Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

It showed the "jack in" light effect when Grace died and went to Eywa. If you're talking about Jake waking up at the end of the first film, they don't show it; it just goes from Neytiri removing human Jake's mask and kissing his eyes, to her then going over to Jake's avatar body and him waking up.

Ah yeah, I remember now. Thabns for the clear up, I remembered the same visuals being shown, but assumed it was Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
My boy Payakan Chose Violence and I'm all here for it.

They keep beating us over the head about how smart they are, and the only reason they weren't surgically dismantling entire ekranoplans with carefully aimed fin strikes was because they were fanatical pacifists. But one of them gets the bright idea to use a loving steel wire harpoon to rip apart a boat and dismember its inhabitants. Payakan knew what he was doing.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Our boy the sad murder whale was the only good part about this movie. I'd watch Payakan destroy whalers for 3 hours.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Looking forward to the ragtag group of ex composers and poets equipped in Dino Riders-style weapon harnesses in Avatar 3.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Wait do people hate Spider? Because he's actually interesting because as annoying as he can be as a tiny white boy with dreads, he has a strong moral core and a very rugged cunning. The moment I saw the camera pan down to see the pilot activate the controls on the ekranoplan, and Spider's eyes follow it, I knew that he was gonna do something dramatic. And he did not disappoint, deftly applying a fire extinguisher to the pilot's skull, ramming the ship onto a reef, and then smashes the controls with the cannister, still with bits of human blood and teeth attached.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Wait do people hate Spider? Because he's actually interesting because as annoying as he can be as a tiny white boy with dreads, he has a strong moral core and a very rugged cunning. The moment I saw the camera pan down to see the pilot activate the controls on the ekranoplan, and Spider's eyes follow it, I knew that he was gonna do something dramatic. And he did not disappoint, deftly applying a fire extinguisher to the pilot's skull, ramming the ship onto a reef, and then smashes the controls with the cannister, still with bits of human blood and teeth attached.

Yeah Spider, Quaritch and Payakan were the only interesting characters in the film.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Yeah Spider loving ruled, I remember seeing screens of his whitedread rear end and joking "oh man I met this guy at Shambhala, that custom gas mask he's wearing is gonna make him a billionaire once he figures out how to dial in the nitrous dose," but his character arc pleasantly surprised me in the film. The fire extinguisher bit was harsh as gently caress, I think he may have legit killed that boat pilot. Only disappointing thing was him saving Quarritch in the end, a bit of a contrived moment to create drama in further sequels, so I get it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I saw this thing last night and it was entertaining enough but, like everyone else, felt it was way too long.

Not sure if it was the projection or what but the 3D didn't kick in or look right until about 15 or 20 minutes in for some reason. I was getting double vision and nothing would stay in focus for me, forcing me to keep one eye closed sometimes or avert my eyes away from the screen. I was seriously considering just going to give up, go to sleep and let my son watch it and then, not sure why, but suddenly it just looked right so I was happy about that.

Could this be the HFR issue people talked about? I've seen 3D movies before and this had never happened to me. Maybe it just took a while for my eyes to adjust or something?

Movie was OK but I doubt I'll see it again, much like the first movie. My review would basically be boiled down to:

Amusement Park Ride: The Motion Picture

Most of it, aside from the world building, felt like it was just moving from set piece to set piece with some really shallow and forgettable characterization in between. No one is really memorable, charismatic or all that interesting to me. I also really hated the kidnapped/prisoner/double agent character and didn't like how he was played at all. Forgot his name.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something to be said how Spider's in an incredibly weird cultural place as a child who clearly identifies more with the Na'vi who helped raise him, who has his dead fanatical human soldier father finally show up in a Na'Vi body and actually eager to learn Na'Vi ways, and listens to him- doesn't actually DO what Spider would want, but does pay attention to him takes him seriously and treats what he has to say as valuable information. That's uh, going to make an impression on a teenager, especially a cultural misfit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Debating on whether to go watch this. Should I watch it in 3D or just normal? My only experience with 3D movies was 10ish years ago and it was nauseating and also poo poo.

I look forward to hearing the feedback on whether this film is worth a watch.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Qubee posted:

Debating on whether to go watch this. Should I watch it in 3D or just normal? My only experience with 3D movies was 10ish years ago and it was nauseating and also poo poo.

If you have a Dolby cinema, or IMAX laser system nearby, see it in 3D. it looks great compared to the sort of RealD 3D from 10 years ago.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Avatar was a one and done movie for me-- top of the line visual 3D experience in theater with a throw away story/characters.

