Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Similar story here in PA. Roads still salty as hell, but luckily it's gonna rain tonight then Sun + Mon will be 55f. Gonna get out as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We're getting rain the next couple of days to hose all the salt off the roads and it'll be 70 on Wednesday, then maybe snowing again on Friday. So I'm tempted but I don't know if I'll actually do it. Might be worth it tomorrow just to bike on New Year's Day once.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Worth it IMO. I got a (slightly salty) ride in on solstice day, followed by a cold and thorough bike cleaning session. Maybe it's just me being a newbie but I was jonesing pretty hard after a month of no riding, now it feels okay. Imma doit again if there's more weather windows combined with free time before spring.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in miserable rainy Oregon, but our temperatures are moderate and we don't use ice, so I ride a couple times a week still, rode in the rain yesterday but also it was above 50.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I went for a ride on Christmas and was going to stop and take a vanity picture of the bike. Right as I stopped someone had a single car crash into the woods across the street. I called 911 and paramedics took him to the hospital. That was enough excitement for that ride.

Today was much less eventful. Weather in the 40's, roads are a little wet from rain yesterday and there is a small amount of gravel around but not bad at all. The rebel's seat still sucks and my hands were getting cold so I was done after about an hour. I need to get better at going faster from a stop, I feel slow as hell. Tomorrow's weather is similar to today's so I get to work on that tomorrow.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'd say a controlled lumbering crawl from a stop takes more skill, and puts you in better stead on mucky roads, than the fast launch you're envisioning.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I need to finish building my sidecar rig so I can do some winter riding

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rusty posted:

I'm in miserable rainy Oregon, but our temperatures are moderate and we don't use ice, so I ride a couple times a week still, rode in the rain yesterday but also it was above 50.

Same, I've been commuting to Portland on my bike. Temps are mild enough

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I think all this “oh I need less salt to ride, I need no ice “ is WEAK!

(This is in all caps and conan esce ) Ride in the ice and snow safely with appropriate gear, studded tires and a light bike. The entire experience will made you a much better rider in regards to realising how much traction you actually have in non ice situations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

(This is in all caps and conan esce ) Ride in the ice and snow safely with appropriate gear, studded tires and a light bike. The entire experience will made you a much better rider in regards to realising how much traction you actually have in non ice situations.

You know they make snowmobiles, right?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Semi serious take. If you have the garage space riding safely and comfortably in the winter on iced and snowed roads is an exercise you need to invest for. All this is is focused on touring. Ie 3+ hour trips. I’m not talking a 30min loving around in the snow in your backyard.

On the bike Heated grips, studded tires, wind muffs. Electric outlet for heated visor.

On you: helmet with heated visor. This is a must have. Any prolonged riding in near freezing or below must have this.
Crash protection in mx gear. Knee, hip, back. Shoulder, elbow. Wool onesie below crash gear.Snow mobile onesie or bib + jacket for warmth.

The colour range is sadly not in the broad spectrum MX range but you can look like a semi deranged oil field worker

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Here in Norway those are actually super legislated. To actually have and use one in practice you are a rescue volunteer via the Red Cross in a super specific area or mountain rescues or a rein deer hearder that can follow and tend your flock. Leisure snowmobiles are in practice banned here.

Motorised travel on non roads on land are in general totally locked down.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 1, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I had a lot of money I'd get a dirt bike and one of those track kits, those look fun as hell

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

Here in Norway those are actually super legislated. To actually have and use one in practice you are a rescue volunteer via the Red Cross in a super specific area or mountain rescues or a rein deer hearder that can follow and tend your flock. Leisure snowmobiles are in practice banned here.

Wow, that's hosed up! What a weird thing to ban. In Canada you can even drive them on the road in town once you get far enough out of the city. Like, they're a legit method of winter transport here, in addition to being a primarily leisure vehicle.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Supradog posted:

What's the reasoning? Emissions?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm super surprised at that. Around me, they're tolerated more than dirt bikes and ATVs.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It’s a combination of factors. We have the law of free use and travel of the land (allemannsretten). This right enables you to go anywhere in utmark.(direct translation out fields) unless travel is actually dangerous, ie a shooting range, or it actively harms the owner( a field with plants growing on it). Innmark(gardens, near houses etc ) are private. An owner of a forest can’t stop you from walking in that forest.

