Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kashuno posted:

Jump In sucks anyone got a good pauper deck?

Black red sacrifice. Very fast and very consistent. The deck pretty much builds itself. Eaten alive, deadly dispute, body dropper, blast runners, gixian skull flayer, gibbering barricade for reach, 20 lands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newershadow
May 18, 2014

elbkaida posted:

In Arena deckbuilder the filter for Pauper shows me cards from standard and alchemy cards, is this what the decathlon event uses as well? Although it mentions persistent petitioners as banned and that isn't even in there.

It is supposed to be Historic Pauper (per the official rules at the bottom of the linked page) but I think the only Pauper card filter they have is Alchemy, which means it doesn't work correctly.

7-0'd Jump In with Excavation/Transience; my rares were Black Market Connections and Steel Seraph, Seraph basically won every game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Didn't win the last game. Had to mulligan both times, they first had much more value with sac and unearth strats (Mishra was pretty good there!), almost won regardless but they had the crucial burn to the head, second game they just ran me over because they drew aggressively instead of value-ly. Fine with the 2-1!

Started a Premier then, because I like the variety. Green was ridiculously open. I got two (!) Yotian Dissidents too, but I'm actually not playing them in the final deck. I didn't end up getting that many artifacts, and I think the consistency of a mono-colored deck is worth much more than their potential value of adding, like, two counters. Same argument for the Phalanx Vanguard. I also don't need Disenchant because I got three fight spells.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d269a24972ed42d1a703ad507a3fd087

Obviously I'm gonna win regardless of what I do because I opened motherfucking Titania's Command :v:. Regardless, would anybody build this differently?
This went 7-2!

Amusingly, I never saw Titania's Command except in the final game, where it crushed my mana-screwed opponent quite handily. Like the last mono-Green deck I had, this was a blast to play and performed very, very well.

Algid posted:

Star and lantern does nothing except cycle 2 and maybe taps for stalwart, you have no artifact or sac or prowess synergy at all.

You do have 4 self mill and fauna shaman so pallbearer is better than normal, and perimeter patrol is an on rate body, I would play both.
This was a good point by the way

Lone Goat posted:

Unearth is a major part of this format so no, Lantern does not do "nothing".
And so was this.

I exchanged the star for a patrol, which was only ever a body, but the deck definitely wanted those, so I didn't regret the swap. The Lantern was very useful, in all three games I played today I had it early and it ate two Mutts and two Couriers. Always play it imo

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Ultimatefire posted:

Cube Draft bo1:

Did way better than I thought I would! Never got to cast Approach of the Second Sun tho, which was my first pick and led me to white/blue, def could have replaced it with something more immediately impactful in the deckbuild. Felidar Retreat and Scarab God were MVP's, Shark Typhoon won me some mirrors since cycling is harder to counter. Lurrus didn't really get value from recursion but did draw serious hate - shoutout to when I ran Loran into death to recast and had to RTFC lol

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

About 50% of Pauper people are running some variation on this and I can't blame them; it works.

code:
4x Lunarch Veteran
4x Patriar's Humiliation
4x Steadfast Unicorn
4x Fierce Retribution
4x Flaming Fist Duskguard
4x Spirited Companion
4x Inspiring Overseer
4x Priest of Ancient Lore
4x Blessed Hippogriff
4x Search Party Captain
20x Plains

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hammer Bro. posted:

About 50% of Pauper people are running some variation on this and I can't blame them; it works.

code:
4x Lunarch Veteran
4x Patriar's Humiliation
4x Steadfast Unicorn
4x Fierce Retribution
4x Spirited Companion
4x Inspiring Overseer
4x Blessed Hippogriff
4x Search Party Captain
20x Plains

Yeah I hate these events because everyone just looks up the best thing. This deck even beats my stupidly good sac deck. For maximum obnoxiousness you can run 4 recommision

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Drafted BR sacrifice/draw. Clay Revenant, Scrapwork Mutt, Gargling annointer is so good. I won every game those three showed up in.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lone Goat posted:

It's funny how many other Rusko players snap concede when they see the mirror.

My biggest complaint about the Rusko mirror (like most control mirrors) is that the games can take forever. After I run into it two or three times I just bail immediately (and usually play something more aggressive like Gruul).

