Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

On that note, aside from Meathook Massacre what are the black sweepers in historic? Languish, Crippling Fear, anything else good?

I don't know of all of them but there's also Blood on the Snow and Shadow's Verdict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

On that note, aside from Meathook Massacre what are the black sweepers in historic? Languish, Crippling Fear, anything else good?
Crux of Fate is a big one, Yahenni's Expertise can be good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Extinction Event but much more situational ofc.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Extinction Event but much more situational ofc.

EE should've been white and so should've Embercleave but yall aint ready for that conversation

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Mr_Companie posted:

First time making mythic or entering the highest level of competition for any game, really. I was struggling around Diamond 2 and 3 for a couple of weeks, stepped away from the game for a little bit and rethought my approach. I ended up building an Izzet Artifact deck and dropped to the bottom of diamond before things started clicking, at which point I was able to climb through to mythic in couple days. This year sucked dick so I'll take the wins where I can get them.

Congrats, been meaning to try out that deck after the mythic grind.

Ended up trying Mardu Angels first, which is tons of fun. You have a lot of room for variation with how you build the top end, but any deck with access to red / black has the tools to hang on until you get there.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I dn't think there's anything meta but I'd be surprised if you can't make a decent winrate at low level with Big Green plus a bit of sac fodder and SKyfisher Spiders. Not really sure how to best build it for the current meta though, and definitely not sure it's gonna be cheap.

Thanks for this reply! I'll check out that archetype plus those additions, at least I'll learn some stuff about a deck type I know nothing about. :)

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Cry of the carnarium is another black sweeper option for historic with bonus exile.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So, wo do we suspect the S-Tier super sweaty queue Historic Brawl commanders are? Magda and Esika for sure. I haven't seen the new clock guy that much but I hear he's busted. I get matched against Sythis a lot as Magda but I think she kind of sucks (Sythis, not Magda).

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 30, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

So, wo do we suspect the S-Tier super sweaty queue Historic Brawl commanders are? Magda and Esika for sure. I haven't seen the new clock guy that much but I hear he's busted. I get matched against Sythis a lot as Magda but I think she kind of sucks (Sythis, not Magda).

According to Untapped.gg I played 20 games with Baral the previous season (ie before BRO released, roughly 3 months ago) and the commanders I played more than once were:

Sythis, Esika, Teferi (3 4), Golos

And the ones I played exactly once were

Teferi (5), Halana and Alena, Jakob Hauken, Niv-Mizzet UUURRR, Baral, Tasha

So that might give you a clue about who's in the hell queue

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Mr_Companie posted:

First time making mythic or entering the highest level of competition for any game, really. I was struggling around Diamond 2 and 3 for a couple of weeks, stepped away from the game for a little bit and rethought my approach. I ended up building an Izzet Artifact deck and dropped to the bottom of diamond before things started clicking, at which point I was able to climb through to mythic in couple days. This year sucked dick so I'll take the wins where I can get them.

Wanted to give you a quick shoutout for this deck! I added a couple Tezzerets and Saheelis to the sideboards for BO3 but I had a good time playing this and crushing an Urza Planeswalker deck. Respect!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

RAAAAH! Mythic!

(like, 19 hours before season resets, BUT STILL.)

The most interesting deck I saw on my run-up was mono-red running Cemetary Gatekeeper and very nearly would have killed me if I hadn't stabilized with a barrage of Lunarch Veterans and two-in-ones with Jadar and Adeline.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 31, 2022

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Giada, Font of Hope seems like its in that top-tier as well.

Clock-man is pretty annoying, for sure.

edit: Maybe Yawgmoth but I've never used him. I get matched up against the 5 color decks almost exclusively when I run Shrines and sometimes with Lilliana.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 31, 2022

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
I decided to download this and play some nerdcards for old time's sake. I think the last expansion I played was Mercadian Masques somewhere around there, but I'm having a lot of fun although drat it's changed a lot. Anyway, I've never played MtG on the computer before so for all the old expansions that are nonstandard, do those stop being available? If I want to collect them should I be spending my gold on those sooner rather than later? Are they planning on adding previous expansions as well?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For older sets you don't really want to buy booster packs, instead you'd use wildcards to craft the few cards from those sets that you're interested in playing with.