Based on this the law you can go anywhere in the wilds, but not chop down trees, or permanently harm the area. You can pick berries and wild mushrooms as you want as those are seasonal and expirable. Dead wood can be used to make a fire if there is no seasonal fire ban or you are not in an actual national park.

But, even if you own a forest you can’t brapp around on dirt bikes, atvs or snowmobiles as you please. You can drive on logging roads etc, but not out in the woods themselves. You can make an mx track, and permanent training facilities but that’s subject to your county’s local regulations.

Scaring the wildlife (in the winter when they already are weak), damaging the fields and forests and noise is the main factors. There is a lot of illegal snowmobile riding in some areas. In northern Norway in particular, but there is also where most people with actual right to use them live.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Invalido posted:

Worth it IMO. I got a (slightly salty) ride in on solstice day, followed by a cold and thorough bike cleaning session. Maybe it's just me being a newbie but I was jonesing pretty hard after a month of no riding, now it feels okay. Imma doit again if there's more weather windows combined with free time before spring.

I've been riding motorcycles for about 11 years now and still, if I go more than 40 days without riding I fear I may die.

Finger Prince posted:

It appears to me that is a snowmobile.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supradog posted:

Semi serious take. If you have the garage space riding safely and comfortably in the winter on iced and snowed roads is an exercise you need to invest for. All this is is focused on touring. Ie 3+ hour trips. I’m not talking a 30min loving around in the snow in your backyard.

On the bike Heated grips, studded tires, wind muffs. Electric outlet for heated visor.

On you: helmet with heated visor. This is a must have. Any prolonged riding in near freezing or below must have this.
Crash protection in mx gear. Knee, hip, back. Shoulder, elbow. Wool onesie below crash gear.Snow mobile onesie or bib + jacket for warmth.

The colour range is sadly not in the broad spectrum MX range but you can look like a semi deranged oil field worker

I absolutely would have an extra cheapo “salt bike” if studded tires weren’t banned here.

quote:

Metal studs are prohibited in 11 states: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin (some of these states allow tires with rubber studs; Maryland allows studs only in certain counties).

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 1, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Strife posted:

I've been riding motorcycles for about 11 years now and still, if I go more than 40 days without riding I fear I may die.
I don't know if this is good or bad information honestly.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

an extra cheapo “salt bike”
This might have to be the solution. Road conditions where I live are very rarely real snow/ice conditions where aggressive ice tires would shine, but something light and cheap with wheel dimensions where road studded tires are available is maybe in my future. Maybe.

Supradog posted:

helmet with heated visor. This is a must have. Any prolonged riding in near freezing or below must have this.
I can believe it. Riding near freezing it's a constant struggle to keep my normal pin lock visor from fogging up. The double pane ski goggles I wear for winter e-biking work much better in this regard but I sometimes still have to watch my exhalation to keep fog away from the outside.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I absolutely would have an extra cheapo “salt bike” if studded tires weren’t banned here.

Can you just get studded tires anyway? Or like shops won’t mount them?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure you could buy studded tires. I’m positive a shop would mount them if you just said you were going ice racing, which is very popular in WI.

It’s that if you get pulled over with them you get a ticket.

And riding a motorcycle on icy streets is a sure fire way to stand out to the police

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Strife posted:

I've been driving for the last two months because there's no time to diagnose and repair this weird backfire issue I'm having, and already I can feel my brain changing

it's awful

send help

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you only need stud tyres for ice, make sure you stick to fresh snow and regular wet tyres are fine*

*for a given value of fine**

**ride like a grandma and you probably won't fall over

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 1, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supradog posted:

It's not traction I'm worried about, I just don't want my bike to collapse into a mound of oxide in the spring.

