Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Big Leg posted:

hell yeah. yurei deco was my biggest disappointment; at least like 70% of ranking of kings was good

Yeah Yurei deco is on my list of worst series for the year (that I watched). Just a mess of a show that wasn't sure what it wanted it's message to be and whelp did it show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

haypliss posted:

Anyway, being reminded that Ousama Ranking was this year and that's definitely the biggest piece of crap I saw. Huge bait and switch to make half of a good series and then piss it all away after your audience is committed, even with some of the year's best animation backing it up. A criticism more for the original author, but Wit had enough leeway to mix up a lot of the story prior, so they probably could've chopped it into something more bearable.

I wouldn't quite go as far as that but the second half definitely was a massive step down and I'd have to agree that it was the anime I was most disappointed by in 2022. Going from how dynamic and unconventional the first half was to back-to-back tensionless fight scenes where someone would get 'mortally wounded' only to get healed in the nick of time just killed the series' momentum. It seriously happens like 5 times or something, it was absurd. And the arc just went on and on, it just kept spinning its wheels even though it was obvious the whole time how it would end which further killed the tension.

Next most disappointing was Machikado Mazoku S2. I honestly have no idea why but it just didn't click with me and I loved the first season.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 1, 2023

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

marumaru posted:

i think im going to enjoy bocchi because of the extremely low expectations i have for it based on the fact that the other lauded cute girl band anime sucked and bocchi is also a cute girl band anime,

I think K-On is bad and sucks and Bocchi is my favorite anime of the year not named Kaguya.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

I think K-On is bad and sucks and Bocchi is my favorite anime of the year not named Kaguya.

noooo now I have moderately high expectations for bocchi!!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Nephthys posted:

I wouldn't quite go as far as that but the second half definitely was a massive step down and I'd have to agree that it was the anime I was most disappointed by in 2022. Going from how dynamic and unconventional the first half was to back-to-back tensionless fight scenes where someone would get 'mortally wounded' only to get healed in the nick of time just killed the series' momentum. It seriously happens like 5 times or something, it was absurd. And the arc just went on and on, it just kept spinning its wheels even though it was obvious the whole time how it would end which further killed the tension.

Next most disappointing was Machikado Mazoku S2. I honestly have no idea why but it just didn't click with me and I loved the first season.

The issues with pacing and stakes of conflict were things I felt going into the second half, but it's really the Gyakuza storyline that completely broke the series for me. Up to that point it was a central focus that the characters in conflict have sympathetic or at least understandable motives. Creating a country that is entirely evil, unknowable people who are then brutally killed or subjugated and shuffled offscreen is counter to every bit of that. The only potential redemption for including something like this in the story is to later turn that development on its head, but when the series is instead putting all effort towards rehabilitating the most unlikeable character, to the extent of all the stupid crap they do to keep Miranjo around, the taste it leaves is horrible and doesn't make me inclined to generosity for far-future hypothetical developments.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bocchi and k-on arent even remotely similar anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the similarities:
the main cast are girls
they touch guitars at some point

the differences:
literally everything else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most of k-on's emotional highpoints are about the fleeting wonder of high school life while in bocchi multiple characters talk about how they dropped out of high school and it was ftw

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

"Slower pace" is kind of an odd complaint for a show that covered 38 chapters in 12 episodes, I think. That's right on pace for most anime, if not on the brisk side, averaging a bit over 3 chapters an episode.

For reference, JJJK had 24 episodes for 64 chapters, averaging 2.6 chapters an episode. Demon Slayer's first season covered 50 chapters, giving it about 2 chapters an episode. And My Hero Academia's first season covered a mere 21 chapters in 13 episodes, averaging a mere 1.6 chapters an episode.

(And that's ignoring shows like One Piece that, through filler, manage to fall below 1 chapter an episode on average.)

I can see how some scenes might make it feel slower, but for an anime, it's very quick for a full adaptation (rather than a 'Jam as much as we can in season 1 because we're not getting season 2' adaptation.)

