Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

"This will fool them unless they look at it." :smug:

It sounds kind of silly saying it, but I don't think having the ship able to pass as roughly having a Klingon ships profile is really a bad idea when you compare it to things like changing shield signatures and having Uhura speak infant level Klingon and it working. Most of these situations don't involve getting eyeballed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

It sounds kind of silly saying it, but I don't think having the ship able to pass as roughly having a Klingon ships profile is really a bad idea when you compare it to things like changing shield signatures and having Uhura speak infant level Klingon and it working. Most of these situations don't involve getting eyeballed.

Yeah, I don't think it was meant to be a D7 exactly, so much as a 'general klingon ship', which would've been possible with all the klingons being more split into houses at the start of Disco. They would've been passing themselves off as a Klingon ship from <different house to whoever they're talking to>

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I don't think it was meant to be a D7 exactly, so much as a 'general klingon ship', which would've been possible with all the klingons being more split into houses at the start of Disco. They would've been passing themselves off as a Klingon ship from <different house to whoever they're talking to>

This would have led to Captain tlhIlly posing as a Klingon who took the Discovery as her prize somehow

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Fuller's version of Discovery also wouldn't have been about the 'Mirror Universe'. It was described more like an alternate reality of what if she made different decisions at the Battle for the Binary Stars.

Presumably this would make Lorca just a regular damaged PTSD wartime Captain.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A Starfleet captain putting bombs on dead bodies in an extremely obvious war crime was certainly a thing that happened early on in Discovery.

A Captain, mind you. Not even an Admiral, yet. That sorta stuff comes naturally to Admirals, but Captains? Hell no.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I spent the last day of the year wearing my Starbase 80 T-shirt and I felt that it was appropriate to say goodbye to the trash fire 2022 because it was the worst!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

It wasn't on the tier of Spock's Brain, but it was no Measure of a Man either.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

All this talk about a Discovery more loyal to TOS is playing with my emotions, since I love TOS's aesthetic a lot and them dropping it was a mistake. But then you say that alongside wanting that, he approved the Klingorcs?! :psyduck: Very confused.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I really like the 1970s aesthetic Discovery designs that John Eaves produced under Fuller. Very different in look to traditional starships but you can see how they might work.

It's funny reading the interviews with Eaves because they mention that he really wanted round nacelles to fit in with TOS and then Fuller was like 'no this one has square-ish ones for a reason, it's an experimental ship and also it's meant to be able to hide as Klingon, don't worry, regular ships will have round nacelles' and then of course later on (maybe after the change in production) they apply the new pointier angular aethetic to all the ships and everything has flat nacelles and pointy jabs. And then in interviews with Eaves about redesigning the Enterprise later on he specifically says stuff like (paraphrasing) 'thank god they let me keep the nacelles round like TOS that would've been too much changing'.

For all that we like to rag on Eaves, for a lot of his Disco work the stories basically have him trying to respect TOS more and production pushing back and wanting things more radically changed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 1, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sad we didn't get the TOS Shenzou.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's a bit hard to tell, but the minor details on that, where the nacelles are angled upwards, and maybe they aren't stupidly long for no reason, it looks a bit better than what we actually got.

As for the Walker class, overall I like it but give it proper round nacelles drat it :argh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I spent the last day of the year wearing my Starbase 80 T-shirt and I felt that it was appropriate to say goodbye to the trash fire 2022 because it was the worst!

2016, 2020, and 2021 would like a word with you in the alley out back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

It's a bit hard to tell, but the minor details on that, where the nacelles are angled upwards, and maybe they aren't stupidly long for no reason, it looks a bit better than what we actually got.

To be fair, Discovery does look kinda wierd with short nacelles. Remember the first look we got?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8h9uNeIB_M

In that take they're clearly trying to have the engines thrust the design forward instead of streaking back.

Thought it must be said, that first look still looks a lot more TOS-compatible than the final product, especially if you think of Discovery as being built about halfway in between the original Connie being built and the Refit/TMP designs coming in.

Fun fact: one of the very last changes was changing discovery's glows from purple to blue. Up until the last minute all that engine stuff was purple, bussards, side of the nacelles, trails, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 1, 2023

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is there a timeline for expected Trek releases in 2023?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah once I have my coffee there'll be a Trek release at about 9:45

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Eimi posted:

As for the Walker class, overall I like it but give it proper round nacelles drat it :argh:

I like the Walker more now than I did before just because seeing all those Centaurs flying around recently made me realize there's an actual (if probably unintentional) design lineage there. You could even roll the NX and Akira into that line if you want, catamarans be damned

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CPColin posted:

Yeah once I have my coffee there'll be a Trek release at about 9:45

Had too much to drink on New Year's Eve, left a whole season of Picard in the alley behind the pub.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is there a timeline for expected Trek releases in 2023?