It was warm enough but from a walk around the neighborhood the roads are still crusted white so instead of riding I did the oil change I couldn't sneak in before it got uncomfortably cold when I laid the bike up. My first one, no leaks afterwards and no broken bolts or horrible mess, though of course I did this after I dumped recycling so I have to power through a 2-liter of Coke Zero in the next day or two so I can take the old oil for disposal.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Put in about 150 miles on the 919 with some discord buds today. A little cloudier than expected so some of the roads were wet, but still a nice winter treat. Hope to do the same tomorrow.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Planning a July road trip from my parent's place up in Sandpoint ID. Was thinking of a ~7 day route in Canada.

Anyone have recommendations? Pavement only and bonus points if it includes a super scenic ferry ride.

Random photo of my bike:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dema posted:

Planning a July road trip from my parent's place up in Sandpoint ID. Was thinking of a ~7 day route in Canada.

Anyone have recommendations? Pavement only and bonus points if it includes a super scenic ferry ride.

Random photo of my bike:

Are you thinking of camping or hotel/motel?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hotels. Credit card touring. And preference for staying in small towns.

Doesn’t need to be a full route. Any must see towns or must ride roads would also be super valuable. Just looking at Google Maps, I’m assuming I want to stick with, roughly, Banff and west from there.

Been stressful and dreary here the last few days. Need something to look forward to.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dema posted:

Hotels. Credit card touring. And preference for staying in small towns.

Doesn’t need to be a full route. Any must see towns or must ride roads would also be super valuable. Just looking at Google Maps, I’m assuming I want to stick with, roughly, Banff and west from there.

Been stressful and dreary here the last few days. Need something to look forward to.

From Sandpoint, here's what I'd do:
Day 1: cross the border at Rykerts (or kingsgate) and head to Creston. Then head up the 3a from Creston, take the ferry across to Balfour, head to Nelson and stay the night.
Day 2: do a loop up to New Denver, across the 31a to Kaslo, back down to Balfour and back to Nelson. Rinse and repeat any part of the loop you have time for. Stay the night in Nelson again.
Day 3: Head West up to Nakusp, South to Fauquier, take the ferry and continue to Vernon. Depending on how your rear end feels, you could either stay in Vernon or head up to Salmon Arm via Yankee flats and stay in Salmon Arm.
Day 4: head along the 1 through Revelstoke to Golden, then depending on how you feel, spend some time Golden, or ride down to Radium either via Lake Louise for a longer, windier route, or straight down via the 95. Depending on level of luxury you want you could stay in Radium or even Fairmont hot springs. Have a good long soak in the hot springs. You could maybe split this into 2 days.
Day 5/6: the 95 south isn't the most exciting road, but it's neat with beautiful views of the Columbia River valley. Now you have a choice just before Cranbrook. Either head back west of you want to re-do anything from the early part of the trip and cross the border back where you started, or head east toward Fernie, head south at Elko and cross into Montana and make your way back to Sandpoint that way.

All of the above can be more or less mix and match together however long your endurance can take you. But the major points where you'll want to both ride through and stay the night are Nelson, 31a, 6 between Vernon and Fauquier, Revelstoke, Golden/Radium and all the amazing roads that link those places together.
And just keep your fingers crossed the whole place isn't on fire. Also let me know when you to and I might join you on a leg.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

From Sandpoint, here's what I'd do:
Day 1: cross the border at Rykerts (or kingsgate) and head to Creston. Then head up the 3a from Creston, take the ferry across to Balfour, head to Nelson and stay the night.
Day 2: do a loop up to New Denver, across the 31a to Kaslo, back down to Balfour and back to Nelson. Rinse and repeat any part of the loop you have time for. Stay the night in Nelson again.
Day 3: Head West up to Nakusp, South to Fauquier, take the ferry and continue to Vernon. Depending on how your rear end feels, you could either stay in Vernon or head up to Salmon Arm via Yankee flats and stay in Salmon Arm.
Day 4: head along the 1 through Revelstoke to Golden, then depending on how you feel, spend some time Golden, or ride down to Radium either via Lake Louise for a longer, windier route, or straight down via the 95. Depending on level of luxury you want you could stay in Radium or even Fairmont hot springs. Have a good long soak in the hot springs. You could maybe split this into 2 days.
Day 5/6: the 95 south isn't the most exciting road, but it's neat with beautiful views of the Columbia River valley. Now you have a choice just before Cranbrook. Either head back west of you want to re-do anything from the early part of the trip and cross the border back where you started, or head east toward Fernie, head south at Elko and cross into Montana and make your way back to Sandpoint that way.

