Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Professor Shark posted:

It’s good to have posts like that whenever I get the urge to paint Chaos

I’m thinking about doing some Kromlech guys instead

Painting Chaos Marines rips. It's fun as hell, I'll, uh, I'll get around to it....

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm always down to seeing other's minis

When they're done (badly) you'll be the first to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I can't touch chaos because then I'll want to do subfacrions and demons and knights and AoS stuff but if I did I would paint thousand sons wold eaters and death guard in Black Legion colors

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

the issues I had so far with those was a bunch of different things

the GF has a new kitten, so he has kitten energy and likes to upset our old cat, and we live in a studio so there's no really like, room we can just shut the cat in for a while to cool off, so that's one thing, having to break up their fights. Just tonight I went to the bathroom, came back, and one of the minis was on the floor because he was playing with it :cripes:

The other thing, like with the white (pro acryl in lieu of corax white, that the instructions said), for some reason it was acting hydrophobic on the primer, which I don't fully understand.

So like, the silver on the models, that took about like, idk, 30 minutes per model, but there's 13 models that expect there to be silver on it, so that's alone like 6.5 hours. Part of that is because the leadbelcher isn't straight out of the pot, it's in a dropper, so I had to make sure it was the right consistency and keep playing with it a bit on the brush and make sure it flowed right. The other part is being careful with the brush to keep my hands from shaking, and taking breaks here and there and stretching, my wrist usually starts to get grumpy after about an hour or painting if I don't stop everything, walk away and stretch, even if I'm also constantly thinking of sitting up straight and bracing elbows on the desk and all that. As soon as I start to get nerve tingles it usually means I have to stop, which is frustrating.

The gold probably took 7 hours, all for the same reasons. White/offwhite took less, idk 3 hours? A lot of that time overall is rotating the models over and over and over and over, only to find Yet Another Detail I Missed, like, the left leg of the Sorcerer model has a reachable gold trim between the back of the leg and the cloak and I almost missed it until like, just before I was done with basecoating. That's still like, 20+ hours. Shading should only take a few more hours, basing maybe half an hour, throw some astrogranite or something else, wait 12h to dry, nuln oil and dry brush. However, the highlights and detail work? I fully expect that to take as long or longer than it took to do every single other step. So that's what, 45+ hours for 13 chaos minis?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 1, 2023

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

War and Pieces posted:

I can't touch chaos because then I'll want to do subfacrions and demons and knights and AoS stuff but if I did I would paint thousand sons wold eaters and death guard in Black Legion colors

That kind of rocks and is completely lore-cool, to be fair.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Speaking of selling stuff that is taking up space in the warehouse because nobody wants it... GW is selling mystery boxes now! :question:

The 40k one is sold out already. :v:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 1, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm working on a couple of kill teams so I could play gallowdark kill time with my friends and I am basing them on dedicated "ship floor" bases.

So far I have the Necron KT from Shadowvault, a Deathwatch KT, and I finally bought a box of legionaries with a rubric and Plague marine to make a chaos KT of all the legions.

It's 12 models in total and its:

• Leader, Fire dude, and possessed guy are Word Bearers
  • Black Legion have an icon bearer (he's like, representing abbadon) and just a fighter
  • World Eaters have the giant axe
  • Night Lords have the flesh flaying guy
  • Iron Warriors guy has a chain cannon
  • Emperor's children dude has a plasma gun
  • Death Guard Plague marine is just guy with bolt gun
  • Alpha Legion is also just guy with bolt gun
  • Thousand Sons is guy with flamer. I sort of regret not making him the psychic guy as normal rubrics are basically robots but maybe he's controlled be magic from afar.

The downside is I started just painting their shoulder pads to plan out how to approach painting them (most will be airbrushed gold and the colours blocked in, others gunmetal and colour blocked in) and realised they just look like a mess of colours together.

So i need to find a way to tie them all together and mark them out as a squad. I've decided to go with all of them will have their left hand gloves be painted white, and they will all have white handprints on their faces like the Uruk Hai. Their kill team is called the White Hand and they are on some sort of mission for the dark gods.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Speaking of selling stuff that is taking up space in the warehouse because nobody wants it... GW is selling mystery boxes now! :question:

The 40k one is sold out already. :v:

Don't they do that every year?
Feels like I remember them being a thing that happened around this time last year. Or somesuch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cooked Auto posted:

Don't they do that every year?
Feels like I remember them being a thing that happened around this time last year. Or somesuch.

I think this is the third year they've done it. It's a good way to get models to paint for half price basically.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gf said this guy is too white, what do I do?? That’s my chapter scheme. Not sure what I can do to break up the whiteness, aside from highlights and shading

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Recess shading would probably help a little to bring out the detailing. Right now it's a bit too flat.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Gf said this guy is too white, what do I do?? That’s my chapter scheme. Not sure what I can do to break up the whiteness, aside from highlights and shading

I know its extra, but that is begging for panel lining. Do a gloss varnish and get some tamiya panel lining fluid if you can, or try an oil wash. Both are like magic the way they get sucked into the recesses and can be wiped away if you go over the lines and well worth it.

