Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

I only got up to Margit kicking my poo poo in and then wondering around a bit so I'm not much help

I beat that dude! So if you want help you have my sword or bow or axe or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

as recent posts show, much of the difficulty comes from the game refusing to explain itself directly: aforementioned impossible bosses, or how 100% block shields are distinguished from other lesser shields by an unlabelled number hidden in a bunch of other numbers in an item stats screen you wouldn't really have reason to check until late game. so easy mode for Dark Souls is more like extra tutorial hints or clearer UI design, maybe

as I said earlier I don't think it's as simple as "slap a difficulty slider on it". games are hard enough to balance with one difficulty. blanket health/damage modifiers feel bad and distort gameplay. for game like Dark Souls a game speed modifier would probably be more helpful, but how will that affect the animations (already kinda buggy)? that's assuming the developers fully understand the systems they have designed, which they often don't!

People treat the Souls games really weirdly because of their reputation. I've told this anecdote in other threads before: I know multiple people who started playing Dark Souls 1, finished the tutorial, then took the "obvious" pathway right into the regenerating skeletons; instead of thinking "ah, these things are too hard for me right now, so I'll find another route", they spent a while trying to hack through them, dying over and over again, because Dark Souls is Hard and this must be the intended experience, and then dropped the game.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

This is about the best response to that idea.
https://twitter.com/tragic_endings_/status/1608973650002333697

There has been a marked decrease in "all men are rapists"/"the penis is evil" type radfem behaviour in leftist spaces compared to 10 years ago, but it's not because anyone started listening to the serious and legitimate concerns of MRAs (lol), it's because all those people went off to be terfs.

And also because BLM and the increasing prominence of BAME voices pointed out that under white supremacy, "all men are dangerous" becomes Karenism and then Black men get murdered by police.

We don't need to break bread with incels, we need to keep moving away from biological determinism and move towards something genuinely liberatory and transgressive, and leave the chuds and terves to bicker over whether the magical powers of the testicle makes one an übermensch or an oppressor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We glossed over this but it's really not to your credit that you saw 'men' and read 'incels'. People don't generally join right wing movements because of some fundamental evil lurking deep down in their character, it's because they're hurting and the right indoctrinates them by offering easy answers. Rightly or wrongly, leftists often give men the impression that we want them to feel guilty for a thousand crimes that they didn't know they were committing and to abandon their masculinity and all that, and then when that idea bothers them they're told to gently caress off. If we were making more of an effort to help them feel welcome, they probably wouldn't become incels in the first place.

E: Guava sniped me with a much better post. He's probably more in tune with current events than I am, ignore all this.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Hungry posted:

People treat the Souls games really weirdly because of their reputation. I've told this anecdote in other threads before: I know multiple people who started playing Dark Souls 1, finished the tutorial, then took the "obvious" pathway right into the regenerating skeletons; instead of thinking "ah, these things are too hard for me right now, so I'll find another route", they spent a while trying to hack through them, dying over and over again, because Dark Souls is Hard and this must be the intended experience, and then dropped the game.

oh lol I literally did that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Solefald posted:

This is why marketers need to be strangled on their first day at work. 'Prepare to Die Edition', come the gently caress on.

E: Although for DS2 and only DS2, that is the attitude of the designers. The second cutscene of the game is three old ladies pointing and laughing at how poo poo you are and how much you're going to die, and then you walk into the Kingdom of Human Drop-Bears

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is there a good summary of labour action and ongoing strikes in the UK somewhere?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I only got up to Margit kicking my poo poo in and then wondering around a bit so I'm not much help

Wandering around a bit is the game-intended response to Margit wrecking your face, so congrats on taking the hint, and have fun with Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula (and Caelid, if you're feeling very brave).

Regarding multiplayer, they made matchmaking for co-op much easier in a semi-recent update, where you can choose to make your summon sign visible either 'near' or 'both near and far' when you activate your Golden Effigy (the item that signals you're up for helping people in co-op). If you pick the latter, you can get summoned by basically everyone at any Effigy of the Martyr (the little statues of the crucified woman that show up all over the place) in the entire game-world that you've activated by examining it. This means it's both easy to get summoned and to find people to summon at one of those effigies, because you'll have a large chunk of the entire playerbase queueing up to help you out.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

mila kunis posted:

Is there a good summary of labour action and ongoing strikes in the UK somewhere?

https://strikemap.org/ is probably the best.

