Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Riptor posted:

Right but that's what I'm asking. Did a separate law need to be passed for each of those? I can't imagine so

Not that I know of, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

In an interesting Canadian study, COVID vaccine hesitancy was associated with significant increased risks of a traffic crash.

The American Journal of Medicine posted:

A limitation of our study is that correlation does not mean causality because our data do not explore potential causes of vaccine hesitancy or risky driving. One possibility relates to a distrust of government or belief in freedom that contributes to both vaccination preferences and increased traffic risks. A different explanation might be misconceptions of everyday risks, faith in natural protection, antipathy toward regulation, chronic poverty, exposure to misinformation, insufficient resources, or other personal beliefs. Alternative factors could include political identity, negative past experiences, limited health literacy, or social networks that lead to misgivings around public health guidelines. These subjective unknowns remain topics for more research.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
They won't yield for anybody.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm going to power through Brian Deer's Wakefield profile book for my effortpost this weekend, but the short version is that I don't recommend reading it because the hbomberguy video presents most of the information in a much easier to digest form. Deer did great investigative journalism but loves the sort of relentless, backhanded rhetoric that forms a negative stereotype of muckraker journalism, to the point that it's very hard to pull useful information from the text.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I've been more cautious than most people I know, but my wife and I attended a thanksgiving dinner with some friends the week before thanksgiving and I caught it. Thanks to all the thread recommendations for Paxlovid a few pages back - I mentioned my asthma concern and got the prescription, and oh man that is good stuff. My biggest fear with Covid is all of the heart-related after effects, and a lot of those seem to come from ramping up exercise too quickly. I had to do a fair bit of walking while I was sick to take the dogs out and get them exercise. I'm two weeks out from my negative text, and didn't do any non-walking exercise for the first week. I've been keeping any exercise low intensity and short duration - stationary bike, keeping my heart rate under 130 if I can. Is there any more info on how to minimize post-covid heart complications? Am I safe to step things back up to a normal intensity? Is there any good guidance on what to look out for besides like... heart palpitations?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

road potato posted:

I've been more cautious than most people I know, but my wife and I attended a thanksgiving dinner with some friends the week before thanksgiving and I caught it. Thanks to all the thread recommendations for Paxlovid a few pages back - I mentioned my asthma concern and got the prescription, and oh man that is good stuff. My biggest fear with Covid is all of the heart-related after effects, and a lot of those seem to come from ramping up exercise too quickly. I had to do a fair bit of walking while I was sick to take the dogs out and get them exercise. I'm two weeks out from my negative text, and didn't do any non-walking exercise for the first week. I've been keeping any exercise low intensity and short duration - stationary bike, keeping my heart rate under 130 if I can. Is there any more info on how to minimize post-covid heart complications? Am I safe to step things back up to a normal intensity? Is there any good guidance on what to look out for besides like... heart palpitations?

After three months you risk goes down considerably. I’d take it easy til then. I only just got rid of the cough I had since August when I got got.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Oracle posted:

After three months you risk goes down considerably. I’d take it easy til then. I only just got rid of the cough I had since August when I got got.

I'm completely symptom free, and have been for about two weeks- no lingering cough, no fatigue that I can tell, no brain fog. I'm sitting and checking my resting heart rate now, and it's overall about 8-12 beats above what the 'normal' should be for my age range. I'm continuing to take it easy for now.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
It’s interesting how Covid affects people differently. I finally caught it this week, nearly made it 3 years. I thought it was a normal cold (tested negative first day I had symptoms) until my friend who was at a work event I was also at told me he tested positive. I’m on day 6 now and feel completely fine, some minor congestion that isn’t really bothersome. :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My bout with omi over the summer was like 12 mins of coughing and I was done. My wife felt like poo poo for a week. poo poo’s weird.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My bout with omi over the summer was like 12 mins of coughing and I was done. My wife felt like poo poo for a week. poo poo’s weird.

This was my and my girlfriends experience except I was the one down for a week. We wouldn't have even thought she had Covid if not for the fact that she lost her sense of smell and taste for a few weeks afterwards.

So ultimately I think we both suffered about the same with it, just in different ways.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Was trying to schedule an appointment to get my 4th Pfizer microchip today, but after calling the normal urgent care/walk-in clinics it seems that it's only being distributed at pharmacies/grocery stores? Last year I was able to get the booster at my kid's pediatric office when he got his first doses. Strange how things have shifted, it used to be available everywhere but now it's scaled back.

Covid is still very real for some people. A vaccinated friend got it at Thanksgiving, recovered from the primary symptoms, went on a trip, and then ended up in the hospital for four days with myocarditis from his earlier infection. Thankfully he was in a country with socialized medicine when poo poo got real.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My family received their new boosters at either Kaiser or Safeway (grocery store). My toddlers, who we started in their original series last week, had to go to Kaiser. Not many pharmacies or grocery stores do toddler doses without driving a bit.

Side note: Nothing makes you feel like a terrible parent more than holding down a screaming and thrashing toddler for a shot :(. It was much easier when they were infants and didn’t know their 7 vaccines were coming. Ugh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

IT BURNS posted:

Was trying to schedule an appointment to get my 4th Pfizer microchip today, but after calling the normal urgent care/walk-in clinics it seems that it's only being distributed at pharmacies/grocery stores? Last year I was able to get the booster at my kid's pediatric office when he got his first doses. Strange how things have shifted, it used to be available everywhere but now it's scaled back.

Covid is still very real for some people. A vaccinated friend got it at Thanksgiving, recovered from the primary symptoms, went on a trip, and then ended up in the hospital for four days with myocarditis from his earlier infection. Thankfully he was in a country with socialized medicine when poo poo got real.

I got the Pfizer bivalent booster at Kaiser a few days ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I got Pfizer Bivalent as a walk-in at Shopper's Drug Mart (Alberta/Canada). It wasn't listed anywhere but I phoned them and, yup, no problem.

Safeway was listed on the provincial website, but their walk-ins started two hours later so... tough poo poo, Safeway!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What’s really dumb is Safeway charges $32 for the flu shot if you have Kaiser.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What’s really dumb is Safeway charges $32 for the flu shot if you have Kaiser.

If you have Kaiser, you're supposed to use Kaiser for everything.

Sorry about your grocery discount and reward points. :(

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
That’s safeway doin the charge in this case, not kaiser.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Safeway always charges, it’s just usually fully covered if you have insurance that covers Safeway pharmacy. Kaiser only covers Kaiser pharmacies unless you’re traveling somewhere with no Kaiser locations.

I actually kind of like Kaiser because it’s nice not to have to worry about surprise out-of-network consults or lab techs, but the restriction is super annoying for basic services like vaccinations.

(Also gently caress all for-profit healthcare bullshit)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It seems like the vaccine will soon be more risky than beneficial. Not to say it's especially risky to receive but more and more people are saying that it offers no protection for them

I think the efficacy rates obtained in a laboratory under optimal conditions just wont ever get replicated in real life

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

More and more people are saying [stupid poo poo]

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Pfizer bivalent booster trip report:

I think my body is getting used to this poo poo, because the side effects aren't nearly as bad as the first booster. Minimal headache, some fatigue, and my torso/neck/face are only slightly flushed (always happens when I get sick), compared to the last time when my entire upper body turned beet red, I was extremely dizzy, and had severe chills. Go Go, Gadget Immune System. Probably the worst side effect is that my arm is still a little touch sensitive, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the attendant loving jabbed it in full force.

