Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I was thinking of getting another 3060 Ti, and have discovered that Bestbuy now has FEs listed as "Unavailable".

Very torn now between waiting to see how disappointing the 4060s are gonna be, and poking around on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
At the rate things are going, the 4060 will be a box containing a letter from Jensen saying “gently caress you”

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WilWheaton posted:

At the rate things are going, the 4060 will be a box containing a letter from Jensen saying “gently caress you”

You heard it here first: they are going to discontinue the 3060 12GB, keep the 3080 8GB, and sell a 4060 for $400 that underperforms the 3060 12GB.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The 4060 will cost $400 and the box will only contain a coupon for $250 off the purchase of a 4080

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I would expect it to be 20-30% more expensive than the part with a similar name from the generation before and 30-40% more performant. Copy paste that for the entire line. Still a price/performance increase… but not much. As always, ignore the names.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

I always heard parsec was even worse, at least on the client side moonlight is solid. I might be misinformed though

This digital foundry video covers it pretty well

https://youtu.be/BKd6vTE3xgk

I’ve always had great luck with parsec.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

orcane posted:

The same MBAs who came up with RTX 4000 pricing probably think people should buy Geforce Now subscriptions, not stream to their TVs for free.

Those MBAs are probably trying to figure out how to sell a subscription to stream games from your own bought-and-paid-for graphics card.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PBCrunch posted:

Those MBAs are probably trying to figure out how to sell a subscription to stream games from your own bought-and-paid-for graphics card.

Please no. :guillotine:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

PBCrunch posted:

RTX 5090, only $1999 plus $9.99/month to gain access to 3D acceleration! For an additional $5.99 for our Streamer Pak (best value!) per month, enable video hardware video encoding and RTX voice! No subscription? Video out only. Subscribe and save today!

Requires internet connection to validate license. No grace period if license server cannot be contacted. Card will explosively self-destruct if it detects a modified VBIOS. User waves all liability if modified VBIOS detection is a false positive.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Subscription unlocks for the part of your GPU you don't technically need(TM). Just copy paste the arguments people use in defense of Intel doing it with datacenter CPUs. Surely it will make the GPUs cheaper for general consumers!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

To deliver you the most premium experience nvidia now uses proprietary video cables! For only $50 you can get our patented NVLink to DisplayPort cable (not included with purchase)

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

WilWheaton posted:

I always heard parsec was even worse, at least on the client side moonlight is solid. I might be misinformed though

I use it to game on my home pcs while in hotels (if their internet isn't complete poo poo). Works great.

Online fighting game weeklies are held over Parsec if their netcode (MVC3) is poo poo to give an idea how good it is.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

lamentable dustman posted:

I use it to game on my home pcs while in hotels (if their internet isn't complete poo poo). Works great.

Online fighting game weeklies are held over Parsec if their netcode (MVC3) is poo poo to give an idea how good it is.

Is that with the free version? I'm looking into Parsec and don't mind paying for a couple months to try it if I need to but if you need the paid versions to game, you're almost in Geforce Now territory.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the problem with Steam Link? I've used it to stream to my Deck/Retroid Pocket before and it was fine

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Steam Link is "fine," but moonlight is just better.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

brilliant move by nvidia to discontinue a feature that everyone seems to agree is best-in-class

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hemish posted:

Is that with the free version? I'm looking into Parsec and don't mind paying for a couple months to try it if I need to but if you need the paid versions to game, you're almost in Geforce Now territory.

You don’t have to pay for it.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

repiv posted:

brilliant move by nvidia to discontinue a feature that everyone seems to agree is best-in-class

Not just best in class but also like the major selling point of an entire product line; I imagine I'd be pretty mad if I ever bought any of the shield products.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’ve got two Shields, they are still the best streaming boxes and miles better than what’s built into TVs, but the forced addition of Googles lovely ads the eventual loss of GameStream, with the increasing need to side load replacements to restore those lost features, has blunted the value proposition to be sure. I don’t think Nvidia plans to keep the line around for much longer, personally.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm visiting family out of town and there is a Microcenter nearby so I mosied on in and grabbed a MSI watercooled 4090. It's a slot thinner than my 3080, so that's nice; I would have had to remove my USB 20gbs card if my GPU had gotten any thicker.

My case has room in the front for the 240mm radiator that is paired with the 4090, and I already have a 360mm AIO up top for my CPU. I feel like my case's internal temp would be cooler if the GPU radiator was up top pushing out rather than being my only intake pulling in. I'm not certain if my case will accept the 360mm radiator in the front though.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

If I wasn't dead set on wasting idiotic amounts of money and revert to my old self:

It seems RT 6750 XTs hovering roughly around 500 filthy eurobucks seems like a good deal, 3070Ti s about 700ish euroclownbucks assuming raytracing is a must. 30 series seems out of stock otherwise or overpriced.

Does that sound about right?

I seriously doubt the situation is going to change until maybe the latter half of 2023.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

obligatory 3dmark leak

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Cygni posted:

I’ve got two Shields, they are still the best streaming boxes and miles better than what’s built into TVs, but the forced addition of Googles lovely ads the eventual loss of GameStream, with the increasing need to side load replacements to restore those lost features, has blunted the value proposition to be sure. I don’t think Nvidia plans to keep the line around for much longer, personally.

I have to wonder if they're going to dedicate their consumer SoC line to Nintendo and that's pretty much it. I had one of the initial run of Tegra 3 tablets, and it was pretty much a dud, hobbled by cheap slow storage to compensate for the cost of the SoC. Nvidia's offerings never took off in phones either.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

repiv posted:

obligatory 3dmark leak

What do these numbers mean?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

What do these numbers mean?

A 3090's score in the Port Royal benchmark is 94% of the score of a 4070Ti, as a measure of relative performance

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

so between the two RT benchmarks it slots in between the 3090 and 3090ti, albeit with half the memory, and in the last raster-only benchmark it's a little ahead of the 3090ti

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ada IS a performer.
That new card is the exact successor to a (highly overclocked) 12GB 3060, and just takes 3090Tis/6950XTs head on :boom:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So it's an almost-3090Ti for... how much less?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
799 USD before tax/~1000€ in Germany.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So a 4070Ti would be a decent, about double-ish?, upgrade for a 2070 Super? One that would allow me to keep my current case a PSU at least.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I still don't get why nvdia isn't selling a founders edition for the 4070s. Very excited to swap out my 2070 super tho. I hope I can snag one on launch.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

799 USD before tax/~1000€ in Germany.

So it's 20-30% better for 12.5% more money than a 3080 that came out 2 years ago.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

MH Knights posted:

So a 4070Ti would be a decent, about double-ish?, upgrade for a 2070 Super? One that would allow me to keep my current case a PSU at least.

i will probably get one on release, to replace a 2060

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

repiv posted:

obligatory 3dmark leak

so worse then a 7900xt but basically the same price?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

worse in the pure raster test but better in both of the RT tests

depends on your priorities

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

wargames posted:

so worse then a 7900xt but basically the same price?

The same story as usual, AMD wins in raster, Nvidia wins in RT. The 4070Ti being worse in raster than a card only $100 more makes it pretty unappealing though if the RDNA3 price cuts do start to happen because the XT and 70Ti could end up around the same price.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Will the 4070Ti even have a FE version to anchor the price? The effective price might as well be the 7900xt references.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ says there isn't going to be an FE version

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's no Nvidia or Windows way of forcing a windowed game to run borderless is there? Borderless Gaming isn't working right on this game (Saints Row 3 R, the game's also a constant stuttery mess, not sure what's causing this).

It's an issue that comes up fairly often when you want to run at higher than native but without going fullscreen, and the game doesn't do internal scaling (true of most older games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

njsykora posted:

The same story as usual, AMD wins in raster, Nvidia wins in RT. The 4070Ti being worse in raster than a card only $100 more makes it pretty unappealing though if the RDNA3 price cuts do start to happen because the XT and 70Ti could end up around the same price.

All of this feels like in inevitability of them always launching the halo cards alone first instead of a whole fleet of options like they used to. That itself is partly a reflection of the fact that more people buy used cards than did in the GeForce Single Digit or xx00 years, so already attainable performance at a new price is just flooding the market. But instead of trying to push used prices downwards and going "yeah, the halo card is ridiculously priced" like Intel would with Pentium Pro and Core 2 Extrene, they're just using the halo products as the pricing yardstick and going "yeah it's still absurdly expensive but it's 12% lower than the halo card".