Which is a shame because it's pretty bad at telling you when strikes are actually on.

Beyond that, look at the TUC and the individual union websites.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Solefald posted:

And it's not your fault! I think it's to do with how people talk about the games. (And the marketing, as Dabir mentioned below you.)

This is why the Soulsborne games are such a confusing example to use when talking about accessibility for disabled people playing video games. When the original Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls) came out, most big games were going hard on player hand-holding, button prompts for every action, linear guidance, objective markers, etc. Dark Souls felt revolutionary at the time because the game asks the player to just observe the world, explore, figure things out from the environment. If the player doesn't stop and think, they'll probably blunder into danger.

There's two kinds of difficulty going on in the games: the 'explore on your own and figure things out' difficulty, where you might be punished for going the wrong way by infinite skeleton lads breaking your legs; and the mechanical difficulty of reaction times and button presses, etc. I think a lot of people get bent out of shape over suggestions of an easy mode in Dark Souls because they assume the former is being critiqued for not being like other big games which tell you where to go. But the latter is entirely possible to adjust without changing the former.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Useful contribution to the chat about lefties and incels:

https://twitter.com/goingmedieval/status/1609234823671054336?s=46&t=CWk3dYZdW8pvQN2gSEDOMA

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

learning to post owns and in turn get owned by other posts is an important formative experience

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea that the left gives "brain dead advice" to men looking to understand how to interact with women is something i see repeated a lot and I don't think it's correct?

I get that some people don't like the advice but unfortunately for them there is no way to make obligatory traditional gender roles work in society. Sorry. It makes as much sense as going to the left to figure out how to make capitalism work. It just doesn't. It is inherently contradictory and will keep throwing gears if you try to make it run.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I am still stuck outside Malenia having completed 90 percent of the game up to the final boss fight after completely reworking my build into something I hate so I could do serious attempts at her because I want that goddamn needle due to loving up and blundering into the mad god path and making everyone I liked hate me.

I'd never played a dark souls game past the first 30 min before even though i own all of them. So after I gave up on the 100th or so attempt of being instagibbed in phase 2 due to some red mist undodgeable assholes I decided to summon help.

Not knowing what I was doing I accidentally offered myself as a helper and got summoned. At which point I died like a moron instantly due to panic, logged out in shame and haven't played since.

Now I really want to go play some more thanks to this thread but first I've got to go farm for a perfectly statted metal king slime in Dragon Quest Treasures.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yes, yes I do. Women standing up for themselves is to be encouraged.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mebh posted:

Not knowing what I was doing I accidentally offered myself as a helper and got summoned. At which point I died like a moron instantly due to panic, logged out in shame and haven't played since.

All this means is that your Fashion Souls drip was good enough to get you selected. Immediately dying to Malenia is also never unexpected, she's that kind of boss.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The idea that the left gives "brain dead advice" to men looking to understand how to interact with women is something i see repeated a lot and I don't think it's correct?

I get that some people don't like the advice but unfortunately for them there is no way to make obligatory traditional gender roles work in society. Sorry. It makes as much sense as going to the left to figure out how to make capitalism work. It just doesn't. It is inherently contradictory and will keep throwing gears if you try to make it run.

It's less that the "left gives bad advice" and moreso that there is no cultural model in mass media of what being a "respectful but also horny" man looks like, so boys and men trying to work out how to date women feel like they don't understand what they are meant to do, especially when staring into the hellpit of app-based dating. This ties into the growing alienation from society many of them experience as more and more social activity is online, so you don't have any in-person hobbies or spaces which aren't 99% male. You don't have any good photos or look attractive, because you've not done many social events in person or been told how to groom yourself, so you don't get any matches. You don't even know how to conduct yourself on online dating successfully, because you've never done so in person and you've never see any media which features it to copy from.

So you ask "how do I get gf" and the answers we have are complex, multifactored, and don't have any easy solutions. Meanwhile, PUA's and online mysogonists tell you it's not you that's the problem, it's the evil feminists, and women are all terrible and you need to be as terrible to get their attention. They are trying to put you down, and that if you listen to them and do X Y and Z you'll find success. They are wrong, but they provide the easy answers you want to hear, so you listen to them. And because some of the core of this advice is useful ("Go to the Gym and get fit" is often step 1, and isn't bad advice on it's own), you might start to feel successful and buy into the rest of the rhetoric.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 31, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Ever more young men are being alienated, any given spaces turn into a toxic cesspool as soon as this is mentioned, and those young men are perfect fuel for our problems.

