Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mister Speaker posted:

Also fun fact: Tame Impala is one guy named after a lovely car.

One dude in the studio, but a bunch of very good musicians live. Highly recommend seeing them live if you like the recordings. More interesting imo.

And the name is about the animal, not the car. YIKES MOST BORING SNIPE

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You thought I was being serious?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mister Speaker posted:

You thought I was being serious?

whoops, I am gullible as hell, but I stand by my recommendation of hearing them live

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LinguisticsShi1/status/1609028456691666945

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Piss Creep posted:

Its the same singer the whole video and its some white guy who seems to be dressed as early years Undertaker

hard to get a good pic

If you sell hiphop to the suburbs for 50 years eventually they will think they own it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/Millionsofdead2/status/1608631273349865472?t=aWwXSgDQjz1PBjQ58SRVwg&s=19

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/cfbcampustour/status/1608972113775562753

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
the thing im going to miss the most about twitter is playing the twitter game

step one is to cultivate a feed absolutely chock full of classical art bots and sex workers

step two is to scroll until you find a good painting

step three is to back up and pretend the previous sex worker post caption applies to the painting

for example

https://twitter.com/artistserov/status/1609197965570088960

"💕Nipples time ! 💋kiss,👅lick,🤤sloppy‼️💕"

i dont find it likely that another service is ever going to just throw everyone together into the same bucket again its this dumb sites greatest accidental strength and overwhelming weakness

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If that guy wants it to be Nipple Time he's going to have to reciprocate.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
He looks like a man who truly appreciates nipple time

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/RoadshowPBS/status/1609024425122484225

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I couldn't find the smilie where it's the person walking through the door and immediately crumbling into a skeleton, so just imagine that I posted it here, thanks and god bless

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The ps1 launched in sep 1995 in north america. It's almost old enough to vote!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I think your math is off. It's been able to vote for nearly a decade now.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I think your math is off. It's been able to vote for nearly a decade now.

No! Impossible!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paper Tiger posted:

I couldn't find the smilie where it's the person walking through the door and immediately crumbling into a skeleton, so just imagine that I posted it here, thanks and god bless

:ohno:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/clapifyoulikeme/status/1608976616050528257

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sexual Lorax posted:

the thing im going to miss the most about twitter is playing the twitter game

step one is to cultivate a feed absolutely chock full of classical art bots and sex workers

step two is to scroll until you find a good painting

step three is to back up and pretend the previous sex worker post caption applies to the painting

for example

https://twitter.com/artistserov/status/1609197965570088960

"💕Nipples time ! 💋kiss,👅lick,🤤sloppy‼️💕"

i dont find it likely that another service is ever going to just throw everyone together into the same bucket again its this dumb sites greatest accidental strength and overwhelming weakness

Well, I haven't seen any sex workers yet, but Mastodon is certainly "just throw everyone together into the same bucket", so it's only a matter of time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, I haven't seen any sex workers yet, but Mastodon is certainly "just throw everyone together into the same bucket", so it's only a matter of time.

Is it? I thought the entire point of Mastodon was that everything was siloed and curated so you'd only ever be in the exact server/bucket you wanted instead of one feed of a billion people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn’t a goon make this? I saw this posted a few days ago here and I could’ve sworn the poster said it was theirs.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

projecthalaxy posted:

Is it? I thought the entire point of Mastodon was that everything was siloed and curated so you'd only ever be in the exact server/bucket you wanted instead of one feed of a billion people.

Mastodon.social is the biggest bucket everyone jumps in, then you can self-sort into whichever other buckets you choose

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

it's a bit of both, mastodon servers can talk to each other so in that sense it's not siloed, but servers can and do opt-out of interacting with specific other servers and in that case you're siloed from everyone on those servers

that can be for good reasons, like cutting off nazi or terfy servers, or due to stupid petty admin drama

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Some people like that, some people can't wait to turn it into Twitter 2 since Twitter is dying and they still need their doom scrolling brain juices.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh no! Not at all! There is that feed view, yes, but there's also the global federated feed which is made up of all posts from everyone on all servers*. It's like drinking from a firehose. You can also follow people from any* server, regardless of which one you're on.

