Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Great post, i loved Arkham Asylum but never did get round to City - I seem to remember it coming out around the time of the original Dark Souls - the combat in those Arkham games felt so brutal and stylish though, it's maybe time I dipped into City

You can get all of them (on steam at least) on Fanatikal atm for $7

The only one I ever finished was Arkham Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

veni veni veni posted:

You can get all of them (on steam at least) on Fanatikal atm for $7

The only one I ever finished was Arkham Knight.

They're only $8.99 right now on Playstation too -- I think this is what I bought

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Arkham Knight is a great game. I much preferred it over Arkham City which felt more like they took everything that made Arkham Asylum a great, tightly paced Metroidvania and just copy/pasted it into a more aimless-feeling open world game. Arkham Knight manages to make the greatly increased sense of scale mean something instead of just feeling like a giant playground.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't want to constantly whine about Arkham Knight every time it comes up, but I don't think making it fully open world did that game any favors, honestly. Ditching the rigid "room" structure of Asylum and City's encounters just drained any challenge or fun out of the Predator sequences for me.

I keep meaning to go back to Knight one of these days just to see if I would feel as negatively about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Arkham Knight looked loving amazing and really felt "next-gen" back in the day

It also gave us my favorite glitch video ever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arkham Knight still looks better than 95% of games today, if not more

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Arkham Knight was probably the first "holy poo poo graphics just got better" turning point game for me. I couldn't believe how good it looked.

I thought it was solid. I'm never gonna be very into Batman combat but I liked it enough to finish it. I think I played like half of Asylum and thought it was fine but it didn't grab me as much as other people and I got bored of City in under an hour. I've been thinking about going back to them lately.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Started playing Chorvs. Seems neat. Dunno if it's got enough to keep my attention for long tho

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The crazy thing about Arkham Knight is that it's an Unreal Engine 3 game and still manages to look better than many new games. The art direction is stellar.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2022 was the year of video game protagonists/characters that absolutely never shut the gently caress up and Chorvs and Plague Tale 2 broke some sort of world record for me for most annoying game characters ever. And that's saying a lot considering this is the year I played GOW Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West and High on Life.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 31, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I played and enjoyed Arkham Asylum well enough and then completely blanked out all the followup games for no real reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where did you learn to fly?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I got a new puppy and I love her to death but she’s completely disrupted my Gamer Time because puppies are very demanding and time consuming. I can’t be into something like Ragnarok right now. Just can’t sink into the flow of it. What should I play? I’m thinking games I don’t need to “lock” into to feel like I’m engaged. Stuff that’s fine to pause a lot in, come back to. Spend 15 minutes in or 2 hours but without feeling like I NEED that commitment. I don’t really want big plots or long immersive scenes and whatnot. I’m thinking stuff like sports games, hack and slash games, arcade shooters, honestly turn based rpgs might work. Any ideas?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I got a new puppy and I love her to death but she’s completely disrupted my Gamer Time because puppies are very demanding and time consuming. I can’t be into something like Ragnarok right now. Just can’t sink into the flow of it. What should I play? I’m thinking games I don’t need to “lock” into to feel like I’m engaged. Stuff that’s fine to pause a lot in, come back to. Spend 15 minutes in or 2 hours but without feeling like I NEED that commitment. I don’t really want big plots or long immersive scenes and whatnot. I’m thinking stuff like sports games, hack and slash games, arcade shooters, honestly turn based rpgs might work. Any ideas?

I’m kind of in the same boat with an injured cat that requires a lot of attention and care and while I have still been trying to work through Ragnarok, I have definitely had to take breaks because it’s such a commitment and kind of mentally and emotionally taxing.

For me, my chill-out game has been a new character in Elden Ring so I can slowly start working on the PS4 platinum trophy (already got the PS5 plat). You can play it in small chunks, and once you’ve found enough graces on the map you can warp around to do stuff of varying time commitments based on what you feel like. Have only a few minutes? Explore a bit more of the open world, find some more graces. Have about 15-30 minutes? Warp to one of the small caves or dungeons you haven’t cleared yet. Have an hour or more? Work through a legacy dungeon. It’s kind of brilliant how it works for varying chunks of gameplay time, and if you’ve already beaten it you can spend less time exploring for exploration’s sake and very efficiently progress to what you want to next.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Vampire Survivors

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Midnight Suns or another turn-based game (Triangle Strategy is high on my list of games to play) might be a good pick, you can mess with the kitty/puppy during cutscenes and you can get up at any time without even having to pause

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

Neon white!!!!!!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kilometers Davis posted:

God help me, Marvel Snap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fix posted:

God help me, Marvel Snap.
I was going to post this

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Did you post your list????

I don't know if it's possible. I played so many all time bangers this year, looking at the whole list I don't even think putting them in an order can happen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe in you!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

imhotep posted:

Neon white!!!!!!

No way. You will lose two hours trying to get from 28.75 to 28.65

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

haveblue posted:

No way. You will lose two hours trying to get from 28.75 to 28.65

True. These two videos were probably recorded 30 minutes apart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5Tms_YuDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQqmhRzkUU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lol i just to the bit in chorvs where you unlock drifting and now this game can go gently caress itself lol

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Drifting and the jump behind are what that game does.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I dont like it. My brain doesn't like it. Maybe I'll give it another go later but I was like holy gently caress I cant control this ship anymore

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought that game felt good for about 15 minutes and it was all downhill from there

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I'm calling it, 2023 will be.... the year of 30fps :cool:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I got a new puppy and I love her to death but she’s completely disrupted my Gamer Time

Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYN1BTFXGew

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aipsh I am losing my poo poo reading your list, ie. The Airing of Grievances 2022™

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Me reading aipsh’s 13 sentinels blurb: :clint:

Me reading aipsh’s forgotten city blurb: :blastu:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Blame me. Aipsh said he was going to lose his mind if I put the final fantasies over ragnarok. He had no idea my true fffeelings.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Aipsh's list owns however playing ff7r for 3 hours is not giving the franchise a try. You must suffer through the FF4 pixel remaster like esco if you want to achieve that accolade

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Happy New Year!
https://twitter.com/tomqe/status/1609202757499592706?t=HkN0iWXF9Msh1eUqAaKAcw&s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Aipsh's list owns however playing ff7r for 3 hours is not giving the franchise a try. You must suffer through the FF4 pixel remaster like esco if you want to achieve that accolade

:hmmyes:

FFIV owns but also esco is a true soldier

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It pinballs so wildly between really cool and a complete loving nightmare. I’m honestly not entirely sure the concept of liking this style of combat isn’t just a huge prank the entire world is playing on me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I decided to replay RDR2 story mode just because I want a nice chill cowboy simulator but without any online poo poo and man I forgot how bad these controls suck until you get used to them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a mere taste of my suffering

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Esco moments away from pulling off another father gascoigne with ff4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

:goofy: