Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One of those hoarder shows that they manage to get the door open and it is just stacks of EV chargers with a trapped Three Olives underneath a pile of them yelling for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Three Olives posted:

I guess this goes here, I have now had several Amazon Rivian van spottings in Dallas, clearly being used for actual deliveries and not just press so it looks like this is a thing that is actually happening.

Oh, cool. I haven't spotted one yet (DFW Mid-cities.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

knox_harrington posted:

Alternatively, and I know this sounds crazy, we could power buses directly from the existing electrical grid? Maybe using wires suspended over the streets, I dunno I'm just the ideas guy

Pourquoi pas les deux?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
What’s the 0-60 on that baby?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's Switzerland so it's 0-100.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nitrox posted:

Is there a way to flag those non working chargers on Waze or Google maps? For those who didn't know, Google navigation lets you pick an electric car as your primary vehicle, and will try to adapt.

I use plugshare to check the status of chargers, and I flagged the inop chargers as appropriate.

The EA station had a 10 on Plugshare, but if I had dug in the comments I would have found the actual condition before arriving.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Darchangel posted:

Oh, cool. I haven't spotted one yet (DFW Mid-cities.)

I've only seen them in Uptown, I know there is an Amazon Warehouse near Love Field so I suspect they have some based there for Uptown. I haven't spotted any in Oak Cliff, but I suspect they will pop-up in North Oak Cliff soon given the close proximity to a couple of Amazon warehouses, population density and income. Also Uptown/Oak Cliff will be really receptive to Amazon EVs marketing wise.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
The IRS has published some info on the coming tax credit. https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/manufacturers-and-models-for-new-qualified-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after

There should be a big :siren: on the note that "Vehicle make/models that appear in the list below do not automatically qualify."

Also the Model Y only qualifies for the 80k MSRP cap if it's the 7 seater, so expect either a price adjustment (base model starts above the 55k non-suv limit) or a bunch of angry tweets I guess.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
As the owner of a 2021 Model Y LR with the extra row, the real utility of it is extremely limited. If someone's in the third row, that means shifting up the middle row to minimum legroom. If I were ordering it again, I would skip the third row.

I still love the car, despite the controversial parentage. I've done ~6k miles of road-tripping up and down the east coast with it, and never had an issue with any of the superchargers. It's super-comfortable, and I don't have any mechanical issues or noticeable panel gaps.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mrs big dick was not happy with this leg of our road trip

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Did you make it to a charger?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah that was at the charger she just didn't like how close it was.

The first part of the leg was along the Oregon coast and up and down hills and lots of rain and HVAC use but the last part was like 50 miles on I-5 and I knew if it was really dire I could just do 5 or 10 under the speed limit and would be guaranteed to make it but she hasn't been on as many EV roadtrips as I have so she doesn't really trust how it works as much as I do.

Really it was perfect.

3 charges to go from Reno to Lincoln City, 41 minutes of charging. My Mach could also make it in 3 charges but took a whopping 112 minutes of charging, and you also have to take a less optimal route which results in a total difference of 2 hours and 3 minutes. Really makes a difference.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So, the IRS has classified the Mach-E as a car instead of an SUV so limited it to $55k MSRP for the tax credit, same with the Model Y, unless the Model Y has the absolutely useless third row seats, then it becomes an SUV? But the ID.4 is a car, unless it is AWD, and then it becomes an SUV? WTF?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh boy can’t wait for a dealership to explain this to a customer.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I will simply: buy a chevvy

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I saw one of the Amazon Rivian vans in the neighborhood, that was tight. I live pretty near one a mega-distributor point, though, so it's possible they're spreading them out (or likely prioritizing places where they get some kind of incentive to do it on a state-wide basis).

knox_harrington posted:

Alternatively, and I know this sounds crazy, we could power buses directly from the existing electrical grid? Maybe using wires suspended over the streets, I dunno I'm just the ideas guy
I think part of the issue here is that this requires infrastructure spending and construction which people hate, while using EV buses requires nothing new other than chargers at the bus depot, which the city council doesn't care about, and which Joe Biden may pay for.

It would be good to do this but you play the ball where it lies.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Three Olives posted:

So, the IRS has classified the Mach-E as a car instead of an SUV so limited it to $55k MSRP for the tax credit, same with the Model Y, unless the Model Y has the absolutely useless third row seats, then it becomes an SUV? But the ID.4 is a car, unless it is AWD, and then it becomes an SUV? WTF?

A PT cruiser is legally a light truck.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m pretty sure my Bolt was technically a wagon on the title?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nessus posted:

I think part of the issue here is that this requires infrastructure spending and construction which people hate, while using EV buses requires nothing new other than chargers at the bus depot, which the city council doesn't care about, and which Joe Biden may pay for.