*: server admins can block whole servers. The idea is that, since absolutely anyone can run a Mastodon server, there are going to end up being ones infested with shitlords, and all the admins of decently run servers will end up blocking them all. I'm very keen to see how this shakes out in practice as the userbase grows.

Though you can also personally block servers, too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn’t a goon make this? I saw this posted a few days ago here and I could’ve sworn the poster said it was theirs.

Yes and they specifically said they didn't share it much so chuds didn't bomb it lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

repiv posted:

it's a bit of both, mastodon servers can talk to each other so in that sense it's not siloed, but servers can and do opt-out of interacting with specific other servers and in that case you're siloed from everyone on those servers

that can be for good reasons, like cutting off nazi or terfy servers, or due to stupid petty admin drama

I see. I've not been on Mastodon so its been weird seeing different people promise several mutually exclusive things about it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I assume so since it says "the internet makes you stupid" a bunch but I hadn't seen it here

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It was in the idiots on social media thread but it got quickly snowed under in the current derail.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

projecthalaxy posted:

Hell, the Atari 2600 is almost old enough to join AARP.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Gravantus/status/1609051727663079424

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Flipperwaldt posted:

It was in the idiots on social media thread but it got quickly snowed under in the current derail.

quote:

(I don't spread it around too publicly because I always worry it'll get picked up by Nazi losers, but if there's any audience out there to appreciate it, it's this one.)

Oops.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BornAKang/status/1609092109545639938?s=20&t=VXekfM2bTLReCq1AwUAglA

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1608915548255158272?s=20&t=OcJwtUYNsyVFS01OsbgCTA

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

I see. I've not been on Mastodon so its been weird seeing different people promise several mutually exclusive things about it.

I think it depends on how you use it, and it can be used for different things.

Anyone can run a Mastodon instance/server/node (whatever you'd like to call it). I think the intention of each server depends on who's running it, including their server rules. They can choose to admit anyone, people only by approval, etc. You have an account on an instance, and you can see a feed of only people you're following (Home), and one of only people on that instance (Local).

But the instances are "federated", meaning they share data with each other, so you can also see posts by any user on any instance that's sharing data with the server you have an account on. Account names are expressed as @username@hosting server For instance, I'm @Hyperlynx@mastodon.au, but my Home feed (of who I'm following) shows posts from Rami Ismail (@tha_rami@mastodon.social), Winamp ⚡️ Skins Bot (@winampskins@botsin.space), Rod Hilton (@rodhilton@mastodon.social), TJ Cooney (@tjcooney@spacey.space). You can follow anyone on any instance, and you can see a Federated feed of all public posts on all instances.

I think the idea is that, if you like, you can make an account on a Mastodon instance that is just for your specific niche interest or community, so that your Local feed will be posts just from that community. Or, you can use an instance that admits pretty much everyone, that serves as an access point for the whole Mastodon system in general (mastodon.social, mastodon.au). The latter is much more like Twitter, I think. But, also, you can always access the entire thing from any server.

Personally I'm really keen to see how it develops as more people start using it. I think it's got a lot of potential. It's decentralised, and designed specifically for a decentralised environment. I'm very interested to see how things like content moderation and user verification end up shaking out. On that second one, I've seen a proposal that public figures such as journalists could be verified quite easily by their organisation itself running a Mastodon instance where the only users are staff members. By an account in question being a user of a hypothetical https://mastodon.washingtonpost.com, you would be guaranteed that they indeed work for The Washington Post by the same SSL certificates that guarantee that when you look at https://www.washingtonpost.com/ it's authentic.

Honestly I haven't seen any really cool accounts there yet, but it's early days.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Jan 1, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This thread by John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats is compassionate and insightful. https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1609338380852101120

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow this is actually funny and decently written.

Shout out to whatever goon this was

i only read the first couple slides, if that goon milkshake ducks me, I swear to god

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Crop-dusting the first class passengers while you walk to your seat in economy is the very least you can do for The Class War

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just gotta hope economy class can handle the smell... nay, the taste, of the shart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I poo poo through my pant leg