Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i will deconstruct their skin from their bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i think im going to enjoy bocchi because of the extremely low expectations i have for it based on the fact that the other lauded cute girl band anime sucked and bocchi is also a cute girl band anime,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chainsaw Man reaction in Japan is kinda of muted in that there's a lot more crit about it being an underwhelming adaptation of the manga than there is in the west. It's not doing terrible but it's not a run away hit like Bocchi or With of Mercury is

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

marumaru posted:

based on the fact that the other lauded cute girl band anime sucked

you have five seconds to name one other than K-On! or else youre banned from the new chat thread

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Beck.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Chainsaw Man reaction in Japan is kinda of muted in that there's a lot more crit about it being an underwhelming adaptation of the manga than there is in the west. It's not doing terrible but it's not a run away hit like Bocchi or With of Mercury is

i was pretty surprised to learn that the petition to replace the director originated from Japan since that seems like a very American aniTwitter thing to do

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

soy un perdedor

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I don’t know what people wanted from the Chainsaw Man anime. The production values are about as good as it gets.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

symbolic posted:

you have five seconds to name one other than K-On! or else youre banned from the new chat thread

haruhi

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i want style, not raw production values

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hmmm...

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

I don’t know what people wanted from the Chainsaw Man anime. The production values are about as good as it gets.

I think that's the problem. From the criticism I've heard, it seems like some people really like the sketchy, rough style of the manga and don't feel like the anime captures the feeling of the material because it's so well produced and polished.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mind giving some sources? I'm getting conflicting reports when I look things up.

Chainsaw Man's getting great streaming numbers, including massive cross-demographic appeal, and it's done better in general anime polling than Witch (although it's still behind LycoReco and Bocchi for most of those), with most of the complaints I can find coming from Japan's 4chan counterpart.

Witch's gunpla sales are through the roof, and it has some serious twitter presence, but it also doesn't seem to have gotten more mainstream appeal than Gundam's baseline, so it's odd to see it held up as this big runaway hit.

(Especially since the TV ratings are worse than they were for IBO season 2. Now, it's a different TV environment now and all, but that does make me question some of the narratives around Witch as a huge comeback, rather than just being another entry in a very successful series.)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

symbolic posted:

im actually starting to resent Bocchi a bit thanks to being overwhelmed by hearing how it's the sleeper hit of the year, the next K-On!, etc

K- on is still the best, but I welcome the introverted spiritual successor

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

i'm sorry, it didn't have to be like this. your death will be swift at least

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nephthys posted:

I think that's the problem. From the criticism I've heard, it seems like some people really like the sketchy, rough style of the manga and don't feel like the anime captures the feeling of the material because it's so well produced and polished.

well in fairness could any studio capture it entirely

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

*racks shotgun*

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Mind giving some sources? I'm getting conflicting reports when I look things up.

Chainsaw Man's getting great streaming numbers, including massive cross-demographic appeal, and it's done better in general anime polling than Witch (although it's still behind LycoReco and Bocchi for most of those), with most of the complaints I can find coming from Japan's 4chan counterpart.

Witch's gunpla sales are through the roof, and it has some serious twitter presence, but it also doesn't seem to have gotten more mainstream appeal than Gundam's baseline, so it's odd to see it held up as this big runaway hit.

(Especially since the TV ratings are worse than they were for IBO season 2. Now, it's a different TV environment now and all, but that does make me question some of the narratives around Witch as a huge comeback, rather than just being another entry in a very successful series.)

Being criticized doesn't mean people aren't watching, it just means they watch it to complain about it. IE: Hypothetically tons of people could watch it but not put it on the Best Anime of 2022 lists.

Edit: Also why are so invested in Witch of Mercury's TV ratings, honestly it's weirding me out.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that no one could name any of the other actual cute girls rock band animes that exist besides k-on just proves the point i think

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
SoniAni was pretty popular for 10 minutes

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Being criticized doesn't mean people aren't watching, it just means they watch it to complain about it. IE: Hypothetically tons of people could watch it but not put it on the Best Anime of 2022 lists.

Edit: Also why are so invested in Witch of Mercury's TV ratings, honestly it's weirding me out.

It's mostly because it's the best data I have access to that can be directly compared to other Gundam shows. I don't have streaming data for IBO or earlier, so it's the closest I have to being able to compare like to like.

Shows like Chainsaw Man and Bocchi are late night anime, so they hardly ever chart (Vinland Saga did a couple times, though), while Witch initially did, so it feels like that's part of the math when figuring out what the big hits were in the season.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

that no one could name any of the other actual cute girls rock band animes that exist besides k-on just proves the point i think

Never ending girls life!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tales of Woe posted:

i think nana is a cute girl with a band

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

hihi puffy amiyumi

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It's mostly because it's the best data I have access to that can be directly compared to other Gundam shows. I don't have streaming data for IBO or earlier, so it's the closest I have to being able to compare like to like.