This is kind of a fallacy to think of manga pacing in terms of chapter number or page count. It depends on the nature of the story being told, how dialogue or action heavy it is, and the amount of detail squeezed into the page. For example, One Piece tends to have a lot of small clustered panels packed with detail, and a lot of Hunter x Hunter chapters have an essays worth of dialogue. Meanwhile BLEACH is almost nothing but action and quips, so you could easily adapt several chapters into a single episode if you were going for optimal pacing. For Chainsawman it can vary, but I'd say it's generally closer the the lighter side like BLEACH, which makes reading through it really fast paced.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

symbolic posted:

i will deconstruct their skin from their bones

Can't remember if that was a way that Bocchi died, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

the similarities:
the main cast are girls
they touch guitars at some point

the differences:
literally everything else

this is enough for constant comparison

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

kirtar posted:

Can't remember if that was a way that Bocchi died, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Bocchmen

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kirtar posted:

I think this counts

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

This is kind of a fallacy to think of manga pacing in terms of chapter number or page count. It depends on the nature of the story being told, how dialogue or action heavy it is, and the amount of detail squeezed into the page. For example, One Piece tends to have a lot of small clustered panels packed with detail, and a lot of Hunter x Hunter chapters have an essays worth of dialogue. Meanwhile BLEACH is almost nothing but action and quips, so you could easily adapt several chapters into a single episode if you were going for optimal pacing. For Chainsawman it can vary, but I'd say it's generally closer the the lighter side like BLEACH, which makes reading through it really fast paced.

On the other side, Chainsaw Man has a lot of dialogue-light panels and scenes that are meant to be taken slowly, with cinematic pans over alleyways, close-ups of birds and rats, and other panels that can be taken quicky, but that are clearly referencing cinematic styles like Better Call Saul or some Tarantino scenes that linger before the explosive action.

You can, hypothetically, rush through them and give them no time to breathe, but that tends to lead to manga readers asking things like if Denji is a fiend (no) or what certain big reveals meant. The manga deliberately lingers on the quiet moments, making scenes like Aki's coffee break very in keeping with its approach.

Arguing that the show has a slow pace because it gives things room to breathe feels like it's taking the speedreading angle, ignoring atmosphere in favor of immediate action. It's like asking for a cliff notes version of Moby Dick. You'll get done sooner, and you'll hit the key plot beats, but you'll lose the real story in the process.

(For the sake of argument, though, what would you think the pacing would be in a hypothetical Chainsaw Man adaptation that wasn't 'slow paced'? Just kind of a rough plot beats per episode, how long it would take to cover the events of season 1 thing.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 1, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also chiasaur's tv ratings gimmick sucks and also they dont seem to understand any of the data they read or how to put it into context

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said to be fair about the csm anime not boosting manga sales, it isnt really a situation like yaiba or jjk. jjk was doing okay before the anime and yaiba was relatively unknown, the anime boosted them to insane heights. csm is already one of the best selling manga in the world. there's only so much room to grow.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

(For the sake of argument, though, what would you think the pacing would be in a hypothetical Chainsaw Man adaptation that wasn't 'slow paced'? Just kind of a rough plot beats per episode, how long it would take to cover the events of season 1 thing.)

If you really wanted to rush it, you could do the entirety of part 1 of chainsawman in a 26 episode season, but I do prefer the slower approach the anime is taking for the most part, because as i said in my previous post, it draws you into the world and makes you connect with the characters and their emotions more succinctly than a Hyper fast paced adaptation would allow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

that said to be fair about the csm anime not boosting manga sales, it isnt really a situation like yaiba or jjk. jjk was doing okay before the anime and yaiba was relatively unknown, the anime boosted them to insane heights. csm is already one of the best selling manga in the world. there's only so much room to grow.