It would be good to do this but you play the ball where it lies.

Also the mesh of wires over the street required to support overhead line powered electric buses are ugly, expensive, noisy, require costly maintenance, pose additional safety/reliability risks around other traffic (greater potential for something to strike the lines such as oversized loads or some accident with a backhoe, etc), and obviously limit the bus to areas/directions covered by the grid. Battery electric buses are just way more flexible.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

Also the mesh of wires over the street required to support overhead line powered electric buses are ugly, expensive, noisy, require costly maintenance, pose additional safety/reliability risks around other traffic (greater potential for something to strike the lines such as oversized loads or some accident with a backhoe, etc), and obviously limit the bus to areas/directions covered by the grid. Battery electric buses are just way more flexible.

I live in SF and none of these are any real problems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I live in SF and none of these are any real problems.

In Boston (well, Cambridge) legacy trolley bus infrastructure made it somewhat difficult to put in new bike lanes.

Battery operated busses are a much better solution than trolleybusses, which combine all the disadvantages of both busses and teams.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of rails, has anyone tried an EV bus... but on rails yet? Seems like that might work pretty well and be mostly self-driving.

Your basically describing this, but with the added hassles of actual rails.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/interesting-china-has-self-driving-train-that-doesnt-use-tracks-20210519

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In Boston (well, Cambridge) legacy trolley bus infrastructure made it somewhat difficult to put in new bike lanes.

Battery operated busses are a much better solution than trolleybusses, which combine all the disadvantages of both busses and teams.

Counterpoint: trolley busses don't use massive lithium-ion batteries. The ones here have backup ICE that are used in case the lines are hosed or the route has to be temporary changed.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Don’t worry EV buses will fall victim to the same bullshit as ICE buses now:

1. Underfund public transport so there is like 1 bus every hour and you can’t rely on it being on time
2. People don’t use them because of 1
3. Politicians say “see no one likes public transport”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

I lived in Geneva 20 years ago and their electric busses could detach from the grid and reattach later, mid-driving, to serve streets that didn't have overhead wires. This seems like it'd be way more flexible than having to charge at a depot

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

QuarkJets posted:

I lived in Geneva 20 years ago and their electric busses could detach from the grid and reattach later, mid-driving, to serve streets that didn't have overhead wires. This seems like it'd be way more flexible than having to charge at a depot

It is, those complaints are nonsense.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Don’t worry EV buses will fall victim to the same bullshit as ICE buses now:

1. Underfund public transport so there is like 1 bus every hour and you can’t rely on it being on time
2. People don’t use them because of 1
3. Politicians say “see no one likes public transport”

That’s what happened to the new light rail line in Denver/Aurora lol. Just nonstop “nobody’s using it so we’re cutting the stops and making it more inconvenient.”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Counterpoint: trolley busses don't use massive lithium-ion batteries. The ones here have backup ICE that are used in case the lines are hosed or the route has to be temporary changed.
I think some of the idea is to get rid of the backup ICE :v: However you could well have smaller battery/supercapacitors/whatever in these situations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

correct, they can use other energy storage mediums like a giant flywheel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Gyrobus sounds like a steampunk version of public transportation

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I want a Genesis GV60 so I can ponder my orb crystal sphere:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Failson posted:

I unironically love this weird little orb.

It would be motivation to keep the center console clean too so it wouldn’t get jammed on a stack of napkins spilling out of the cupholder.

Also lol thread title

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Failson posted:

If your car doesnt come with an Orb of Power then its a lame car imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kinda silly to have an orb and then a knob above it. Just imagine the potential of a dual orb system.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Vegetable posted:

Kinda silly to have an orb and then a knob above it. Just imagine the potential of a dual orb system.

Glad to see we're finally moving on from phallic design!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vegetable posted:

one knob, with two orbs below it

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

correct, they can use other energy storage mediums like a giant flywheel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

Failson posted:

Why isn’t the orb a flywheel? This seems like an obvious improvement.

Patent pending!

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Went to a chevy dealer this morning to buy a Bolt EUV now they the full tax credit is applicable. I arrived before the dealer opened and was the 5th person in line. The guy who got there first had been waiting for 2 hours.

I ended up putting money down on one that's en route to the dealer and should have it by the end of the week. Still a wild car buying experience.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

OctaMurk posted:

If your car doesnt come with an Orb of Power then its a lame car imo

Are there any particular thread recommendations for after-market orbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Has there been any further info on the Ioniq 6 availability timeline? I was pretty close to a Model 3 or used Model S but given recent events am thinking of backing off.