Shows like Chainsaw Man and Bocchi are late night anime, so they hardly ever chart (Vinland Saga did a couple times, though), while Witch initially did, so it feels like that's part of the math when figuring out what the big hits were in the season.

We're not even talking about that show though, you just brought it up out of nowhere based on a loose tangent from Chainsaw Man.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah I'm really perplexed what all this petition stuff about CSM is coming from. I'm too old now and I was happy every day the episodes came out and I like that CGI-assisted animation doesn't look too bad finally.

Only 12 episodes came out. There's still a ton of good stuff that's set up and hasn't come yet. I hope all this anger at adaptation direction will be relegated to old millenials making 1:47:15 long YouTube video essays or something so I don't have to interact with it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

symbolic posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a show that pulls off a similar style and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe something like Ping Pong or Paranoia Agent?

People seem pretty invested in Chainsaw Man not being like other series so I guess that's probably part of it.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 1, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Big Leg posted:

i think nana is a cute girl with a band

K-On is cute girls doing cute things.

Nana is hot musicians being terrible to each other.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

We're not even talking about that show though, you just brought it up out of nowhere based on a loose tangent from Chainsaw Man.

The post I was quoting said that Chainsaw Man wasn't a runaway hit like Bocchi or Witch from Mercury.

I was only bringing it up because it was being compared to Chainsaw Man by someone else, so I figured the ratings (which we only have for Witch, because it's the non-late night anime of the three) were a part of figuring out what makes a runaway hit.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willsun posted:

Yeah I'm really perplexed what all this petition stuff about CSM is coming from. I'm too old now and I was happy every day the episodes came out and I like that CGI-assisted animation doesn't look too bad finally.

Only 12 episodes came out. There's still a ton of good stuff that's set up and hasn't come yet. I hope all this anger at adaptation direction will be relegated to old millenials making 1:47:15 long YouTube video essays or something so I don't have to interact with it.

So I actually decided to go to the petition and see what that guy's complaints about the CSM anime were.

1) They don't like the more cinematic/movie like directorial style of the director. They feel like the slower pace and higher fidelity detail ruins the pacing and gags compared to the Manga. They're also not a fan of the greater focus on eroticism like with the Makima and Himeno scenes. They also feel like certain elements of foreshadowing were done poorly.

They think it would have been better if stylistically it was more like *any* of the following: The "Dorohedoro" anime, a Studio TRIGGER anime, a Quinton Taratino Film, or a B-film style film.

2)Storyboard/Staging. They in particular don't like the CG elements and cited not liking the fight scenes in episode 1 and 3. They do like the ep 4 fight scene. Again, they want it closer to the Manga in terms of framing/storyboarding.

3. Music/Sound/Acting. They're not a fan of a lot of the background ost. To them it's pretty forgettable. They also think the sound mixing is bad in some spots making it hard to hear the characters. They don't think they made the Chainsaw noises powerful/impactful enough. They also don't like Denij's Voice acting performance. They think it's too gloomy/not manic enough. They'd rather he be voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto known for voicing Bakugo in My Hero Academia.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Julias posted:

So I actually decided to go to the petition and see what that guy's complaints about the CSM anime were.

1) They don't like the more cinematic/movie like directorial style of the director. They feel like the slower pace and higher fidelity detail ruins the pacing and gags compared to the Manga. They're also not a fan of the greater focus on eroticism like with the Makima and Himeno scenes. They also feel like certain elements of foreshadowing were done poorly.

They think it would have been better if stylistically it was more like *any* of the following: The "Dorohedoro" anime, a Studio TRIGGER anime, a Quinton Taratino Film, or a B-film style film.

2)Storyboard/Staging. They in particular don't like the CG elements and cited not liking the fight scenes in episode 1 and 3. They do like the ep 4 fight scene. Again, they want it closer to the Manga in terms of framing/storyboarding.

3. Music/Sound/Acting. They're not a fan of a lot of the background ost. To them it's pretty forgettable. They also think the sound mixing is bad in some spots making it hard to hear the characters. They don't think they made the Chainsaw noises powerful/impactful enough. They also don't like Denij's Voice acting performance. They think it's too gloomy/not manic enough. They'd rather he be voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto known for voicing Bakugo in My Hero Academia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHjY0ayQ4M

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My personal take is that the Chainsawman adaptation is pretty good, but it's an apples and oranges comparison to the Manga. For people who just wanted the manga style translated more faithfully, it may come across as a disappointment, especially since due to it's slow pace it only covers about a third of the first part of the manga, and only starts getting onto some of the more interesting narrative stuff towards the end. While the manga is much quicker paced, more sketchy stylistically and has some really awesome panel composition, the anime aimed to be much more cinematic in nature and tries to draw you into the lovely world and make you connect with the characters through the smaller interpersonal moments that don't get as much focus in the manga. I like it as a companion piece to the Manga personally, rather than as a substitute for reading the manga.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

symbolic posted:

Mappa actually did for the Dorohedoro anime!

