Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Hmm yeah think I should probably change that tire pretty soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nonsense there's at least 3mm worth of brake pad left

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Sphyre posted:

Been doing a bit of structured training on zwift lately and as a result i've been feeling naked without power information on my outdoor rides. I currently run spd pedals and have been tossing up between getting a crank arm power meter and sticking with spd pedals OR going with some Favero Assiomas and switching to road cleats and shoes. I've also been ruminating on picking up some new shoes as well so the whole 'need new shoes' thing isn't really a barrier. If you have any input feel free to pound off in the comments below
It is possible to swap the powermeter parts of assiomas over to SPD's. https://youtu.be/ybAFIhKahnM
On the other hand I bought a secondhand Stages around 3 years ago and it's been fine.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 26, 2022

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

mikemelbrooks posted:

It is possible to swap the powermeter parts of assiomas over to SPD's. https://youtu.be/ybAFIhKahnM

I might try doing this with mine if I really get the gravel bug.

Heliosicle posted:

So if I were to get a bike with XPLR (found an Aspero with it for 22% off that I definitely couldn't build for cheaper), I could just put a 44t chainring on and a 10-36 in the back and I'd have pretty much all the range I need for >95% of my outdoor rides.

I ended up buying the Aspero as it got reduced even more. Then spent yesterday wondering if I made the right choice because it's not exactly what I was after. I think it definitely is in terms of the frame (other than I'd prefer if it had mudguard mounts (that's what the trainer/MTB is for though)), it's mainly the stock gearing that will need changing for the flatlands. On the other hand, it's no fun if the bike is perfect and there's nothing to upgrade over time.

I'll probably sell my TCR since I don't really have space for both. The geometry is very similar so it should be able to take over as a road bike too in any case.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
congrats on the new bike! photos in the other thread soon?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Thanks! For sure once it's set up. I will forewarn you though that it's just plain black and not the fabulous purple chameleon job

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

it's just plain black and not the fabulous purple chameleon job

:mods:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's on Zwift, strava just gets confused and lays it over the Solomon Islands

There’s no confusion, that’s just the made up GPS coordinates that Zwift generates.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

F500 Day Three, heavy legs and a hangover

Very nice ride up the canal path before some decent lumps and then a flat return

Plan was to get in at least 250 before I'm back in work tomorrow so going well

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I got these today. They fit perfectly on the regular 107bcd spider, but do not fit the power meter spider. The rings have around 2.8mm of clearance between the chainring bolt hole and a raised portion, while the PM spider has about 3.3mm of material, so the rings won’t drop down on the spider. We’ll see what Croder says.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Pretty much all of my cycling electronics have failed, granted they are all around 5 years old.

Garmin 510, battery lasts only 4 hours and more pixels keep going bad on the display.

Garmin HR strap no longer works.

Pioneer left side PM, well the electronics work but the DA crank arm broke.

Time to buy myself the Xmas presents that nobody got for me.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
just did my first 20+ mile ride, ever!

my junk has never felt as bad as it does right now.

any goons with selle smp saddles want to tell me why i shouldn't invest in one right this second?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

w4ddl3d33 posted:

any goons with selle smp saddles want to tell me why i shouldn't invest in one right this second?

It could also be that your seat is too high or angled poorly. Plus you might just need some more time in the saddle to toughen up. If any of the above is true and you buy a new saddle, you'll have the same problems but be $200 poorer.

If I were you, I'd try experimenting with the saddle you have first, but the best thing to do would be to get a bike fit. If you really want to get into longer rides, now's the best time to do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also get padded shorts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

w4ddl3d33 posted:

There’s a narrow range of widths, but it would still behoove you to try to figure out if you should have ride it narrow. I use the SMP Trek for my upright bike, and the padding is generous but doesn’t cut off circulation to my legs. The Trek is also a lot cheaper than the sport models.

