Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Saagonsa posted:

It's pretty embarrassing to read.

Much like your posts!!!

Real talk - there's nothing that is even remotely close to raging out by discussing a strat and calling out the conditions that cause it to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

Framboise posted:

Managed the Cinderace solo with Slowbro.

Is it even possible to kill that fucker without a cheese strat?

I think the 7 star raids are designed to have specialized mons and strategies. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, myself, as long as somebody does the leg work for me to solo everything. Online raids are just too frustrating for me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this was an interesting wrinkle

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

hotdog feet posted:

I think the 7 star raids are designed to have specialized mons and strategies. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, myself, as long as somebody does the leg work for me to solo everything. Online raids are just too frustrating for me

They make you loving work for those specialty mons no doubt. I kinda feel bad for the younger kids playing the game because I'm not sure they have real sense of strategy except they want the cool bunny. It's oddly an event that caters to people who have at least some involvement in competitive.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
At least there are plenty of bunnies in surprise trade now, so the kids can have those. How I got mine!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HopperUK posted:

At least there are plenty of bunnies in surprise trade now, so the kids can have those. How I got mine!

True nuff'. Best thing about raids is the flood of inevitable breedjects afterwards.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I quite want a shiny so I'm gonna try to breed some good ones to send out.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flopsy posted:

They make you loving work for those specialty mons no doubt. I kinda feel bad for the younger kids playing the game because I'm not sure they have real sense of strategy except they want the cool bunny. It's oddly an event that caters to people who have at least some involvement in competitive.

They took away battle facilities. 7 star raids are our only taste of high level pve.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BitBasher posted:

I would like some help. In all my time playing pokemon I've been the guy that's all the attack all the time. I want to change that. Can you all post some solid raid builds for me to chase?

I'm assuming they are all SpDef/Def/remainder HP.

Here are a few rough archetypes you can aim for:

Bulky Setup Iron Hands
Max ATK and HP, Punching Glove
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Close Combat
Use Belly Drum turn one, use Drain Punch turn two and get all your health back. Don't go up against Psychic, Fairy, or Earth-type pokemon regardless of their tera type. You can do a similar build with Azumarill, or anybody that learns Swords Dance or Nasty Plot.

Debuffer Grimmsnarl
Max HP and either Def/SpDef, Leftovers
- Reflect / Light Screen
- Chilling Water / Spirit Break
- Taunt
- Fake Tears
Build one for each defensive type. Use your screen on turn one (a great move as it lasts through raid boss buff-clearing), then start alternating between your attack-debuffing move and your defense-debuffing move. There are like a million variants here because there are so many niche defensive moves like Safeguard or Clear Smog, but Grimmsnarl is a good flexible all-rounder.

Raid Soloist Gholdengo
Max HP and SpAtk, Leftovers
- Nasty Plot
- Metal Sound
- Steel Beam / Hex
- Recover / Thunder Wave
Spend six turns setting up (or seven with Thunder Wave), then one-shot the boss with your attack move. Folks have been using a similar-ish Slowbro build to beat the Cinderace raids, with Iron Defense/Calm Mind/Stored Power.

A few other general raiding tips:
- At the max level raids, EV training and being level 100 are really important.
- Don't forget to use your cheers, especially if you're playing support.
- When determining your type matchup, ignore the tera type. Try to pick somebody that is defensively good against the raid's base types, not the tera type.
- The boss clears buffs and debuffs, but they're still incredibly important because they have 25x their normal amount of health. You can't use status-only moves once the shield is up, but you can apply debuffs with moves that also do damage, which is why moves like Chilling Water and Spirit Break are so clutch.
- Save up your Tera transform until the boss has its shield up and you've got enough health/buffs to not immediately die. It's a HUGE buff against the defensive shield.
- Unlike in pvp, debuffing the boss is way stronger than buffing yourself, since the boss attacks and is attacked 4x as often as you attack or are attacked. Moves that can burn, paralyze, or reduce accuracy also own.
- Again unlike pvp, speed is almost entirely irrelevant, as you're pretty much guaranteed to take at least half a dozen hits on a harder boss, whether you're faster or not. The only time I've found speed REALLY mattered was against pokemon like Breloom that would put me to sleep before I could use Safeguard.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

They took away battle facilities. 7 star raids are our only taste of high level pve.

yeah but tying the ability to acquire special/favorite Pokémon to it is corny

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Framboise posted:

Managed the Cinderace solo with Slowbro.

Is it even possible to kill that fucker without a cheese strat?

What's the solo strat that you used?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

Here are a few rough archetypes you can aim for:

Bulky Setup Iron Hands
Max ATK and HP, Punching Glove
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Close Combat
Use Belly Drum turn one, use Drain Punch turn two and get all your health back. Don't go up against Psychic, Fairy, or Earth-type pokemon regardless of their tera type. You can do a similar build with Azumarill, or anybody that learns Swords Dance or Nasty Plot.

Debuffer Grimmsnarl
Max HP and either Def/SpDef, Leftovers
- Reflect / Light Screen
- Chilling Water / Spirit Break
- Taunt
- Fake Tears
Build one for each defensive type. Use your screen on turn one (a great move as it lasts through raid boss buff-clearing), then start alternating between your attack-debuffing move and your defense-debuffing move. There are like a million variants here because there are so many niche defensive moves like Safeguard or Clear Smog, but Grimmsnarl is a good flexible all-rounder.

Raid Soloist Gholdengo
Max HP and SpAtk, Leftovers
- Nasty Plot
- Metal Sound
- Steel Beam / Hex
- Recover / Thunder Wave
Spend six turns setting up (or seven with Thunder Wave), then one-shot the boss with your attack move. Folks have been using a similar-ish Slowbro build to beat the Cinderace raids, with Iron Defense/Calm Mind/Stored Power.

A few other general raiding tips:
- At the max level raids, EV training and being level 100 are really important.
- Don't forget to use your cheers, especially if you're playing support.
- When determining your type matchup, ignore the tera type. Try to pick somebody that is defensively good against the raid's base types, not the tera type.
- The boss clears buffs and debuffs, but they're still incredibly important because they have 25x their normal amount of health. You can't use status-only moves once the shield is up, but you can apply debuffs with moves that also do damage, which is why moves like Chilling Water and Spirit Break are so clutch.
- Save up your Tera transform until the boss has its shield up and you've got enough health/buffs to not immediately die. It's a HUGE buff against the defensive shield.
- Unlike in pvp, debuffing the boss is way stronger than buffing yourself, since the boss attacks and is attacked 4x as often as you attack or are attacked. Moves that can burn, paralyze, or reduce accuracy also own.
- Again unlike pvp, speed is almost entirely irrelevant, as you're pretty much guaranteed to take at least half a dozen hits on a harder boss, whether you're faster or not. The only time I've found speed REALLY mattered was against pokemon like Breloom that would put me to sleep before I could use Safeguard.

This is good, thank you. I need to fully train my Grimmsnarl and Gholdengo.

Potato Salad posted:

As mentioned previously, Iron Defense x3, Nasty Plot x3, Attack Cheer, Stored Power. Have your Bro leveled to 100, max EVs in Sp Atk / Defense (or HP, but I think Def is slightly better).

I think this is all you need to solo. I've been doing it for a few days now and plan to stay offline until I max out level candies and such and keep grinding. It takes about 4 minutes to kill one if the shield doesn't pop. Really no risk if the shield does pop thanks to Iron Defense.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Modest Slowbro, ability doesn't really matter
Max SpA and Def EVs
Hyper trained in all stats except Atk
Life Orb

-Iron Defense
-Nasty Plot
-Stored Power
-Slack Off

Max out def with 3 Iron Defenses, then SpA with 3 Nasty Plot. Use the "Go All Out!" cheer and then Stored Power should OHKO and bypass the shield phase.