Every card is craftable and doesn't stop being craftable. The only exception has been special cosmetic variants of a tiny number of cards, where you can still craft the regular version but can't get the special cosmetic variant any more.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
Okay, that's cool I don't really care about the cosmetics, I just want all the cards. Do I just automatically get the commons then for all the old ones and I just have to buy the boosters for new stuff?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dopilsya posted:

I decided to download this and play some nerdcards for old time's sake. I think the last expansion I played was Mercadian Masques somewhere around there, but I'm having a lot of fun although drat it's changed a lot. Anyway, I've never played MtG on the computer before so for all the old expansions that are nonstandard, do those stop being available? If I want to collect them should I be spending my gold on those sooner rather than later? Are they planning on adding previous expansions as well?
stick with the current stuff as that's where you'll get the most free packs and such anyways. then as you become familiar with current metas, typical deck builds, and modern card styles(Planeswalkers for example were added a good bit after Masques and are now in pretty much every set), you can start branching out to older playstyles like historic and explorer, historic includes all the cards available on arena including digital-only ones, while explorer is a larger card pool than standard but does not allow digital only or modified cards like historic.

wildcards are pretty obnoxious to acquire when you're first starting out, so please follow the guide in the OP of the thread because it will help you get started and provide assistance in redeeming the multitude of promo codes to get tons of cosmetics and free packs, 3 from every single set on arena, for example. those free packs will net you a good number of wildcards to start out, and you can ask for advice in this thread for decks to start out with or aim towards depending on what playstyles you like the most(aggro, control, tempo, etc)

or you can dump a bunch(and I mean a bunch, it adds up fast) and buy a ton of gems or piles of packs for old sets. but that still won't get you full sets of everything, you'd have to go full whale for that. starting out sticking to doing your dailies and whatever weekly events pop up, and maybe picking up the battle pass, will net you a significant amount of gold over time that will let you build a solid collection steadily for free, or almost free if you pick up the battle pass.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 31, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I cannot stress enough how much you do not need to acquire draft chaff like 'this sets Wind Drake' from 4 core sets ago... there's no way to cash out so you are straight up paying cash dollars on an entertainment product so only spend what you would normally on stuff that appeals to you.

the one thing I will encourage you to buy is the starter pack because for $20 it's a great value to get going

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
To be clear, I was not planning on spending any real-world money, just via grinding gold and playing budget decks with the other low level shlubs. But it sounds like the best option would be to do brawl format or drafts so that way I can actually get a sense of direction in the game without burning through all the in-game currency and then just use wildcards to get the cards I want.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you open boosters of the newer sets, some of the cards you open will turn into wildcards. If you stick with the game, you will end up with so many common and uncommon wildcards that you can get four copies of literally every card from the older sets that wouldn't be a complete embarrassment to put in a constructed deck.

Rare and Mythic (a new rarity that got introduced above rare) wildcards are harder to come by and you'll want to be more careful about where and how you spend them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dopilsya posted:

To be clear, I was not planning on spending any real-world money, just via grinding gold and playing budget decks with the other low level shlubs. But it sounds like the best option would be to do brawl format or drafts so that way I can actually get a sense of direction in the game without burning through all the in-game currency and then just use wildcards to get the cards I want.
drafts will eat through gold extremely fast and yield only a fraction of what you put into it if you're not good at drafting, especially for a set like Brother's War which has largely been figured out by this point. I recommend asking for help when drafting, maybe joining a goon discord to do live help initially if there's someone who will help, and yeah, playing in regular play, ranked, and brawl queues are free ways to complete dailies.

without spending any real life cash, it will be of course slower going, but you will absolutely be able to work your way up eventually. definitely use every single code possible on this page for all the free stuff I mentioned before, that will give you a small jumpstart.

oh, right, duh, play Jumpstart! it's a weird new way to play magic where you are given the choice between a few preconstructed half decks, pick one, then pick a second half from another few, and then you just play against people using their own mashed together 40-card decks made up of two themed halves! it's pretty good and will net you a LOT of cards very quickly for relatively little cost.

if you do decide to put any money at all into the game, I personally don't put much money into it often besides to buy the mastery pass for each set, which yields a ton of packs, gold, gems etc beyond the initial cost's value by the time you've completed it. if you plan on playing frequently, it's a worthy investment out of anything purchased with cash from the game.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been free to play for years now, and it takes a lot of time to get your account to a state where you can play as you want.
Specifically, it will take you two rotations until you have a good cardbase for standard.

The infinite commons and uncommons thing will take until at least the next rotation, or also two rotations if you enjoy pauper or artisan like I do.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
Got it, thanks for all the advice, everyone. I used all those promo codes so that gave me some stuff. I might avoid drafting then until the next block or whatever it's called nowadays comes around so I start on a more even footing. That jumpstart sounds like a good way to learn the ropes too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just remember if you're not happy with your jumpstart picks you can dump it and grab a new random bunch to pick from.

