Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Slice and Dice is addictive as hell. I've gotten good enough that I can win most runs on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ciaphas posted:

nothing quite says "gently caress you" like the dragon rolling fire breath 4-5x in a row

That isn't close to as bad as Dragon rolling cleave poison multiple times in a row.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What are some really good Steam Deck roguelikes? I was thinking Tangledeep (although it's just listed as "Playable") and maybe Qud although i find its text hard enough to read on a screen sometimes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sproggiwood and Necrodancer. Apparently Rift Wizard is hard to read, shame.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I dig playing a little Slice and Dice on my work commute on the bus.

For those that have been playing it, am I weird for finding Classic to be harder than either Custom or Generate? Custom, in particular. For whatever reason, I am somewhat convinced one of every color is actually worse somehow than any other lopsided combination.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

For those that have been playing it, am I weird for finding Classic to be harder than either Custom or Generate? Custom, in particular. For whatever reason, I am somewhat convinced one of every color is actually worse somehow than any other lopsided combination.

There's very few classes that can do everything with any sort of reliability, so that might be why.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What are some really good Steam Deck roguelikes? I was thinking Tangledeep (although it's just listed as "Playable") and maybe Qud although i find its text hard enough to read on a screen sometimes.

I play so much Dead Cells and Skul the Hero Slayer on the Deck.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Will we find out about the size of the BIA in 2023?

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Jupiter Hell was designed with a controller in mind and works perfectly on the deck.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The thing I like about Slice and Dice is how much I learn to appreciate a given class. Things I used to think were rear end are things I now consider to be incredibly good.

The Eccentric is a really good example. The "having only 3 sides" thing is terrible at first glance, but the little fork being on the right side makes it terrific, since the right side is generally the easiest to buff, but frequently empty. Little stuff like that is appreciated.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Veryslightlymad posted:

There are absolutey Custom party combos that totally break the game, yeah, as it's normally balanced around never having two of the same color or class. Having multiple blue characters especially gets really strong as you're both gaining more ways to generate mana and more options to spend it; just make sure you have something up your sleeve for spell-immune enemies

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hah. I almost feel like blues are the absolute weakest, barring some equipment options, including one that makes them very much not mages any longer. Or fool's gold, at least, since Hexia is so punishing to magic. I think the easiest run I ever had was four reds and an orange.

I feel like the disparity in experience from person to person or run to run speaks highly of the game's design.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

The Bia has always been Big. The cowards merely removed our ability to read about it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hah. I almost feel like blues are the absolute weakest, barring some equipment options, including one that makes them very much not mages any longer. Or fool's gold, at least, since Hexia is so punishing to magic. I think the easiest run I ever had was four reds and an orange.

I feel like the disparity in experience from person to person or run to run speaks highly of the game's design.

Blues are usually about as good as your mana generation. I've definitely had some teams where Orange and Red can generate decent mana as well and that turns some blues like Sparky into nuclear missiles. That said, I've also definitely had teams where Blue was the weakest role, and most of the really support-heavy ones don't really impress me much without item help available for them since they often just feel like a watered-down Grey or Red with better mana generation and not necessarily giving something great to do with it.

I'd say every color but Red feels really strong when you start stacking it- either hitting critical offensive mass to finish most fights before survival becomes a large concern, or the ability to defensively power through most lineups while still getting some punch somewhere. Reds are probably the exception as most get healing and mana generation while not getting enough ways to prevent incoming damage like Grey or things to do with that mana like Blue.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing a bunch of Tiny Rogues. It's fantastic-- definitely a game that can be as easy or as challenging as you'd like it to be. I get Isaac vibes from it without the Isaac grossness.

Serephina posted:

Sproggiwood and Necrodancer. Apparently Rift Wizard is hard to read, shame.

Outright unplayable imo. A shame, I love Rift Wizard a lot and it sucks that it's so awful to play without a mouse.

FrickenMoron posted:

The Bia has reached critical mass. One day, friend. One day.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mr. Locke posted:

Blues are usually about as good as your mana generation. I've definitely had some teams where Orange and Red can generate decent mana as well and that turns some blues like Sparky into nuclear missiles. That said, I've also definitely had teams where Blue was the weakest role, and most of the really support-heavy ones don't really impress me much without item help available for them since they often just feel like a watered-down Grey or Red with better mana generation and not necessarily giving something great to do with it.