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I just got my first trophy in Quick Draft!

I'm surprised it did so well without any Dissidents, but having evasive creatures and several ways of pumping them seemed to make up for that.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

code:
4x Lunarch Veteran
4x Patriar's Humiliation
4x Steadfast Unicorn
4x Fierce Retribution
4x Spirited Companion
4x Inspiring Overseer
4x Blessed Hippogriff
4x Search Party Captain
20x Plains

I went 5-3 and 7-0, so basically 3 free packs. With the general power level so low consistency and card advantage is very good. Haven't tried out jump in yet.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Looks like it is Alchemy pauper after all? Anyone has a U tempo list for that?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

precision posted:

Yeah I hate these events this game because everyone just looks up the best thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mono red is cancer

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

precision posted:

Holy Christ this U/W control deck everyone is running in standard is THE loving WORST

precision posted:

Okay I'm definitely done playing standard for a minute. Seriously every time I've logged on lately I play exactly one match and it's some insanely aggravating bullshit. Just now it was jeskai reanimating One With the Multiverse and Portal to Phyrexia

Just, loving play solitaire. Or commander

precision posted:

!!!!!!! I hate this game! I've never hated this game in 30 years like I hate this game now

Fight rigging decks that ALWAYS have a bomb tucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

precision posted:

Okay yeah I think I agree that mono black is way too good. The issue is just how many cards it can draw. Morbid opportunist, tenacious D, invoke... it's just stupid lol

precision posted:

Mono red is cancer
is there a deck people are allowed to play against you op

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

Mono red is cancer
what deck are you playing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

what deck are you playing.

precision posted:

Instead of quitting standard I just made s mono red deck to vent my frustrations [...]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so they are the cancer...

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The only thing I rage out about is when I get matched with actual real decks when I use the starter decks to finish a daily because I don't have any mono green decks otherwise.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Standard fuckin blows

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Tried out the pauper event and went 6-3 with this UR deck:

Has a reasonable matchup against white weenies due to end the festivities but I also played a number of other UR decks (seemed slightly worse) and a RG spells deck which dumpstered me. Gaeas gift seems quite good for that style of play but not sure what kind of topend that deck has.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Buddy, complaining about decks is the entire purpose of this thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Simply Simon posted:

is there a deck people are allowed to play against you op

Have I ever complained about midrange?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And yes, I made a mono red deck to vent my frustrations

I hardly ever play it

If all you play is something like mono red to grind wins, then you don't enjoy the actual game. Go play cookie clicker

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

precision posted:

Have I ever complained about midrange?

Mono-black is a midrange deck.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
7-0'd the Jump In, haven't played Magic in quite a while so feels good. My deck was basically flyers + removal.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

WarEternal posted:

7-0'd the Jump In, haven't played Magic in quite a while so feels good. My deck was basically flyers + removal.

Which packs? It's so hard to look up resources since even old packs get shuffled around each set, but wizards only bother to add the new packs while just leaving broken links for to packs that no longer exist.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Algid posted:

Which packs? It's so hard to look up resources since even old packs get shuffled around each set, but wizards only bother to add the new packs while just leaving broken links for to packs that no longer exist.

Vitality + Muscle. deck looked like this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's okay, i fixed it

this isn't even a mono white build lmao

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gonna say that Vitality might be the MVP in this jump-in event.

Specifically that silly flying elephant guy. Gives you so many options, and at the worst case a bonus flier.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Standard fuckin blows

I've been playing more explorer and been having a ball. I'm currently trying to discover a way to quickly ramp to 6 white mana so I can slam dunk Farewell vs Greasefang/Monogreen.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

For new players getting into arena, by design, Arena is primarily for drafting. They have constructed, but only so that they can convince you the fake cards you're buying are worth anything. Otherwise its kinda an afterthought, which is why everything that is arena exclusive is kind of a trash fire. The client is designed to get you to draft. You play constructed to grind gold to draft, and they're hoping you say "this sucks" and just pay real money to draft more than once a week.

Yes, some people say you can draft infinitely for free or for very cheap, in theory. This is wrong. You can not do that. Someone else might be able to, but you specifically can not do this. It is impossible. Anyone telling you they can do this is lying to you unless they're streaming themselves doing it. Do not have this as a goal, it will ruin your enjoyment of drafting. Be prepared to pay full $ price for each draft, and then it won't feel like you're being literally robbed every time you lose a game like that other poster in this thread.

That said, drafting is pretty fun, and in paper, if you want to draft, you get to do it once a week at FNM, it always costs $15-$20. Of course drafting IRL also isn't ranked, so you can be matched against players better or worse than you and you don't get punished for winning. OR if you want to do it on MTGO, you have to learn MTGO. So drafting on Arena isn't a bad way to do it. I prefer traditional drafting, since it ISN'T ranked, so you don't get matched against better and better players to artificially push your winrate towards 50%

Edit: This does mean that paying full price for every draft makes Arena only slightly less expensive than a cocaine habit. Probably important to know that going in.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 2, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Just draft once a week like I did starting out and it's free forever

I now draft more often because I win a lot, it seems to have been enough practice

Yeah you gotta do your dailies which requires you to play constructed, does not require you to WIN though, so

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I haven't paid for anything in a couple months, and I drafted the last few sets quite a bit. Just never buy cosmetics unless they're on sale for a couple hundo gold, or unless they're really really worth it

One of the Wednesday events gave me the Oro avatar, lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think I'm gonna sink gold into the decathlon, I'll just go into hibernation for a bit until MOM, I have enough for the mastery pass plus a few drafts already so I won't have to buy the play bundle I think

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
This is three drafts now that I p1p1 a siege veteran and then I draft and draw like poo poo every game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I used to have a very low opinion of drafting and threw gold at pack bundles, but a while back I went "gently caress it, I'm gonna draft" and wound up trophying BRO premier, then trophied again in SNC quick draft. Both times I went Gruul.

My advice: always pick Gruul. Red & Green if you want to get mean. (This is less than stellar advice. Do it anyways, if you want to rule, draft some Gruul.)

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
complaining about decks is ABSOLUTELY not the purpose of this thread. In fact, it is the worst part of this thread. It really sucks rear end to see a bunch of posts on a thread you follow and it’s just a bunch of whining about easily remedied stuff. Don’t like a deck? Play a deck that specifically counters it.

Or, and this is may be crazy, but just accept the game as it is and work AROUND it instead of of constantly banging your head AGAINST it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

imagine dungeons posted:

complaining about decks is ABSOLUTELY not the purpose of this thread. In fact, it is the worst part of this thread. It really sucks rear end to see a bunch of posts on a thread you follow and it’s just a bunch of whining about easily remedied stuff. Don’t like a deck? Play a deck that specifically counters it.

Or, and this is may be crazy, but just accept the game as it is and work AROUND it instead of of constantly banging your head AGAINST it.
You could be right but the other guy made three whole posts to prove that he is correct in being mad all the time, so I'm not sure what to believe

Anyway I think I'll try the Jump In! thing, I'm not interested in doing the whole Decathlon because I don't like competitive constructed in the slightest, but normal Jump In! rules, specifically because it's super random, unexpected things are fun

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been enjoying the Jump In event, at least the two goes I've had of it. I've got on well with Jump Start anyway and this is just short of too much Alchemy jank. I just went 7-0 after picking two BW packs which seem to really work well together, could put together some ridiculous engines, mostly when I have Ghoulish Procession out and can tick up Flaming Fist Officer or Minthara each turn with the zombies expiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Simply Simon posted:

You could be right but the other guy made three whole posts to prove that he is correct in being mad all the time, so I'm not sure what to believe

Anyway I think I'll try the Jump In! thing, I'm not interested in doing the whole Decathlon because I don't like competitive constructed in the slightest, but normal Jump In! rules, specifically because it's super random, unexpected things are fun

:yeah: Decathlon Jump in doesn't seem so rewarding. You don't even get to keep your deck. You break even at 3 and go positive at 5 wins, if you value old boosters at same value as the latest ones. I personally don't. Maybe if it was old junk booster per win.
Basic Jump in is fun though. Reasonably balanced and relatively low power levels. And you get to keep your junk.