Picard premieres on February 16th, 2023. Actual Star Trek resumes sometime later this year when Strange New Worlds starts up in the summer after Discovery.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I hear Picard was written as a Star Wars series and they only switched it to Trek once Patrick Stewart got involved.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've become obsessed with the weird kitbashed ships from wolf 359, they're really fun as far as TNG lineage classes go

Kind of accidentally by being made out of kinda crappy commercial Enterprise D model kits they look like more primitive forebears to the Galaxy and Nebula classes. Also a couple of them have Ambassador style saucers or secondary hulls, which is neat and reinforces the feeling that there's a consistent throughline in that particular lost era of Trek

EDIT there are some fun fanon explanations for them here

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 1, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The New Orleans is a fantastic mini-galaxy and genuinely one of my favourite classes and should've been seen in other Trek. Cheyenne's a great update to the Constellation too.

(I could go the bottom mission pod on the Norleans though)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 1, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

The New Orleans is a fantastic mini-galaxy and genuinely one of my favourite classes and should've been seen in other Trek. Cheyenne's a great update to the Constellation too.

(I could go the bottom mission pod on the Norleans though)

Exactly the same, one of my favourites too! It's a cool little galaxy era frigate. But yea, the lower pod really spoils its lines.

I also really like the Challenger class. Though Nebula will always be my fave of that line.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
God the Disco is an ugly pos.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like the Discovery except for the parts that aren't the saucer, which is how I feel about all the collectible docking stands inexplicably not removed from the cool flying saucers.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

uvar posted:

I hear Picard was written as a Star Wars series and they only switched it to Trek once Patrick Stewart got involved.

You probably jest, but I could believe that of Picard easier than I could believe it of Prodigy. Leaving everything else aside, Prodigy is an animated show that looks really good. That poo poo takes time and effort to get right.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Barry Foster posted:

I've become obsessed with the weird kitbashed ships from wolf 359, they're really fun as far as TNG lineage classes go

Kind of accidentally by being made out of kinda crappy commercial Enterprise D model kits they look like more primitive forebears to the Galaxy and Nebula classes. Also a couple of them have Ambassador style saucers or secondary hulls, which is neat and reinforces the feeling that there's a consistent throughline in that particular lost era of Trek

EDIT there are some fun fanon explanations for them here

The kitbashes are awesome, I was obsessed with them as a kid and now there is so much more information on them to go down rabbit holes instead of just blurry vhs pauses and small photos in Star Trek Encyclopedias

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Everyone posted:

You probably jest, but I could believe that of Picard easier than I could believe it of Prodigy. Leaving everything else aside, Prodigy is an animated show that looks really good. That poo poo takes time and effort to get right.

I remember somewhere Chabon saying he would have been happy with Picard being a show about an old man and his dog solving town mysteries. But I’m sure CBS required a Star Trek show to be in space, and then you have Patrick Stewart coming in with the prerequisites of “I don’t want it to be Star Trek and also I want to punch and gently caress”.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

uvar posted:

I hear Picard was written as a good series and they only switched it to crap once Patrick Stewart got involved.

Fixed.

MillennialVulcan posted:

God the Disco is an ugly pos.

I've come to like it, from certain angles it looks very sleek and fast. Though Gold/Bronze color 4 lyfe, the refit sucks rear end.

In other news, I binged through the rest of Prodigy, and I really like it. It's up there with LDS and SNW in my book for Nu Trek. As cartoony as the kids could be, the Starfleet people were appropriately Serious. I liked that they showed how the Federation could be harmful and discriminate, but also how good it could be both as it is and as something for people to want to be a part of. I do think it was a bit of a handwave that they'd throw aside the Augment prohibitions so fast and let Dal join, but they didn't kick out Bashir so :shrug:

Looking forward to S2 when it becomes even more explicitly Voyager Phase Two.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I remember somewhere Chabon saying he would have been happy with Picard being a show about an old man and his dog solving town mysteries. But I’m sure CBS required a Star Trek show to be in space, and then you have Patrick Stewart coming in with the prerequisites of “I don’t want it to be Star Trek and also I want to punch and gently caress”.