I'd say every color but Red feels really strong when you start stacking it- either hitting critical offensive mass to finish most fights before survival becomes a large concern, or the ability to defensively power through most lineups while still getting some punch somewhere. Reds are probably the exception as most get healing and mana generation while not getting enough ways to prevent incoming damage like Grey or things to do with that mana like Blue.

Yeah, see, I am pretty convinced reds are the strongest once you get out of low tiers. Red spells go kinda crazy. Red is more likely to have something truly disgusting like boost or growth sides. As far as I know, the wraith is the only non generated class with a cantrip dodge. Self-heal/attack is a fantastic side when it comes up.... They definitely have things they don't do well (aside the
.. one??? Class that has a growth shield and the wraith who only protects herself, they're not great at mitigation, as you said) Vine is probably the best regular spell in the game, it's a shame it's stuck on tier 2.

I think it ultimately comes down to found equipment. I can safely say every color has been my MVP on a win, and I can't think of a non-generated tier 3 that isn't at least situationally awesome. And I think I have also refused a promotion from 2 to 3 on every color at least once.

Edit
Thinking on it, red does have access to a very good damage mitigation tool. Heal+Vitality is essentially a better shield.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 29, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
In Slice & Dice, blue heroes are, broadly speaking, the most reliably useful in (almost) every situation - they're generally best at mana generation, and having lots of mana lets you flexibly deal damage, protect heroes, and apply other effects at your own discretion (when normally you'd be dependent on specific die faces for those things). This helps to turn fights into logistical puzzles rather than tests of luck - and it makes it easier to pivot from an all-out blitz to hunkering down and hoping for better rolls next turn. You can't reroll those unwanted faces once you're at 0 rerolls, but you can undo all your offensive Burst casts and start piling on shields instead.

There are a few nasty exceptions here, of course - if a Jinx or an unlucky curse draw gives you Slow Spells or some other spellcasting malus (Forget Burst :gonk:), this strategy can implode rather abruptly. Likewise, Hexia can gently caress your entire run if you haven't got some way to sustainably protect your blue hero from her mana burn.

If you can prepare a contingency plan for those specific pitfalls, though, mana is king. The "easiest" way by far to beat Brutal difficulty is to stack a custom party of all blues (I heartily recommend at least three Cultists for those fat Pain mana faces) and just nuke everything before it can kill you by hurling a massive wall of spells at it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I did an all blue 3 cultist party after reading about it here and immediately beat brutal and got the <25 victory doing the same in heaven so I can confirm it’s busted

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I don't think Hexia is really even that big of a problem for an all blue party. Warlock kills her in 3 hits with blaze (while only losing one mage in the process), and you've got 10 chances to roll that before the final boss + only a 50% or 33% chance you even roll her as the boss. And that's not even getting into the various ways you can mitigate mana burn either.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What are some really good Steam Deck roguelikes?

Golden Krone Castle.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Veryslightlymad posted:

The thing I like about Slice and Dice is how much I learn to appreciate a given class. Things I used to think were rear end are things I now consider to be incredibly good.

The Eccentric is a really good example. The "having only 3 sides" thing is terrible at first glance, but the little fork being on the right side makes it terrific, since the right side is generally the easiest to buff, but frequently empty. Little stuff like that is appreciated.

I think it just comes down to the item + class combinations, eccentric can enable some really strong combinations with items which replace your left / middle face since those items are usually balanced around those faces being useful rather than empty

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Shiren 5 was originally a DS game, it was made with controllers in mind and is 50% off at the moment.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Being a 90% off , I decided to buy A Celebration of Violence. I think it was liked by some people here.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Shiren 5 was originally a DS game, it was made with controllers in mind and is 50% off at the moment.

The only issue is the launcher that opens when you open the game; you need to set it to use a 360 controller (one time) and click the button to actually launch the game. You can do this by either setting the deck to mouse controls or (the way I do it) just use the touch screen. Besides that, it is flawless on deck.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

Being a 90% off , I decided to buy A Celebration of Violence. I think it was liked by some people here.

