Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

zachol posted:

lovely programs that are fussy about reinstalling/reusing a license key or just a hassle to get all settings exactly right again?
Because if someone has a bulletproof solution to that where you can otherwise do a fresh install I'd love to hear it.

There is none. It's drudgery, although rounding up lic info from the old can be aided with software like Belarc et all.

Edit: lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WonkyBob posted:

Any recommended methods for transferring a Win 10 user profile to a Win 11 machine?

Clone HD to target HD, make sure before you do this the HD controller in device manager is generic ACHI driver (just to make sure). Then boot new machine, ignoring any driver things, then upgrade-install Windows 11 while booted. Presto!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Every setting I cared about conveniently ported over to a fresh install once I embraced the dark side and finally made a Microsoft account.

My watch has ended.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Every setting I cared about conveniently ported over to a fresh install once I embraced the dark side and finally made a Microsoft account.

My watch has ended.

What if I want to forget all my settings and start fresh with my MS account without bringing over years of cruft and wallpapers from my old Windows installs? Is there a way for me to do that?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

What if I want to forget all my settings and start fresh with my MS account without bringing over years of cruft and wallpapers from my old Windows installs? Is there a way for me to do that?

1. On the old PC, turn off "Sync your settings" (win10) or "Windows backup" preferences (win11).
2. Go to account.microsoft.com/devices and clear stored settings.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
as of the latest update, explorer is resetting my folder view to grouping by date created. if I change it to remove the grouping and then click the "apply to all folders" button in folder options, as soon as I click OK it immediately resets to grouped by date created.

is there any way to get this poo poo to stop happening lol grouping sucks

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Klyith posted:

1. On the old PC, turn off "Sync your settings" (win10) or "Windows backup" preferences (win11).
2. Go to account.microsoft.com/devices and clear stored settings.

Thank you!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Win 11 upgrade isn't showing up for a PC I just put together. I'm on Win 10. I did the "health check" to make sure, and it passed everything (so TPM is on).

Have they still not finished rolling it out to every PC?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The Win 11 upgrade isn't showing up for a PC I just put together. I'm on Win 10. I did the "health check" to make sure, and it passed everything (so TPM is on).

Have they still not finished rolling it out to every PC?

You don't have to wait, there's an installer that does the same thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used the Subsystem for Android? Is there a way to pass through USB devices?

I'm trying to get the DJI Go app to work on my PC, it launches but doesn't detect the attached controller (it does show up in Windows after installing drivers).

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone used the Subsystem for Android? Is there a way to pass through USB devices?

last I checked hardware access isn't enabled or implemented for WSA yet. it took them a while to get it for WSL so I imagine they're taking their sweet time with it

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

barnold posted:

as of the latest update, explorer is resetting my folder view to grouping by date created. if I change it to remove the grouping and then click the "apply to all folders" button in folder options, as soon as I click OK it immediately resets to grouped by date created.

is there any way to get this poo poo to stop happening lol grouping sucks

Yeah same lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
if windows starts constantly resetting / messing up folder views, it's best to just hit the "reset folders" button because nothing else works

something about how windows stores view settings for individual folders can get hosed up, and it just gets worse

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How robust is Windows Subsystem for Android? Can you use it as a Bluestacks replacement for playing Android games, or is it mainly just a developer tool?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How robust is Windows Subsystem for Android? Can you use it as a Bluestacks replacement for playing Android games, or is it mainly just a developer tool?

Games run like buttass in it, Neural Cloud was unplayable. Google's own solution works better but has a very limited selection (and I don't know if you can sideload). Better to stick with BS/LDplayer for now.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Anyone know of a program that can force lock the mouse to a given application when it's in the foreground/selected? Either automatically or via a keyboard combination.

I was using Dual Monitor Tools for this previously after getting it recommended here IIRC, but now I have one giant monitor instead of two on my desk and need a different solution.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just found out that the default audio enhancements in the Realtek driver actually break Dolby Atmos for Headphones. >:[

(Disable these, if you use Realtek audio and Dolby Atmos for Headphones.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still not getting provided the 22h2 update, so I decided to try installing from the ISO. Unfortunately, it only had the option to keep my files; the one to keep files and apps was grayed out. Is there anything I can do to get this stupid update?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you have a dynamic disk as your system drive? I do, and that seems to be causing a problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have no idea what a dynamic disc is. So... maybe? Windows is installed on an NVME drive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I'm still not getting provided the 22h2 update, so I decided to try installing from the ISO. Unfortunately, it only had the option to keep my files; the one to keep files and apps was grayed out. Is there anything I can do to get this stupid update?

This is speculation on my part, but it took forever for my HP 2-in-1 to get the 22H2 update, and knowing that Microsoft does staggered releases I wonder if some of that staggering is waiting on drivers and firmware to get updated to be able to run it properly. My HP has some odd-ish proprietary hardware, so having it be down list for releases makes sense to me. I'd rather wait and be more confident my hardware is properly supported than force an install early and beat my against a wall while waiting for Realtek to update their rube goldberg drivers to make my wireless work right.

