Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

And your skull is a paper wasps nest filled with snot for most intents and purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Mucus is shear thinning, so the pressure gradient from a shockwave is probably making things substantially more fluid

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

aphid_licker posted:

And your skull is a paper wasps nest filled with snot for most intents and purposes

Wow, rude.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

A friend from the reserves got to fire Carl Gs and said "it sucks the snot right out of your nose" and I've never understood the physics of that.

You've never shot at a bench next to someone shooting Elk Fucker 9000 rounds with a muzzle brake?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's the venturi suction effect, your noseholes are acting as a carburator jet and your sinuses are the fuel bowl.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

CainFortea posted:

You've never shot at a bench next to someone shooting Elk Fucker 9000 rounds with a muzzle brake?

I have, and it mainly felt like someone had opted to replace the clapper in a massive church bell with my skull.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
CS and recoilless rifles clear sinuses so well.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hang on, I'm getting an idea. Anybody have contact info for the Shark Tank people?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So does ammonia. Either the little medical snap caps, or the bottled poo poo for an extra wakey-wakey before a big lift.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Mzuri posted:

I've fired a lot of live 120mm mortar rounds at max load (? the most powder rings for biggest range), and my sinuses were cleared very well every time. Can't tell you the physics of it though.

Overpressure from big guns is a bitch. If you fire too many high charge missions out of a 155 in one day or are in the area of echo you can have skin sloughing off by the end of the day. You will also have tinnitus and a headache that never goes away.

aphid_licker posted:

that would explain the constant buzzing...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Steezo posted:

Overpressure from big guns is a bitch. If you fire too many high charge missions out of a 155 in one day or are in the area of echo you can have skin sloughing off by the end of the day. You will also have tinnitus and a headache that never goes away.

and the desire for random acts of violence near picnics.

...what?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

Or be well connected, like, really well connected. Lafayette comissioning in as a Major General at 19 has to still be some sort of record

He also had six years of experience by then, and seems to have known what was what. He showed up to his first battle with no command, but gained control of a disorderly retreat after being shot, and probably saved a lot of lives in the process. As soon as he recovered they gave him a command and he routed a superior force of jagers. Later on, his army is the one that blocked Cornwallis' retreat from Yorktown and pinned him while waiting for reinforcements.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 31, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Godholio posted:

He also had six years of experience by then, and seems to have known what was what. He showed up to his first battle with no command, but gained control of a disorderly retreat after being shot, and probably saved a lot of lives in the process. As soon as he recovered they gave him a command and he routed a superior force of jagers. Later on, his army is the one that blocked Cornwallis' retreat from Yorktown and pinned him while waiting for reinforcements.

That and he helped spearhead the diplomatic effort that gave the Americans the military and naval assistance they needed to decisively end the war. The dude earned every single one of those cities named after him.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Steezo posted:

Ive never heard the skin sloughing off or the eternal headache part and ive fired too many rounds in a day on more than one occaission

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

My Spirit Otter posted:

Ive never heard the skin sloughing off or the eternal headache part and ive fired too many rounds in a day on more than one occaission

You've probably never heard it because you stood too close to the guns.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder if part of the consideration of the USMC switching to more rocket arty was health reasons.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PookBear posted:

I wonder if part of the consideration of the USMC switching to more rocket arty was health reasons.

:lol:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

PookBear posted:

The rounds look more like crayons

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You've probably never heard it because you stood too close to the guns.

Guns of Icarus

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i mean how bad can rocket exhaust be

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Elemental mercury, if you’re :jeb:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

that scene where a crane drops bombs on tanks is going to become a feasible Ukrainian tactic

If you want to test the effect of a bomb on a vehicle, why would you give it a risk of missing by dropping it out of an aircraft?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

if i can't pronounce the name of a chemical it can't hurt me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Icon Of Sin posted:

mercury elemental

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

if i can't pronounce the name of a chemical it can't hurt me

Literally liquid mercury was looked at for missiles at one point. Not "mercury hexa-unpronouncable-ide", plain mercury.

They knew you could get a boost of engine thrust by squirting unreacted liquid out the back of the thing, the more mass the better. And being a metal, mercury is pretty dense. So yes, at one point the calculations were done for what performance improvement you'd get if your SAM pisses out actual liquid mercury as it flies.

Ignition! was a fun read :allears:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Monatomic mercury gas

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well there were those nazis that got dissolved by their rocket planes fuel

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I fail to see a downside here

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Fearless posted:

I fail to see a downside here

We rediscovered a lost ark that can do that way more efficiently

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"We're gonna need another Heinrich!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I never knew how much I wanted MATO (HgATO?) bottles strapped to airplanes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

I never knew how much I wanted MATO (HgATO?) bottles strapped to airplanes.

But they already have wings, just not on the wheels :dadjoke:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1609544368615997440

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus Christ

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If that's accurate, that lends credence to the claim that Russia has in fact been making the kind of over the top human wave attacks seen in WWI. Normally you'd need much larger formations (on the order of 1-2 million per side) to reach those kinds of casualty figures in a more mobile conflict.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Looks like they are using Ukrainian MoD numbers for that estimating ~100k KIA overall.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

Monatomic mercury gas

I stand corrected!

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

My Spirit Otter posted:

That parts more the "area of echo" part. Do not stand in front of a howitzer as it fires.

PookBear posted:

Range and the amount of personnel required to operate, mostly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I specifically don't find it that hard to believe that the kia/wia numbers are incredibly high in this war. I wouldn't claim to have any number in mind, but the scale and scope of this war has been incredibly destructive relative to any other war fought in the last couple of decades.

The 'human wave' stuff I think is a failure of translation/communication, albeit it seems to be talking more about the Ukrainian perception of fighting Russians in Bakhmut than, like, Korean war style human wave attacks as the words evoke to Americans. The most over the top claims about human wave attacks are all the product of English language pro-Ukraine messaging. Notably the evidence for massive human wave attacks is conveniently missing. In contrast, Ukrainians themselves in Bakhmut have said that they're facing basically endless small probing attacks, mostly at night, sometimes multiple times a day. Standard thing seems to be a smallish unit crawling as close as they possibly can get and fighting for a while before each side gets artillery involved. That seems to readily get described as 'waves of attacks,' which indeed seems to be a decent way of describing it, but it's in no way the 'lines of russians shambling across fields like zombies' as one particularly absurd pro-Ukraine post described it a couple of days ago. Notably there's abundant evidence of small Russian probing attacks, which are used to either contest or occasionally take smaller positions or simply to find currently occupied Ukrainian positions to shell. There's abundant evidence of them both succeeding and failing.

As an aside, if I was a Russian in a command post, I'd consider every single artillery shell fired at a handful of mobiks at the front to be one fewer shell available to kill me.

Basically Ukrainians fighters feel like they're fighting waves of Russians, which is a not inaccurate description of the tempo of the fighting. The messaging machine gets ahold of this and next thing you know shambling hordes of Russians are re-enacting pickett's charge or something out of the Korean war. Ironically the 'frontal attacks' part is accurate insofar as Russia has been attacking directly into Bakhmut itself (vs simply attempting to encircle it) with the same relentless small probing attacks, so now the word 'frontal' is thrown into the messaging mix. While 'frontal' is not inaccurate, again there's no evidence of, like, actual human waves (at least as far as I've seen anywhere and if it existed, I am 99.9% sure Ukraine would be releasing it for morale reasons). There does however exist tons of evidence of 5-15 Russians at a time launching small attacks on foot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Steezo posted:

Do not stand in front of a howitzer as it fires.

statements that should not have to be said outloud