Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

the yeti posted:

This might sound kinda whiny but I'm frustrated with my fishing game and trying to reason through what i can do to improve things. I've done alright this year as a newbie I guess, but I've spent a lot of time going to water that wasn't productive or wasn't fishable and I'm not sure how to tell if i'm trying to fish unproductive water or just need to get gud.

The biggest annoyances I've had:

Vegetation. I've done a handful of 1-2 hr trips and lots of short drives this year that ended up with me at a lake with 50 feet of lily pads or hydrilla all the way around the bank. I realize you /can/ fish that stuff say if you're a bass guy but goddamn if I know how just trying to float fish or throw a spinner or jig.

Getting to the fish from the bank.

Fishing pressure. Driving an hour or two away from the city is doable in the technical sense but it sucks to spend the time and gas to get to a hydrilla farm or watch guys on boats catch 'em 100 yards away all day.

Shoreline that is overcrowded with vegitation is a problem as old as time. There is no easy way to solve this problem outside of canoe, boat, or just going somewhere different. I personally won't fish that kind of stuff as I am going to lose more lures than I want to with no way to retrieve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

the yeti posted:

This might sound kinda whiny but I'm frustrated with my fishing game and trying to reason through what i can do to improve things. I've done alright this year as a newbie I guess, but I've spent a lot of time going to water that wasn't productive or wasn't fishable and I'm not sure how to tell if i'm trying to fish unproductive water or just need to get gud.

The biggest annoyances I've had:

Vegetation. I've done a handful of 1-2 hr trips and lots of short drives this year that ended up with me at a lake with 50 feet of lily pads or hydrilla all the way around the bank. I realize you /can/ fish that stuff say if you're a bass guy but goddamn if I know how just trying to float fish or throw a spinner or jig.

Getting to the fish from the bank.

Fishing pressure. Driving an hour or two away from the city is doable in the technical sense but it sucks to spend the time and gas to get to a hydrilla farm or watch guys on boats catch 'em 100 yards away all day.
Buy a boat:)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

wesleywillis posted:

Buy a boat:)

Never. Kayak maybe but only after I get my hunting stuff squared away.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Took my kayak out to a new reservoir today. Deep cold clear water and windy, which was causing me to make all kinds of awkward casts as the boat got spun around. One of those awkward casts snagged my favorite spinning rod out of the crate behind me and tossed it just out of reach in front of me. I got to spend the next 10 seconds or so watching it slowly sink as I tried to swat at it with the rod in my hand and decide how likely death -by-hypothermia would be if I dove in after it (likely!). Reason won out and I figure it sank in at least 20 feet of water. I tried tying on some sinkers and trebles to go after it but I lost them to snags pretty quickly and with the wind and the panic of the situation who knows if I was anywhere near it. I marked the spot on my phone, and I suppose I could come back with my sonar and a big rear end magnet but I'm not sure there's a point. It will cost a fair chunk of change to replace, plus there's a bit of sentimental attachment, but it's also a long drive and a long paddle just to get back to *about* where I dropped it. I'll probably just replace it and maybe invest in some rod floats and leashes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sounds like you got a winter of planning ahead of you.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I got leashes after dumping my kayak after getting sideways paddling through the surf out of La Jolla cove. Lost a real nice rod in the pre dawn surf!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

King of Bees posted:

I got leashes after dumping my kayak after getting sideways paddling through the surf out of La Jolla cove. Lost a real nice rod in the pre dawn surf!

This is the argument for handline fishing out of a kayak when I was in Belize. Nobody cares about a bottle of water, line, and some washers you use to fish with.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the yeti posted:

Never. Kayak maybe but only after I get my hunting stuff squared away.

Reconsider. My cousin left the navy and has had a ton of time to fish. He caught 0 redfish in 2 months. He just bought 16’ jon boat with an 2 stroke and decent trailer for 2 grand. Caught 4 redfish his first day. It paid for itself in smiles the first weekend.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 29, 2022

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bless my dad's heart, he's starting to research fishing stuff so we can fish together on family vacation---hoping to get a house on the NC coast on the intracoastal waterway with a dock so we'd theoretically be surf fishing and off the dock. No real target in mind but for the season we're likely to see whiting and bluefish in the surf and idk what in the ICW. I'd be satisfied catching whiting and blues and if an eating size sheepshead or drum shows up in the backwater then great.