The one minor downside with the dropped nose of SMPs is that they more easily hook your pants when you’re going from standing back to seated in the saddle. More of a problem for bike shorts than jeans.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If that's your first 20mi ride it's is very normal to feel sore, your seat might be perfectly fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If it’s been linear in terms of severity of pain for shorter rides, and you’ve been doing plenty of 30min rides, definitely should keep investigating fit and saddle.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Show us a profile photo of your bike. No funny angles, try to use a decently long focal length.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
How do you guys go about buying new bike shoes? I’ve used REI’s ‘trial policy’ to at least try new shoes for 20-30 miles and ended up with a slightly larger but comfy Shimano XC1 for my troll feet. I want to invest in some good Lake shoes or similar but I also don’t have a good LBS near me. Any retailers to consider w/ a similar good return policy like REI?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If anyone wants a pair of 2-bolt wide Lake 44.5s, I’ll sell mine. Went full custom and am happy with those. The Lakes are pretty good for my width and arguably easier to walk around on.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Is there a geometry calculator where I can include seatpost length? My TCR has a seat tube angle of 73 degrees, and I have it setup with 15mm setback. New bike has a seat tube angle of 73.5 degrees and comes with a 0 offset post. I'm pretty sure to achieve the same position relative to the BB I need to swap that for one with at least 20mm. With a seat tube length of 470/540mm (TCR/Aspero), and I guess about 25cm of post showing on the TCR.

E: yeah did the maths and with those numbers there's a minimum difference of 1.2cm in position relative to the BB with the 0 offset post on the new bike. With the 20mm offset I'd be in pretty much exactly the same position (if I get the saddle height right)

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 29, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

Is there a geometry calculator where I can include seatpost length? My TCR has a seat tube angle of 73 degrees, and I have it setup with 15mm setback. New bike has a seat tube angle of 73.5 degrees and comes with a 0 offset post. I'm pretty sure to achieve the same position relative to the BB I need to swap that for one with at least 20mm. With a seat tube length of 470/540mm (TCR/Aspero), and I guess about 25cm of post showing on the TCR.

E: yeah did the maths and with those numbers there's a minimum difference of 1.2cm in position relative to the BB with the 0 offset post on the new bike. With the 20mm offset I'd be in pretty much exactly the same position (if I get the saddle height right)

https://www.bike-stats.de/en/geometrie_vergleich

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Nice, thanks! I was using bike insights but couldn't configure it enough.

Looks like my sums were about right and I need a setback seat post

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

adnam posted:

How do you guys go about buying new bike shoes? I’ve used REI’s ‘trial policy’ to at least try new shoes for 20-30 miles and ended up with a slightly larger but comfy Shimano XC1 for my troll feet. I want to invest in some good Lake shoes or similar but I also don’t have a good LBS near me. Any retailers to consider w/ a similar good return policy like REI?

Backcountry has been reasonable for me about return policy on shoes, as has bikeshoes.com

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If anyone needs a 1x10, BB5, QR hubbed fat bike for $630 shipped, use code DOORBUSTER15

https://www.framedbikes.com/products/minnesota-fat-27

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

If anyone needs a 1x10, BB5, QR hubbed fat bike for $630 shipped, use code DOORBUSTER15

https://www.framedbikes.com/products/minnesota-fat-27

how do I order something like this and size it appropriately for me / my riding partner by comparing it to a bike I already own?

I keep seeing deals like this pop up on bikes and I don't feel comfortable ordering them because I don't have that LBS guy who knows what fits me.

a winter bike that cheap is insanely appealing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Got caught up in word filter gate but if anyone cares i finished off the F500. The last five days I was working every evening till late so lots of shorter morning rides and an afternoon nap was the plan
Days four to eight

Was planning a much longer ride for that ^ one but had to turn back as there was so much flooding

The weather was utterly wretched for the whole week

Only took one picture apparently

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So.

I fell off the wagon earlier this year till around mid-July, in which I got a job I could commute to via bike, again. Roughly 10 miles each way. Ended up setting a goal of 3000 miles for the year.

Got it today :getin:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i’ve been doing a fair bit of research and have come to the conclusion that bikes are in fact good

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got owned by ice storm and then sick right after christmas so there hasn't been any riding the past 2 weeks

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
As is tradition, I went away for a couple days over Christmas, then weather (a foot of snow) knocked out the rest of the week. One day, f500, one day.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
here's my ride. now tell me why my weenie hurts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

One day f500.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

w4ddl3d33 posted:

your saddle is pointing towards the sky

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

your saddle is too low and being jammed directly into your taint

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Ouch your saddle is probably a little low, check the height. Sit on the saddle, heel on the pedal at the bottom of stroke furthest from the saddle - you leg should be straight.

But mainly the tilt, it should not be tilted back at all, go for roughly level. Fix that first.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

w4ddl3d33 posted:

That saddle height has strong "want to touch the ground from my saddle with flat feet" energy, too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hey

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

sweat poteto posted:

One day, f500, one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

sweat poteto posted:

One day, f500, one day.

I'm going to make sure I have a bike with me for me next (this!) year and at least give it a go for the first time

:catstare: