Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Doom Rooster posted:

The art style is obviously tumblr horny fanart style. The argument was whether it was fair to call it “2014 tumblr stink”, and if so, whether that was what prevented it from being narratively engaging.

Of course stink is appropriate. How many baths are in the game? I thought so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

magic points are dumb. if you want to cast spells you should have to prepare them beforehand from your spellbook and memorize them into spell slots :colbert:

Good news! Dark Souls 1&2 use this system! Another reason 3 is the worst in the trilogy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aphrodite isn't wearing clothes? Someone call a cop this has never happened before

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FACT: This illustration is the horniest in the whole game

look behind the character

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
yowza more like aphrotitty

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Good news! Dark Souls 1&2 use this system! Another reason 3 is the worst in the trilogy.

Here's I think my most inflammatory video game opinion:

It's too bad Elden Ring wasn't as good as Dark Souls 2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rutibex posted:

magic points are dumb. if you want to cast spells you should have to prepare them beforehand from your spellbook and memorize them into spell slots :colbert:

Final Fantasy made a dreadful mistake dropping Vancian Magic after 3. FFXV at least kinda rectified it since you do have to prepare your spells.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's I think my most inflammatory video game opinion:

It's too bad Elden Ring wasn't as good as Dark Souls 2.

Being as good as Dark Souls 2 just means bad.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Fantasy made a dreadful mistake dropping Vancian Magic after 3. FFXV at least kinda rectified it since you do have to prepare your spells.

:haibrow:

FF1 being a weird ripoff of D&D adds to its charm immensely. Then they got lazy and decided it needed a story

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

The only good JRPG is Resonance of Fate. Everything else is bad. Especially Chrono Trigger.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm getting sick of non-pure-action games where you can die quickly in long fights. Recent examples are V Rising and Grounded. If I'm fighting a boss or tough enemy or whatever in an action game then I don't mind having to dodge everything and not get hit and having to try again if I mess up and get 2-shot. Cause that's what the game is. But in a big open world game I am well over being 2-shot by enemies. V Rising was so egregious with this I stopped playing it. You'd prep all your stuff, make your way over to the boss (, wait for loving night if it was day) and then spend a couple minutes dodging all manner of bullshit from the boss and deal with adds only to get hit a couple times and die right near the end of the fight, especially if the boss had some late-stage new ability. Now you gotta run over to pick up your gear, maybe make new consumables, maybe wait for night, maybe you even have to go get your gear repaired. It's just like, gently caress me, why are we doing this in a game that's not about this? Grounded does this too with later bugs having huge health and damage so you have to dodge or block perfectly for so long only to just straight up die if you mess up. It's really draining and it's like, this game could just be more chill, you know? I enjoy the base building and the progression and the exploration you don't have to 2-tap me to keep my attention. If you want a long fight then fine make it an attrition fight, don't make it a fight where I gotta execute forever. What is gained?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been playing Orcs Must Die 3 and it's pretty drat fun, singleplayer or co-op it doesn't matter, gratuitous cartoon violence is the best

They added a trap that's just a huge metal ball on a spring that rolls through the massive enemy horde. GOTY

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

The art style is obviously tumblr horny fanart style. The argument was whether it was fair to call it “2014 tumblr stink”, and if so, whether that was what prevented it from being narratively engaging.

Another "art style = horny" poster has hit the thread

E: a third below! What is it about roguelikes that get people so horned up??

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 1, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

satanic splash-back posted:

Another "art style = horny" poster has hit the thread

The interesting thing is that I don't think I ever called the art-style horny, but the amount of people extrapolating that are telling on themselves.

"This art style reminds me of gross nerd fan-comics"

"Um excuse me, it's normal to jerk it to Greek gods have you ever even been to a museum maybe you should be less online and touch grass"

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 1, 2023

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrow:

FF1 being a weird ripoff of D&D adds to its charm immensely. Then they got lazy and decided it needed a story

FF1 has an implied story that's basically Xenogears if you read between the lines.

I love it, FF1 is an absolute gem

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Disco Pope posted:

The interesting thing is that I don't think I ever called the art-style horny, but the amount of people extrapolating that are telling on themselves.

"This art style reminds me of gross nerd fan-comics"

"Um excuse me, it's normal to jerk it to Greek gods have you ever even been to a museum maybe you should be less online and touch grass"

Nah nah nah. That’s crap and you know it. You said “2014 tumblr stink” and what else could anyone possibly reason you meant other than horny fan art?

Disco pope: It’s the color of the sky.

Literally any reasonable person: So, blue?

Disco Pope: oh ho ho, I never said blue. You’re extrapolating that because YOU have a thing for blue.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How u gonna perma Elentor, fuckin hell

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doom Rooster posted:

wrong!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdH88uM8bw

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Doom Rooster posted:

Nah nah nah. That’s crap and you know it. You said “2014 tumblr stink” and what else could anyone possibly reason you meant other than horny fan art?

Disco Pope: oh ho ho, I never said blue. You’re extrapolating that because YOU have a thing for blue.

I meant more the kind of fan-fiction where everybody is zany friends or "frenemies" or has a Secret Crush but is too tsundere to ever let it be known and all that TV Tropes kind of stuff that is the bread and butter of fandom types who are stuck on Young Adult fiction. And I loaded it up this afternoon and learned two things:

1) its more fun than I remember and

2) that stuff is definitely in there, at least early on.

