Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah all the growth in us vehicle beltlines has been to keep up with trucks ever increasing ground clearance bringing the frame rails right to sedan-driver face height

Also, just gonna leave this here

US:

Yeah, but there are more pedestrians in Europe!

Wait... :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
The US is just driving like it plays football - increase the technology for protecting people and compensate by driving and playing more recklessly.

Take off the pads in cars and football and see who keeps playing.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
10 mm A-pillars, that's all I'm saying.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

If the the "me sowing / me reaping" tweet was a Vine

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Wait, does that graph for the US show the numbers in thousands? So is that 6,529 deaths in 2020 or 6,529,000?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DelphiAegis posted:

Wait, does that graph for the US show the numbers in thousands? So is that 6,529 deaths in 2020 or 6,529,000?

Actual numbers. Total driving related deaths are in the range of 50k.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

snugglz posted:

there certainly are pedestrian safety crumple zones in modern cars — a big reason new cars have such ridiculous proportions that make 19” wheels look “normal” is a side-effect of the hoods now having to be a minimum of 20mm from the top of any “hard point” in the engine bay — but that requires a ton of proportion changes. C&D broke it down here but here’s a TLDR:

You're right, it's really just an optical illusion how big American cars are compared to say a citreon. That extra 0.8" in required height really makes a difference!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Found on Discord, had to upload it to youtube since it's just slightly too long for Imgur.

Enjoy an exciting new experiment in chicken preparation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df_h1HIqNdQ

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

Found on Discord, had to upload it to youtube since it's just slightly too long for Imgur.

Even with all the advances China has made, they still can't crack the secret of popcorn chicken.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

PurpleXVI posted:

Byford chicken

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Groda posted:

Byford chicken

lmao

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd love to know what they're saying, especially the closing words of the chicken gunner.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Captain Hygiene posted:

And that's from before I installed the spikes!

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Captain Hygiene posted:

And that's from before I installed the spikes!

Hell Yeah!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DelphiAegis posted:

Yes every year is an absolute genocide of pedestrians by the car owners.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I think ingested just passed degloved on my least favorite accident descriptions

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh wtf thats what the video upthread was about

i thought a bag got sucked in or something inanimate

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

KoRMaK posted:

To be fair it was inanimate very shortly after it was sucked in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Azhais posted:

I think ingested just passed degloved on my least favorite accident descriptions

I feel like "after" is making it sound especially bad. I'd hope that the poor person was thoroughly dead while still in the "during being ingested" part of the timeline.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Azhais posted:

ingressed maybe?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

The video is of a cone getting ingested.

The person is a different incident.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'died subsequent to aerosolization'

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I thought it was actually pretty difficult to get sucked into an airplane engine, and that depictions of it in cartoons and the like are greatly exaggerated?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

if properly calibrated is actually one of the safest things in this thread

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Google Jeb Bush posted:

if properly calibrated is actually one of the safest things in this thread

Safety practices aren't about if, they're about when.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought it was actually pretty difficult to get sucked into an airplane engine, and that depictions of it in cartoons and the like are greatly exaggerated?

Well what do you think now?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mister Speaker posted:

Absolutely not. This isn't even the first time it's happened. There was a guy who almost got sucked into a military jet quite a while back who got really lucky the intake was only a bit bigger than his body so he wedged in long enough for his helmet to come off and destroy the engine. A commercial jet with exposed blades the size of a man though? Full cartoon.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Cat Hatter posted:

Absolutely not. This isn't even the first time it's happened. There was a guy who almost got sucked into a military jet quite a while back who got really lucky the intake was only a bit bigger than his body so he wedged in long enough for his helmet to come off and destroy the engine. A commercial jet with exposed blades the size of a man though? Full cartoon.

It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Talking about this A-6 Intruder incident on a carrier?

LOL at this quote from one of the sailors about it: "It took almost three minutes for him to push his way out of the intake after being sucked in. Needless to say, I don’t think he was seen on the flight deck for the rest of the cruise.”

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Talking about this A-6 Intruder incident on a carrier?

LOL at this quote from one of the sailors about it: "It took almost three minutes for him to push his way out of the intake after being sucked in. Needless to say, I don’t think he was seen on the flight deck for the rest of the cruise.”

Yes. I didn't feel like looking it up but would have probably guessed an A-7. Good thing I didn't guess.

When was that anyway? I remember seeing it on some kind of "I shouldn't be alive" type show.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Yes. I didn't feel like looking it up but would have probably guessed an A-7. Good thing I didn't guess.

When was that anyway? I remember seeing it on some kind of "I shouldn't be alive" type show.

Feb. 20, 1991 aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt, according to this article.

I guess it happening a few weeks into the the air campaign and just days before the ground portion of Desert Storm makes sense.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like the vocab term " injury incompatible with life."

I think I heard it from a water park raft ride incident.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

PhazonLink posted:

wasnt the water raft one the incident with 'masticated'?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, 'mastication' was how they described what happened to the victims of the conveyor when their raft flipped over. That one really stuck with me.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Cat Hatter posted:

Someone either here or in the ai plane thread once posted a link to a faa full accident report of a ground crew being ingested by a commercial airliner complete with pictures and I regret clicking it to this day.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PhazonLink posted:

There was a pretty gruesome train accident involving some teenage girls that used that term.

Don't take selfies on or near railways.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/eHoxdQY.mp4

"Catastrophic engine failure on a United Airlines Boeing 777-200 after takeoff from Denver International Airport"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Harry_Potato posted:

It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end...

.. and if you’re not slowed into a reasonable means your organs go for a little ride inside you anyways after 7kN of force. So a moderately abrupt stop kills you too when falling.

For the thread, this is why fall arrest stuff tears apart in engineered ways to take some of the force out of the user’s fall making it “survivable”. Same goes for the extra stretchy rope for technicians who hang off that equip - the knots cinching up and rope stretching is taking away the initial high forces when the fall gets arrested. I’ve taken a few little slips and it works pretty well as long as you’re not leaving unsafe amounts of slack.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/iJiykN1.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/eHoxdQY.mp4

"Catastrophic engine failure on a United Airlines Boeing 777-200 after takeoff from Denver International Airport"

It's doing exactly what it's supposed to keeping the fire in the combustion chamber. The worse thing that happened was a big chunk of it fell on some poor bastards truck

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 2, 2023