The left being unable to offer the alienated young men a workable path does result in things getting worse for everyone.

And given my own experiences with TERFs, there's a lot of people who call themselves feminists who are just fundamentally bad people, and on the internet it's a crapshoot which kind you encounter.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kind of like how when you see someone say "I believe the rights of women should be protected" you kind of want to ask "Ok, which women exactly? Are we excluding any? Which ones?"

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm gonna be that guy and say Dark Souls Is Not Hard, Actually.
If I could have one christmas wish it would be that people who are good at videos game could just admit they're good, instead of pretending that clearing the highest difficulty boss with nothing but a loincloth and a pencil is "easy actually, what's wrong with you that you can't pull off this combo that's physically impossible for a human hand."

Just take the W, admit you're good and stop loving up the balance for everyone else now devs have decided monobalance is the future.

At the core of the problem is this misconception that everyone has the same ability level, they just need to practice. Alternatively, that some people don't, and that they therefore don't 'deserve' to finish the game? Either way that sucks, and the more I think about it, at that point I really don't care about the artist's intent.

Miftan posted:

The question is 'is difficulty an accessability setting?' I think it is, for various reasons people have mentioned. I don't understand how 'this is the original difficulty, but if it's impossible for you here are lower difficulties' takes anything away from the game and obviously gets more people to engage with it.
It kind of is, and it kind of isn't. Lack of an easy mode definitely causes accessibility problems, but the presence of an easy mode does not automatically solve every issue of access.

Again, difficulty and accessibility are two different things - a climbing wall is fun! A climbing wall can be fun for people with disabilities, you just need extra accommodations.

But if those accommodations aren't there, you can pop the disabled person in front of the easy wall all you like, they're not going to be able to access the challenge at all. And you have to admit, it's pretty lovely to run a climbing centre knowing those things exist and just not providing them.

Some examples of things that are primarily an accessibility issue but also affect difficulty:

Timers! There are a wide variety of physical and neurological conditions which mean players are going to have to approach things at a slower pace. You can't do that if a dickhead dev has decided you only have 15 minutes to do the mission, or 3 minutes to clear the room.

Quicktime events! We've been over this, but it doesn't just affect people with cognitive processing delay or dexterity / motor control issues. It affects people playing on a cheap TV with high latency. It affects people using cheap wireless controllers.

No respawns! This is probably going to be a controversial one, but is core to understanding the difference between a game that is difficult and inaccessible:

A difficult encounter in destiny locks you in a room with 20 enemies, 3 elites and a boss. You clear the adds, kill the elites, and the boss' health drops. More adds spawn as its health bar lowers. If you die, you respawn at the start of the room, but the adds you killed are gone - eventually through attrition, you will eventually get through it.

An inaccessible version of that encounter would be one where when you die, the encounter resets - in D2 these are called darkness zones. You go back to the start, the boss' health returns and the adds and elites are back. If you cannot complete the encounter, you do not progress.

Now this is where the giant pissbaby side of hardcore gamers tends to come out and they complain that it's not fair, less skilled gamers will make it through by attrition and blah blah blah, I really don't care any more.

This is why you have seperate difficulties. Hard mode players can play through the bosses with darkness zones on and walk around with a flag over their head saying 'here comes a special boy' to brag they did it the hard way. Nobody wants to stop them from doing that.

Everyone else just wants to finish the loving game. And that's why difficulty sort of is and isn't an accessibility issue. Easy should mean more accessible encounters and guaranteed (but slower if you're bad) progress. It's not just a case of giving the enemies more health or more damage or greater numbers. It's about making sure there are no moments where the game says "If you cannot do this, you cannot progress."

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 31, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Yes, yes I do. Women standing up for themselves is to be encouraged.

Professor AR Timming worried about normalising teenage girls owning men twice their age and then said men getting raided by the feds

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Wow, what a year, eh?

