Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Running Odin/White Tiger and X-Mansion gave me Wong.

canyonero posted:

Any suggestion for a Maria Hill replacement? I get she feeds Dino more cards, and 2/3 isn't bad for curve either.

Cable is good for feeding cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Got Winter Rogue, who I don’t have already. I wanted at least one of them so this worked out

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

canyonero posted:

Any suggestion for a Maria Hill replacement? I get she feeds Dino more cards, and 2/3 isn't bad for curve either.
You can put cable in, but I'd be interested in Nightcrawler. Having a second one drop is really nice in a deck without six costs and the deck lacks a plan for sanctum santorum + nightcrawler can be cute with X.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 1, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

goferchan posted:

Also I finally got Mysterio, way down near the bottom of the barrel of remaining S3 cards. I was surprised looking through popular decks that he's not really being run anywhere right now though -- I wouldn't have thought the 1 power nerf hurt him that much, I guess he just doesn't jive with anything else in the meta currently?

He’s just not that great. He’s ok in a Patriot deck since you can power up the copies, but there are just too many better cards for that deck that it’s not worth it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think the major issue with mysterio is how strong surfer variations of sera are compared to vanilla variations. The Angela + Bishop + Mysterio combo isn't something people want to do anymore and not just because it lost two points.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I just hit Collector’s Reserve. I didn’t know how good I had it before. Getting a title does not feel good. I’d feel better about it if they upped how many Collector Tokens I get.

Edit: I should complain more often. I opened my second one and got Luke Cage. Still wish I could find Mystique.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 1, 2023

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Wait until you get credits. Wow, 300 credits, that is exactly the same as throwing half the 600 credits I spent getting this box in the garbage!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Still haven’t got a single Christmas variant, speaking of

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

kaschei posted:

Wait until you get credits. Wow, 300 credits, that is exactly the same as throwing half the 600 credits I spent getting this box in the garbage!

I'd still rather have a 50% credit refund than a title, portrait, or any other item with zero gameplay value.

Boosters from Season Caches also suck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got the Ebony maw and Rogue holiday variants and I’m pretty pleased with that, didn’t have rogue beforehand.

Also just got Hell Cow which is great because I love playing a discard deck!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd still rather have a 50% credit refund than a title, portrait, or any other item with zero gameplay value.

Boosters from Season Caches also suck.

I don't think they'll change the season cache boosters to another reward that significantly speeds up progression, but IMO they should at least give "Wildcard Boosters" (name subject to change because there is almost certainly some obscure X-Men reject character named Wildcard) that let you level up whatever you want

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

goferchan posted:

Also I finally got Mysterio, way down near the bottom of the barrel of remaining S3 cards. I was surprised looking through popular decks that he's not really being run anywhere right now though

Mysterio is great with the destroy package, really great on the hot location, good with Bishop. But otherewise risks clogging lanes.

Speaking of, I have had a lot of success with this deck, climbing from 60 back up to 70 very quickly.

quote:

# (1) The Hood
# (1) Nova
# (2) Angela
# (2) Carnage
# (2) Mysterio
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Absorbing Man
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Enchantress
# (5) Sera
# (5) Aero
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTm92YSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW5nZWxhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJDYXJuYWdlIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNeXN0ZXJpbyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTGl6YXJkIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJLaWxsbW9uZ2VyIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBYnNvcmJpbmdNYW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNoYW5nQ2hpIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJFbmNoYW50cmVzcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2VyYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQWVybyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSG9vZCJ9XX0=
#

Gamma Labs turns Mysterio into a 2/16 with upside for Carnage, you were planning to destroy Hood and Nova anyway, so there is very little investment in the early game to get a decent number of Hulks. And then you have the means to destroy theirs.

There’s a pretty fun mini game of deciding how many early game cards do you invest in Gamma Labs. Since everyone is probably running Shang Chi, if you overcommit you fall behind on other lanes. Unless you also get Cosmo or Armor down. But now you’ve invested 3-4 cards in winning a single lane.

