Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It's an old school party based real-time with pause cRPG, pretty rules heavy and unforgiving. The type of game where initially you are getting wrecked left right and center. Instant party wipes and bullshit encounters are very common. I've given up with it a few times now due to how frustrating some of the mechanics are.

Anyway after many hours of this game being stingy with interesting loot and making you eke out every fight, it throws you a bone with this absolutely absurd bow with an absolutely killer name Devourer of Metal. And to add to the satisfaction, the game conveniently gives you the perfect character to use it just prior to obtaining it. Oh and the area you find it is full of trolls that are exceptionally weak to it.

It's almost like the developer said "sorry, we know it's been a slog. Here have this guy and this bow. Please obliterate everything for the next 5 hours".

Part of me feels like it's overpowered as this one bow seems to be carrying my entire team. But drat if it's not a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of open world stuff, I'm playing Ghostwire Tokyo at the moment, and its definitely an open-world-rear end game. Side missions, stuff to collect, random events, the whole shebang.

But I really like the setting. An emptied Shibuya is interesting enough, but theres just a lot of detail to it all that I really appreciate while going through the place, enough so that I enjoy just walking around and taking in the sights, though it's often disappointing when I can't walk up a narrow stairway or check out a building I can see inside of or something.

Makes me think of how often I'd do that in Yakuza, just idly wander around while learning the lay of the land.

It was a really good map. I like how the game slowly takes you to different parts of the city and they all have different vibes that change how you move around. The whole game really made up for its shortcomings with extremely good art and vibes end to end.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
IIRC one handy thing in Far Cry 6 was how they handled mission prompts. Fairly certain that when you were about to accept a mission from someone, you got taken to a screen where the npc is giving their schpiel, so you can just skip if you want or you can listen uninterrupted by the rest of the world doing things around you. Fairly certain that's how it was.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Monster Sanctuary is like a Pokemon Metroidvania with all the bullshit cut out.

You can tote around a shitload of monsters to swap in to your team and can sort them into quite a few categories.

A late-game monster Changeling will always be sorted in to the first group.

God I love this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

graybook posted:

IIRC one handy thing in Far Cry 6 was how they handled mission prompts. Fairly certain that when you were about to accept a mission from someone, you got taken to a screen where the npc is giving their schpiel, so you can just skip if you want or you can listen uninterrupted by the rest of the world doing things around you. Fairly certain that's how it was.

God I wish audio logs in games worked this way more often. Nearly every video game with them will hand you the log when you pick it up, but only allow it to be replayed from inside a menu you can't leave and return to gameplay. I want to listen to holotapes while I walk around looting things and looking at the environment, dang it!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Every game should be like MGSV and give a you a tape player to listen to both audio logs and the greatest hits of the '80s on as you run around doing stuff, also with external speakers in case you want the rest of the game world to listen with you too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The thing about MGSV is that your cassettes also get interrupted by one of the five voice lines that play when you spot a helicopter or Fulton a man.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Every game should be like MGSV and give a you a tape player to listen to both audio logs and the greatest hits of the '80s on as you run around doing stuff, also with external speakers in case you want the rest of the game world to listen with you too.

Honestly I preferred the iPod in MGS4, because it was just part of your inventory, so pausing the track was super quick instead of having you dive into menus like the MGS 5 walkman.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That'd be a nice change, I didn't play enough of 4 to remember anything about the audio controls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

The thing about MGSV is that your cassettes also get interrupted by one of the five voice lines that play when you spot a helicopter or Fulton a man.

Somewhat impressively, Death Stranding did not fix this... but DID add a little detail to make it natural?? When your team interrupts someone else who's already speaking they do a little 'ahem' even if it's themselves changing subject. I managed to catch it on video and was a little awed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1C50Iyihg

He said the first message again next time I approached this area.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A little thing, speaking of Death Stranding, is that every major character has their own ringtone when they call you to berate you for not doing a good enough job.

