Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if turn based combat gives you a clinical depressive disorder, that seems like, a you problem

It’s a joke based on this person saying Bloodborne gave them depression. Really I just don’t like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
It’s not really turned based when it’s an asymmetrical deck builder I’ll tell you for what

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Stux posted:

skill issue

Nah, just playstyle preference. I did beat Bloodborne in a relatively reasonable amount of time, it was just not very fun for me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'm with the person up thread who likes their combat fast and twitchy so I have never gotten into Souls and its very deliberate combat

everyone says i'd like Sekiro but the n*zis at Activision refuse to put it on sale....

I bought Sekiro on sale just a couple weeks ago. It's on sale right now!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
thats still a skill issue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
the skill is flexibility and adaptability

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Genuinely surprised by how much I Was A Teenage Exocolonist didn't appear in goon lists that games like Citizen Sleeper, Scarlet Hollow and Pentiment did show up in.

To be fair, I think all of those games are superior to it and ordered my list as such. I just would've figured "choice and consequence VN where you get to make poker hands out of your memories in card form" would've been a bigger hit.
I'm probably not going to 100% it but I spent like 3 days getting the endings I did (including a surprisingly solid and accomplished first run that only fell over at the last hurdle).

It didn’t click with me and I love story games.

My first and only playthrough saw me miss the final (?) big important story skill check by one point because I wasn’t using a guide or min maxing. I won’t use spoilers. But I had to have, say, a 90 in a given stat to pass and I had an 89 at that moment. So missing by one point after 3 hours of playing caused me to basically be unable to make any decisions from that point forward (and it was… the very very very bad ending).

Loving these lists overall and I wish I could afford a switch to play xenoblade because wow that game looks incredible. I am so going to get NORCO, Pentiment, and Noita when I can afford em. Pentiment looks so good!

Grateful to all of you for a wonderful thread with great suggestions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you cant just call everything a skill issue. that is illegal

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Stux posted:

the skill is flexibility and adaptability

So if I prefer Cheddar cheese to Stilton then I have a skill issue?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you cant just call everything a skill issue. that is illegal

you can't blame them, there's no way to build muscle memory for understanding criticism so souls fans are forced to fall back to get good. it's sad, really

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I am one of the goons who played the trianglestrats demo and thought “eww”, one day I will give it a proper shake

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I will be picking up This Way Madness Lies at some point because of this thread because it sounds like extremely my poo poo, and maybe like the battle system is different than Cthulhu Saves the World, which I didn't really like.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jay Rust posted:

I am one of the goons who played the trianglestrats demo and thought “eww”, one day I will give it a proper shake

I am pretty convinced at this point that the slow start in Tristrat was probably by intent.

It speaks to the confidence that the devs had in the game. They wanted the early part of the game to be evocative of peacetime and so naturally battles are scarce and a player can sense the difference when poo poo finally hits the fan.

Additionally I feel like all the work they do in those early chapters does a lot of the heavy lifting for establishing you in Norzelia so that decisions you make and the reactions to them from the wider cast make sense deeper in the game.

I think one of Tristrat's greatest strengths is that no character feels like they pick up an idiot ball at any time and that if you look at how they act, it's always consistent with the beliefs the game has established for them.

And if you don't feel like you can be patient with the game for three hours, then the devs are fine with you tapping out.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boring on purpose? Genius

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Natural 20 posted:

I am pretty convinced at this point that the slow start in Tristrat was probably by intent.

It speaks to the confidence that the devs had in the game. They wanted the early part of the game to be evocative of peacetime and so naturally battles are scarce and a player can sense the difference when poo poo finally hits the fan.

Additionally I feel like all the work they do in those early chapters does a lot of the heavy lifting for establishing you in Norzelia so that decisions you make and the reactions to them from the wider cast make sense deeper in the game.

I think one of Tristrat's greatest strengths is that no character feels like they pick up an idiot ball at any time and that if you look at how they act, it's always consistent with the beliefs the game has established for them.

And if you don't feel like you can be patient with the game for three hours, then the devs are fine with you tapping out.

filter for people with no attention span

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

morallyobjected posted:

I will be picking up This Way Madness Lies at some point because of this thread because it sounds like extremely my poo poo, and maybe like the battle system is different than Cthulhu Saves the World, which I didn't really like.