You can do the same with an acrylic wash and a steady hand and tons of patience to fix mistakes, but honestly I wish I tried the enamel panel liners or oil washing sooner.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

So here's the thing.

When you paint white, if you want it to look good, it needs to basically not actually be white.

So Darren latham posted a video ages ago when it was allowed for how the eavy metal team painted white scars.

It was basically all an off white (corax white or Ulthan grey) with pure white (white scar) only as highlights.

Then all the recesses needed multiple shading of a thick light brown, then a thinner dark brown etc.

Essentially black and white are really hard to look good because it's hard to build depth and definition.

At the very least I'd take the white/grey contrast paint and paint that into all the recesses. Then I would actually paint all the flat surfaces off white then edge highlight with a pure white.

The problem with white and black is if you don't do that shading and highlight it does look very flat. Whereas other colours you can get away with a lot more.

If you find there's still too much white, that's possibly because the model is so chunky.

You can always add squad markings etc to the model to break it up, but having a good white/black helps first.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Looks like GW has found a way to get rid of excess stock.

IRL Lootboxes!

And lol the 40k one is already sold out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh my god thats like next level scamming goodness gracious

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not... really? :raise:
I mean they're pretty honest what's going on, ad as we established a few posts up this isn't the first time they've done it as it's on its third year.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/01/warhammer-supply-drops-double-size-mystery-boxes-are-back/

quote:

Each box contains a carefully curated selection of goodies** that we’ve kept far away from resident meddler Tzeentch, so you don’t need to worry about getting stung by fickle chance. One box, one price, twice as much stuff – it’s that simple.

* Supply Drops are only available in the UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan regions.

** Supply Drop contents may differ between regions.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Seems like it's pretty decent as long as you're genuinely ok with getting anything from the subgame you're buying and like it'd be great for folks who like kitbashing or just practicing painting and poo poo.

I wouldn't do it cause the only armies I'm interested in getting started in now are the genestealers and the likelihood of getting them is pretty low. Well they also sold out in the UK before I was even aware of them so I had no chance but aside from that.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 1, 2023

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Apparently last year the 40k one was described an "Imperium box" and contained a full Knight kit, two boxes of marine scouts, and 2-3 named primaris characters

Edit: I found the 2020 Australia list:

quote:

Knight Castellan
Kor'saaro Khan
Kayvaan Shrike
Scouts
Scouts with sniper rifles
And the UK version was:
Marine bikes
Arco-flagellants
Fenris wolves
Adrax Agatone
Master Lazarus
Mephiston
Redemptor dread

I rolled the dice on one this morning because it seems like reasonable odds of getting something useful. Anything that isn't can either be sold through my local club or on ebay, where prices tend to be fairly close to RRP for new-in-box kits.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 1, 2023

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Seems like it's pretty decent as long as you're genuinely ok with getting anything from the subgame you're buying and like it'd be great for folks who like kitbashing or just practicing painting and poo poo.

I wouldn't do it cause the only armies I'm interested in getting started in now are the genestealers and the likelihood of getting them is pretty low. Well they also sold out in the UK before I was even aware of them so I had no chance but aside from that.

The Underworlds or AOS Order boxes (or even the 40k one) would've been pretty good for me, I've been getting into painting lately so I'm looking for bargains on Whatever, yeah.

Looks like everything except the Aelves is sold out tho

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wouldn't have said to no the Elf box, but sadly I don't really have 80 bucks on hand for something like that.

Serperoth posted:

Looks like everything except the Aelves is sold out tho

Must be US side as everyone except the 40k box is available on the EU section.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I wouldn't have said to no the Elf box, but sadly I don't really have 80 bucks on hand for something like that.

Must be US side as everyone except the 40k box is available on the EU section.

I'm not from the US. They seem available, but the item page itself has a "No Longer Available Online" text, and you can't add them to cart either.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I'm not from the US. They seem available, but the item page itself has a "No Longer Available Online" text, and you can't add them to cart either.

Ah yeah, that seems to be the case for me as well. The underworlds one is listed as "No Longer Available" and Grand Order and even the 40k one is "Temporarily out of stock Online", which is an odd difference.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I know its extra, but that is begging for panel lining. Do a gloss varnish and get some tamiya panel lining fluid if you can, or try an oil wash. Both are like magic the way they get sucked into the recesses and can be wiped away if you go over the lines and well worth it.

You can do the same with an acrylic wash and a steady hand and tons of patience to fix mistakes, but honestly I wish I tried the enamel panel liners or oil washing sooner.