There's also people who have found the "optimal" jumpstart combos and just spend all day stomping people with them, which sucks but I'm not sure how wotc would deal with it without alienating newbies. Maybe have a like 10-15 win limit, then you have to reroll for a new deck?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sometimes I spend gold on old sets if the set has a critical mass of useful cards (like Eldraine) but I'm also aware that doing so is gambling and unless I get lucky it's strictly better to buy whatever is new, especially with the new Gold Pack incentive

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Rusko decks are so tedious to play against, perfectly valid deck I just don’t want to play against it in hbrawl

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Dopilsya posted:

Got it, thanks for all the advice, everyone. I used all those promo codes so that gave me some stuff. I might avoid drafting then until the next block or whatever it's called nowadays comes around so I start on a more even footing. That jumpstart sounds like a good way to learn the ropes too.
One last thing: since drafting is really the "best" way to complete sets and get packs (if you are a 60+% win rate player) without spending money or buying the Golden Packs and other boosters, be sure to join the goon MTG discord (currently named Ashnod's Holiday Workshop) and @ the Limited crowd or just ask for viewers when you stream drafts. We are all super willing to piggyback on your draft picking and playing, and it's also good practice for us viewers to consider lines of play when we watch people live!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think I ran into the same problem, and addressed it by rebuilding the deck from the all-access brawl page, otherwise it defaults to non-all-access brawl rules.

Thanks for this advice from several pages ago btw!!

Here is a Cube Draft bo1 I have from last wk, gotta finish it soon, probably play it like this but curious if anyone has any advice on the build? Can see how I speculated and am not sure overall on cube choices. I think run the Scarab God but not Bastion? Don't run Jin-Gitaxias??

Happy holidays thread!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Had a crash in a QD game (bad morning, 2/6 oof).

Customer service is on it this fuckin new year's morning, I got my refund within about a minute and a half of sending the ticket lmao.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
In Arena deckbuilder the filter for Pauper shows me cards from standard and alchemy cards, is this what the decathlon event uses as well? Although it mentions persistent petitioners as banned and that isn't even in there.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How long do these first decathlon (and I guess each set of) events last?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So is this Decathalon token basically just for going pro or are just really good and wanna win some cash? IIRC these tokens are just used to get into other phantom events, to compete for play points or more tokens. I just need cards to eventually play decks I want in formats I want, so this is just a bad route unless I'm suddenly a lot better at playing competitively with jumpstart packs. Jumpstart is still fun so no harm going in at least once, went with a black/green sacrifice/graveyard combo hoping it shakes out.

edit: deck wasn't terrible just way too slow. bo3 would be more fun i thiink

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 1, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Happy New Year thread!

As a gift, I'm giving you (or two of you) codes for the recent starter decks (decklists here)

Spoilered just in case

Code redeemed

Code redeemed

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 2, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This version of jump start is not fun unless you luck into a good aggro pair because everything else is incredibly lovely theme decks. The dragon one is the worst pile I've ever seen in my life

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I got lucky and got bloodthirsty (VOW black vampires) and dead and buried (MID golgari graveyard) and went 7-1 with it. I faced about three agro RW agro decks and I buried them under value and incidental lifegain. Turns out the thing agro decks hate to see is a blocker with 2 power. I had no problem trading creatures with agro when my creatures get better the more things die. These decks have about 18 lands in them so it's easy for agro to flood if you stall them with one for one trades. Must just be luck.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Aw, goddamnit, the retro PC pixel snow-covered lands are on sale in the shop.

Technowolf posted:

Happy New Year thread!

As a gift, I'm giving you (or two of you) codes for the recent starter decks (decklists here)

Spoilered just in case

D7DFD-DECB9-16375-O1AE7-A171B

9EA7E-54CBF-DBE43-B4A1E-F4A44

1: Code not found
2: Code already redeemed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i like the idea of the decathlon but i don't think i want to spend any gold on it lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jump In sucks anyone got a good pauper deck?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aw, goddamnit, the retro PC pixel snow-covered lands are on sale in the shop.

1: Code not found
2: Code already redeemed.

Edited the first code because I literally could not tell if it was a 0 or a O

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just got an email that has the event schedule:

Jan 1-3: Jump In / Pauper
Jan 4-6: Sealed Mixed Dominaria / Standard
Jan 7-9: Bro Traditional Draft / Alchemy
Jan 10-12: Neo Bot Draft / Traditional Explorer
Jan 13-15: Omniscience Bot Draft / On the Edge

I did win my 2nd Jump In with Saboteurs Vitality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Technowolf posted:

Edited the first code because I literally could not tell if it was a 0 or a O

I have now claimed the first code.