All my gear is freshwater so I'm looking for suggestions -- we don't have a firm budget but I'd like to be able to get 2 rod/reel combos for surf and 2 for the backwater without spending more than 100 - 125 bucks per setup, or a little more if we could get away with using the same gear for surf and dock fishing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the yeti posted:

Bless my dad's heart, he's starting to research fishing stuff so we can fish together on family vacation---hoping to get a house on the NC coast on the intracoastal waterway with a dock so we'd theoretically be surf fishing and off the dock. No real target in mind but for the season we're likely to see whiting and bluefish in the surf and idk what in the ICW. I'd be satisfied catching whiting and blues and if an eating size sheepshead or drum shows up in the backwater then great.

All my gear is freshwater so I'm looking for suggestions -- we don't have a firm budget but I'd like to be able to get 2 rod/reel combos for surf and 2 for the backwater without spending more than 100 - 125 bucks per setup, or a little more if we could get away with using the same gear for surf and dock fishing.

I would just get a decent medium setup for both dock and surf, then get some jigs and paddle tails and you'll be set. Whiting love Pompano jigs (with a teaser) if you can find some, and if you can find Zman paddles tails in Slam Shady color that's the jam for just about anything that feeds on baitfish.

You can probably get a 4000 or 5000 Daiwa BG setup for each of you in your budget which is a very decent rod and reel, much better than getting four rods that are basically disposable

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I hear live fiddler crab on a jighead dropped around the dock pilings is the way to go for sheepshead and whatever else may be around

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kind of a funny fishing story....so my son and I started out at daybreak fishing the flats of Ft Desoto state park in our skiff. Had no luck initially, and weren't even seeing any fish until we decided to trek to the other side of the park and started seeing tons of redfish and snook around the mangroves, none of which were biting at all. Since there was a nice breeze I decided to just do some drifting across the big flat, and that's when we hit paydirt, pulling in some speckled trout and jacks, nothing huge mostly normal sized. We must have drifted the flat four or five times.

Around three or so after a long day of fishing we decided to head back in. We got to the boat ramp and my son noticed there were some huge snook hanging out under the dock, so we tied up the skiff and got the rods out. We each had a paddle tail on and the snook were going nuts trying to eat them, going so nuts that they were fighting each other for it and missing the drat lure all together. My son hooked up twice and broke off each time. My first hook up, he got under the dock and broke me off. I had one rod left with a leader and put a paddle tail on and tightened up the drag. I hooked up a snook immediately and pulled hard, not letting him get under the dock, then lead him over to the boat ramp and that worked. Biggest fish of a long day at the boat dock going home, literally the last cast :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 10, 2022

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would just get a decent medium setup for both dock and surf, then get some jigs and paddle tails and you'll be set. Whiting love Pompano jigs (with a teaser) if you can find some, and if you can find Zman paddles tails in Slam Shady color that's the jam for just about anything that feeds on baitfish.

You can probably get a 4000 or 5000 Daiwa BG setup for each of you in your budget which is a very decent rod and reel, much better than getting four rods that are basically disposable

Nice, yeah I'd definitely prefer to not buy disposable stuff. For tackle I'd been planning on high-low and carolina rigging stuff in the surf but if jigs or plastics will work that'll be good for when I inevitably get bored.

Hooplah posted:

I hear live fiddler crab on a jighead dropped around the dock pilings is the way to go for sheepshead and whatever else may be around

Eliasvfishing on youtube likes to do a fiddler, mud crab, or quartered blue crab on a jig and catches piles of sheepshead and black drum with it, so yeah that's on the docket to try.

Also hopefully it doesn't need saying that yes I will have a crab pot in the water if we have ICW access

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 11, 2022

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the yeti posted:

Nice, yeah I'd definitely prefer to not buy disposable stuff. For tackle I'd been planning on high-low and carolina rigging stuff in the surf but if jigs or plastics will work that'll be good for when I inevitably get bored.

Get a little bottle of Pro Cure Super Gel for the lures too, that stuff works like magic

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

the yeti posted:

Just go to the local independent bait and tackle shop. They’ll have gear at every price point. Surf poo poo gets beat up so cheap amid replaceable is the way to go.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the yeti posted:

Eliasvfishing on youtube likes to do a fiddler, mud crab, or quartered blue crab on a jig and catches piles of sheepshead and black drum with it, so yeah that's on the docket to try.

oh, good! was gonna recommend his channel if you hadn't heard of him, actually. he really seems to know what he's doing in the NC saltwater.

any chance you'd be able to rent a kayak or small dinghy? that'd really help if your dock isn't performing or the surf isn't cooperating

