Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Torrannor posted:

Did you Read Secret History? All your questions get answered in Secret History.

I did but I guess I should read it again, I must’ve missed the part I posted about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Louisgod posted:

I did but I guess I should read it again, I must’ve missed the part I posted about.

You're not the only one who didn't pick up on all that so don't feel bad ( I tell myself)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
After reading the state of Sanderson, I am really curious what kind of deal he got with Spotify for his audiobooks, they basically bought their way into podcast via Bill Simons and Joe Rohan.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds like it shouldn't have been too hard for them to beat Amazon/Audible's "offer" :v:

State of the Sanderson posted:

So, I regret to tell you, I can’t say much about Hollywood projects right now. Basically, we want our proverbial ducks in a row before we make any announcements. Hollywood things are moving, and moving well, for the first time in my life. I’m hoping that by this time next year you’ll know what has been going on behind the scenes—but making things in Hollywood is challenging, and can take a lot of time. (Particularly if you want to do it right.) So it’s possible that we still might not have a Hollywood announcement next year, either. We’ll see.

This is what's really killing me. I just want concrete details of what's being made, what's going to be a Series vs Movies, and who is attached.

The actual script for Wheel of Time and Rings of Power had some issues, but so long as the casting is good and the set/costumes are great I think I'll be content with whatever we get, but I'm always just like "Ah man I hope it's not like the B Team working on it"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

Sounds like it shouldn't have been too hard for them to beat Amazon/Audible's "offer" :v:

This is what's really killing me. I just want concrete details of what's being made, what's going to be a Series vs Movies, and who is attached.

The actual script for Wheel of Time and Rings of Power had some issues, but so long as the casting is good and the set/costumes are great I think I'll be content with whatever we get, but I'm always just like "Ah man I hope it's not like the B Team working on it"

One thing about Sanderson: he learns from his mistakes and the mistakes of others.

I have no doubt that if we get one terrible adaptation, the next won't make the same mistakes. And he's probably already learned from Wheel of Time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I imagine he'll probably have more power to demand a higher degree of creative control over the adaptation process, whereas with WOT he was 'just' a consultant/producer since he merely finished the series.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm really impressed how he's basically picking a public fight with Audible. I love audiobooks and so as a consequence I use Audible because that's all there is, but man I would love an alternative. Hopefully one that isn't Spotify, though.....

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Taffer posted:

I'm really impressed how he's basically picking a public fight with Audible. I love audiobooks and so as a consequence I use Audible because that's all there is, but man I would love an alternative. Hopefully one that isn't Spotify, though.....

It's nice to see someone who has the power to do so picking that fight. If it came down to it, he could probably do it himself but that would be a shitton of work.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Recording and distributing audiobooks would be a significant undertaking for him/his company...

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Recording and distributing audiobooks would be a significant undertaking for him/his company...

Him getting some sort of ownership stake in another business makes way more sense, that’s I brought Spotify’s podcast history.

I am wondering if he has Michael and Kate on retainer yet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sanderson is worth much less money than I would have guessed, his net worth is in $6-8 million range. I suppose all the insanely rich authors actually made most of their money via TV and Movie contracts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I would have guessed him in the 8-digit range, but I suppose that's not too too surprising. Being on the internet and extremely plugged into his circles it's easy to get a warped sense of how big (or not) he is.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
The Church of Latter Day Saints likes to wet their beak.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Calidus posted:

Sanderson is worth much less money than I would have guessed, his net worth is in $6-8 million range. I suppose all the insanely rich authors actually made most of their money via TV and Movie contracts.