Why a gloss varnish? And what color panel liner would you recommend, brown?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Not... really? :raise:
I mean they're pretty honest what's going on, ad as we established a few posts up this isn't the first time they've done it as it's on its third year.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/01/warhammer-supply-drops-double-size-mystery-boxes-are-back/

:canada:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Panel liners are oil based washes, so you gloss varnish everything first to reduce surface friction, and then you can sort of dab the brush at the recess and it slides along the entire thing. I've never been brave enough to invest in it and try something new but apparently it's very good.

If you have a white model brown is probably better than black, but a light grey oil wash would probably be best.

Your model is red and gold (warm colours) and then white (neutral colour). You can use grey/blue with white but then you're mixing a lot of warm and cold colours all over the model. Brown will give a "warmer" white but then you have basically no cold colours so I'd go with a neutral white/grey to compliment the warm colours personally.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The gloss makes the model smoother to help capillary action draw the wash into the recesses

e: beaten, also yeah you shouldn’t go too harsh on the lining colour or it’ll be obvious in a not great way

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Gloss varnish is to protect the base coats and encourage the wash to run into the recesses only. I would even give it 2 coats of varnish because I found that my base coats rubbed off too easy during the cleanup phase: but that was extremely thin base coats I put on with an airbrush, so ymmv. Some people say you dont need to varnish at all, but I sure did.

Panel liners are actually enamel washes afaik... but the cleanup is the same as oil washes, you want some cotton buds/small wedges of kitchen paper and odourless thinners, and a very gentle touch.

Don't worry about the shininess, you can hit it with a matte or satin varnish after. As Kitchner said I'd probably go with the black panel liner for the white as it will give you a nice black/grey gradient. FWIW, because you can clean it up afterwards, it's very hard to apply too much. You can mostly clean it out of anywhere you go too hard, or push it t around to where it needs to be.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/01/sunday-preview-celebrate-the-new-year-with-arks-of-omen-battleforces-and-the-horus-heresy/

Our first Sunday preview of the new year, and next weekend is all about the first Arks of Omen book and Boarding actions.

As well as the new Chapter Approved book, of which I am sure we'll see more of during the week.
And the Battleforces we saw announced last week.

As what to expect on WarCo:

quote:

Here on Warhammer Community, you’ll be able to check out new models, find out all about New Year, New Army, see the first Metawatch of 2023, and get a closer look at Boarding Actions.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Well it was nice not having to buy any books for a while.

I don't mind arks of Omen because I really want to play the boarding action and stuff. I have no idea what they are going to put in the other 3 books if they have capitulated and decided not to introduce any more datasheet in these books.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm deciding whether it's worth subbing to warhammer+ for the masterclass videos, I check out this one cause it's free and immediately I see this

that poor brush

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Is this full army boarding action or?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Is this full army boarding action or?

As opposed to kill team yeah but you're still looking at like 500 points

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
No vehicles and monsters either I think.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I'm deciding whether it's worth subbing to warhammer+ for the masterclass videos, I check out this one cause it's free and immediately I see this

that poor brush

Yeah dont get paint in the metal part like that unless you're purposefully being sloppy with a terrible brush so you can base coat something quickly

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GHOST_BUTT posted:

As opposed to kill team yeah but you're still looking at like 500 points

500 points and probably using a detachment similar to Ark of Omens in matched play where you have basically whatever you want. Elites probably going to be more important than troops.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

500 points and probably using a detachment similar to Ark of Omens in matched play where you have basically whatever you want. Elites probably going to be more important than troops.

I really hope there's an xcom style overwatch mechanic otherwise melee armies are going to just mop the floor with shooty armies at close range

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hit this mother fucker with Apothecary White or Soulblight Grey if you want the laziest/easiest way to make it stop looking so flat. They you can go back through and do some edge highlights with white again. After that, consider adding some simple straight lines for unit markings in another color to break up the panels a bit. It'll really help.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Very new to this so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but highlighting those rivets would go a long way to break things up, in addition to any other highlighting you do

Very rough MS Paint example

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really hope there's an xcom style overwatch mechanic otherwise melee armies are going to just mop the floor with shooty armies at close range

Just make overwatch cost 0CP and maybe hit on 5s instead of 6s.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

that poor brush

To me there is so much masterclass level painting content on youtube for "free" or the ability to sub to a specific painter on patreon for even more stuff. I guess if you specifically want to focus on GW Eavy Metal techniques then Warhammer+ could make sense, but I have no idea how much content they have or how good it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tangy yet delightful posted:

To me there is so much masterclass level painting content on youtube for "free" or the ability to sub to a specific painter on patreon for even more stuff. I guess if you specifically want to focus on GW Eavy Metal techniques then Warhammer+ could make sense, but I have no idea how much content they have or how good it is.

Vince Venturella has almost everything covered just by himself. I am really glad he's upgraded his video quality