Also, ended up getting poked at a local grocery store (still free in TX). The pharmacist said that uptake had been slow until recently, and there was a considerable line forming shortly after I got mine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

IT BURNS posted:

Pfizer bivalent booster trip report:

I think my body is getting used to this poo poo, because the side effects aren't nearly as bad as the first booster. Minimal headache, some fatigue, and my torso/neck/face are only slightly flushed (always happens when I get sick), compared to the last time when my entire upper body turned beet red, I was extremely dizzy, and had severe chills. Go Go, Gadget Immune System. Probably the worst side effect is that my arm is still a little touch sensitive, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the attendant loving jabbed it in full force.

Also, ended up getting poked at a local grocery store (still free in TX). The pharmacist said that uptake had been slow until recently, and there was a considerable line forming shortly after I got mine.

Nothing like weird, racist paranoia to get people in the door, I guess? (Everyone seems freaked out about China despite the fact we've been doing *checks notes* absolutely nothing for over a year in most of the West) For what it's worth, I've been getting the shots and boosters basically as soon as possible throughout, and I was only eligible for the bivalent as of the 22nd, and I got as soon as I had consecutive days off that didn't land on a holiday.

My reaction to the Pfizer bivalent was much the same as yours... way, way less in the way of side effects than the others. A bit of fatigue, a low-grade fever in the first 24 hours, and then pretty much back to normal the 24-30 hour mark, instead of getting laid out for the full 48.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Meanwhile, my reactions to the boosters are getting noticeably worse each time, to the point where I’m having to seriously weigh the consequences before I’ll commit to another one. I’ve yet to get COVID, respirator life is real until nasal vaccines come along (and hopefully prove efficacious), but the boosters now lay me out for most of a week, and the last two exhibited some rather alarming symptoms that seem in line with myocarditis. Starting to think I’ve had my last booster until one comes along that is a slam dunk sterilizing-immunity situation.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I have a friend who has gone down the covid doomer rabbit hole and I find myself spending significant amounts of time refuting his bullshit, especially in online group chats we're both a part of.

Examples:

• Covid destroys your immune system and lowers your T-cell count, which makes you more susceptible to both covid and other diseases, which basically means covid is airborne AIDS
  • Covid attacks your nerve cells and destroys them, which makes it airborne parkinsons
  • Covid makes it much more likely for someone to develop diabetes, which makes it... airborne diabetes
  • Covid brainwashes people into irrational fearlessless and complacency, which means it is just like certain parasites that infect insects and alter their behavior to make them spread it more
  • Catching covid makes it more likely that you will catch it again and again, and it will cause permanent damage in your various organs and cripple you.
  • Most covid deaths this year have been vaccinated people, which means the effectiveness of vaccines against the latest variants is questionable (fortunately he's not an anti-vaxxer, but I feel like this is anti-vax-adjacent)

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this stuff, and what your strategy for fighting it has been.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I have a friend who has gone down the covid doomer rabbit hole and I find myself spending significant amounts of time refuting his bullshit, especially in online group chats we're both a part of.

Examples:

• Covid destroys your immune system and lowers your T-cell count, which makes you more susceptible to both covid and other diseases, which basically means covid is airborne AIDS
  • Covid attacks your nerve cells and destroys them, which makes it airborne parkinsons
  • Covid makes it much more likely for someone to develop diabetes, which makes it... airborne diabetes
  • Covid brainwashes people into irrational fearlessless and complacency, which means it is just like certain parasites that infect insects and alter their behavior to make them spread it more
  • Catching covid makes it more likely that you will catch it again and again, and it will cause permanent damage in your various organs and cripple you.
  • Most covid deaths this year have been vaccinated people, which means the effectiveness of vaccines against the latest variants is questionable (fortunately he's not an anti-vaxxer, but I feel like this is anti-vax-adjacent)

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this stuff, and what your strategy for fighting it has been.

Those are pretty wild, even among covid doomers- and they're claims that were more common earlier in the pandemic. One underlying thing to look for is where he's getting this from, and get him to stop using this as a source of information. Denigrating this source and giving them alternate sources of informaton is a key strategy. At the same time, you may also see what psychological need your friend is fulfilling by seeking out and indulging in this information.