England won a major international football tournament, in which Germany, just like in the war, came second. The Republican dogs finally caught the car and got their perjured political operatives on the already-illegitimate Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade, finally. Reward: not much, electorally. Ukraine won Eurovision 2022. Other stuff also happened in Ukraine. After Boris Johnson died of embarrassment over parties or something, Elizabeth II welcomed her new prime minister Liz #3 and promptly died of second-hand embarrassment. After causing your pension fund to die of embarrassment, Princess Buttstuff also quickly died of embarrassment, replaced by a lettuce and then the guy who had previously lost to her in the leadership contest. Just the best people, seriously. Brazil went left. Harry Kane forgot you have to hit it under the bar. Greta Thunberg chaos-dunked Andrew Tate right into prison using Elon Musk's Twitter 2.0 (Hardcore Version). The Nazi Pope died. I've probably missed a few things.

Pop culture! Worst movie (that I saw): Florence Got Fingered Don't Worry Darling. Didn't stick to its own premise, Harry The Hair wrecked every scene and the publicity clownshow was cringe after cringe. No wonder Flo-Pu was fuming love her, hope she's actually nice. And where's the loving comma?

So, what are you blokes thoughts on 2022? Remember, wry, sideways looks at the year are the best, one or the other doesn't cut it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Wow, what a year, eh?

England won a major international football tournament, in which Germany, just like in the war, came second. The Republican dogs finally caught the car and got their perjured political operatives on the already-illegitimate Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade, finally. Reward: not much, electorally. Ukraine won Eurovision 2022. Other stuff also happened in Ukraine. After Boris Johnson died of embarrassment over parties or something, Elizabeth II welcomed her new prime minister Liz #3 and promptly died of second-hand embarrassment. After causing your pension fund to die of embarrassment, Princess Buttstuff also quickly died of embarrassment, replaced by a lettuce and then the guy who had previously lost to her in the leadership contest. Just the best people, seriously. Brazil went left. Harry Kane forgot you have to hit it under the bar. Greta Thunberg chaos-dunked Andrew Tate right into prison using Elon Musk's Twitter 2.0 (Hardcore Version). The Nazi Pope died. I've probably missed a few things.

Pop culture! Worst movie (that I saw): Florence Got Fingered Don't Worry Darling. Didn't stick to its own premise, Harry The Hair wrecked every scene and the publicity clownshow was cringe after cringe. No wonder Flo-Pu was fuming love her, hope she's actually nice. And where's the loving comma?

So, what are you blokes thoughts on 2022? Remember, wry, sideways looks at the year are the best, one or the other doesn't cut it.

Turkish antifa managed to round out one assassination for the end of the year too

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
That sounds pretty wry and sideways, yes. One-up for the supersoldier agents of A.N.T.I.F.A.?

But what videogame is it like?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's less that the "left gives bad advice" and moreso that there is no cultural model in mass media of what being a "respectful but also horny" man looks like, so boys and men trying to work out how to date women feel like they don't understand what they are meant to do, especially when staring into the hellpit of app-based dating. This ties into the growing alienation from society many of them experience as more and more social activity is online, so you don't have any in-person hobbies or spaces which aren't 99% male. You don't have any good photos or look attractive, because you've not done many social events in person or been told how to groom yourself, so you don't get any matches. You don't even know how to conduct yourself on online dating successfully, because you've never done so in person and you've never see any media which features it to copy from.

So you ask "how do I get gf" and the answers we have are complex, multifactored, and don't have any easy solutions. Meanwhile, PUA's and online mysogonists tell you it's not you that's the problem, it's the evil feminists, and women are all terrible and you need to be as terrible to get their attention. They are trying to put you down, and that if you listen to them and do X Y and Z you'll find success. They are wrong, but they provide the easy answers you want to hear, so you listen to them. And because some of the core of this advice is useful ("Go to the Gym and get fit" is often step 1, and isn't bad advice on it's own), you might start to feel successful and buy into the rest of the rhetoric.

But, like, if all you want is a girl shaped object to put your penis in then you just can't have that. I think if people are starting from the assumption that the only interaction they can or should have with women is sexual or romantic then that's already not gonna work. You can be friends with women, you can socialise with them without a sex or romance component.

If people want to find a romantic partner I think they probably need to learn to treat the people they want to parner with as people. But if you tell a lot of them this they just whinge and start coming out with the incel poo poo.

You can't talk people into things they fundamentally do not want. And nor can you make systems that fundamentally don't work, viable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

But, like, if all you want is a girl shaped object to put your penis in then you just can't have that. I think if people are starting from the assumption that the only interaction they can or should have with women is sexual or romantic then that's already not gonna work. You can be friends with women, you can socialise with them without a sex or romance component.