The Chainsaw Man anime redo petition is funny in a "this means nothing way" but it does really hint that the adaptation is getting much more muted response in Japan

chiasaur11 posted:

No solid numbers so I'm going more by general feel, but the BD sales are super soft (which isn't a huge sign given the modern market) and the manga has not had anywhere near the uptick in sales that other Jump/Jump + adaptations have gotten nor something like Bocchi has gotten

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Teetering bw whether I feel like making any kind of AOTY effortposts and just saying its Pokemon Journeys for the fourth year in a row, and it'd deserve it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shonen jump adaptions are rarely especially exciting so like I dunno, Chainsawman is good but not amazing or whatever but not sure why you'd go in expecting something incredible. Also only 13 episodes and while the early arcs of Chainsawman are good they're not what made me a huge fan of the series.

Def don't know why the petition is such a talking point though. 2000 or so internet nerds disliking an adaption of their fav manga means less than nothing so not sure why anyone could possibly care.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the reason is because it's fun to laugh at terrible whiny nerds

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

My personal take is that the Chainsawman adaptation is pretty good, but it's an apples and oranges comparison to the Manga. For people who just wanted the manga style translated more faithfully, it may come across as a disappointment, especially since due to it's slow pace it only covers about a third of the first part of the manga, and only starts getting onto some of the more interesting narrative stuff towards the end. While the manga is much quicker paced, more sketchy stylistically and has some really awesome panel composition, the anime aimed to be much more cinematic in nature and tries to draw you into the lovely world and make you connect with the characters through the smaller interpersonal moments that don't get as much focus in the manga. I like it as a companion piece to the Manga personally, rather than as a substitute for reading the manga.

"Slower pace" is kind of an odd complaint for a show that covered 38 chapters in 12 episodes, I think. That's right on pace for most anime, if not on the brisk side, averaging a bit over 3 chapters an episode.

For reference, JJJK had 24 episodes for 64 chapters, averaging 2.6 chapters an episode. Demon Slayer's first season covered 50 chapters, giving it about 2 chapters an episode. And My Hero Academia's first season covered a mere 21 chapters in 13 episodes, averaging a mere 1.6 chapters an episode.

(And that's ignoring shows like One Piece that, through filler, manage to fall below 1 chapter an episode on average.)

I can see how some scenes might make it feel slower, but for an anime, it's very quick for a full adaptation (rather than a 'Jam as much as we can in season 1 because we're not getting season 2' adaptation.)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

mdct posted:

I'm actually of the opinion that while Chainsawman's anime is gorgeous in the abstract, it's honestly kind of a bad adaptation. A lot of directorial decisions taken that I disagree with and the pacing is pretty off.
Also, like, it didn't need to be Mappa trying to make a prestige series. It makes it feel kind of weirdly cynical. As neat as they are, did it really need 10 unique EDs? Did it need to have the 3 minute sequence of Aki starting his day be so lavishly overanimated? It's like it hedged its bets on "this is going to be the best thing all year, you watch us" and it fell flat when Bocchi and GWitch ate its lunch.

It actually doesn't make sense but those particular (over)indulgences were some of the few parts I felt like I could enjoy the anime as its own thing rather than it generally being an adaptation yoked to stupid ideas from its director and main producer.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Def don't know why the petition is such a talking point though. 2000 or so internet nerds disliking an adaption of their fav manga means less than nothing so not sure why anyone could possibly care.

It either "justifies" displeasure with the adaptation or is something you can blow up to cast people who dislike one of the season's hottest shows in a negative light. Just a new piece on the board to play with.

Anyway, being reminded that Ousama Ranking was this year and that's definitely the biggest piece of crap I saw. Huge bait and switch to make half of a good series and then piss it all away after your audience is committed, even with some of the year's best animation backing it up. A criticism more for the original author, but Wit had enough leeway to mix up a lot of the story prior, so they probably could've chopped it into something more bearable.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they're making what appears to be an original side story anime for ousama ranking next year instead of a season 2, they clearly realized the adaptation was better than the material lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tales of Woe posted:

they're making what appears to be an original side story anime for ousama ranking next year instead of a season 2, they clearly realized the adaptation was better than the material lol

hell yeah. yurei deco was my biggest disappointment; at least like 70% of ranking of kings was good