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hooplah posted:

oh, good! was gonna recommend his channel if you hadn't heard of him, actually. he really seems to know what he's doing in the NC saltwater.

any chance you'd be able to rent a kayak or small dinghy? that'd really help if your dock isn't performing or the surf isn't cooperating

Yeah he’s great and has lots of videos that apply to where I’ll be. I dunno about watercraft, there are probably kayak rentals someplace—it would be nice to be able to jig dock pilings for example

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

the yeti posted:

it would be nice to be able to jig dock pilings

Giggity.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

https://oodmag.com/possible-record-bass-caught-in-lake-erie/

A massive smallmouth bass caught in Lake Erie in Canadian waters near Pelee Island by an Ohio angler might be a new Ontario record.

Gregg Gallagher of Fremont netted the 10.15-pound, 23.75-inch bass using drop-shot and eight-pound test on Thursday, Nov. 3, according to staff with the Ontario Record Fish Registry, which is operated by the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH).
a large bass weighed on a tablePhoto: Ohio Department of Natural Resources

The species, length, and 19.275-inch girth were vetted by Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) biologists, who are holding the fish pending confirmation.

“This is certainly the largest smallmouth bass that I’ve ever seen,” ODNR Lake Erie Fisheries Program Administrator Travis J. Hartman stated.

If confirmed, the smallmouth would beat the current record of 9.84 pounds from Birchbark Lake, near Kinmount, northwest of Peterborough. It would also be the only certified 10-pound bass caught in any of the Great Lakes.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well folks, I’m here to spread Christmas cheer and encourage poor financial decisions.

Purefishing.com , coupon code STAPLES50, 50% off your entire order and free shipping.

They are fairly picked over by the time I found out, but still some great deals if you are a fan of Fenwick, Abu Garcia, Penn, Pfleuger, Ugly Stik, etc.

I’m a big fan of the Abu Garcia C4 reels, so I picked up one of those and a couple Revo Toro Beast reels, cause I need a few beefier baitcasters for throwing some bigger lures.

And I stocked up on braid, shouldn’t have to buy anymore of that for years! 330 yard spools for $15, yes please!

Happy hunting!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DoctaFun posted:

Happy hunting!
Well that's half off a new reel for me.

Thanks!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well that's half off a new reel for me.

Thanks!

Two thumbs up, what’d you get!?

Hopefully others can get in on it and make me feel better about myself.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am addicted to getting big discounts on Japanese tackle. JDM stuff is just so.... addicting. That little island makes good fishing stuff.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

I am addicted to getting big discounts on Japanese tackle. JDM stuff is just so.... addicting. That little island makes good fishing stuff.

If I found a 50% off discount on Daiwa products I’d have spend sooo much money, it’d be really bad for my kid’s college savings.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Well folks, I’m here to spread Christmas cheer and encourage poor financial decisions.

Purefishing.com , coupon code STAPLES50, 50% off your entire order and free shipping.

They are fairly picked over by the time I found out, but still some great deals if you are a fan of Fenwick, Abu Garcia, Penn, Pfleuger, Ugly Stik, etc.

I’m a big fan of the Abu Garcia C4 reels, so I picked up one of those and a couple Revo Toro Beast reels, cause I need a few beefier baitcasters for throwing some bigger lures.

And I stocked up on braid, shouldn’t have to buy anymore of that for years! 330 yard spools for $15, yes please!

Happy hunting!

Nice pickups! I've got a Revo Toro NaCl (with the power handle of course) that I use for light duty inshore that I absolutely love.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Dropping this here since I figure some people could use some $1 line:

BeAuMaN posted:

KastKing Kovert Fluorocarbon Line, 200 yds, $1 + Free shipping w/ coupon code CM1
https://kastking.com/products/kastking-line-fluorocarbon-kovert-200yds

Source: https://slickdeals.net/f/16316581-kastking-kovert-fluorocarbon-line-200yds-1-with-code-cm1-free-shipping

10lb line is already sold out afaik. Enter code at checkout, not at cart.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 17, 2022

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Well that's certainly hard to beat. Thanks!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

BeAuMaN posted:

hell yeah, grabbed some

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

BeAuMaN posted:

Heck yeah why not, got some 15.. only one left.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Too late, all sold out :( Nice find though!!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hey fishing thread, long time no see. I'll pop back into the discord when I'm not at work, but I have a few questions. I got back into fishing a while back, bought a fishing kayak and all that and did a decent amount of fishing. Then I moved to Colorado and somehow didn't do any fishing while there even though I wanted to learn how to fly fish.