That said, if he's chosen to keep going back to the source after having it refuted, though, your options may be limited. If it's a group chat, server or platform, it's probably socially organized around trading in, sharing, and intensifying the covid doom beliefs, and it will be really hard to break him out of it. Challenging their beliefs becomes an ingroup signifier; individuals will periodically go out, get in fights about how the world is doomed by covid, the airborne superebola, and then return to the group to share the story about how the sheeple just won't listen to how right they are. In those situations, refutation just drives the individual further into the group.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 1, 2023

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It sounds cliché, but the best thing your friend can do is log off. My anxiety dropped significantly when I stopped steeping myself in awful news 24/7.

Make no mistake, the world does suck, but being really online fucks up your frame of reference.

Look at any list of types of biases, and tell me doomscrolling doesn't bias your perception of reality in several different ways.
Here's one list: https://cpdonline.co.uk/knowledge-base/safeguarding/types-of-bias/

quote:

Attentional bias

This relates to the practice of paying attention to some things while simultaneously ignoring other things. Although attentional bias can help us focus on the pieces of information that are most important, it can also cause you to disregard other information because of your biases.

Focusing on the doom, ignoring anything good in life. -> Everything is terrible

quote:

Availability heuristic

This is the tendency to overestimate the likelihood of events or have greater trust in ideas that come to mind more easily or are more available in your memory. This could cause you to think certain judgements are correct or overestimate the probability of an event occurring. Information that is easily accessible in your memory can seem more reliable.

Constantly reading about people getting sick with the most horrible, long-lasting impacts. -> Catching covid is likely a death sentence.

quote:

False consensus effect

This is the overestimation of how much other people agree with you or approve of your behaviour.

Only hang out in doomer circles. -> Normalization of the insular nature of it, disbelief that anyone, anywhere could be functioning normally.

Basically the solution to doomerism is:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Examples:

As to the last point are you trying to refute how many vaxxed people died or are you trying to refute implied effectives of the vax? The former is just a number to look up. The latter is comparable to most people who did in car wrecks had seat belts and air bags

as to the rest of it, a) why do you care to "refute" this stuff and b) I guess you need to read the medical journals about all these studies to find out if they're accurate before you waste your time arguing about them

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Examples:

tell him to log off cspam

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

That last one about vaccinated deaths became a right wing talking point in November after an extremely poorly worded Washington Post article with that headline dropped. True story I actually wrote the editorial board of the WaPo and got them to change it through the sheer power of my outraged email and dropping the fact that I'm an epidemiologist in there as well.

The fact is that the vaccines remain effective in preventing COVID, reducing the severity of COVID, and decreasing the likelihood of death from COVID. Someone who has been vaccinated is much, much less likely to die from COVID compared to someone who is unvaccinated. And yet more vaccinated people are dying. How can this be?

It's simple but unitutive math and a slightly misleading definition of the word "vaccinated" that is the culprit.

80% of Americans are vaccinated according to NYT as of October 2022 (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html). This means they received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Only 68% of Americans are fully vaccinated. More troublingly only 34% have received at least one booster.

With that information, we already see the first issue: "vaccinated" means anyone who has had one shot or more and therefore includes people whose initial vaccine course is incomplete.

The other issue of math takes a bit more explanation. Imagine we have a population of 8000 vaccinated people, 2000 unvaccinated people. 1000 of the vaccinated get COVID, 50 of them die. 500 of the unvaccinated get COVID, 40 of them die.

0.625% (50/8000) of the vaccinated population died from COVID in this example while 2% (40/2000) of the unvaccinated population died and yet the number of vaccinated people who died is higher. In spite of this raw difference, unvaccinated people were 3.2 times more likely to die of COVID compared to the vaccinated people.