Dammit now I wanna play Death Stranding again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like that bit where they design ways for characters to get interrupted during a conversation and resume it later, but it does get pretty goofy sometimes. I just replayed PS4 Spider-Man and I like how all the conversations during gameplay are phone calls that hang up when you're interrupted, and Peter will call back later to say something like "Sorry, lost reception - anyway,...". But it is pretty funny when the interruptions happen too frequently, like hanging up on Miles five times in a row when he's calling to beg you for some spidey skill training. Take a hint, buddy :rolleyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish the game's advisors could be called whenever to receive random advice about things you've recently done, like MGS. Revolver Ocelot telling me about a black carrot and why it's black is not something I needed to know, but was happy to have Troy Baker tell me it turns out.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like that bit where they design ways for characters to get interrupted during a conversation and resume it later, but it does get pretty goofy sometimes. I just replayed PS4 Spider-Man and I like how all the conversations during gameplay are phone calls that hang up when you're interrupted, and Peter will call back later to say something like "Sorry, lost reception - anyway,...". But it is pretty funny when the interruptions happen too frequently, like hanging up on Miles five times in a row when he's calling to beg you for some spidey skill training. Take a hint, buddy :rolleyes:

Uncharted 4 was one of the major forerunners of this and it was hilarious to hop out of the jeep via the open roof in the middle of Sully and Sam telling us where to go. "We gotta use the winch to wrap around that tree and- HEY NATE WHERE ARE YOU GOIN'"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Dec 30, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned in here before a few times, but something neat about phone conversations in that game is they there are two takes for all or most of Spidey's side of the conversations. One version with more natural delivery for when you're just standing around and one where he sounds a little strained if the you're swinging around while the conversation is going.
Pretty sure it swaps between them in the same conversation too, so if you start swinging during a call, it will swap over to the exerted take.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
God of War has adopted this technology for talking on the boat. But what they haven't realized is 90% of the time when I get off the boat I'm just going to go get some treasure or something so I wish the characters would just continue their conversation, especially since the hubs in Ragnarok aren't that big so cleaning up in the end game is a lot of:

Kratos: "Tell me of Freyr."
Mimir: "Oh this one time Freyr hosed an elf-"
Kratos: "We shall discuss this later."

one simple puzzle later

Mimir: "So Freyr, was it? This one time Freyr hosed-"

one silent sweep of an already clear area later

Kratos: "We were discussing Freyr."
Mimir: "Ah right! This one time Freyr-"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

God of War has adopted this technology for talking on the boat. But what they haven't realized is 90% of the time when I get off the boat I'm just going to go get some treasure or something so I wish the characters would just continue their conversation, especially since the hubs in Ragnarok aren't that big so cleaning up in the end game is a lot of:

one simple puzzle later

Yeah, that was one where it annoyed me. A lot of the time the boat trips were so short that I was triggering that constantly. I want to hear some of those stories, but I also don't want to just sit there offshore doing nothing while I listen!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Veotax posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned in here before a few times, but something neat about phone conversations in that game is they there are two takes for all or most of Spidey's side of the conversations. One version with more natural delivery for when you're just standing around and one where he sounds a little strained if the you're swinging around while the conversation is going.
Pretty sure it swaps between them in the same conversation too, so if you start swinging during a call, it will swap over to the exerted take.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is great for this, people pick back up after interruptions with Arthur saying "now where were we?" and there's different delivery for conversations depending on whether someone is nearby or a little further away and it switches as you move

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

SkeletonHero posted:

one simple puzzle later

Stories are for the boat. :kratos:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RDR2 has one of the absolute funniest bugs relating to the system we're discussing triggering during a pivotal mission.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The events of Alan Wake and also Control wouldn't have happened had he not used AirBnb to book the cabin. It's not openly stated but it's not even a hard read to come up with

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sometimes you've just gotta make sure someone knows how you feel about them :shrug:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
LENNY

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZeusCannon posted:

(x) YLNYELELLL??

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The weirdest compliment I've ever given to a game: The official localization of the Great Ace Attorney games (the prequels set in Victorian England) are really good at finding extremely archaic words that are completely innocent (albeit often not very nice), but sound for all the world like they could be extremely racist. It's a very clever way to tell a story that's all about dealing with an extremely racist society in a way that still hits without actually upping their age rating.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Wasn't there a glitch in RDR1 where Herbert Moon would start his dialog whenever you were nearby, even in the middle of racing a horse?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

The weirdest compliment I've ever given to a game: The official localization of the Great Ace Attorney games (the prequels set in Victorian England) are really good at finding extremely archaic words that are completely innocent (albeit often not very nice), but sound for all the world like they could be extremely racist. It's a very clever way to tell a story that's all about dealing with an extremely racist society in a way that still hits without actually upping their age rating.