If people want to find a romantic partner I think they probably need to learn to treat the people they want to parner with as people. But if you tell a lot of them this they just whinge and start coming out with the incel poo poo.

You can't talk people into things they fundamentally do not want. And nor can you make systems that fundamentally don't work, viable.

This is you constructing a strawman.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Kind of like how when you see someone say "I believe the rights of women should be protected" you kind of want to ask "Ok, which women exactly? Are we excluding any? Which ones?"

If I could have one christmas wish it would be that people who are good at videos game could just admit they're good, instead of pretending that clearing the highest difficulty boss with nothing but a loincloth and a pencil is "easy actually, what's wrong with you that you can't pull off this combo that's physically impossible for a human hand."

Just take the W, admit you're good and stop loving up the balance for everyone else now devs have decided monobalance is the future.

At the core of the problem is this misconception that everyone has the same ability level, they just need to practice. Alternatively, that some people don't, and that they therefore don't 'deserve' to finish the game? Either way that sucks, and the more I think about it, at that point I really don't care about the artist's intent.

It kind of is, and it kind of isn't. Lack of an easy mode definitely causes accessibility problems, but the presence of an easy mode does not automatically solve every issue of access.

Again, difficulty and accessibility are two different things - a climbing wall is fun! A climbing wall can be fun for people with disabilities, you just need extra accommodations.

But if those accommodations aren't there, you can pop the disabled person in front of the easy wall all you like, they're not going to be able to access the challenge at all. And you have to admit, it's pretty lovely to run a climbing centre knowing those things exist and just not providing them.

Some examples of things that are primarily an accessibility issue but also affect difficulty:

Timers! There are a wide variety of physical and neurological conditions which mean players are going to have to approach things at a slower pace. You can't do that if a dickhead dev has decided you only have 15 minutes to do the mission, or 3 minutes to clear the room.

Quicktime events! We've been over this, but it doesn't just affect people with cognitive processing delay or dexterity / motor control issues. It affects people playing on a cheap TV with high latency. It affects people using cheap wireless controllers.

No respawns! This is probably going to be a controversial one, but is core to understanding the difference between a game that is difficult and inaccessible:

A difficult encounter in destiny locks you in a room with 20 enemies, 3 elites and a boss. You clear the adds, kill the elites, and the boss' health drops. More adds spawn as its health bar lowers. If you die, you respawn at the start of the room, but the adds you killed are gone - eventually through attrition, you will eventually get through it.

An inaccessible version of that encounter would be one where when you die, the encounter resets - in D2 these are called darkness zones. You go back to the start, the boss' health returns and the adds and elites are back. If you cannot complete the encounter, you do not progress.

Now this is where the giant pissbaby side of hardcore gamers tends to come out and they complain that it's not fair, less skilled gamers will make it through by attrition and blah blah blah, I really don't care any more.

This is why you have seperate difficulties. Hard mode players can play through the bosses with darkness zones on and walk around with a flag over their head saying 'here comes a special boy' to brag they did it the hard way. Nobody wants to stop them from doing that.

Everyone else just wants to finish the loving game. And that's why difficulty sort of is and isn't an accessibility issue. Easy should mean more accessible encounters and guaranteed (but slower if you're bad) progress. It's not just a case of giving the enemies more health or more damage or greater numbers. It's about making sure there are no moments where the game says "If you cannot do this, you cannot progress."