I don't know if it was the movie or my theater, but Avatar 2 disappointed in this regard. I saw it in IMAX 3D in Lincoln Center in NYC. While parts of the movie were beautiful (mostly the underwater sequences) an equal amount looked hilariously bad. All the land based combat scene, particularly the train convoy attack, looked like cut scenes from early 2000 RTS games complete with framerate drops. Watching the FPS drop in such a high budget production was unreal. I did not walk out of the theater with the same sense of tech-based awe that I did for the first film.

Since this is the sole appeal of these movies for me, I would consider this a pretty big disappointment. It seems like people in this thread are able to get way more invested in the world/characters (you all actually know their names!), but neither movie has been capable of making me feeling any significant emotion or interest. In terms of mega-blockbusters, despite all their numerous flaws, the marvel movies character moments are able to land with more emotional weight for me than anything so far in these 2 films.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
DISCLAIMER: I haven’t seen the movie in HFR yet.

But it really sounds like the way Jim implemented HFR here was a mistake. Seems like it should have been implemented the way Marvel movies handle the aspect ratio changes for movies that were partially shot in IMAX - change it to the bigger aspect (or in this case, the higher frame rate) at the start of the scene and then keep it that way until the scene is over. The biggest complaint I hear about this movie is the rapidly changing frame rate.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Counterpoint: the HFR implementation was solid. I wonder if Jim has trashed the marvel imax implementation in his many comments about them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Qubee posted:

If you've had a bad experience with 3D before this is no different - same goes for HFR. See it in standard framerate 2D on the biggest, nicest screen possible.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

stev posted:

If you've had a bad experience with 3D before this is no different - same goes for HFR. See it in standard framerate 2D on the biggest, nicest screen possible.

You came in too late, buddy. I was just whelmed with the 3D experience, neither under nor overwhelmed. It was still the blurry, hard to focus on mishmash experience I remember from the last time I watched 3D. I think I would have enjoyed it more just regular old 2D.

Megasabin posted:

All the land based combat scene, particularly the train convoy attack, looked like cut scenes from early 2000 RTS games complete with framerate drops. Watching the FPS drop in such a high budget production was unreal. I did not walk out of the theater with the same sense of tech-based awe that I did for the first film.

The scenes with the seizure kid were really weird, the mocap was just janky in general and she'd have a rictus grin on her face whilst moving towards the camera and it just seemed poorly done. I chalked it up to me not being able to properly focus due to the 3D blurriness. Mocap in general was very poorly done.

I'm somewhat glad I watched the movie, but I walked out feeling like it wasn't entirely worth the expense I paid in time investment. The plot was weak, the voice acting at certain parts was really terrible (especially the women screaming). I wouldn't watch it again, unless I was extremely bored and it's been a few years down the line. I feel like the first movie was better in terms of plot and acting and sensibleness.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something to be said how Spider's in an incredibly weird cultural place as a child who clearly identifies more with the Na'vi who helped raise him, who has his dead fanatical human soldier father finally show up in a Na'Vi body and actually eager to learn Na'Vi ways, and listens to him- doesn't actually DO what Spider would want, but does pay attention to him takes him seriously and treats what he has to say as valuable information. That's uh, going to make an impression on a teenager, especially a cultural misfit.

Yeah it feels like this has to be a huge feature of the next movie. I feel like there's no way that Spider hasn't thought about avatars and Sully's transfer to a Na'vi body - he lives with avatar project technicians, but they don't grow the bodies there. So spending time with Quarritch has to have had him consider oh hey, this is where Na'vi bodies come from, and I can't imagine that didn't figure in the rescue decision too.

Puberty must have been a hell of a thing too, will be interesting to see if that gets addressed. Reminded me of that old Elfquest comic about the human kid growing up with elves.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Can someone find the man a cutscene from an early 2000s rts game

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah Spider loving ruled, I remember seeing screens of his whitedread rear end and joking "oh man I met this guy at Shambhala, that custom gas mask he's wearing is gonna make him a billionaire once he figures out how to dial in the nitrous dose," but his character arc pleasantly surprised me in the film. The fire extinguisher bit was harsh as gently caress, I think he may have legit killed that boat pilot. Only disappointing thing was him saving Quarritch in the end, a bit of a contrived moment to create drama in further sequels, so I get it.

Killing in the heat of battle, or as part of an escape attempt, is justifiable. But not killing in cold blood, nor executing prisoners. Leaving the wounded to die after the battle has ended, well, that is far more morally questionable. And Spider made a choice, that does not sit steady on his moral core, but he was likely to regret either choice he made. I don't see Spider switching sides away from the Na'vi, even if he has seen seen what the Na'vi are capable of. Neytiri was loving terrifying, Spider tried to hide from her for a reason.