I would unironically love to to see what Michael Chabon's pure, undisturbed vision of Picard looked like, because it every time he tries to describe "his" Star Trek: Picard, it sounds really fascinating. The guy is a competent writer, he was just a weak showrunner because he had no TV experience, he let Stewart, Goldsman, Kurtzman and the other 50,000 executive producers on the show bully him into comprising his ideals, and he wasn't in the right head space to tackle the project anyway because he was splitting his time having to care for his dying father while working on the show.

And at least he stuck out the whole drat season to the end even when it clearly started to grate on him, rather than just doing two episodes and walking off the set and disappearing into the night like Terry Matalas did on Season 2.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 1, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

And at least he stuck out the whole drat season to the end even when it clearly started to grate on him, rather than just doing two episodes and walking off the set and disappearing into the night like Terry Matalas did on Season 2.

The most frustrating part of Picard Seasons 1 and 2 is there is interesting stuff/good ideas in there but they never land on anything, especially in Season 2 so its all unfocused and unfulfilled.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard S1 felt like they switched the entire direction of what the show was going to be about halfway through. Which I think is literally what happened.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Picard S1 felt like they switched the entire direction of what the show was going to be about halfway through. Which I think is literally what happened.

Yeah, Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Season 1 were one story, Episodes 5 to 10 were a completely different one. Once they get to Freecloud, the show goes off the rails and it never recovers.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The most frustrating part of Picard Seasons 1 and 2 is there is interesting stuff/good ideas in there but they never land on anything, especially in Season 2 so its all unfocused and unfulfilled.

I think I'd still take this over most of what Disco has been doing, since usually when they land on something it's kinda just nothing particularly interesting, plus it takes them 13+ episodes to do it every year instead of 10. At least Picard has been leaving behind some potentially useful pieces for other, hopefully better shows to build on later

Disco's second season is kind of an exception since the Pike/Spock stuff was all worthwhile and they at least hit the big time skip at the end which was kinda necessary

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Season 1 were one story, Episodes 5 to 10 were a completely different one. Once they get to Freecloud, the show goes off the rails and it never recovers.

IIRC they had to go back and do heavy reshoots in episodes 1 and 2 to make it even semi-coherent, but even then lmao

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

I do think it was a bit of a handwave that they'd throw aside the Augment prohibitions so fast and let Dal join, but they didn't kick out Bashir so :shrug:

I feel like both Bashir and Dal are parts of an ongoing discussion within Starfleet about augments and acceptance and coming around to the idea that it’s a prejudice they could do without.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

IIRC they had to go back and do heavy reshoots in episodes 1 and 2 to make it even semi-coherent, but even then lmao

Honestly, if I'm being brutally realistic here, the moment where Picard slips the rails and begins to spiral out of control is when they kill Dajh at the end of Episode 1. Everything that follows from that choice is "oh no, we've painted ourselves into a corner right at the start of the story and we can't get out, help" following by them fishflopping across a 10,000 square foot room covered in red paint trying to reach the exit.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Delsaber posted:

I think I'd still take this over most of what Disco has been doing, since usually when they land on something it's kinda just nothing particularly interesting, plus it takes them 13+ episodes to do it every year instead of 10. At least Picard has been leaving behind some potentially useful pieces for other, hopefully better shows to build on later

Disco's second season is kind of an exception since the Pike/Spock stuff was all worthwhile and they at least hit the big time skip at the end which was kinda necessary

I haven't watched Disco. Picard Season 1 isn't as bad as people here make it out to be, it just falls apart in the dumbest way possible when they had a chance to have a real Star Trek type of feel in moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

I haven't watched Disco. Picard Season 1 isn't as bad as people here make it out to be, it just falls apart in the dumbest way possible when they had a chance to have a real Star Trek type of feel in moment.

You're in that regard. Picard Season 1 comfortably Mid. It's a middling TV show that desperately does not want to be Star Trek but is mostly watchable all the way through.

Picard Season 2 is a truly terrible season of television that also desperately does not want to be Star Trek.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like both Bashir and Dal are parts of an ongoing discussion within Starfleet about augments and acceptance and coming around to the idea that it’s a prejudice they could do without.

I enjoyed the angle of "is Dal actually....augmented? No, he's just a weird mix that comes out pretty average at the end."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

I enjoyed the angle of "is Dal actually....augmented? No, he's just a weird mix that comes out pretty average at the end."

Janeway's little dunk on him at the tribunal to that regard is just perfect :discourse: