vs nature rather than against enemies or wildlife (though that is a factor) and keeping yourself fed and hydrated is more of a persistent problem than you usually see in games like this, where all that is only an issue at the very start. You do have more and more opportunities to stockpile food, especially as you find more ways of preserving food and storing water, but every now and then an injury or illness will cause you to need to slow down, recuperate at base, and dip into your stocks. I personally really appreciate having to be cautious and deliberate about my health. That said, I play with nutrition turned to the hardest difficulty and even then it's still not prohibitive for your actions of exploring, especially as there's usually a lot of food just out in the jungle ready to be picked up and eaten raw if you know where to look.
Plus the game has a lot of individual difficulty controls so you can turn off hostile attacks or scorpions, or tweak hunger requirements up or down as you prefer. It's pretty easy to fine tune to your tastes.

Pierson posted:

Is it true that Project Zomboid and State of Decay 2 have no end-goal besides "survive until you're dead"? I tried The Last Stand: Aftermath and enjoyed the top-down and more measured pace compared to other roguelikes and hear Zomboid is that on steroids, but I also like having a 'you win' screen to aim for rather than incrementing the 'days survived' counter.
Zomboid yes, but I think SoD2 has a win condition where you clear all the infection-spewing "plague hearts" from a region which knocks out the big threat. Each surviving nest gets harder when you destroy one. There is, I believe, an option after doing all this to move to a new map and do a New Game+ sort of thing but that's still more or less your win condition.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Zomboid has no end goal but State of Decay 2 has a quest chain to win a map, based on the class of your leader. You can then either choose to move maps, or to win outright. If you choose to win outright the colony is over, but you earn a "legacy boon" that you can use for future starts.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Good to know, thanks!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Canuckistan posted:

Does Icarus still suck? It's been out for a year now. Surely it's matured into a playable game by now?

Edit - I'll bite the bullet and try it out. According to Reddit it's not terrible for solo. Multiplayer is still iffy...

Would be curious to hear your findings when they coalesce

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

How is Green Hell? Is it something where you have to work incredibly hard just not to die so you never really get to explore the game beyond that?

It's got a bit of a learning curve until you learn the specific formula for which food fills which of the four types. Once you get that down its pretty straightforward, but still a fun game because its fairly unique in focusing purely on the survival, health and environmental aspects of a survival game.

Early on, where its the most difficult is its very prone to cascading problems leading to your death. One or two health problems and if you mess up you can quickly spiral till you die or go crazy.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
On the note of Green Hell, try to avoid the wiki at first since so much of the game's challenge comes from learning what does what, what's safe to eat if prepared in what way, what dressing treats what injury most effectively, how to craft certain things, etc etc. Once you know the systems by heart it's rather easy and makes a nice 'chillout and build a cool base' game, but there's genuine challenge and tension during that first blind playthrough before you know what's what.

That said some of the crafting recipes have like, no hints that they exist and you have to luck into crafting them via item combining trial and error. First time I played through I never figured out bone armor was a thing that existed for example.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The recipe system you learn on goes by a sort of "warmer/colder" hint method. When you put any item in your crafting bench, it'll show you a number of pips representing the most possible slots for any recipe that involves that item. As you add other items, it will either blank out (indicating no recipe exists that uses all the items present), or adjust the displayed pips to show you're getting closer to a recipe and how many items are left to find for it. A bit of trial and error and heavy use of rope/sticks will get you a lot of discovery.
That said the one hint I will give is that I initially thought only backpack items could be crafted with. But items that you have to carry in both hands and can't place into your backpack can still be used for recipes, stuff like long sticks, banana leaves, and palm fronds.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vib Rib posted:

Green Hell has a lot of focus on survival vs nature rather than against enemies or wildlife (though that is a factor) and keeping yourself fed and hydrated is more of a persistent problem than you usually see in games like this, where all that is only an issue at the very start. You do have more and more opportunities to stockpile food, especially as you find more ways of preserving food and storing water, but every now and then an injury or illness will cause you to need to slow down, recuperate at base, and dip into your stocks. I personally really appreciate having to be cautious and deliberate about my health. That said, I play with nutrition turned to the hardest difficulty and even then it's still not prohibitive for your actions of exploring, especially as there's usually a lot of food just out in the jungle ready to be picked up and eaten raw if you know where to look.
Plus the game has a lot of individual difficulty controls so you can turn off hostile attacks or scorpions, or tweak hunger requirements up or down as you prefer. It's pretty easy to fine tune to your tastes.

Ooh, that sounds definitely worth 20bux.