I do think them not depicting what happened to the humans after the Seadragon sank a bit of moral cowardice on the filmmakers. Are basically prisoners now, they are stranded out in the middle of nowhere, in hostile territory with limited air and supplies, surrounded by hostile wildlife and adversaries. Na'vi can, but did not massacre their prisoners at the end of Avatar 1.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Horizon Burning posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VsdKesdaKs

Looks just like TWOW, what you mean?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Saw it again. This time I noticed the transitions to HFR and back but I have no idea what people are complaining about. It looks great?

I saw it in a dine in theater and they put so many pickles on my chicken sandwich. Like a whole jumbo dill sliced up. With blue cheese. Real good, A+ experience. Whalers obliterated.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 1, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Saw it again. This time I noticed the transitions to HFR and back but I have no idea what people are complaining about. It looks great?

HFR is always going to be a subjective experience. I think Cameron's use of HFR in TWOW is awesome and love it; I hope other directors (particularliy Ridley Scott, Zack Snyder, and Robert Rodriguez) can eventually match TWOW's implementation to great effect, should they ever want to go the HFR route.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 1, 2023

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Megasabin posted:

I saw it in IMAX 3D in Lincoln Center in NYC.

There is no IMAX auditorium at Lincoln Center.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Killing in the heat of battle, or as part of an escape attempt, is justifiable. But not killing in cold blood, nor executing prisoners. Leaving the wounded to die after the battle has ended, well, that is far more morally questionable. And Spider made a choice, that does not sit steady on his moral core, but he was likely to regret either choice he made. I don't see Spider switching sides away from the Na'vi, even if he has seen seen what the Na'vi are capable of. Neytiri was loving terrifying, Spider tried to hide from her for a reason.

I do think them not depicting what happened to the humans after the Seadragon sank a bit of moral cowardice on the filmmakers. Are basically prisoners now, they are stranded out in the middle of nowhere, in hostile territory with limited air and supplies, surrounded by hostile wildlife and adversaries. Na'vi can, but did not massacre their prisoners at the end of Avatar 1.

Look at the casting for the 3rd movie. I think the fate of the whalers gets addressed there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

Look at the casting for the 3rd movie. I think the fate of the whalers gets addressed there.

I'm expecting Oona Chaplin's character (Varang) to be a badass for some reason :allears:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

There is no IMAX auditorium at Lincoln Center.

Assuming they meant the Lincoln Square IMAX, Ive heard people mix that up before.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

stev posted:

In my experience, all 3D movies aren't made the same. I've seen a few 3D movies in the same theater, and some look bad, while others look good. If Avatar looks bad, I suspect either a problem with the eyes or the theater setup.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

"The mo-cap is bad", lmao the movie isn't perfect, you don't need to make up the dumbest poo poo imaginable for why you're a brave truth teller vs popular thing.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Just got out of IMAX HFR. It loving ruled. The action scenes were bananas. The only thing I thought was weird is the HFR scenes just seemed completely random and it got a little noticeable during the action scenes.

Also I never go to the movies anymore but the pandemic truly made people forget basic theater behavior goddamn. Kid on a loving iPad in my theater.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Horizon Burning posted:

lol right? What kind of theater are people watching this in? Or do they just come in with reviews already decided

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

checkplease posted:

lol right? What kind of theater are people watching this in? Or do they just come in with reviews already decided

The emotional beats just don't land on the level of the MCU. *puffs bubble pipe*

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The whole "this looks like a turd that a dog ate and then pooped out again, absolutely atrocious, I need to bleach my eyes" hyperbolic style of 'internet criticism' was getting a bit shopworn in 2008, doing it in earnest in 2022 is pretty wild.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The whole "this looks like a turd that a dog ate and then pooped out again, absolutely atrocious, I need to bleach my eyes" hyperbolic style of 'internet criticism' was getting a bit shopworn in 2008, doing it in earnest in 2022 is pretty wild.

MY EYES!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The movie looks perfectly fine. The issue is that it's a little too "fine", with no particularly interesting shots and basic-rear end continuity editing at best. (At worst, the movie has fairly major structural problems spackled over with crap expository dialogue. Like, for example: the unending narrated prologue that offers little or no useful information besides that kids were born. That's Cameron wasting our time.)

When people say that the effects are bad or the characters 'unlikeable', it's usually an attempt to articulate some broader issue. Like, there's nothing particularly "wrong" with the characters in the abstract, but we don't care because of issues with the narrative. One example: the ending of the film hinges on the threat of Jakesully and Neytiri being stuck underwater. But watching it, I was like, "so what? These guys can hold their breath for like half an hour."