It took me a couple tries though. I had a nice round with AI Tauros and Arcanine for the double Intimidate and then Arcanine burned it, which helped quite a bit.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The biggest problem I found with Slowbro solos is you absolutely need an Intimidator for consistency. Otherwise because the Defense Cheer only takes effect on your turn you eat a +1 Acrobatics that will lead to your death eventually, because wasting a turb healing will let Cinderace put up the shield.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

TheDK posted:

As mentioned previously, Iron Defense x3, Nasty Plot x3, Attack Cheer, Stored Power. Have your Bro leveled to 100, max EVs in Sp Atk / Defense (or HP, but I think Def is slightly better).

I think this is all you need to solo. I've been doing it for a few days now and plan to stay offline until I max out level candies and such and keep grinding. It takes about 4 minutes to kill one if the shield doesn't pop. Really no risk if the shield does pop thanks to Iron Defense.

I just recorded my last fight for reference - it may still be processing on YT but this is a standard fight with the 'Bro build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOH0sXMlBNE

e: If anyone still needs a Cinderace I can try to host them via link code as long as you don't die a bunch. PM me or hit me on discord at TheDK#8833. All you need to do is not attack or die, so bring something that can heal itself or buff me.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 2, 2023

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Decided to try and get in a last Cinderace raid or two and came across a fair few other Armarouge users who do not at all understand that it is a support mon in this raid and should not at all be attacking (other than with Acid Spray) unless it's a last ditch, all-hands attempt to crawl over the line! Almost like there are loads of children playing or something. :-)

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Beat Victory Road. I actually lost once to Geeta and was very surprised when I got to skip the Elite Four to get to the rematch immediately. Then I met up with the best Pokémon rival and had a battle that ended with my Clodsire versus her Quaquaval, which absorbed Aqua Step and tanked Ice Spinner to win with two Earthquakes. I was pretty happy with this outcome because I'd long since grown attached to Clodsire after having used his Paldaean Wooper form to mow down fairies and such at the start of the game.

Now onto the mysterious Area Zero. I'm honestly kind of excited to finally see what's the deal with this place.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hexmage-SA posted:

Beat Victory Road. I actually lost once to Geeta and was very surprised when I got to skip the Elite Four to get to the rematch immediately. Then I met up with the best Pokémon rival and had a battle that ended with my Clodsire versus her Quaquaval, which absorbed Aqua Step and tanked Ice Spinner to win with two Earthquakes. I was pretty happy with this outcome because I'd long since grown attached to Clodsire after having used his Paldaean Wooper form to mow down fairies and such at the start of the game.

Now onto the mysterious Area Zero. I'm honestly kind of excited to finally see what's the deal with this place.

Congrats it's hands down the best part of the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Clodsire was really an unsung hero of my playthrough, too. Yawn, massive tankability, and great typing. Plus, after getting the IV judge, it looks like the one I caught at the beginning of the game just happen to have 30 IV in attack and the best spread of any of my core team.

Plus, his sprite looks like an inflatable balloon. Rock on, you crazy diamond!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Surprise trade gave me a charmander with five 'Best' IV values, but he's in a regular pokeball and the other charmander I've got is in a beast ball. Fashion or stats?!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

HopperUK posted:

Surprise trade gave me a charmander with five 'Best' IV values, but he's in a regular pokeball and the other charmander I've got is in a beast ball. Fashion or stats?!

Fashion; bottle caps can get you the stats.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Fashion; bottle caps can get you the stats.

It's kinda what my heart is telling me anyway.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hexmage-SA posted:

I used my clodsire (and wooper) against Nemona in every battle after the first one and she never learned it had water absorb! It was great. Water absorb on a pokemon that should be weak to water moves is a ton of fun 'cause it seems to bait out the AI literally every time. It never gets old.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HopperUK posted:

It's kinda what my heart is telling me anyway.