That other info is cool. The crafting part of theses games is what i like the best, and having a wide range of resources and just figuring out what they do is a big part of it. Why i liked grounded so much, you'd find something new, and you'd go analyze it and discover that it helps you make a new weapon or a chair or something.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Scaramouche posted:

Would be curious to hear your findings when they coalesce

At about 2 hours in, the early game has nothing we haven't seen before. The animal AI is pretty wonky and it's easy to kill wolves with a wooden spear. No teleporting bears yet, so that's something.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZERO Seivert:

So uh, I was playing last night year and the power flickered while I was mid-run. Deciding to go asleep and play more in the morning, I have booted up my game and my current save went from 29h Xm to... 0h 0m???

I have loadout and all the items I had picked up during the raid, but everything else has reset as thought it were a new game. So I'm rocking a SEVA suit, a modded out SKOP H, a mostly broken but tricked out .45 ACP Vrizz Sector and the top of the line night vision. I also have my entire stash still.

But I have no base modules, no quests completed, all my skills have reset to 0 and when I tried selling something it said my Charisa leveled up to... 0???

Gonna play around some more and see if the save is totally borked but as of right now uh, never quit mid-raid for any reason I guess is my advice.

Also Happy New Year!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
That's a known bug for ZS.

The game automatically backs up your save file, and if for some reason your save game has been reset, you can go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ZEROSievert and find save files with prefix "backup" for different slots, for example, if you are using slot 3 for your game, then you will find "backup_save_3.ini", "backup_save_general_3.ini", and "backup_save_player_chest3.ini",All you need to do is delete the "backup" in the file name and rename them to "save_3.ini", "save_general_3.ini", and "save_player_chest_3.ini", and your save game will be restored to your previous session.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

esquilax posted:

Zomboid has no end goal but State of Decay 2 has a quest chain to win a map, based on the class of your leader. You can then either choose to move maps, or to win outright. If you choose to win outright the colony is over, but you earn a "legacy boon" that you can use for future starts.

The way to look at PZ is that to take the loading screen at face value: “this is the story of how you died”, not the story of how you lived.

Most people make up their end goal - like a 16x run with no respawns to kill all zombies on the entire map (something to the tune of 1,000,000+ zombies), or fighting your way into a high pop area and setting up a base in an unlikely area, like the strip club in downtown LV.

I’m now 4 months into that 16x pop run and have finally cleared Rosewood and likely killed about 60k zombies (I’ve died several times along the way). Muldraugh is next with an eventual goal to create a base on mansion row in LV.

Hopefully with the introduction of NPCs and animals it will give the game some type of endgame content as once you have enough supplies and an established base it can get boring very quickly.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Canuckistan posted:

That's a known bug for ZS.

The game automatically backs up your save file, and if for some reason your save game has been reset, you can go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ZEROSievert and find save files with prefix "backup" for different slots, for example, if you are using slot 3 for your game, then you will find "backup_save_3.ini", "backup_save_general_3.ini", and "backup_save_player_chest3.ini",All you need to do is delete the "backup" in the file name and rename them to "save_3.ini", "save_general_3.ini", and "save_player_chest_3.ini", and your save game will be restored to your previous session.

Good to know. I've taken it as a chance to fully respec, though losing out on the crafting skill books I'd lucked into finding in chests and from Igor is a bit of a bummer. Having my stash as a buffer to get over the initial hump also kept it less frustrating.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I'm sure other folks have talked about it (there's also been a recent video by OperatorDrewski on it but if you're not also into tactical / milsim games you may have missed it) but for those who may have an inclination to get back into DayZ but want something new, I highly recommend trying out the StalkerZ mod.

It's a revamp with a whole new Pripyat map, and at least on the server I'm playing on it also has tarkov-style extraction and safezone (for traders) along with all the other usual types of mods. Really changes the game and I've been getting into DayZ all over again.

Still need to actually try the STALKER Anomaly / GAMMA mod though, thats supposed to be great survival play too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The two issues i'm running into in Long Dark is food and weight. Yea I don't need the rifle and the revolver, but outside of that, things I need to have while exploring all seem to weigh me down so much. I need an axe, water, something to start fires with, and some fuel for it, light source, bandage, painkillers and some food. Okay, now i have a full pack and the second i pick anything up, i've got a sprain risk. Early on i realized i was carrying 20 books around, so I got rid of those, but still, i'm always either at or above weigh limit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

twistedmentat posted:

The two issues i'm running into in Long Dark is food and weight. Yea I don't need the rifle and the revolver, but outside of that, things I need to have while exploring all seem to weigh me down so much. I need an axe, water, something to start fires with, and some fuel for it, light source, bandage, painkillers and some food. Okay, now i have a full pack and the second i pick anything up, i've got a sprain risk. Early on i realized i was carrying 20 books around, so I got rid of those, but still, i'm always either at or above weigh limit.

being alive is a PITA the thread

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, ZS has me in the mood for a single player FPS in the same style but there just isn't one out there. I tried one called Marauders whose store suggested it was cooperative PVE but lol nope just another PVP shootfest with some bots on neutral areas.