Absorbing Man is really powerful for the options it gives. People don’t play around double Enchantress or double Shang Chi. And they really don’t play around turn 5&6 Aero. It also spends a lot of games in my hand as a dead draw.

This deck has required me to pay a lot more attention to priority. Sometimes you want to end going first and sometimes you want to end going second. It’s weird playing games where I am trying to fall behind but not too far behind.

We discussed Galactus earlier and I’ve faced quite a few since, to my surprise. I think a lot of people down at my rank don’t know how to play the deck. You can see Galactus coming from a mile away and then I keep winning because Aero puts him in a populated lane, or they play Death early into my Shang Chi or Hobgoblin too late into me filling the lane.

I’m having a hard time improving on snapping. Since this deck depends on drawing the right tools to counter an opponent, I often don’t know until late if I have what I need to win.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kaschei posted:

I love credits! The way reserves work is every 2400 credits gets you a card. If I could consistently get 400 credits every four caches I'd be done much sooner!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you want to win gammas, you need armor/cosmo to drop on 4 and you need priority so assuming the opponents racing you at gamma anything like squirrel/debrii is great for that. I'm having success with patriot right now specifically because brood does so much work on gamma lab.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gamma is working great with my Knull deck. I drop a few low cards and Electro on there to get some Hulks, and then any Hulks that get blown up feed Knull so I don't feel bad even if they get all of mine, but my Shang Chi certainly gets all of theirs

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

goferchan posted:

(name subject to change because there is almost certainly some obscure X-Men reject character named Wildcard)

Apparently, yes. Peter Parker from Earth-982.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The locations that replace both decks with random cards and make you draw from your opponents decks are the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen in a card game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Nah, sometimes you just gotta let chaos reign.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The locations that replace both decks with random cards and make you draw from your opponents decks are the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen in a card game.

You have to be real careful with that second one, too. If you play an effect that impacts your deck, it impacts your deck, which your opponent is drawing form. I.e. don't use Mr. Negitive when that location appears unless you want to give your opponent a bunch of free stuff.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Wow, finally got my first series 5 card. And it’s…thanos?? He’s just a meme card right? I don’t think I’ve ever lost to that weird beast/falcon thanos zoo deck

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah, they're fun and keep you from getting too much into a routine. As long as they don't show up every other game or something

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Nah, they're fun and keep you from getting too much into a routine. As long as they don't show up every other game or something

I think the general location randomness accomplishes this fine though, without making the game completely arbitrary and deck building meaningless. I find Ego less obnoxious.

It would be hilarious to make the "draw from opponents deck" a featured location though, so you'd have folks just building the worst decks for a day and retreating when the location isn't in the game.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 1, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Skippy McPants posted:

Apparently, yes. Peter Parker from Earth-982.

Got 'em!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I learned today that if you play real Mysterio on Bar Sinister, the copies do not turn into 4 power cards.

buffalo all day posted:

Wow, finally got my first series 5 card. And it’s…thanos?? He’s just a meme card right? I don’t think I’ve ever lost to that weird beast/falcon thanos zoo deck

Apparently there is a decent Zoo and a decent Lockjaw deck that use Thanos. https://marvelsnapzone.com/marvel-snap-metagame-tier-list-december-26th-2022/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is there a reason why Agatha can't end turns on her own? She plays all the cards, so it's not like I have any say in what happens, why do I still have to hit that button?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I think the general location randomness accomplishes this fine though, without making the game completely arbitrary and deck building meaningless. I find Ego less obnoxious.

It would be hilarious to make the "draw from opponents deck" a featured location though, so you'd have folks just building the worst decks for a day and retreating when the location isn't in the game.

I had the "replace your deck with random cards" location give me Agatha once, who I promptly drew and who just destroyed my game. Completely owned by RNG

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oasx posted:

Is there a reason why Agatha can't end turns on her own? She plays all the cards, so it's not like I have any say in what happens, why do I still have to hit that button?