Yeah, it has a cult following here. It's a slow start, but when it hits, it hits.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I bounced off of Slice & Dice when I first tried it out but I gave it another go since the thread won't shut up about it and yeah, it's pretty good. Took me half a dozen tries to beat Hard and then got a Statue with scaling cantrip defends on every face :getin: Game is good.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Hexia was obnoxious for me too until I realized that if Hexia and your last hero die at the same time it still counts as a win for you. Now I just go big damage and suicide all my guys until I win.

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 1, 2023

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

OutOfPrint posted:

Yeah, it has a cult following here. It's a slow start, but when it hits, it hits.

I bounced off it at first then it became my third most played game of 2022. Hard to get the ball rolling and the metaprogression makes a significant difference. Game rules though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

been playing Tiny Rogues again. was this thing in the christmas update? :ohdear:

(edit) good weapon though

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 1, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wow, that's a powerful event reward

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Drone Incognito posted:

Hexia was obnoxious for me too until I realized that if Hexia and your last hero die at the same time it still counts as a win for you. Now I just go big damage and suicide all my guys unt I win.

This is precisely how I got my first easy win!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Is Noita pretty bad or am I missing something?

The game is supposed to be about wand building and aggressive enemies, but I die every time in the Hiisi base, with the sweetest wand in hand, because of some new impossible to predict bullshit. The thing about having every pixel be interactive is that if something looks like a pile of dust it should also behave like it instead of being a solid loving platform you can get stuck on/get hosed by. Also should I really die because I accidentally landed on a tiny toxic sludge stain for a second while fighting 3 enemies at the same time? Game is super creative with wands and the interactive world is a blast to play in, but drat everything is so random all the time and it seems random is NEVER in your favor in Noita.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's a game where runs can be tens of hours long. It has to click and didn't really for me either.

Curious if it has a dead cells like progression that really sucks right out of the gate, but never really got that far.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I found Noita to be exceptionally dull. I think it's one of those games that will either grab you hard or push you away hard and not so much in between.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's a game where runs can be tens of hours long. It has to click and didn't really for me either.

Curious if it has a dead cells like progression that really sucks right out of the gate, but never really got that far.

If you mean like metaprogression, there are some spells that won't appear in the drop pool until you've killed certain bosses or discovered certain secrets, but most of that stuff is pretty out of the way and you could easily complete a successful run without knowing 90% of it exists-- there's nothing like the meta power progression of the Dead Cells blacksmith in the game.

I love Noita but I definitely have to be in a mood for it; it's very slow and rewards cautious play, runs are long, and they can be over in an instant. When all that comes together in the right way it creates a sense of tension that I've never seen in another action roguelite and it captures something those other games don't about old-school traditional RLs. Positioning and line of sight and initiating combat on your own terms is very important, and unless poo poo has hit the fan there's usually no need to rush, you can assess threats and have a lot of time to plan your angle of attack. I think what made it click for me is when I started playing it more like a stealth game and less like Spelunky.

edit: Hiisi base is really where that becomes important, too-- it went from my least favorite zone and my personal wall to one of my favorites. There are so many things that can go wrong if you run through the level aggroing everything, but developing a plan to take advantage of chokepoints and hazards makes me feel like a genius.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 1, 2023

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Did they ever solve the mystery of the eyes?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Post poste posted:

Did they ever solve the mystery of the eyes?

Last time I checked, nobody has yet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's also mods that take away some of the rougher spots, ie. you can give yourself health recovery, the option to modify wands whenever and a bunch of other helpful little tools. Absolutely no shame in using them, I found it made Noita much more enjoyable after I got over the initial "oh let's see what this wand does, oh it blew up half the level and killed me haha that's cool" charm and started trying to push deeper into the game).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My main problem enjoying noita is that the most effective and safest way to play is to be a coward and engage with as little of the mechanics as possible.

So i'm stuck in the niche of 'as long as i'm bored i'm totally safe, but if i do something more interesting or experiment then i could die and end the run'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I fully embrace the chaos of noita and run head first into everything. I've won once against the regular boss in about twenty hours, lol.