I hope ZS really sticks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man, ZS has me in the mood for a single player FPS in the same style but there just isn't one out there. I tried one called Marauders whose store suggested it was cooperative PVE but lol nope just another PVP shootfest with some bots on neutral areas.

I hope ZS really sticks.

is this a joke or have u never played stalker

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Got green hell last night and tried it out, trying to not look up anything on a wiki.

I spent maybe an hour just looking for rocks because I didn't know you have to harvest them from big rocks. Then I just hosed around for even longer because I really have no idea what I'm doing and I get lost a lot. Finally I got super lost and died, and on loading my save again, I saw that there's an axe at the starting structure! That would have saved me a bit of time!

Question, are you supposed to make fires under shelters?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

is this a joke or have u never played stalker

Many times, including some of the hardcore mods, but you have to admit that it's showing its age.

It's also not the run-loot-extract model, which is what games like Tarkov and ZS build themselves around. If you get shot and die you reload the quicksave you made two minutes back, there isn't a lot of actual progression loss from dying. ZS is softer since it just resets you instead of scrubbing a character but still you lose what you had for the whole run.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I hope ZS really sticks.

I couldn't agree more. STALKER 2 can't come soon enough.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Actually talking about STALKER reminded me of Cherynobylite which has been quietly developing since I played it like two years ago, I'll download it again and see if it has shaped up well. It's "enhanced edition" instead of early access now so hopefully it's at least done.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 2, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

redreader posted:

Got green hell last night and tried it out, trying to not look up anything on a wiki.

I spent maybe an hour just looking for rocks because I didn't know you have to harvest them from big rocks. Then I just hosed around for even longer because I really have no idea what I'm doing and I get lost a lot. Finally I got super lost and died, and on loading my save again, I saw that there's an axe at the starting structure! That would have saved me a bit of time!

Yes, even if it's just a single frame to keep the rain off. GH is weird in that rocks are harder to find than food, in most survival games where they're a resource they're everywhere much like real life. GH you can only find them in specific places and like you said, harvest them from large ones or happen to find small ones but the spawn rate seems worse than the large ones.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say your watch has a compass on it which will help with the getting lost part.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

twistedmentat posted:

A: you dont need both guns (you dont need either gun!)
B: you dont need something to start fire with and fuel. just use the fuel on the ground!
C: whats your light source? just use a torch from a fire
D: water comes from fires, you dont need to carry much

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

redreader posted:

Yep, otherwise rain douses them. A covered fire is a good early investment for any small base, probably only second to a shelter or covered bed.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Many times, including some of the hardcore mods, but you have to admit that it's showing its age.

It's also not the run-loot-extract model, which is what games like Tarkov and ZS build themselves around.
I'd give up a lot to have a purely co-op extraction-based game like Tarkov, ideally in first person. No disrespect to ZS but first person hits harder. It kind of frustrates me that Tarkov has an offline/co-op mode where you don't have to deal with PVP, but it's purely practice only and nothing you do there is saved. They've also said they have no intention of ever changing that, even though they easily could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well I finally am feeling like I have my head above water in ZS. I scrimped and saved and finally earned enough for a decent backpack and a sunrise suit, so I won't die immediately in the face of incoming fire. I've got my starter 74u kitted out pretty nicely, and took an MKM from one of the early quests, which now has a nice scope and a 35 (wow) round magazine on it. On more sedate raids I may not even have to reload it!

I took a tip from someone upthread who suggested sneaking into the mall for supplies to make modules from and, uh, it didn't quite go as planned. Instead I came across a Crimson outpost, which got attacked in turn by Hunters (they died horribly), Blinks (oh my god what the gently caress), and then a squad of wandering Green Army mooks. Mission aborted, I just hoovered through the bodies since I'm neutral to both Green and Crimson. I waddled my fat rear end to extract with: A Scar-H, P90, MP5, and some form of semi-auto shotgun, I think.

Now, to figure out some way to repair these things to usefulness.