Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

Americans, even (especially?) leftists, think every bit of international unrest is CIA funded. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but I've seen it be the default viewpoint. Its because they're pig headed chauvinists with brains poisoned by cheap ground beef and white supremacy , in my opinion.

You saw this with the Iran stuff recently too. I have no doubt that the CIA has its grubby little hands in the pot but the protests against the morality police were very real and not solely a project of CIA agitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
The morality police are cia

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I’m part of the cia.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I'm ur boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Me too and I love hamburgers.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
CIA is hollowed out and their COINTEL projects have been offloaded to unpaid volunteers. US State department abandoned it's power when it started clawing back the fake Havana Syndrome benefits. Truly the copper has been stripped out of the walls.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

amerifats ate some of the worst parts of everything

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

crepeface posted:

^ didn't read that wall of text sorry

That's cool you don't gotta, but that might be why you're full of poo poo

Internet Poster
Nov 1, 2020

KirbyKhan posted:

CIA is hollowed out and their COINTEL projects have been offloaded to unpaid volunteers. US State department abandoned it's power when it started clawing back the fake Havana Syndrome benefits. Truly the copper has been stripped out of the walls.

The CIA are more powerful than ever in Jack Ryan Season 3 on Amazon Prime Video

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/LyleJMorris/status/1608576029693710337

lmao at our rotting blob if not for the possession of world ending nuclear stockpiles

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Demanding China experts speak Chinese is ableist.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

In Training posted:

Americans, even (especially?) leftists, think every bit of international unrest is CIA funded. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but I've seen it be the default viewpoint. Its because they're pig headed chauvinists with brains poisoned by cheap ground beef and white supremacy , in my opinion.

not american, not white.

im not saying that there wasn't unrest and dissatisfaction with current zero-COVID policies, but from everything i saw, characterising what happened as mass uprisings is just parroting the same western bullshit.

like, taking real dissatisfaction and stoking it into a mass action is what they do. if there's a history of it and i see dodgy poo poo like protestors speaking the wrong language, misspelled signs, screenshots of bbc journalists in coordinating protests right near where US embassies used to be, i don't think it's a stretch to assume it's NED bullshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

(from t.me/it_vatnik/1141, via tgsa)

Russia's plan is to start producing 28nm semiconductors by 2030, so that puts them almost two decades behind.

China would be a decade behind if they start production sometime in the next 5 years?

Although I don't know anything about lithography, or how long it takes for this development process to roll out.

my read of this as a know-nothing layman is that they're developing an "original" lithographic process that would allow them to produce chips in that 28nm range in a way that doesn't require them to have access to the current EUV method used by the Dutch ASML company, since sanctions prevent them from getting that hardware. Instead of trying to get that hardware by other means, or developing a copy of that hardware, they're taking a different approach entirely.

28nm lithography was current in ~2014, so if they manage to start churning those out in 2030, that would put them ~16 years behind

AFAIK China is already capable of producing chips in this range, and is supposedly closing in on 7nm capability, so this would be more of an additional/alternate path for them rather than a primary one

as a final note, it should again be noted that having top-tier lithography is not necessarily as important as one might expect, because a lot of chips outside of contemporary computer and smartphone parts use fairly large/old lithographic processes. That you can produce them at all is important, but you don't need 7nm to supply your 80s-era missiles and vehicles and consumer appliances with chips.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KirbyKhan posted:

the new malaysian PM is a guy who chaired the IMF and CSIS claimed it as the culmination of years of work with NED funding. last i checked, the BRI delays didn't go through, but the plans for a state owned 5g network is under review now

https://www.ned.org/region/asia/malaysia-2021/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Red and Black posted:

I don’t know, why are you such a relentlessly bad poster

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Dec 30, 2022

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

China's ambassador to the US, Qin Gang, just got promoted to Minister of Foreign Affairs (MoFA deez nuts lmao)

https://www.guancha.cn/politics/2022_12_30_673534.shtml

quote:

According to the news from CCTV's "News Network" on December 30, the No. 129 State President Order stated that according to the decision of the 38th meeting of the Standing Committee of the Thirteenth National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China on December 30, 2022, the exemption Go to the position of foreign minister that Wang Yi concurrently held, and appoint Qin Gang as foreign minister.