Worse comes to worse you can breed em' down the line. If you need a 6 IV ditto I have a spare in Sw/Sh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Worse comes to worse you can breed em' down the line. If you need a 6 IV ditto I have a spare in Sw/Sh.

Aw thanks! I'll bear it in mind

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Random shiny Cubchoo! :woop:

I've beaten my personal record for most wild shinies found in a single core Pokemon game! (The record was 1, which I set last week.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Random shiny Cubchoo! :woop:

I've beaten my personal record for most wild shinies found in a single core Pokemon game! (The record was 1, which I set last week.)

Keep it unevolved! Shiny beartic is not all that IMO. Congrats:)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

holy smokes I got four herbas mystica from a 6* Blissey and I didn’t even have a sandwich up. I'll have to keep an eye out for that in the future

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The capricious ways of Wonder Trade have bestowed upon me a Japanese Ditto, so hey that saves me waiting until April to retrieve my japanese blue blob boy.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The capricious ways of Wonder Trade have bestowed upon me a Japanese Ditto, so hey that saves me waiting until April to retrieve my japanese blue blob boy.

Oh hey mines french. :hfive:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

indigi posted:

General support Grimmsnarl@Light Clay. SpD/D/HP, reflect, light screen, chilling water, spirit break

you could make two separate SpD/hp and d/hp ones depending on the raid but I haven't bothered yet

Thanks!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is there a way to see what current sandwich buffs you have active?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mesadoram posted:

Is there a way to see what current sandwich buffs you have active?

Right on the D-pad

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Having played Violet quite a bit now, I have to say that Gen IX is quickly becoming one of my favorite gens. Both in terms of the Pokémon and in terms of the story and gameplay.

Also, Area Zero is probably one of my favorite Pokémon locations.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 2, 2023

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RatHat posted:

Right on the D-pad

:hfive:

Got my Cinderace, but I am never doing that one again. It took a couple of tries, and the pubbies are not getting this fight :smith:.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What’s the fastest way to get to 100? Is it killing chanseys at the snow place?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Exp candy all day every day.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Candies for sure. The 5- and 6-star raids will give you plenty of L and XL with some Rare Candies sprinkled in. Just use them to take any mon to about 90ish and then rare candy them the rest of the way.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
My Arctibax evolved into Baxcalibur, and I want to shake the hand of whatever madman decided to make a Pokémon not just inspired by Godzilla, but also designed around an attack that parodies the flying Godzilla scene in Godzilla vs Hedorah. It's so specific it's bizarre. It's a whole Pokémon designed around one scene in one Godzilla movie to make the silliest thing Godzilla ever did even more ridiculous. loving madness.

The designer probably thought it was silly that Godzilla could fly but still thought the concept of Godzilla rocketing his spines into a monster was cool, so he tried to brainstorm ideas to make it work on the ground and came up with "what if he was sliding on ice?," which is why Baxcalibur is an Ice-Type.

I'm naming mine Banno (or some variation of that) after the director of Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Hexmage-SA posted:

My Arctibax evolved into Baxcalibur, and I want to shake the hand of whatever madman decided to make a Pokémon not just inspired by Godzilla, but also designed around an attack that parodies the flying Godzilla scene in Godzilla vs Hedorah. It's so specific it's bizarre. It's a whole Pokémon designed around one scene in one Godzilla movie to make the silliest thing Godzilla ever did even more ridiculous. loving madness.

The designer probably thought it was silly that Godzilla could fly but still thought the concept of Godzilla rocketing his spines into a monster was cool, so he tried to brainstorm ideas to make it work on the ground and came up with "what if he was sliding on ice?," which is why Baxcalibur is an Ice-Type.

I'm naming mine Banno (or some variation of that) after the director of Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Im glad Im seeing more people appreciating this bc yeah it is so oddly specific it cant possibly be an accident lmao