I'm back in Missouri now and my girlfriend's oldest seems like he might be interested in doing some fishing. I'll be looking at picking up a second kayak if he's actually into it. Even if he's not it will pay off for me if I do any fishing and my girlfriend would probably enjoy just getting out and farting around on it every now and then. I currently have a Jackson Cuda 12 that's probably 8 years old? What's the hotness in pedal kayaks these days? I'm getting old and fishing while trying to paddle with wind was annoying so I feel like some sort of pedal drive would be the way to go and it looks like there are decent options that don't cost $4k+ like they did back when I bought the Cuda. Any brands to flat out avoid? I'd like to keep the price as low as possible but very much understand that you get what you pay for and can splurge a bit if needed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

fknlo posted:

Hey fishing thread, long time no see. I'll pop back into the discord when I'm not at work, but I have a few questions. I got back into fishing a while back, bought a fishing kayak and all that and did a decent amount of fishing. Then I moved to Colorado and somehow didn't do any fishing while there even though I wanted to learn how to fly fish.

I'm back in Missouri now and my girlfriend's oldest seems like he might be interested in doing some fishing. I'll be looking at picking up a second kayak if he's actually into it. Even if he's not it will pay off for me if I do any fishing and my girlfriend would probably enjoy just getting out and farting around on it every now and then. I currently have a Jackson Cuda 12 that's probably 8 years old? What's the hotness in pedal kayaks these days? I'm getting old and fishing while trying to paddle with wind was annoying so I feel like some sort of pedal drive would be the way to go and it looks like there are decent options that don't cost $4k+ like they did back when I bought the Cuda. Any brands to flat out avoid? I'd like to keep the price as low as possible but very much understand that you get what you pay for and can splurge a bit if needed.

I was intrigued by nucanoe until I took a test drive in one. The cable drive felt very strained and awkward. The quality of the canoe was great and very stable but I had to say no .

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

I was intrigued by nucanoe until I took a test drive in one. The cable drive felt very strained and awkward. The quality of the canoe was great and very stable but I had to say no .

I have a Nucanoe Frontier 12 which I really like - I can stand and paddle or cast conventional or fly rods on it without issue which is a feat. I use a paddle or electric trolling motor with it. I have thought about getting the pedal drive addition but I'm not exactly sure if it's what I want. In a perfect world I'd just get a Hobie but they are pricey. I came across these and am very intrigued. https://lightningkayaks.com/collections/kayaks/products/strike-hd-camo?variant=39853345439855

Not as wide (or presumably as stable) as the Nucanoe but half the price of a similar Hobie. I would like to explore some bigger water and while the trolling motor works fine it is battery dependent and I do a lot of cycling and think my legs could probably outlast my battery.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The old town sportsman has a spot lock trolling motor built in. Its the ultimate "i am getting old"
purchase. Issue on windy days or long trips are basically are over.

Otherwise, oldtown and hobie are all great kayaks for peddling.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Sickening posted:

Lots of cargo capacity for your wares to be peddled?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I think I'm mainly down to the Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL and the Hobie Outback. The price difference between the two isn't close but there are some Outbacks for sale semi-locally at what I'd get into the sportsman after tax and all that. The outback seems like a much nicer boat overall even though I think I'd rather have a prop drive over the mirage.

e: the amount of used kayaks that come with everything including a trailer is kind of insane.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 1, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

fknlo posted:

I think I'm mainly down to the Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL and the Hobie Outback. The price difference between the two isn't close but there are some Outbacks for sale semi-locally at what I'd get into the sportsman after tax and all that. The outback seems like a much nicer boat overall even though I think I'd rather have a prop drive over the mirage.

e: the amount of used kayaks that come with everything including a trailer is kind of insane.

I got a Wilderness Systems Tarpon X a few years ago from a Hobie dealer and I'm absolutely looking to upgrade to something a little bit more stable while standing with a paddle system in the future. Interested to see what you think when you get the kayak.

I usually fish with a spinning rod/Senkos for bass here in Florida, but I've gotten a hankering to try fly fishing recently - think it seems cool and fly tying is the kind of artistic hobby that's absolutely up my alley. Family also vacations in Western NC and I know they stock the trout streams in the area, so I'd like to try that also. Any suggestions on fly rod equipment/flies? Would probably be targeting bass/panfish in Florida 90% of the time and trout the rest.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Southern Cassowary posted:

I got a Wilderness Systems Tarpon X a few years ago from a Hobie dealer and I'm absolutely looking to upgrade to something a little bit more stable while standing with a paddle system in the future. Interested to see what you think when you get the kayak.