So in summary:
  • Vaccinated people are, in a raw count, dying more of COVID than unvaccinated people. This is not taking into account proportions and the sizes of vaccinated and unvaccinated populations in the US.
  • The definition of "vaccinated" is slightly misleading and includes people who are not fully vaccinated or boosted. Among people who are fully vaccinated and boosted, rates of death are very, very low compared to unvaccinated populations.
  • Everything I've mentioned hasn't even considered other confounding variables such as the fact that the highest risk people (seniors, people with multiple risk-increasing conditions) tend to be the ones who got vaccinated and the people who didn't are younger
  • The bivalent vaccine is effective in preventing severe disease and death. This has not changed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I still owe y'all a writeup of the Dear book, my apologies for the delay. As I keep chewing through it (it's 360 pages), are there any other antivaxx books folks would like me to read for the bookshelf project?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at the Washington Post literally doing the World War thing of "lol these helmets are useless" or "more armor at the holes" thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Why don’t you buy him an account?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Examples:

Do you have any quotes or chat logs to provide? Have you read the articles supporting his claims? I suspect there are ways you might be misinterpreting what they wrote, because you’re using language that indicates you are (“I feel this is anti-vax-adjacent”) and I think you might be a little hyperbolic in your descriptions — it would be helpful for example to see how your friend uttered the exact phrase “airborne Parkinson’s.” This way we can understand what kind of guidance your friend needs. Stay alive another week!

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 2, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

quote:

Covid destroys your immune system and lowers your T-cell count, which makes you more susceptible to both covid and other diseases, which basically means covid is airborne AIDS

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...D19%20symptoms.

quote:

Lymphopenia was present in 13 of 112 (12%) cases. Five of 35 cases (14%) had Lymphopenia in the later follow-up range of 80–102 days. Serum IgA concentration was the only lab parameter with significant difference between patients with vs without persistent symptoms with reduced serum IgA concentrations in the patient cohort of persistent symptoms (p = 0.0219). Moreover, subgroup analyses showed that patients with lymphopenia experienced more frequently persistent symptoms.

https://jtd.amegroups.com/article/view/52170/html

quote:

At the first follow-up appointment, 40.0% (10/25) of patients still had lymphopenia. Of the 15 patients who were followed-up with twice, the ratio of lymphopenia was 80% (12/15), 60.0% (9/15), and 46.7% (7/15) at 0, 8, and 16 weeks after discharge, respectively. This was mainly due to a decrease in the cluster of differentiation (CD) 4+ T lymphocyte, which was observed in 60% (9/15), 60% (9/15), and 46.7% (7/15) of total patients at 0, 8, and 16 weeks after discharge, respectively. All of the patients were S-RBD and NP IgG antibody positive at the first follow-up appointment. 40.0% (6/15) and 66.7% (10/15) of patients showed a decrease over 50.0% in the level of NP and S-RBD IgG antibodies, respectively, at the second follow-up appointment. The NP and S-RBD IgG antibodies’ levels declined to 44.6% (P=0.044) and 28.1% (P=0.18), respectively. 0 and 26.7% (4/15) of patients turned from NP and S-RBD IgG antibody positive to negative, respectively.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-021-01113-x

quote:

Patients with LC (long covid) had highly activated innate immune cells, lacked naive T and B cells and showed elevated expression of type I IFN (IFN-β) and type III IFN (IFN-λ1) that remained persistently high at 8 months after infection.

quote:

Covid attacks your nerve cells and destroys them, which makes it airborne parkinsons
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02018-4

quote:

In the post-acute phase, patients with COVID-19 had an increased risk of a wide range of incident neurological disorders, including cerebrovascular disorders, cognition and memory disorders (memory problems and Alzheimer’s disease), peripheral nervous system disorders, episodic disorders, extrapyramidal and movement disorders, musculoskeletal disorders, sensory disorders, other neurological or related disorders, and any neurological outcome (a composite outcome of any of the neurological outcomes we studied) (Fig. 1; see the associated paper for the full list of conditions assessed). Overall, we estimate that patients with COVID-19 have a 42% increased risk of developing a neurological sequela in the year after infection, translating to a burden of 7% of infected people.
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abm2052

quote:

Autopsy studies of patients with acute COVID-19 show infiltration of macrophages, CD8+ T lymphocytes in perivascular regions, and widespread microglial activation throughout the brain (3). Single-cell analysis of brain tissue has also confirmed CD8+ T lymphocyte infiltration and microglial activation without evidence of SARS-CoV-2 RNA detection in cells of the brain parenchyma (9).

quote:

Covid makes it much more likely for someone to develop diabetes, which makes it... airborne diabetes.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(22)00078-X/fulltext

quote:

Infection exhibited an increased risk (hazard ratio [HR] 1·40, 95% CI 1·36–1·44) and excess burden (13·46, 95% CI 12·11–14·84) of incident diabetes per 1000 people at 12 months, compared with contemporary controls.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7102e2.htm

quote:

Among these patients, diabetes incidence was significantly higher among those with COVID-19 than among those 1) without COVID-19 in both databases (IQVIA: hazard ratio [HR] = 2.66, 95% CI = 1.98–3.56; HealthVerity: HR = 1.31, 95% CI = 1.20–1.44) and 2) with non–COVID-19 ARI in the prepandemic period (IQVIA, HR = 2.16, 95% CI = 1.64–2.86). The observed increased risk for diabetes among persons aged <18 years who had COVID-19 highlights the importance of COVID-19 prevention strategies, including vaccination, for all eligible persons in this age group

quote:

Covid brainwashes people into irrational fearlessless and complacency, which means it is just like certain parasites that infect insects and alter their behavior to make them spread it more
i don't think covid alters human behavior like toxoplasma does, what's happening is people are rationalizing their own risk behaviors by minimizing or ignoring the consequences of their risk behaviors

quote:

Catching covid makes it more likely that you will catch it again and again, and it will cause permanent damage in your various organs and cripple you.
name me one other virus millions of people have contracted 6 times in 3 years at any point in human history ("the cold" is caused by several different viral and bacterial pathogens)... covid has killed almost 7 million people worldwide in under 3 years, is it so hard to believe that some of the people who get sick but do not die have serious health problems resulting from the infection? you can literally find hundreds of scholarly articles in medical journals describing serious physiological harm from covid infections within seconds of a lazy google search

quote:

Most covid deaths this year have been vaccinated people, which means the effectiveness of vaccines against the latest variants is questionable (fortunately he's not an anti-vaxxer, but I feel like this is anti-vax-adjacent)
as already addressed, yes, this is because there is a larger population of vaccined individuals than unvaccinated individuals but it also suggests that if you're vaccinated you are not necessarily safe from infection and death and basing our pandemic mitigation strategy solely around vaccines when we don't have sterilizing vaccines may in fact be a horrible decision with consequences spanning generations

quote:

why don't you share all the medical journal articles demonstrating covid is actually no big deal?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Rosalind posted:

That last one about vaccinated deaths became a right wing talking point in November after an extremely poorly worded Washington Post article with that headline dropped. True story I actually wrote the editorial board of the WaPo and got them to change it through the sheer power of my outraged email and dropping the fact that I'm an epidemiologist in there as well.

The fact is that the vaccines remain effective in preventing COVID, reducing the severity of COVID, and decreasing the likelihood of death from COVID. Someone who has been vaccinated is much, much less likely to die from COVID compared to someone who is unvaccinated. And yet more vaccinated people are dying. How can this be?

It's simple but unitutive math and a slightly misleading definition of the word "vaccinated" that is the culprit.

80% of Americans are vaccinated according to NYT as of October 2022 (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html). This means they received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Only 68% of Americans are fully vaccinated. More troublingly only 34% have received at least one booster.

With that information, we already see the first issue: "vaccinated" means anyone who has had one shot or more and therefore includes people whose initial vaccine course is incomplete.