I could be totally wrong, but that's kind of what I suspect might be a factor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hooah posted:

I have no idea what a dynamic disc is. So... maybe? Windows is installed on an NVME drive.

check disk manager

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/basic-and-dynamic-disks

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nope, they're all basic disks.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is speculation on my part, but it took forever for my HP 2-in-1 to get the 22H2 update, and knowing that Microsoft does staggered releases I wonder if some of that staggering is waiting on drivers and firmware to get updated to be able to run it properly. My HP has some odd-ish proprietary hardware, so having it be down list for releases makes sense to me. I'd rather wait and be more confident my hardware is properly supported than force an install early and beat my against a wall while waiting for Realtek to update their rube goldberg drivers to make my wireless work right.

I could be totally wrong, but that's kind of what I suspect might be a factor.

Well the weirdest (maybe) thing is that neither my desktop nor our family's laptop has received the update. I built the desktop, and the laptop is a Lenovo Flex 5 14. They're different enough (but neither terribly old) that it's surprising that they're both stuck on 22h1 (or 21h2, whatever is the one before 22h2).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

hooah posted:

Nope, they're all basic disks.

Well the weirdest (maybe) thing is that neither my desktop nor our family's laptop has received the update. I built the desktop, and the laptop is a Lenovo Flex 5 14. They're different enough (but neither terribly old) that it's surprising that they're both stuck on 22h1 (or 21h2, whatever is the one before 22h2).

I do know a 12th gen Intel i7 had to wait a few weeks to get offered the upgrade for some kind of rollout reasons so who knows.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Szmitten posted:

I do know a 12th gen Intel i7 had to wait a few weeks to get offered the upgrade for some kind of rollout reasons so who knows.

Maybe it's something like that. The desktop has a Ryzen 2600, the laptop has some newer mobile Ryzen (bought it late in 2020).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

hooah posted:

Maybe it's something like that. The desktop has a Ryzen 2600, the laptop has some newer mobile Ryzen (bought it late in 2020).

Well I also am aware that there have been significant AMD issues still getting fixed so I would bet that it's a very known issue and it's trying to not upgrade into another problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Szmitten posted:

Well I also am aware that there have been significant AMD issues still getting fixed so I would bet that it's a very known issue and it's trying to not upgrade into another problem.

I'd heard about those a bit, but I thought they were for newer AMD chips. Some quick searching does seem to indicate that it's only newer chips like the 7000 series. I did check Microsoft's page about known issues, and neither AMD nor Ryzen are mentioned.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my partner has a Ryzen 5 3600x cpu and I believe it’s supported by windows 11 but windows tells her it can’t be updated yet :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Last Chance posted:

my partner has a Ryzen 5 3600x cpu and I believe it’s supported by windows 11 but windows tells her it can’t be updated yet :shrug:

She might need to change some BIOS settings. Windows 11 wants TPM and secure boot turned on, for instance.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So, my file explorer has tabs now.

Is there some "confirm to close" option hidden somewhere so I won't accidentally close 7 tabs at the same time?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Slow down there cowboy, you think they thought out a new feature to it's logical conclusion? Welcome to hell bucko

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What the hell is wrong with this dumb OS? I'm about to head to bed, and the thing insists on running the update on shutdown. So I hit Update and Restart*, and log back in after it's done it's shtick. There's another mandatory update.

*: Last time I tried Update and Shutdown, the thing updated and booted back to the login screen and just sat there. gg Microsoft.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

*: Last time I tried Update and Shutdown, the thing updated and booted back to the login screen and just sat there. gg Microsoft.

Same, it does that every second time I do update and shutdown. It's so annoying since I do that when I'm going to bed so I have to get up again to shut down my pc properly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are you guys on the insider ring or something? I'm just on the regular consumer schedule, and I check for updates almost every day (still hoping for that 22h2 update!), and I only get maybe one update a week, and that's usually just definitions for Defender.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is there seriously no way to ungroup items on the taskbar anymore without 3rd-party software?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is there seriously no way to ungroup items on the taskbar anymore without 3rd-party software?

Windows 11 was made for small dual screen portable netbooks. With a single window per screen.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You didn't really expect Windows to get better, did you? It's been downhill for years on the GUI front. It's a huge deal breaker for me, too. I've been ungrouping that poo poo since XP. I want labels and no grouping. It's simply way more productive.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

Windows 11 was made for small dual screen portable netbooks. With a single window per screen.

Also, mice were deemed too complex, so it's now Touch Screens only.

I think Windows UX probably peaked somewhere between Win 7 and XP (Not Vista...), and it's not like it was particularly amazing in either iteration, but more that it's never been outstanding, and it's only gotten worse since.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There isn’t. They’ve said that it’ll probably come so I’d expect it in 2026 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good image duplicate finder? There seem to be quite a few out there.