Congrats to Mr Qin and all members of the Gang Gang.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

crepeface posted:

the new malaysian PM is a guy who chaired the IMF and CSIS claimed it as the culmination of years of work with NED funding. last i checked, the BRI delays didn't go through, but the plans for a state owned 5g network is under review now

https://www.ned.org/region/asia/malaysia-2021/

2.1 Million USD? Chump change. Call of Duty got so much more. Back in the Dullus days they'd blow up a briefcase with 2 million USD just to scare a guy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
seems like they got more efficient then!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

KirbyKhan posted:

2.1 Million USD? Chump change. Call of Duty got so much more. Back in the Dullus days they'd blow up a briefcase with 2 million USD just to scare a guy.

it's a good thing that the state department can only give money if there's a public paper trail, and only as much as has been documented. I’m glad the intelligence agency hamstrings itself in such a way, to keep things fair

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

The Party’s briefing “notes” in this episode state that dynamic zero-Covid was an unqualified success and demonstrated the superiority of China’s Communist system over the feckless and immoral West, but that it can now be cast aside because omicron is “just like the flu”.

This is scientific malpractice and the Chinese authorities know it. A high-powered US study by Johns Hopkins University found that the risk of severe disease or death from omicron was “similar to ancestral lineages” (other than delta) among those either unvaccinated or never exposed to the disease.

This would include the original Wuhan strain but also the Kent variant that killed large numbers in the UK’s second wave just as the vaccine rollout was starting.

A new preprint from Queensland’s Berghofer Institute says omicron’s BA.5 sub-lineage attacks the brain and “shows increased neurovirulence compared to earlier omicron sub-variants” in mice. It is not yet reproduced in human studies.

To throw open the borders at this moment and disgorge planeloads of infected travellers on the world comes close to a hostile act, given the known risk of new variants arising. Tests found that 62 of the 120 passengers on a flight from Beijing to Milan on Dec 26 were positive.

it can now be cast aside because omicron is “just like the flu”. This is scientific malpractice and the Chinese authorities know it

:thunk:

I'm increasingly convinced anti-china propaganda is also constructed intentionally to drive anyone with china sympathies insane

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

it can now be cast aside because omicron is “just like the flu”. This is scientific malpractice and the Chinese authorities know it

I'm increasingly convinced anti-china propaganda is also constructed intentionally to drive anyone with china sympathies insane

"To throw open the borders at this moment and disgorge planeloads of infected travellers on the world comes close to a hostile act, given the known risk of new variants arising"

Lol Jesus Christ

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

disgorge? sounds bad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

In Training posted:

this isn’t unique to america. if a dog farts a Turkish politician will blame it on the games of america. Turkish leftists are more likely to call out the cia and the nato by name (why don’t they put an article before nato anyway? I thought the nato loves articles ). Ground beef is really, really loving expensive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The CIA does take advantage of every bit of dissent that it can in target nations whenever the opportunity rears its head

It just doesn't always start the dissent, nor is the dissent always an illegitimate complaint just because the CIA is involved in it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ardennes posted:

The death rate of Omicron BA.2 has dropped off a lot, admittedly there hasn’t been a population as unaffected as China at this point but the death rate dropped significantly in relative terms in the rest of the world. There are going to be deaths.

But more significantly, there was going to be a clear limit of how far lockdowns could go especially since a full lockdown of Beijing much less other major cities got affected. I don’t think the public would take a nationwide mass lockdown. COVID isn’t gonna away either and there is only so much efficacy to push from vaccines, they can’t deliver full immunity especially if they refuse to take them.

Also, the numbers from Western Australia generally were as bad as that and they had similar or slightly levels of vaccination.

COVID isn't going away because for three years almost every Western nation in the world has insisted it wasn't a problem that couldn't be solved in just three weeks and then, after that, if you just got your shots

the brain damage and cardiopulmonary aftereffects are just the mark of a successful approach

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I am still of the opinion that the CIA is so thoroughly rotted through that it can't actually take advantage of any dissent anymore unless they get lucky like they did with Ukraine, and most of that may have just been European governments putting pressure on things rather than the US. See: the repeated and extremely embarrassing failed coup attempts in Latin America over the past 5 years where the coups either failed spectacularly or blew themselves apart almost immediately

e: like remember when the CIA got all of their agents in China killed twice in ten years because they were having them go to cia.gov to submit info

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 08:36 on Dec 31, 2022

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Like, you don't loving know either then. You're in the exact same position as he is but arguing the other thing. That's just wild to me. You heard a few people say a few things in the videos you saw on the internet and that makes you so confident about what's going on in a country you're not in that has one and a half billion people, it's the same thing.

Even if you lived here it's not like you would really know about the whole country (we were locked down you can't travel to go see lol) so who can say how massive the protests really were.

I feel like they were probably overstated or misinterpreted to an extent by media outside China, but I can at least be pretty sure about what was going on where I live. I posted a short video on the forums of when it started for us, I don't think NED came to my community unless they're real competent and have been planning this for a long time, and like the grandpa upstairs and across the hall from me is all a fabricated identity. If not, he was genuinely pissed off. You could even hear people shouting from the other nearby communities as poo poo went down there. From my very much not NED funded friends the same stuff was going on in their communities.

Maybe Zhengzhou is a major outlier, who's to say, but not all unrest in China is completely fake just because and I don't know why you would automatically assume it is and be so confident about it cuz that seems dumb. After the lockdowns stretched on there were some important things that were becoming genuinely difficult to get, like medical supplies, where the systems in place to deal with that on paper weren't really working.

On top of the fire (which a ton of people were actually pissed about that's not even a surprise either, it was harder to find a person who wasn't pissed about that) So, people were upset. It's not that crazy.

Protests aren't completely uncommon in China and it's bullshit when people act like it's not but I have yet to see something else turn into scattered protests on this scale in the city before.

I bet those morons who fled "ccp lockdowns" by going through the roughest and most dangerous terrain in central America a week before everything was dropped sure feel stupid and not like they were on a b-reel reality TV show huh

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well, color revolution only works in western/Christian civilization countries. When you try to do it in a different civilization region, it doesn't really work but nobody told the Democrats.

I am sure the CIA knows about it, but they just want the funding.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

I am still of the opinion that the CIA is so thoroughly rotted through that it can't actually take advantage of any dissent anymore unless they get lucky like they did with Ukraine, and most of that may have just been European governments putting pressure on things rather than the US. See: the repeated and extremely embarrassing failed coup attempts in Latin America over the past 5 years where the coups either failed spectacularly or blew themselves apart almost immediately

e: like remember when the CIA got all of their agents in China killed twice in ten years because they were having them go to cia.gov to submit info
:hmmyes: yeah
another case could be the cia had anything at all to do with the turkey coup attempt they flubbed it real bad. I think they were involved in some way but didn’t really commit and were more like “lol let’s see what they’re going to do and give them a little support without getting too mixed up.” however I don’t actually know.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

Nobody knows China has divisions of government or anything other than a dictatorship by Xi

Every protest is against Xi, lack of protest means Xi’s suppression is working

this sounds less disingenuous than youre making it sound when you remember that this is basically how these people think protests work in the united states too

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Spergin Morlock posted:

disgorge? sounds bad

That's what is going to happen to China's dam.

HiroProtagonist posted:

the brain damage and cardiopulmonary aftereffects are just the mark of a successful approach

They are trying to create brave new world.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

genericnick posted:

Demanding China experts speak Chinese is ableist.

"but at what cost" is a native chinese phrase

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jeez where’d you get this one

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

jeez where’d you get this one

https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/xi-s-dream-of-world-order-ruined-by-covid-disaster-20221230-p5c9gf.html

many good quotes from this

China’s lurch from extreme zero-Covid to extreme herd immunity is a watershed moment in the global ideological struggle of our age, an unanswerable illustration of why autocratic regimes are less successful in the end than messy liberal democracies.

Leadership cults and totalitarian media control can at times enable breathtakingly destructive policies, and it is hard to think of a policy more unhinged than suddenly exposing a “naive” population with inadequate vaccination to mass infection in mid-winter, and just before the great internal migration of Chinese New Year.

good thing Liberal Democracies wouldn't do anything so monstrous

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/xi-s-dream-of-world-order-ruined-by-covid-disaster-20221230-p5c9gf.html

many good quotes from this

China’s lurch from extreme zero-Covid to extreme herd immunity is a watershed moment in the global ideological struggle of our age, an unanswerable illustration of why autocratic regimes are less successful in the end than messy liberal democracies.

Leadership cults and totalitarian media control can at times enable breathtakingly destructive policies, and it is hard to think of a policy more unhinged than suddenly exposing a “naive” population with inadequate vaccination to mass infection in mid-winter, and just before the great internal migration of Chinese New Year.

good thing Liberal Democracies wouldn't do anything so monstrous

Gahaha. Still remembering the two week period where the US CDC recommended actual decent masks before getting rid of them completely.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
western propaganda on china is completely psychotic, which i've succesfully used as an argument to convince people of my intellectual superiority

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
happy new year to president xi and every body in the asia / oceania thread 😎👍

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Back in China for the first time in nearly three years. It’s a weird feeling when all the controls, testing and quarantine stuff is technically in place but nobody gives a poo poo since they know it will all go away in a week or so. We had to spend one night in a hotel to confirm that we tested negative and then we were allowed to go wherever.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It is concluded that china is mysterious and impossible to understand. Furthermore how dare they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exmarx posted:

happy new year to president xi and every body in the asia / oceania thread 😎👍