Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buff Hardback posted:

Are you sure they didn't say "trust a password manager without a browser extension"?

A browser extension adds an additional layer of "did I save this on paypal.com but try to copy and paste on peepal.com".

I went back to double-check the thread and it was actually someone else who said that, though the someone else is a person who is I would consider a pretty elite security professional. He elaborated later that he meant for his own use and not as a general recommendation to the public, because he weighs the risk of browser compromise as relatively high. We were both part of a small group that was targeted with a Java-zero-day watering hole attack at a previous employer (like, our usernames were in the payload), and he’s had similar experiences in subsequent roles, so I can sort of understand the sensitivity. (I don’t share the sensitivity, myself. What are the odds of it happening twice? Same reason I always carry my own bomb on a plane.)

Webauthn or passkeys or whatever kills passwords, we’re ready for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I feel if your browser gets owned, or the website you're on gets owned having a browser extension or not for your vault isn't gonna make your cred stash that much more safer. I'm admittedly "Not Good(tm)" at security though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In the case of total browser take over it’s going to be easier to manipulate the browser extension into invisibly giving up the whole store than it would be to do that to an external, securely-designed process. I buy that there’s meaningful depth to that defence.

I’m just an idiot who is sure he’ll get phished and wants the second check of the domain not matching, so I take the extension path.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I feel like the big weakness is the extension having the ability to go "hey I want the creds for this site" and getting them without any user input or confirmation from the password manager side.

If the password manager itself confirmed the request by having the user interact with the notification icon (or some other UI created by the password manager itself rather than the browser), then a lot of that risk goes away, I think.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

In the case of total browser take over it’s going to be easier to manipulate the browser extension into invisibly giving up the whole store than it would be to do that to an external, securely-designed process. I buy that there’s meaningful depth to that defence.

I’m just an idiot who is sure he’ll get phished and wants the second check of the domain not matching, so I take the extension path.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

like 99% of keeping yourself secure is going "im gonna gently caress this up" and treating yourself like you would your great-uncle barnaby

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m surprised that there isn’t some standard protocol for talking to a password manager in a separate process such that the browser or other app can request a credential and the manager can pop a confirmation dialog or just rate limit and yell. Similar to what iOS and I presume Android have, I guess.

I wouldn’t want to be in charge of getting it standardized and adopted, though. Not it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

1password's browser extension integrates with and requires the installed app's security controls, so it seems a lot safer than what others do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I’d like to see Bitwarden do that too, but it’s a bunch of additional complexity and friction and probably support burden at least in the first few iterations, so I can understand why they didn’t start there.

Is what 1Password does documented well enough that someone could use it as a starting point for other apps?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I’d like to see Bitwarden do that too, but it’s a bunch of additional complexity and friction and probably support burden at least in the first few iterations, so I can understand why they didn’t start there.

Is what 1Password does documented well enough that someone could use it as a starting point for other apps?

I'm going to guess no because it's a proprietary commercial product, but I will absolute promote 1password's method. It's not much of a hassle at all, autofill on mobile and desktop works great, and it's very seamless. I'm a big fan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought they might have done a white paper on how they integrate securely with browsers or something, but I can’t find anything. I’ll ask my contact there but he probably won’t say much.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Subjunctive posted:

I’m surprised that there isn’t some standard protocol for talking to a password manager in a separate process such that the browser or other app can request a credential and the manager can pop a confirmation dialog or just rate limit and yell. Similar to what iOS and I presume Android have, I guess.

I wouldn’t want to be in charge of getting it standardized and adopted, though. Not it.

Chrome, Edge and Safari (not sure about Firefox) each have their own password vaults which they try to use as a carrot to get you to sign into the browser to sync that vault across multiple devices. I know Edge at least even offers to generate passwords for you if it detects you’re on a signup page. I doubt there’d be much incentive to give that up easily unless it was an OS-level integration like how iOS works, and even then I’m sure Edge and Chrome would try very hard to make you use their own vaults.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

I'd be interested to hear their reasoning because I'm not aware of any historical examples of sites being able to spoof their identity to extensions in this way.
i mean there's been a few affecting password managers. like lastpass: https://labs.detectify.com/2016/07/27/how-i-made-lastpass-give-me-all-your-passwords/ or keeper: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1481

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Safari sort of does this on ios. you can choose to fill passwords from another secure storage besides iCloud Keychain, e.g. you can fill in a password from chrome’s password store while using safari

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

I can only assume they are afraid of a bug that allows one site to trick the extension into filling creds for another site.

That outcome seems a lot more likely to occur if you forgo the extension entirely and the app must e.g. trust the active browser tab's window title, or have the user copy and paste fields manually.