Sir, this is a new year's eve party.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You're already calling all sexually frustrated young men incels, when being horny is a natural human emotion - and one that women are encouraged to explore. Why aren't men allowed to be horny, to want sexual activity? But they don't just want sexual contact - they want any contact at all. They can't even meet women to socialize with, to discover if they have that romanic or sexual connection - because they don't interact with any in their lives due to increasing alienation from society, and the one avenue they are told to use - online dating - is one they get no reactions, no response, no discussion on. And the only people telling them they can teach the skills to be attractive to women are PUA's and msygonists, and if their lessons don't work, well it's because all women hate men and hate you and you should hate them too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dark Souls 1, specifically, is about as much of a knowledge game as it is about reflex skill. Beating regular grunts is easy, almost rhythmic - block their attack, hit them while they're flailing around from bouncing off, block, stab, block, stab. If they have a big shield, they're trying to do that to you, so you kick the shield out of the way and stab them instead. The input to do a kick is physically tricky for just about everyone, but there are other options, like two-handing your weapon so you don't bounce off and can wear them down. I'm sure there are disabilities serious enough that you can't handle the really, really loose and generous timings involved, like we're talking multiple seconds to hit back after you block them, but they'd have to be pretty bad. As for bosses, there are some optional fights, mostly in the DLC, where your only real option is to knuckle down and fight a thing good, but for the critical path, it's mostly about knowing, learning or figuring out one extra thing. This one is really vulnerable to dropping on its head, that one is trivial if you stay behind it, etc. Even the notorious nightmares like Capra Demon have a trick that once you know it, the fight gets a lot easier. I've said enough about DS2 (it is a bad game), DS3 and Bloodborne are much more along the lines of action-heavy skill games with a ton of fights that are all about dodging good and swinging good.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 31, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You're already calling all sexually frustrated young men incels, when being horny is a natural human emotion - and one that women are encouraged to explore. Why aren't men allowed to be horny, to want sexual activity? But they don't just want sexual contact - they want any contact at all. They can't even meet women to socialize with, to discover if they have that romanic or sexual connection - because they don't interact with any in their lives due to increasing alienation from society, and the one avenue they are told to use - online dating - is one they get no reactions, no response, no discussion on. And the only people telling them they can teach the skills to be attractive to women are PUA's and msygonists, and if their lessons don't work, well it's because all women hate men and hate you and you should hate them too.

Women exist outside in reality, you can just make friends with them the same way you do anybody else...

If you do it with the sole intent of creeping on them then yeah, they're not going to appreciate it, but literally 100% of my IRL social circle is and has always been women, they're not fundamentally different from men.

Again, the error is in only being interested in interacting with women on the pretext of forming romantic relationships with them. PUAs and MRA weirdos do not in any way tell you how to "meet women" they teach you how to be a dickhead to them and coerce them into sex. If people find that appealing then they are already more hosed up than I know how to fix.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh ok well if you're not having any trouble and can recognise when someone you trust is telling a bad way to do something you have no experience in, I guess there's no issue.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Women exist outside in reality, you can just make friends with them the same way you do anybody else...

If you do it with the sole intent of creeping on them then yeah, they're not going to appreciate it, but literally 100% of my IRL social circle is and has always been women, they're not fundamentally different from men.

Alienated young men don’t tend to have healthy relationships with other men either.

You seem to have a very distorted view of the social relationships between men, possibly due to a lack of experience. Honestly you’re perfectly demonstrating why this is such a huge problem for the left. You’re extending no sympathy to these men and blaming them for not doing something they don’t know how to do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah but he also doesn't believe in travel because he learnt everything he needs to know within 30 miles of where he was born from his harem so why would anyone else ever be any different? Because, I would suggest, they are weirdos and we should do without them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some people are lucky enough to be born into a situation where they're raised well and taught the right ways to behave. Many, I would guess many more, are not. Condemning those people because they didn't have guidance, or had wrong guidance, and didn't think to reject everything their entire history of socialisation told them and reinvent leftism from first principles, is... I don't think I can pick the appropriate word. Silly, for a start. Heartless. Strategically unwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I object specifically to the idea that the reason they do not improve is because leftists simply aren't nice enough to them. I don't think most of them want to improve and if faced with a choice between acknowledging that their starting point is simply not workable and what they desire is not attainable, and a comforting lie that it's actually the natural state of the world and it is the left who are conspiring to take it from them, they will choose the former most of the time.

There is no half way point, you can't start out telling them that they totally can have the kind of relationships they want but they just have to be nicer to their prospective partners and then spring on them that actually most people don't and will never want to be that kind of partner to them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well fascists are being very nice to them, seems to work for them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The solution to the incel problem was discovered years ago, it's called imported sex-arses.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dabir posted:

Some people are lucky enough to be born into a situation where they're raised well and taught the right ways to behave. Many, I would guess many more, are not. Condemning those people because they didn't have guidance, or had wrong guidance, and didn't think to reject everything their entire history of socialisation told them and reinvent leftism from first principles, is... I don't think I can pick the appropriate word. Silly, for a start. Heartless. Strategically unwise.

Tory.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN

THERE ARE NO WHITE PEOPLE ON BBC1 NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's just pure "I got lucky, so the people who didn't are moral failures".

And with this poo poo being in every left space, is it any wonder these people end up resenting leftists?

Leftists, scoring own goals through infighting and demands of moral purity. O tempora, o mores.