The other issue of math takes a bit more explanation. Imagine we have a population of 8000 vaccinated people, 2000 unvaccinated people. 1000 of the vaccinated get COVID, 50 of them die. 500 of the unvaccinated get COVID, 40 of them die.

0.625% (50/8000) of the vaccinated population died from COVID in this example while 2% (40/2000) of the unvaccinated population died and yet the number of vaccinated people who died is higher. In spite of this raw difference, unvaccinated people were 3.2 times more likely to die of COVID compared to the vaccinated people.

So in summary:
  • Vaccinated people are, in a raw count, dying more of COVID than unvaccinated people. This is not taking into account proportions and the sizes of vaccinated and unvaccinated populations in the US.
  • The definition of "vaccinated" is slightly misleading and includes people who are not fully vaccinated or boosted. Among people who are fully vaccinated and boosted, rates of death are very, very low compared to unvaccinated populations.
  • Everything I've mentioned hasn't even considered other confounding variables such as the fact that the highest risk people (seniors, people with multiple risk-increasing conditions) tend to be the ones who got vaccinated and the people who didn't are younger
  • The bivalent vaccine is effective in preventing severe disease and death. This has not changed.

That was a super good post and explanation re: something that's not immediately obvious--thank you!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rosalind posted:

So in summary:

Hell of a lot of words to try to not acknowledge that more vaccinated people are dying than unvaccinated, just like more people die wearing seatbelts + with air bags in cars than without. Everyone with a tiny bit of a brain can understand this concept yet somehow you need to 'refute' facts because they make your preferred messaging narrative a tiny bit more difficult.

Do you want to massage the numbers a bunch more to account for age 0-17 being so poorly vaccinated but such a small amount of deaths vs the heavily vaccinated but most likely to die olds? A quick glance at CDC raw numbers (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm) shows 75.1% of deaths are from age 65+ which are 93% are fully vaccinated & 67% boosted per that nytimes article.
Guess what: old people are most at risk of covid death, we all know this, we've always known it, it's never changed no matter how much you want to play around with narratives about portion of the population that's vaccinated

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 2, 2023

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Hell of a lot of words to try to not acknowledge that more vaccinated people are dying than unvaccinated, just like more people die wearing seatbelts + with air bags in cars than without. Everyone with a tiny bit of a brain can understand this concept yet somehow you need to 'refute' facts because they make your preferred messaging narrative a tiny bit more difficult.

Do you want to massage the numbers a bunch more to account for age 0-17 being so poorly vaccinated but such a small amount of deaths vs the heavily vaccinated but most likely to die olds? A quick glance at CDC raw numbers (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm) shows 75.1% of deaths are from age 65+ which are 94% vaccinated per that nytimes article. Guess what: old people are most at risk of covid death, we all know this.

The "fact" is not what is being refuted, the narrative is. And that narrative is that vaccines don't protect you against COVID, and you should still refrain from things like going out and living your life normally, and anyone who does so has surrendered to the virus due to selfish reasons.

The equivalent would be pointing out that more people die wearing seat belts and with airbags in cars than without, and arguing that therefore the responsible thing is to minimize one's driving.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Rosalind's post does not appear to push a narrative other than refuting the idea that vaccines don't work because most of the people dying are vaccinated. I don't see their post pushing anything along the lines of "live your life normally," please don't misrepresent posts to make the arguments you want to respond to and not the ones being made.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

The "fact" is not what is being refuted, the narrative is. And that narrative is that vaccines don't protect you against COVID, and you should still refrain from things like going out and living your life normally, and anyone who does so has surrendered to the virus due to selfish reasons.

The equivalent would be pointing out that more people die wearing seat belts and with airbags in cars than without, and arguing that therefore the responsible thing is to minimize one's driving.

Minimizing your driving is always the responsible thing to do though?

Not sure this is a good analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Weather‐related car crashes only kill about five thousand Americans per year and yet everyone still recommends not driving in bad weather if you can avoid it.