You have to kind of puzzle out that mom & dad never actually learned to hold their breath, despite having spent months as professional fish-riders for the holds-their-breath clan. So what the gently caress were they doing all this time? You're hit with the fact that they don't really do anything at all, for the bulk of the movie.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 1, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The CGI on the recent effects heavy Marvel movies look like poo poo because the directors and producers squeeze the gently caress out of the effects houses.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You have to kind of puzzle out that mom & dad never actually learned to hold their breath, despite having spent months as professional fish-riders for the holds-their-breath clan. So what the gently caress were they doing all this time? You're hit with the fact that they don't really do anything at all, for the bulk of the movie.

You don't have to puzzle it out because we are shown that Jake spent more time bro'ing out with Tonowari and learning to ride the skimwing while his kids were integrating with the Metkayina by learning the way of water. Neytiri was a fair bit stubborn about seeking out sanctuary under the Metkayina, even butting heads with the Ronal on their first meeting. The movie makes it quite clear Neytiri wanted to take a more proactive approach and bring the fight straight to Quaritch 2, and that she didn't like the idea of leaving her people. Her reluctant acceptance to leave the Omaticaya (because she trusts Jake) directly affects her reservations about becoming part of the Metkayina clan.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

You don't have to puzzle it out because we are shown that Jake spent more time bro'ing out with Tonowari and learning to ride the skimwing while his kids were integrating with the Metkayina by learning the way of water.

I'm not talking about 'plot holes'. Like, this came up earlier when it was asked how Quarritch learned that Jake left town. "He just figured it out somehow" is an acceptable answer when you're filling out a wiki entry, but it's narratively inert.

In this case, establishing that a character cannot do something is as important to the narrative as establishing that he can.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm not talking about 'plot holes'. Like, this came up earlier when it was asked how Quarritch learned that Jake left town. "He just figured it out somehow" is an acceptable answer when you're filling out a wiki entry, but it's narratively inert.

In this case, establishing that a character cannot do something is as important to the narrative as establishing that he can.

That's a fair criticism, but I'm personally unbothered by it :shrug:

Maybe in an extended collector's cut we'll get scenes where RDA intel works out that the Omaticaya raids are no longer being lead by Sully, and/or will include scenes of Jake and Neytiri struggling to learn the way of water or something. And also show where the Metkayina went after the seadragon starts to sink during the final battle I guess.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

teagone posted:

You don't have to puzzle it out because we are shown that Jake spent more time bro'ing out with Tonowari and learning to ride the skimwing while his kids were integrating with the Metkayina by learning the way of water. Neytiri was a fair bit stubborn about seeking out sanctuary under the Metkayina, even butting heads with the Ronal on their first meeting. The movie makes it quite clear Neytiri wanted to take a more proactive approach and bring the fight straight to Quaritch 2, and that she didn't like the idea of leaving her people. Her reluctant acceptance to leave the Omaticaya (because she trusts Jake) directly affects her reservations about becoming part of the Metkayina clan.

I thought they did know how to hold their breath. Like the parents were going through their own training arc, I mean Jake was doing it even more hardcore, trying to do the same thing he did to Skimwings as with the Ikran. It's all in parallel, re-iterating it would be a waste of screen time.

It's just that, after their long grueling fight with Quaritch, they were completely exhausted, all their muscle fibers blasted clear of glycogen, going into lactoacidosis. Hence they needed the breath jellyfish more than the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I thought they did know how to hold their breath. Like the parents were going through their own training arc, I mean Jake was doing it even more hardcore, trying to do the same thing he did to Skimwings as with the Ikran. It's all in parallel, re-iterating it would be a waste of screen time.

Jake trying to ride the skimwing before trying to bond with an illu is unrelated to him learning how to control his breathing because there was a scene where Neteyam, Kiri, and Lo'ak are explicitly being taught how to control their breaths by Tsireya and Rotxo. If you don't remember, it's the scene where Tsireya comments on Lo'ak's heart beating fast when she's got her hands on him, pushing against his diaphragm/gut.

There's another scene where Tsireya comments on how Lo'ak and Neteyam are learning to breath properly, and another where she drops a seashell deep into the reef for Lo'ak to dive after and retrieve during the whole way of water montage. We don't see Jake or Neytiri do the same, and there's that whole scene at the end of the film where Lo'ak gives Jake a crash course on the way of water.

[edit] I do agree with SMG that seeing a scene of Neytiri and Jake, and even Tuk being unable to control their breathing or struggling to do so during the Metkayina montage would've been effective to reinforce/bolster the stakes near the end of the climax and its resolution, but I don't think it's necessary since we're given scenes showing only Lo'ak and Kiri who have an affinity towards the way of water.

Darko said it earlier -- and I agree -- that Cameron is very efficient with plotting, but I guess sometimes to a fault for some.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 1, 2023