Lol The Surge 2 has a fantastic audio log like this. Two neighbors in a retro-style community atop a battle cruiser for rich trash are talking about their neighbor who's just gotten married.

This is just left completely hanging for however many hours it takes you to beat the thing. And then the final reveal of the DLC is that this neighbor is the main questgiver's husband, who is the world's most generic white man... because he's a template robot and THAT'S what they meant. :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Dec 31, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the collectable poems in God of War: Ragnarok - they are all summarising other videogames in a parodic way, with titles making fun of the game's title, like the one for The Last of Us 2 has a title that's like "The Final People, The Second One"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The dogs in Caelid are S-tier hosed up little guys. If they see you, their first move is to dive at you mouth-first and drag their open maw sideways along the ground until they can bite you.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, I only turned the difficulty down in God of War 2 because of that annoying gimmick room where you push the statue past the constant enemy barrage and fire walls that keep pushing it back. That room wasn't giving me trouble due to the combat difficulty, it was just a stupid room that I wanted to be done with, and then I was stuck on easy for the rest of the game.

I've bitched about this in this thread before but in the original GOW I played through on the hardest difficulty until the second to last stage where I hosed up some platforming segment enough that the 'lower the difficulty? ' popup appeared and I accidentally accepted it. Made the final boss fight a joke

In the 2018 GOW I started out on the highest difficulty, and it was a miserable experience- I was getting destroyed by the draugrs so bad that i would spend like 20 minutes hiding around a corner and just spamming the axe attack. I ended up dropping the game and only played through it once the PC port came out. And evev on the regular difficulty I still used a trainer to deal with some of the valkyrie fights

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Philippe posted:

The dogs in Caelid are S-tier hosed up little guys. If they see you, their first move is to dive at you mouth-first and drag their open maw sideways along the ground until they can bite you.

The dogs and crows together make up something I loving hate but also love: the giant dogs are super susceptible to being posture broken by guard counters, so your natural assumption is to try it on the giant crows too…who make the “posture broken” sound, pose as though off balance, and immediately do a grab after you swing thinking you’ll do a critical hit, because they’re just mimicking the posture break sound to set you up for a kill.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm so glad I accepted I am Bad a long time ago and will comfortably and confidently select "Easy" or "Story" in the difficulty settings :agesilaus:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Biplane posted:

I'm so glad I accepted I am Bad a long time ago and will comfortably and confidently select "Easy" or "Story" in the difficulty settings :agesilaus:

Easy mode is a great way to play bideojames! I wish the souls games had a difficulty slider (or adaptive difficulty like RE4), but ahwell. If you're on PC I can recommend a good mod, because I am also Bad at Video Games.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Last Celebration posted:

The dogs and crows together make up something I loving hate but also love: the giant dogs are super susceptible to being posture broken by guard counters, so your natural assumption is to try it on the giant crows too…who make the “posture broken” sound, pose as though off balance, and immediately do a grab after you swing thinking you’ll do a critical hit, because they’re just mimicking the posture break sound to set you up for a kill.

Ahhh hahaha I never noticed that. What a great detail.
The first crow I encountered hosed up so fast that I avoided them all after.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

So to speak, be wary of mimic :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

People make fun of the Energizer batteries from Alan Wake but you name one other brand that can magically strengthen a flashlight to fight evil shadow monsters, you can't because there isn't one :colbert:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Len posted:

People make fun of the Energizer batteries from Alan Wake but you name one other brand that can magically strengthen a flashlight to fight evil shadow monsters, you can't because there isn't one :colbert:

Whatever battery type they used in the Obscure series seems to have worked :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Obscure 1 was so good then Obscure 2 just ruined some of the characters with bad overly edgy writing. Obscure 1's final boss made me feel things in a good way because he was a victim of his brother, turned into a weird photosensitive tree monster, then it breaks through the Gym and ends up in direct sunlight so the final phase of the fight is basically a mercy-killing as otherwise the sun would slowly burn him to death.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

I love the remaster but kind of miss the Verizon commercials.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Philippe posted:

James souls, creator of dark souls, was bitten a horrible dog once and hates them all beyond description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

sebmojo posted:

James souls, creator of dark souls, was bitten a horrible dog once and hates them all beyond description

he did however stumble into a swamp that miraculously healed him right after he was bitten