Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Groda posted:

I took a 1 credit course in Fortran as a joke in my freshman year of college.

Two decades later it's still the only language I use at work.

Goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Saying all that, Europe has mandatory compensation for delayed flights (which is often more than the ticket price), not sure how it works for cancelled flights but that could be effective to encourage private carriers to price tickets with enough fat to cover more schedule risk reduction.
This is how I've flown to the US and back essentially for free twice out of the last 3 times I've gone. It's loving hilarious watching US carriers apply local logic to EU flight scheduling and paying out the rear end when it inevitably blows in their faces.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Groda posted:

77, or something more modernized?

.... it's not something pre-77, is it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

This is how I've flown to the US and back essentially for free twice out of the last 3 times I've gone. It's loving hilarious watching US carriers apply local logic to EU flight scheduling and paying out the rear end when it inevitably blows in their faces.

This is also applicable to Asia a Delta put us in a Tokyo Disney hotel for a weather cancellation once.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Groda posted:

The monkeys paw curled directly around your balls, eh?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If only I’d gotten that lucky with VHDL.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Full Collapse posted:

If only I’d gotten that lucky with VHDL.

There’s VHDL jobs around if you want one (and live in or are willing to relocate to where the jobs are).

We’re always looking if you live in MA or are willing to relocate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I prefer verilog.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

OddObserver posted:

77, or something more modernized?

.... it's not something pre-77, is it?

Fortran 90 -- nuclear engineering

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Makes sense, if FORTRAN is good for anything, it's the vast library of finely tuned math, engineering, and scientific libraries available. If some genius hand-optimized some thermodynamics modules twenty years ago, it's going to take a lot to get people to switch. Python is catching up though, our Computational Biology people at work write a ton of python code.

Protein folding is passe though, we have a lab that freezes protein samples, takes a spherical array of images with a scanning electron microscope, and an AI turns those into 3D models.;

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I prefer verilog.

Sure, most of the time it’s dealers choice. The government used to require VHDL but I don’t think that’s true anymore.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1609398439153963009
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1609413444502945792

seems bad

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My first thought would be ransomware attack

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mllaneza posted:

Makes sense, if FORTRAN is good for anything, it's the vast library of finely tuned math, engineering, and scientific libraries available. If some genius hand-optimized some thermodynamics modules twenty years ago, it's going to take a lot to get people to switch. Python is catching up though, our Computational Biology people at work write a ton of python code.

They’re probably still using Fortran, just indirectly. All performant python code hands off as much work as possible to libraries that are not written in python

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

david_a posted:

They’re probably still using Fortran, just indirectly. All performant python code hands off as much work as possible to libraries that are not written in python

Comp bio and performant are rarely used in the same sentence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

St_Ides posted:

My first thought would be ransomware attack

Y2k23

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

drat we're scheduled to fly in there tomorrow. Or maybe not.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Looks like they are getting back to normal in the Phillipines now, at least somewhat.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I guess we'll report back in a few hours on whether poo poo is hosed or unfucked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lol they lost power. Whoopsie.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Apparently a Baggage handler got sucked into an engine yesterday.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/american-airlines-ramper-sucked-into-engine/

Happy new year.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

helno posted:

Apparently a Baggage handler got sucked into an engine yesterday.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/american-airlines-ramper-sucked-into-engine/

Happy new year.

quote:

... an American Airlines ground crew piedmont employee was involved in a fatality ...

This TikTok censoring is getting out of hand...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

That's just copaganda passive voice creeping in to defend corporations. No one died, someone was just involved in an incident which resulted in their terminal injuries!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/avo/7565427588.html

Propeller for sale to be used as decoration

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Gearing up to make an offer?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I dig the authentic gear-up landing damage

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Send it to those guys in Russia who take those insanely totaled cars and make them look new again

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arson Daily posted:

Send it to those guys in Russia who take those insanely totaled cars and make them look new again

Those guys are probably quite busy right now :v:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Someone will buy that as a “decoration” and the spinner will end up featured in the 2023 Defector What Did We Get Stuck In Our Rectums Last Year?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Someone will buy that as a “decoration” and the spinner will end up featured in the 2023 Defector What Did We Get Stuck In Our Rectums Last Year?

It has a naturally flared base, that would take some doing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That would make one hell of a coffee table.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Or maybe some game-of-thrones type of chair, with prop blades instead of swords.

The ad looks stupid but I have to admit I don't know a more affordable way of getting s busted propeller.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

That would make one hell of a coffee table.

Blades as legs, spinner through a cutout in the glass top

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

Blades as legs, spinner through a cutout in the glass top

That was my first thought.

then

Weighted wood box with a bevelled opening for the spinner, glass across the 3-tips. Could go either way

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

vessbot posted:

Gearing up to make an offer?
I appreciate this.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

FORTRAN people: do people complain about that language because it's old and bad or just that it's old? what about it being old makes it bad?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, if you’re talking about old enough FORTRAN it doesn’t even have if statements.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I have no idea what that means

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

I have no idea what that means

IF statements are one of the fundamental building blocks of modern programming. FORTRAN predates them.

That said, it's blazing fast at the stuff it's good at (it stands for FORmula TRANslating) and there's almost sixty years of knowledge to draw on if you're doing heavy scientific math with it.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not having “IF” statements is like a car not having pedals or a steering wheel.

Sure, there are other ways to operate, but they’re ubiquitous for drat good reasons. Not having them is weird and bad.