All of the above can be more or less mix and match together however long your endurance can take you. But the major points where you'll want to both ride through and stay the night are Nelson, 31a, 6 between Vernon and Fauquier, Revelstoke, Golden/Radium and all the amazing roads that link those places together.
And just keep your fingers crossed the whole place isn't on fire. Also let me know when you to and I might join you on a leg.

I go riding out in the Kootenays for an overnight at least once a year, though I like to camp in the provincial parks. There's not really a lot I can add to this, other than

• if you find yourself in Radium with time to kill, the road up from Invermere to Panorama ski resort is gorgeous and full of tight little turns
  • my brother keeps trying to get me to do Westside Road from Vernon down to Kelowna
  • Area 27 racetrack between Penticton and Osoyoos looks like a hoot
  • There's an awesome motorcycle museum in Salmon Arm that I keep meaning to get to

The further west you get the less relevant my memory is. I remember highway 8 from Merritt to the Trans Canada being a lot of fun, and there's great riding on the Island too if you get out that far (and the weather stays clear. Riding out to Tofino under blue sky was one of the highlights of my life, riding back with the rain chasing me all the way across BC and into the mountains was miserable :D)

But essentially hit at least the 3A from Creston, the 31A between Kaslo/New Denver, and the 6 into Vernon, and you won't go home disappointed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

I go riding out in the Kootenays for an overnight at least once a year, though I like to camp in the provincial parks. There's not really a lot I can add to this, other than

• if you find yourself in Radium with time to kill, the road up from Invermere to Panorama ski resort is gorgeous and full of tight little turns
  • my brother keeps trying to get me to do Westside Road from Vernon down to Kelowna
  • Area 27 racetrack between Penticton and Osoyoos looks like a hoot
  • There's an awesome motorcycle museum in Salmon Arm that I keep meaning to get to

The further west you get the less relevant my memory is. I remember highway 8 from Merritt to the Trans Canada being a lot of fun, and there's great riding on the Island too if you get out that far (and the weather stays clear. Riding out to Tofino under blue sky was one of the highlights of my life, riding back with the rain chasing me all the way across BC and into the mountains was miserable :D)

But essentially hit at least the 3A from Creston, the 31A between Kaslo/New Denver, and the 6 into Vernon, and you won't go home disappointed.

Excellent additions. I have been to that motorcycle museum and its definitely worth the visit if you're up that way. I've only driven to Panorama once, in a minivan full of drunk friends, in the winter, and even then it was such a fun road. I forgot about that, I should make a point of heading up there next time I'm riding out that way.
Also if you've got a few hours to spend around Revelstoke, the 23 up to Mica Creek and back is brilliant, freshly paved a couple of years ago, and full of fast sweepers and beautiful scenery.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Awesome information Finger Prince & Phy! Looking at some of that stuff on the maps and it all seems fantastic. Thank you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Happy to help! I love riding in the Kootenays and I hope you enjoy it just as much. Finger Prince, I'll def have to check out the 23.

One small QoL thing: check the ferry schedules and try and time yourself so you're not waiting too long. The Balfour ferry can be a long wait if you just miss it and they're only running the one boat. And if you do find yourself waiting on the Balfour side (not the Kootenay Bay side), don't bother eating at the little cafe by the ferry dock. The staff is nice but the food is lousy. There's a kitchen on the boat as well, and it's a lot better. Plus you get to eat on a boat, which at least for a landlocked Alberta boy is always a treat.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Found this on a FB group. I ...

what?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What in the name of meth

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Hank Hillcycle