It also went from having 16 million copies in circulation to 23 million copies in circulation during the show's run, which is a reasonable boost. It's nothing like Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen or Tokyo Revengers, of course. but it's not bad at all.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It almost felt like the anime merely being teased as the big project it was, created hype to the point that people were getting into the manga out of curiosity. Though other things like it being "over" helped, and manga in general booming lately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chainsaw man's sales boomed way before it was announced as an anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Going to bed now. Winter thread will be up sometime tomorrow and I'll try to post an anime of the year thread too.

Happy New year everyone :toot:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shonen jump adaptions are rarely especially exciting so like I dunno, Chainsawman is good but not amazing or whatever but not sure why you'd go in expecting something incredible. Also only 13 episodes and while the early arcs of Chainsawman are good they're not what made me a huge fan of the series.

You say that, but I remember last year talking in the best of the year thread about how much I liked Jujutsu Kaisen and pointing out it had these merits to it and that it made a lot of other shows look so much worse by comparison because it was so good and all the things it did made it look so easy and I had someone suddenly jump on me "You say that because THE CHAINSAWMAN ANIME ISN'T OUT YET! CHAINSAWMAN IS ALL THAT AND MORE! CSM IS THE TRUE COMPETITOR AND ULTIMATE PEER OF JJK! CHAINSAWMAN IS WHAT IT'S COMPETING WITH! CHAINSAWMAN!" And similarly I'd heard nothing but incredible hype and excitement for Chainsaw Man from all quarters and yet both the anime and manga struck me as kind of a Paper Tiger. And now having seen both I'm gonna say I like Jujutsu Kaisen better.

Again, it's alright. So's the manga, but from where I'm sitting "alright" is all it is.

Honestly CSM could have used more bits of Aki making breakfast and more carefully interspersed slow moments because those were prolly the best parts of the show. The bit at the end of him smoking that cigarette felt like a way better ending to the season than I thought it would. At the same time I'm probably going to pass on season 2, there are plenty of other alright anime in the world that appeal more strongly to me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah for some reason there was like an insane Need for the Chainsaw Man anime to be the best anime ever so reality could only disappoint

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mycot posted:

Yeah for some reason there was like an insane Need for the Chainsaw Man anime to be the best anime ever so reality could only disappoint

You know, put like that I suddenly have a lot more sympathy for Chainsaw Man.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Omnicrom posted:

Honestly CSM could have used more bits of Aki making breakfast and more carefully interspersed slow moments because those were prolly the best parts of the show. The bit at the end of him smoking that cigarette felt like a way better ending to the season than I thought it would. At the same time I'm probably going to pass on season 2, there are plenty of other alright anime in the world that appeal more strongly to me.

I definitely think CSM got overhyped, especially considering what material it adapted, but I'll say that I think a large chunk of CSM's appeal to manga readers is how unlike most shonen series it becomes, which you really don't get a sense of in this first season aside from how quick poo poo got real in episode 8 and some hints for further down the line.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do think one of the issue with Chainsaw Man anime is its trying to hard to be like a live action movie/prestige TV. It wants to be different from anime and between the edges getting sanded down it just weakens the show

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think if JJK had a power system that made more sense/was translated more transparently I would appreciate it much more. There's just this wall it will put up every so often (like the current manga fight) where the jargon just like my ability to understand what the back and forth is before someone ends up on the ground with a bloody hole in their torso or whatever.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Julias posted:

I definitely think CSM got overhyped, especially considering what material it adapted, but I'll say that I think a large chunk of CSM's appeal to manga readers is how unlike most shonen series it becomes, which you really don't get a sense of in this first season aside from how quick poo poo got real in episode 8 and some hints for further down the line.

It's funny, I've heard that brought up a couple of times, and while I'm not going to flat out say it's wrong (because it objectively isn't) I will say that speaking subjectively CSM and its manga never really felt that way. I don't know if that's because of what I watch/read/engage with or if it's just my weird brain and its bizarre sorting heuristics but Chainsaw Man never really felt all that far from the crowd for me.

c'es la vie.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's just Nen, OP. It's a spiritual resource that people cultivate and develop into various powers based on your innate profile. They just call it Curse Energy. If you mean the specific powers used in that fight I can't help you because I'm way behind on the manga.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Omnicrom posted:

It's funny, I've heard that brought up a couple of times, and while I'm not going to flat out say it's wrong (because it objectively isn't) I will say that speaking subjectively CSM and its manga never really felt that way. I don't know if that's because of what I watch/read/engage with or if it's just my weird brain and its bizarre sorting heuristics but Chainsaw Man never really felt all that far from the crowd for me.

c'es la vie.

Nah I'm with you, there isn't a way of saying this that doesn't feel douchey toward the fans but I feel like people conflate lots of character death with subverting expectations or a series being ballsy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

You say that, but I remember last year talking in the best of the year thread about how much I liked Jujutsu Kaisen and pointing out it had these merits to it and that it made a lot of other shows look so much worse by comparison because it was so good and all the things it did made it look so easy and I had someone suddenly jump on me "You say that because THE CHAINSAWMAN ANIME ISN'T OUT YET! CHAINSAWMAN IS ALL THAT AND MORE! CSM IS THE TRUE COMPETITOR AND ULTIMATE PEER OF JJK! CHAINSAWMAN IS WHAT IT'S COMPETING WITH! CHAINSAWMAN!" And similarly I'd heard nothing but incredible hype and excitement for Chainsaw Man from all quarters and yet both the anime and manga struck me as kind of a Paper Tiger. And now having seen both I'm gonna say I like Jujutsu Kaisen better.

Again, it's alright. So's the manga, but from where I'm sitting "alright" is all it is.

I think the people overhyping CSM did the same for JJK tbh

E: Except CSM was getting the same hype pre-anime release, so it mighta been a bit worse

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the chainsaw man anime pretty much delivered, it was an extremely solid adaptation, but the manga doesn't really establish itself as an all-time great until about the last third of part 1 so it's not surprising that people expecting the best thing ever without having read the manga could be a bit underwhelmed just due to the hype

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CSM manga of course is incredible. One of my favs currently running, but y'know it's rare for an anime adaption to capture that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

i tried reading JJK after CSM and it just made me want to reread CSM so ymmv

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mycot posted:

Nah I'm with you, there isn't a way of saying this that doesn't feel douchey toward the fans but I feel like people conflate lots of character death with subverting expectations or a series being ballsy.

yeah sure man that's exactly why i liked the CSM manga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

the character deaths are not what makes csm different from other shonen to me, its more about what it values and its sense of aesthetics that are different

the anime can carry across the actual beats of the plot but timing/framing/visual language can influence what it feels like it values and it obviously changes the aesthetic sensibilities

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Tales of Woe posted:

they're making what appears to be an original side story anime for ousama ranking next year instead of a season 2, they clearly realized the adaptation was better than the material lol

that's not really surprising because the manga isn't that far past the end of the anime so there's not enough to adapt for a season 2 and probably won't be for years given the manga's rather slow pace (the 23 episodes covered 155 chapters lol)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

the character deaths are not what makes csm different from other shonen to me, its more about what it values and its sense of aesthetics that are different

the anime can carry across the actual beats of the plot but timing/framing/visual language can influence what it feels like it values and it obviously changes the aesthetic sensibilities

it's this. Fujimoto's love of primo western cinema is well known and i think it really stands out in his framing, the slight comedic character moments among the tension, his pacing, and just generally how he presents the manga. there's a lot of panels and pages that just feel different from what i'd expect from manga in ways i can't explain. how the timings work out insanely well to make things feel simultaneously tense yet realistic

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean the anime cut Denji singing about getting a union job during the bathtub scene. That's one big mood setting moment the manga does that the anime skipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The anime flubbed the ball kicking contest and that is unforgivable.