I usually fish with a spinning rod/Senkos for bass here in Florida, but I've gotten a hankering to try fly fishing recently - think it seems cool and fly tying is the kind of artistic hobby that's absolutely up my alley. Family also vacations in Western NC and I know they stock the trout streams in the area, so I'd like to try that also. Any suggestions on fly rod equipment/flies? Would probably be targeting bass/panfish in Florida 90% of the time and trout the rest.
For FL, I highly recommend poppin bugs with a bead head nymph dropper. If you’re casting from shore you might want a shorter rod to better control your back cast. If you routinely fish while wading or have wide open back casts, a 9’ 6-7 wt rod would be ideal. Poppin bugs are heavy flies and you really need at least a 6 wt to reliably cast all but the smallest bugs.

For western NC, you have two options. If you’re fishing for stockers, anything works. But, I love chasing the wild trout on the tiny streams up there. A 7’ 4-wt is ideal. You’ll be fishing plunge pools so you need to fish weighted nymphs under an indicator most of the time. Really tight casting. Full back casts are rare so you need to be able to roll cast with accuracy and make shaped back casts. Join the discord https://discord.gg/9sCfP9uR and @ me if you want some specific wild spots to check out. If you’re fishing for stockers, all the delayed harvest water is excellent. The put and take spots get fished out real quick though.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 3, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dik Hz posted:

For FL, I highly recommend poppin bugs with a bead head nymph dropper. If you’re casting from shore you might want a shorter rod to better control your back cast. If you routinely fish while wading or have wide open back casts, a 9’ 6-7 wt rod would be ideal. Poppin bugs are heavy flies and you really need at least a 6 wt to reliably cast all but the smallest bugs.

For western NC, you have two options. If you’re fishing for stockers, anything works. But, I love chasing the wild trout on the tiny streams up there. A 7’ 4-wt is ideal. You’ll be fishing plunge pools so you need to fish weighted nymphs under an indicator most of the time. Really tight casting. Full back casts are rare so you need to be able to roll cast with accuracy and make shaped back casts. Join the discord https://discord.gg/9sCfP9uR and @ me if you want some specific wild spots to check out. If you’re fishing for stockers, all the delayed harvest water is excellent. The put and take spots get fished out real quick though.

There's a delayed harvest spot about 10m from the family cabin so that's a good sign. I had read about the plunge pools so the equipment tips are useful - sounds like I'll be needing two (or more) rods, which I kind of expected (bigger flies for bass and backbone is probably necessary to pull things out of weeds in Florida lakes) even though I was hoping I could do double duty with a 5-6wt trout rod. Do you have any suggestions for good beginner setups in those weights? Is it better to piece something together than to get one of the combos from Orvis or Redington or whoever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Southern Cassowary posted:

There's a delayed harvest spot about 10m from the family cabin so that's a good sign. I had read about the plunge pools so the equipment tips are useful - sounds like I'll be needing two (or more) rods, which I kind of expected (bigger flies for bass and backbone is probably necessary to pull things out of weeds in Florida lakes) even though I was hoping I could do double duty with a 5-6wt trout rod. Do you have any suggestions for good beginner setups in those weights? Is it better to piece something together than to get one of the combos from Orvis or Redington or whoever?
Just get a cheap cabelas rod to start with. They’re perfectly fine. Fast action graphite is easiest for beginners. You’ll do a lot better with a low cost rod and a casting lesson than buying an Orvis combo straight out. If you’re going to spend money, a $110 scientific anglers floating line will be the best expense to quality of life ratio you can get, especially for beginners. Cheap line is a pain in the rear end. High quality line floats better, has less memory, and has a more durable coating. All of which make your drifts more natural and your casts land softer.

If you want to do double duty, get a 7’6” 5/6-wt and some 6-wt line. It’ll be a bit overkill for small stream trout but it’ll be fine for learning. Heavier line is easier to cast for beginners because beginners always cast too fast and too hard. In theory you can cast a longer rod farther, but in practice a shorter rod is easier to control and you’re almost always better off making a better approach and a shorter cast than trying to bomb in a monster cast. Even for bass.

Take a couple trips and learn how to cast before spending a ton of money. I like old slow short and heavy fiberglass rods. Lots of people don’t and instead prefer light fast action rods. Or whatever. Fly fishing gear is all about aesthetic and preference. Better gear doesn’t catch more fish.