It's turn-based combat very similar to Cosmic Star Heroine where each character gets a limited number of active skills and three passives. Debuff skills inflict vulnerabilities while others "detonate" them, and these abilities are often split between party members so you want to choose the right balance for the team. Most spells often take on different traits when a character is fully charged up, so you sometimes want to be strategic about the order in which you cast them. All this being said the combat is quite easy on Normal and my party was never really in danger of wiping at any point. The most fun part is finding the best team configuration.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah I guess I had the opposite problem in the early game where I was interested in seeing how the story was developing but the actual combat mechanics gave me anxiety because of how momentum-based it is and having a unit one tile out of position can lead them to getting hit three times in a row and dying immediately, which meant I got really bogged down in trying to do battles "perfectly" until someone had to tell me that the XP loss from having a character taken out is actually not that impactful lol

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

you can't blame them, there's no way to build muscle memory for understanding criticism so souls fans are forced to fall back to get good. it's sad, really

You don’t like Sekiro, so your opinion is meaningless here

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
That was overly rude, I apologize.

Instead, consider Jedi Fallen Order as a solid 7/10.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

It’s so funny seeing goons get mad about souls games. I’ll just let Elden Ring’s sales numbers do the talking. As well as the eventual GOTY in this thread.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's turn-based combat very similar to Cosmic Star Heroine where each character gets a limited number of active skills and three passives. Debuff skills inflict vulnerabilities while others "detonate" them, and these abilities are often split between party members so you want to choose the right balance for the team. Most spells often take on different traits when a character is fully charged up, so you sometimes want to be strategic about the order in which you cast them. All this being said the combat is quite easy on Normal and my party was never really in danger of wiping at any point. The most fun part is finding the best team configuration.

as long as it's not the weird thing of "enemies get stronger and stronger the more turns you take", I'm sure it will be fine

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

there's a few coming onto the scene like kayleigh mckee but she's not in video games yet to my knowledge

she is Testament in Strive!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Relax Or DIE posted:

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Natural 20 posted:

So if I prefer Cheddar cheese to Stilton then I have a skill issue?

would not use flavor as my counterpoint when the term acquired taste exidts :greencube:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like if I continue to try to engage with this, it's just going to derail the thread from talking about things we like.

So yeah, sod that.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hate when good threads turn lovely

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if turn based combat gives you a clinical depressive disorder, that seems like, a you problem

If you are playing chrono cross its 100% the battle theme composers fault

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

biceps crimes posted:

Da Stux Effect

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

biceps crimes posted:

that's why you have to take proper care of them, make sure they get watered every day and so forth.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I played the demo of Triangle Strategy and I'll admit my response to seeing it so often here was "oh, a game eventually started happening after all? Nice."

Being on Game Pass or PS+ seems to be a huge boon for smaller or indie stuff

Yeah it's hard to justify spending 20-25$ on an indie game because it looks nice but it's very easy to be like "oh cool this just showed up let's play it" on stuff you haven't heard of

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've already rebought a few indie games I first found on Gamepass through Steam because I felt strongly about them and/or just wanted their achievements to be on my Steam profile instead of M$'s crappy analogue.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'm with the person up thread who likes their combat fast and twitchy so I have never gotten into Souls and its very deliberate combat

everyone says i'd like Sekiro but the n*zis at Activision refuse to put it on sale....

It goes on sale pretty frequently, but almost never below 30 bux. And yeah, it's on the shortlist for best action game ever made.

hatty posted:

Sekiro is worth upwards of $60

also this

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Thank you, GOTY thread, for some cool and interesting recommendations.

I've added the following games to my wishlist:
Citizen Sleeper, The Last Spell, Harvestella, and I was a Teenage Exocolonist

and I've bought the following:
Library of Ruina (note: I need to check how long to beat before purchasing and starting a game so that I know that I'm getting myself into a 100+ hour playthrough) and Lacuna.

Looking forward to seeing how everything ranks this year.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The coolest bit of these threads are the all the weird and wonderful indie games that people dig up

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
not my fualt someone decided to run into the goty thread to call bloodborne one of the worst games theyve ever played. and yet ill shoulder this blame. much like another person i can think of, from the bible.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
godspeed you, Studas

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Shoutout to the one goon who put PowerPro Baseball on the list.

I've been watching a lot of streamers playing it, and it's getting me through the cold, harsh winter. I don't know of any game series I wish got ported over more than that, but sadly we're stuck with half-effort The Show sequels.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Axel Serenity posted:

Shoutout to the one goon who put PowerPro Baseball on the list.

I've been watching a lot of streamers playing it, and it's getting me through the cold, harsh winter. I don't know of any game series I wish got ported over more than that, but sadly we're stuck with half-effort The Show sequels.

super mega baseball 3 is right there! they even mentioned it in their post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Relax Or DIE posted:

godspeed you, Studas

Stonah surely