So you can snap or retreat.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Bottom Liner posted:

Weirdworld is one of those that always seem to pop up when I want to playtest something....

I had an amusing play, but I failed to take advantage of it. I didn't snap on a turn 3 Doc Ock play into Osborne Tower :doh:

I should have won 2 cubes on that one if I paused and thought about it for a second.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I just had my opponent play, Wong, against my Aero, despite them having a Daredevil that showed them what I was doing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

buffalo all day posted:

The best part of Thanos is the stones. The worst part of Thanos is the stones. Having that much extra in your deck makes it hard to get the cards you need and playing the stones all out requires a lot of board space that a lot of times just doesn't happen.

He can be fun to play but hard to win.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

RevKrule posted:

The best part of Thanos is the stones. The worst part of Thanos is the stones. Having that much extra in your deck makes it hard to get the cards you need and playing the stones all out requires a lot of board space that a lot of times just doesn't happen.

He can be fun to play but hard to win.

The lockjaw deck seems fun, I’m definitely crushed for board space every time. I almost want to run killmonger just to clear my own dudes.

Also somehow ended up with all the winter variants except rockslide? I guess I bought the sunspot bundle so I’m officially a whale now but it still feels like I got lucky.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

buffalo all day posted:

Also somehow ended up with all the winter variants except rockslide? I guess I bought the sunspot bundle so I’m officially a whale now but it still feels like I got lucky.

Yeah, with the same bundle I have just been 1/5 so far (with 2 different kind of variants). I did get vanilla Rogue as a card, so that's good enough for me.

And I got that bundle after having just paid for a single season pass so far. I'm not a whale, I'm just a patient mammal! Boy, did I spent those additional tokens quickly tho.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 1, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I got Winter Patriot through pure luck, but then Winter Debrii (which has her on a snowboard) showed up in the shop and they go great together.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I just went 1-2 versus a Galactus deck that was spamming emotes :(.

and gained 2 cubes :slick::slick::slick:

Also: Wave, Galactus, Spiderman, Big Stuff is the most toxic combo in the game, thank you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quackles posted:

I got Winter Patriot through pure luck, but then Winter Debrii (which has her on a snowboard) showed up in the shop and they go great together.
I just got Winter Abomination. I have been wanting Patriot for at least two decks but he has not been a card I have pulled or that has shown up in the store.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Only marginally related to Snap, but Defector.com put out their annual "What Horrible Things did we do to our penises this year," got to this entry and heard Devil Dino's roar in my head.

Defector.com posted:

PLAYING WITH A TOY DINOSAUR AND MADE IT BITE HIS PENIS

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Shuri into Dr Octopus is hilarious. I just had this person snap me back because my 20 power Dr Octopus pulled Shang Chi and got himself killed, but then I had Taskmaster who was also 20 power.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trying to finish out these win-location-with-one-card missions without losing cubes is proving to be fun for my series-1, ~140CL deckmaking. Makes me wish that I knew more about the general strategies of deck games, rather than rediscovering them clumsily a bit at a time!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Subjunctive posted:

Trying to finish out these win-location-with-one-card missions without losing cubes is proving to be fun for my series-1, ~140CL deckmaking. Makes me wish that I knew more about the general strategies of deck games, rather than rediscovering them clumsily a bit at a time!

At that low a level your best best is probably a Hulk deck, but if you have all the cards for this (they're all Series 1) you can try Spectrum Ongoing:

Ant-Man, Nightcrawler
Armor, Colossus
Cosmo, Mr Fantastic, Captain America, Punisher
Namor
Klaw, Professor X
Spectrum

With backup from Mr F, Klaw and Spectrum you'll often be able to win a lane just with Namor or Prof X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Games finished on turn 4 and later count towards that mission progress. Same with "win location with 10 or less power". You can intentionally retreat on turn 4 just to get the missions done more quickly.