I'd be interested to hear their reasoning because I'm not aware of any historical examples of sites being able to spoof their identity to extensions in this way.
This wouldn't be a problem if the dark pattern of auto-fill didn't exist.
Copy-paste is a bad idea because JavaScript gives read-access to the clipboard unless the user toggles the option off (it's on by default).

Just have the extension inject a DOM object that users can click, as well as a keyboard shortcut that triggers the same DOM object.

Here's how simple it can be done:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i mean there's been a few affecting password managers.
yeah i'd forgotten just how bad things were

awful

same bug class as that guy in here who tried rolling his own pw manager lol (one two)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Trying to get a friend to dump LastPass but they said they hated 1Password on iOS. How is Dashlane? They are thinking of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did they say what they didn't like about 1Password?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mostly issues with autofill, but I'll ask for more details.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

AutoFill on iOS is going to behave pretty much the same no matter which app you’re using because they all use the native AutoFill api

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

"use the same password for everything but with one change to make it unique to the site, also I constantly forget them and why would anyone want to impersonate me anyway???"

Reported for doxxing as I'm adding things into Bitwarden I'm creating new 16 character mixed everything passwords I swear :(

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

i just tested both since I felt I should before deciding what to flee to and bitwarden seems more feature complete to me.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you do have to switch off the default ios auto fill and turn on passwordmanager auto fill i think

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

how are you guys using yubikey? I've got an nfc that's currently managing authenticator codes but feel like I could do more with it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Thanks for the tips about iOS autofill. I'll pass it along.

Any thoughts on Dashlane though?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

how are you guys using yubikey? I've got an nfc that's currently managing authenticator codes but feel like I could do more with it.

I mostly use mine for azure ad passwordless creds, too few slots for totp registrations to be useful.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

Company uses it for most of our major sign in portals that support it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I mostly use mine for azure ad passwordless creds, too few slots for totp registrations to be useful.

Defenestrategy posted:

Company uses it for most of our major sign in portals that support it.

kinda what I was gathering, bummer. was hopeful for more consumer uses. company is whispering about switching SSO and allowing yubi so :pray:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I don't understand the "allowing" part. Its still weird to me that most defaults don't enable fido2 or whatever, but company's not having it enabled because they fear it seems wild to me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

I don't understand the "allowing" part. Its still weird to me that most defaults don't enable fido2 or whatever, but company's not having it enabled because they fear it seems wild to me.

Some of our branches are not allowed to use WHfB because local managers don't trust the cloud with biometric data(when the data never leaves the enrolled machines).

Famethrowa posted:

kinda what I was gathering, bummer. was hopeful for more consumer uses. company is whispering about switching SSO and allowing yubi so :pray:

Consumer usage is pretty much dead on arrival with passkeys being widely rolled out now without the inconvenience of a extra device.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why are local managers setting corporate policy

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sickening posted:

I suspect it's help desk, since SSO is company wide and they previously killed hardware tokens. easier to just troubleshoot everyone's mobile app issues.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Famethrowa posted:

I suspect it's help desk, since SSO is company wide and they previously killed hardware tokens. easier to just troubleshoot everyone's mobile app issues.

I feel like the troubleshooting the mobile app overlaps won’t the fido2 stuff. Same admin activities.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanna like yubikeys and other things like it but I bought one a few years back to play with and it was annoying as gently caress and I figured the additional security just wasn’t worth it for me. Having to futz around with a physical usb thing was just too annoying.

What I’d really like is something like:

1. I go to a website and hit a keyboard shortcut or whatever to login

2. Safari pushes a notification to my Apple Watch and/or iPhone saying “hey lemme scan your face to login” and I do so

3. Tada I’m logged in

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 1, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Because central IT has the moral fortitude of a squashed snail and will cave in to any request.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What I’d really like is something like:

1. I go to a website and hit a keyboard shortcut or whatever to login

2. Safari pushes a notification to my Apple Watch and/or iPhone saying “hey lemme scan your face to login” and I do so

3. Tada I’m logged in

Welcome to passkeys, available since last September.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Corporate policy requires corporate governance. But that's hard and annoying to do, so...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SlowBloke posted:

Because central IT has the moral fortitude of a squashed snail and will cave in to any request.

How do I use them

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I use them

1. Wait for more than a handful of websites to support them.

2. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/sign-in-with-passkeys-iphf538ea8d0/ios

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

SlowBloke If Central will cave to any request... then I say bring the requests to Central. There will be nothing you can't do, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Crime on a Dime posted:

SlowBloke If Central will cave to any request... then I say bring the requests to Central. There will be nothing you can't do, probably.

I am central and I have stopped giving any shadow of a gently caress about following any sane standard. I'll just set up stuff while knowing that it's 50/50 on being reverted in a week due to leadership being scared of looking bad.

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I use them

If a website supports Yubikeys, it supports passkeys. Just follow the site FIDO enroll workflow in safari and follow the onscreen instructions to add the fido data to iCloud Keystore.