Is that counting Dragonsteel? I'm not sure what his explicit ownership of that is, but considering the many, many millions they have raked in from Kickstarter alone I'd imagine their networth is pretty high. Then again margins on any book sales (and the kickstarter money by extension) are probably really low, so maybe not too high after all.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Taffer posted:

Is that counting Dragonsteel? I'm not sure what his explicit ownership of that is, but considering the many, many millions they have raked in from Kickstarter alone I'd imagine their networth is pretty high. Then again margins on any book sales (and the kickstarter money by extension) are probably really low, so maybe not too high after all.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the kickstarter millions go on fulfillment expenses - printing, shipping, staff. The State of the Sanderson mentioned the number of Dragonsteel staff tripling or somesuch in the last year, that can't be cheap.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Which book is Khriss from?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Khriss is the author/voice of the Ars Arcanum sections of each of Sanderson's books. She is from Taldain and the White Sands books which were adapted into graphic novels.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 28, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

Speechify?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

M_Gargantua posted:

Khriss is the author/voice of the Ars Arcanum sections of each of Sanderson's books. She is from Taldain and the White Sands books which were adapted into graphic novels.

Is White Sands worth reading?

Also - what about Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell?

And what's the best way to get either of these?

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 28, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Is White Sands worth reading?

And what's the best way to get either of these?

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell is worth reading imho. It's a short book, and quite engaging. It was part of the Arcanum Unbounded bundle, with a "wiki" entry about it's world, written by Khriss, of course.

White Sand is imho one of his weaker works, although I think the graphic novel format is at fault for a lot of that weakness. Considering the events in The Lost Metal, it's probably worth it to read a summary at least.

I have no idea where you would get the audiobooks though. With White Sand mainly being a graphic novel, I'm not sure if there even is an audiobook version of White Sand.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Brandon will (or has been, dunno if the comic book release changes that) sending people who email him and ask free drafts of his unpublished white sand novel so that's another way to get the gist of the story/setting.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
They’re also working on a new novelization of White Sand. Plus they’re releasing an omnibus of the graphic novel with some edits to better reflect the state of the Cosmere because his plans have grown since it was released.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

This is one of my favorite Sanderson works because it’s just different. Still had the magic stuff that he is known to, but a very different take. Worth reading if you get ahold of it.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

KKKLIP ART posted:

This is one of my favorite Sanderson works because it’s just different. Still had the magic stuff that he is known to, but a very different take. Worth reading if you get ahold of it.

Agreed. It's also, to my personal taste, one of the more appealing-on-its-face settings, even if I harbor significant logical objections to whatever the hell its backstory is.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

CK07 posted:

Agreed. It's also, to my personal taste, one of the more appealing-on-its-face settings, even if I harbor significant logical objections to whatever the hell its backstory is.

The fact that it’s kind of a horror setting as opposed to the generic sword and sorcery nonsense

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Kickstarter ebooks just went out. Enjoy your post new years hangover recovery reading!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pointlessone posted:

Kickstarter ebooks just went out. Enjoy your post new years hangover recovery reading!

Oh, the first of the secret novels?

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Oh, the first of the secret novels?

Yep. Just finished reading it myself.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is this one of the Cosmere ones?

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

101 posted:

Is this one of the Cosmere ones?

this is one of the cosmere ones, yes.

I know some people really wanted to know nothing going in, so I’ll be cautious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Does anybody know when us non-Kickstarter people can buy the secret books?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Does anybody know when us non-Kickstarter people can buy the secret books?

I think they said that the first one would be available for general purchase in April, and the rest would be available on roughly the same cadence.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think they said that the first one would be available for general purchase in April, and the rest would be available on roughly the same cadence.

APRIL?

WTF???

I figured something like February, but April? Lol, I'm not waiting that long.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Torrannor posted:

APRIL?

WTF???

I figured something like February, but April? Lol, I'm not waiting that long.

That's just physical books, ebooks will be out 10 or 11 days after backers get them

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jose Valasquez posted:

That's just physical books, ebooks will be out 10 or 11 days after backers get them

Ah okay. Yeah, I'm only reading the ebooks anyway, that's good to know. I'm relieved.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

Audio books for non-backers also go up at the same time, if you prefer that format.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Went to try and get Lost Metal from my local bookshop and its sold out, gutted

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Nice they provided the audiobook ready to go in m4b format

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

aarstar posted:

Nice they provided the audiobook ready to go in m4b format

Sanderson and his team seem really committed to doing this whole process right. Or at least as right as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

He’s gonna gently caress around and establish Audible competitor Seon, isn’t he.