Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
actual parkour stuff is cool, it's a shame most content labeled as such is just cats or people falling down to that one office sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

the mother in law or w/e calls out the answers from the couch. it is a comedy scene, not a mystery scene

yes, I noticed the hamfisted comedy. it was still a boring scene because it wasn't funny, or interesting

I'd say just skip the first 8 minutes. the whole thing has a direct-to-video sequel vibe, but that's not necessarily bad; people who liked Aladdin probably enjoyed Return of Jafar well enough, same thing with Knives Out/Glass Onion. Norton and Hahn are clearly phoning in their roles, but then again they weren't given much to do. Daniel Craig rules, Drax is good, the movie looks great, awesome soundtrack and score, some really fun/cute scenes (and a few that are too precious). solid way to kill a couple hours, C+

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
figured as much, since that was also what that post made me think of

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

My wife who really loves mysteries really enjoyed the deconstruction of the genre. You'll get a lot more out of it if you like that sort of thing.

I thought it was fine and enjoyable.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I enjoyed watching it when I was in the passenger's seat of the car.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Glass onion was a good silly mystery movie.

Maybe Rian's schtick is getting overplayed like Waititi's. Check out the upcoming Poker Face mystery show to find out.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Avatar 2 has Harry Potter 1 cgi. stinks wont watch, put James Cameron in a home already.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's ok to dislike the movie without making up fake reasons

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

indigi posted:

it's ok to dislike the movie without making up fake reasons

the truth must be protected by a bodyguard of lies.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's a good point I never thought of it that way

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The climax of the movie relies on people that have just spent the last 2 hours swimming not realizing they can swim under fire

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

apatheticman posted:

The climax of the movie relies on people that have just spent the last 2 hours swimming not realizing they can swim under fire

they do do that though. a lot of the fighting is underwater. but you can't only attack people on surface vessels from there with spears and arrows. it's like saying these idiots dying in no man's land could just be in their trenches and firing artillery. yeah they could but then what.

my main problem with the final battle is that 1) it's too long which leads to 2) Cameron taking too many bites of the emotional climax apple which just got exhausting 3) the whale should of bit more people in half

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ah so avatar 2 stole Black Panther 2's ending

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Glad I'm not watching that derivative crap

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

indigi posted:

they do do that though. a lot of the fighting is underwater. but you can't only attack people on surface vessels from there with spears and arrows. it's like saying these idiots dying in no man's land could just be in their trenches and firing artillery. yeah they could but then what.

my main problem with the final battle is that 1) it's too long which leads to 2) Cameron taking too many bites of the emotional climax apple which just got exhausting 3) the whale should of bit more people in half

No they don't

The only reason spider and the gang is available to be used as pawns at the final set piece is because they saw flame that was like maybe 25 feet and were like "Let's go back"

I agree all your points, especially with the whale.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

apatheticman posted:

No they don't

The only reason spider and the gang is available to be used as pawns at the final set piece is because they saw flame that was like maybe 25 feet and were like "Let's go back"

I agree all your points, especially with the whale.

also what happened to the whole army of water people? there was a whole bunch of them and then they decided to peace out on the heroes after the ship started to sink? you’d think the chief and his wife would want to find their daughter, but she’s just left alone on a rock with a corpse???

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sitchensis posted:

also what happened to the whole army of water people? there was a whole bunch of them and then they decided to peace out on the heroes after the ship started to sink? you’d think the chief and his wife would want to find their daughter, but she’s just left alone on a rock with a corpse???

I'd assumed everyone died but they do all show up at the end. you're right

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

well too bad assholes, you're in for 3 more movies of this poo poo because jim locked everybody into a 4-movie contract by doing simultaneous shooting

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
When do we get avatar TV shows?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i watched brotherhood of the wolf a couple months back and overall it was good but the first half was better. too much slo mo action which is probably my #1 cinematic pet peeve, but also has vincent cassell doing his trademark of being an elegantly smug bastard, as well as monica bellucci's boobs, so, worth it imo

Laterite has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Dec 31, 2022

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Glad I'm not watching that derivative crap

But you watched Black Panther 2?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

rewatching 2022 Scream and it goes out of its way to poo poo on Rian Johnson. terrible movie, but that scene is alright.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
kevin williamson quippy dialogue is absolutely the precursor of joss whedon quippy dialogue so scream has a lot to answer for while still being good itself imo

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

that’s absolutely fair, but Scream 2022 is neither quippy nor fun nor good.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I thought I’d seen they live, but I had not. pretty fuckin cool. together with Christine I suspect carpenter has read Marx.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Zvahl posted:

kevin williamson quippy dialogue is absolutely the precursor of joss whedon quippy dialogue so scream has a lot to answer for while still being good itself imo

You can't pin Buffy on Scream. The Buffy TV show premiered 3 months after Scream was released. The Buffy movie written by Whedon was 1992 as well.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

apatheticman posted:

also the whole loving navi army disappearing for no reason

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

so the message of the avatar movies is that if american colonists badly want your resource, and will kill you to get it, you just have to defeat them honourably in small-scale combat and they will give up and leave forever. useful information, thank you james

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

a strange fowl posted:

so the message of the avatar movies is that if american colonists badly want your resource, and will kill you to get it, you just have to defeat them honourably in small-scale combat and they will give up and leave forever. useful information, thank you james

No that was avatar 1.

Avatar 2 didn't even really have an ending w/r/t the main plot of planet exploitation.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

babypolis posted:

also the whole loving navi army disappearing for no reason

I assumed they were fighting the rest of the army offscreen, it was a pretty big skirmish

a strange fowl posted:

Uh no? After the first movie they sent a whole fleet that built a massive capital city in the Na'vis backyard. The na'vi started a guerilla war and the military wanted the insurgent leader dead, so they sent out a special squad with limited resources to get that job done, but they're not leaving just because the spec ops fumbled their mission. They're still there preparing for the rest of earths survivors

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a strange fowl posted:

how did you get that from the movies where the exact opposite of this happens

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean Banlieue 13/B13/District 13?
don't forget Brick Mansions, the American remake made 10 years later starring Paul Walker as (surprise) the undercover cop, and David Belle playing the exact same character

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Laterite posted:

i watched brotherhood of the wolf
You ever hear a movie title, and it just gives ya a flashback to other movies.
Like ones you wish you could forget existed....

Brain: Time to put aside 10 minutes to remember that Warriors of Virtue exists, haha Dipshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4STNypFBh0

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Jazerus posted:

well too bad assholes, you're in for 3 more movies of this poo poo because jim locked everybody into a 4-movie contract by doing simultaneous shooting

lol no way

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rewatched Titanic. My heart will go on ❤️

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

indigi posted:

how did you get that from the movies where the exact opposite of this happens
i haven't seen them, that's why i keep asking

indigi
Jul 20, 2004