People can enjoy "what if Cerberus was a Heckin' Pupperino and the souls of the damned were quirky little guys" if you want, but it feels too cutesy for its own good for my tastes. It has that Tumblry feel of characters needing to be your friends and have a hang-out vibe that doesn't work for me. I don't think it's any hornier than something like Devil May Cry V or Witcher III or a million other games that feature sword-himbos and nude goddesses.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 1, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
heals in mp shooters be like

"oh you got the drop on me/out aimed me? I will just hide and ctrl+z your better gameplay"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Battlefield 1942's medic was great. They got a loving tommy gun.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
well this thread made me load up Hades again and the combat is still really fun AND I got a boner so really its a game that is able to satisfy both bloodlust and horny so is it the best game ever made???? it might be

i do think that horny and bloodlust are hard to get right together tho, maybe a game with like draculas etc did it well but i can't think of any others atm

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Literally A Person posted:

Battlefield 1942's medic was great. They got a loving tommy gun.

killing people with a defibrillator never got old

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

I'm... shocked that someone agrees with me.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I really wish Hades was built around something other than dashing constantly.

Like the optimal sword strategy is to literally never do a normal attack, just dash attack forever. And most other weapons are just as bad. The bow basically has no good reason not to dash-attack all the time because it makes the shot faster to compensate for the time you spent dashing. That you have to reload the 1-shot gun every time you shoot is irrelevant because you just reload during the dash you're definitely going to do after the shot anyway. And if you're not constantly dashing at higher heat then good luck not dying to all the ability spam.

Though I think the most egregious thing Hades does is not give you 2 dashes at the beginning making it so you're not even really playing Hades until you unlock it.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 1, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

iI like when games are like "LOL YOU NEVER COULD HAVE WON BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T DONE THE META PROGRESSION poo poo YET GET FUUUCKED". It's technically still possible but it's still a gently caress you. The difficulty curve shouldn't become easy just because I played the game a bunch, it should become easy because I improved to the point where something is no longer difficult for me.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

iI like when games are like "LOL YOU NEVER COULD HAVE WON BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T DONE THE META PROGRESSION poo poo YET GET FUUUCKED". It's technically still possible but it's still a gently caress you. The difficulty curve shouldn't become easy just because I played the game a bunch, it should become easy because I improved to the point where something is no longer difficult for me.

Metaprogression has been around since the original Rogue and it's great

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Phigs posted:

I really wish Hades was built around something other than dashing constantly.

Like the optimal sword strategy is to literally never do a normal attack, just dash attack forever. And most other weapons are just as bad. The bow basically has no good reason not to dash-attack all the time because it makes the shot faster to compensate for the time you spent dashing. That you have to reload the 1-shot gun every time you shoot is irrelevant because you just reload during the dash you're definitely going to do after the shot anyway. And if you're not constantly dashing at higher heat then good luck not dying to all the ability spam.

Though I think the most egregious thing Hades does is not give you 2 dashes at the beginning making it so you're not even really playing Hades until you unlock it.

This was kinda my biggest issue with Hades too

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I had a friend who was struggling to get through Hades and I told her "just spam dash attack as much as possible" then she beat the game later that day lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
enter the gungeon is still the best roguelike and it's super depressing it, presumably, will never get a sequel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

abigserve posted:

enter the gungeon is still the best roguelike and it's super depressing it, presumably, will never get a sequel.

Agreed but Exit the Gungeon exists

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The best roguelike is Noita and it's super depressing that it'll never get very popular because most people aren't smart enough to understand its wand/spell system

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Metaprogression has been around since the original Rogue and it's great

Yeah turns out not all bad videogame mechanics are modern inventions. I rather know that I'm not good enough and lost because of it then wonder "oh was I suppose to get more meta bonuses before I did this".

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

there are two types of deus ex players. those who go into the womans restroom and those who still go into the womans restroom knowing you are going to be reprimanded.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Floodixor posted:

i do think that horny and bloodlust are hard to get right together tho,

This is the entire premise of Bayonetta

EDIT for content -

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a CRPG that I liked more than Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. It really had it all - open-ended story play, all sorts of branching conditions, crazy hidden loot/areas, and the last boss is basically using your 9th level D&D dudes to utterly murder an entire army of trash :getin:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 2, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In Hades the gods are all portrayed as self-absorbed two-faced schemers, which is true to how they've been depicted for thousands of years, so it's bewildering that someone is like "haha they're all zany friends!"

It's absolutely true that the gameplay is based around dashing a lot, I like that personally but it's true.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Medusa is one of the most cartoon networky zany tumblr fan fiction characters of all time

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Medusa is one of the most cartoon networky zany tumblr fan fiction characters of all time

That side character, who you don't have to talk to at all? Yes

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Fur20 posted:

I'm on team Extreme Video Game Violence. Not, like, visually the way Mortal Kombat does it, but in terms of the content. Fight and kill poo poo, kick your enemies off a cliff, punch the final boss in the face with the trigger buttons until the screen turns red... I think we're an aggressive, omnivorous species, and that's not necessarily a bad thing; we just need an outlet to express our instincts safely. And that's video games!

I always liked the Star Wars ones where you could like force grab the baddies and toss them off a cliff. Force choke never really appealed to me. Blasters are just guns with fancy laser bullets... Lame.

I should probably talk to my therapist about this, but I'm not sure any of it would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

That side character, who you don't have to talk to at all? Yes

Well gosh you don't really need to talk to anyone except hades and your mum, so they're really the only characters in the game that matter.