Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s like how every “quirky” science fiction character has an interest in mid-20th century Earth popular culture. Even First Contact had James Cromwell require his Deep Purple cassette for their space launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This randomly reminds me of something.... Did TNG ever have them go back in history to something that hadn't happened in or before 20th century Earth history? The show takes place in, what, the 2200's? They're exploring the universe, and yet, time after time, there's a holodeck outing involving history that happened on earth, centuries before Jean Luc was born.

Q takes Picard to the start of earth life for a few minutes in the last ever episode.

But its with every other sci-fi show with a budget, its easier to rent out period costumes than design and make alien futuristic ones all the time.
Most have alien cultures wear drab browns and greys.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
DS9 went back in time to our not too distant future and the cast got locked into the ghetto for homeless people.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s like how every “quirky” science fiction character has an interest in mid-20th century Earth popular culture. Even First Contact had James Cromwell require his Deep Purple cassette for their space launch.

Steppenwolf.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This randomly reminds me of something.... Did TNG ever have them go back in history to something that hadn't happened in or before 20th century Earth history? The show takes place in, what, the 2200's? They're exploring the universe, and yet, time after time, there's a holodeck outing involving history that happened on earth, centuries before Jean Luc was born.
Very technically but also in the very first episode, when Q puts the crew on trial in a World War III era courtroom and takes on the appearance of a drug-controlled soldier.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cat Hatter posted:

DS9 went back in time to our not too distant future and the cast got locked into the ghetto for homeless people.

Very near future. The Bell Riots took place in September 2024.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Timby posted:

Very near future. The Bell Riots took place in September 2024.

gently caress yeah, I love catching up to sci fi. Coincidentally, I just saw the other day that Gunbuster takes place this year.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I AM GRANDO posted:

Don't forget Tom Paris using the holodeck to 'restore' a classic car.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SuperTeeJay posted:

Don't forget Tom Paris using the holodeck to 'restore' a classic car.

And Garabaldi on Babylon 5 restored a motorcycle and loved Daffy Duck. And Ivanova loved reading Harlan Ellison, or at least read some Harlan Ellison.

And they had that window based on goatse.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I AM GRANDO posted:

And Garabaldi on Babylon 5 restored a motorcycle and loved Daffy Duck. And Ivanova loved reading Harlan Ellison, or at least read some Harlan Ellison.

And they had that window based on goatse.

Yeah but I don’t think liking Ellison was to have a connection to the 20th century audience considering he was friends with the showrunner (who now runs his estate) and was heavily involved in the writing of the show, albeit most often in weird uncredited ways.

Like it’s a 20th century century reference sure, but it’s because the dude was in the room at the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, agreed. His notability does not reach the heights of Flash Gordon and whatever kitsch Tom Paris loved to get the boomers nodding.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Possibly being the most abrasive person to ever live was not the best way to be remembered as a writer.

Also the bit in his most famous story where the black guy has a huge deformed monkey dick.

Look, as someone who kind of likes Ellison, there’s a lot to not like about him. Mostly him.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Years ago someone told me about a movie - or maybe it was a short story, but I'm pretty sure it was a picture. The premise was that someone finds a mysterious pair of glasses that, when you look at someone through them, show you the last minute or so of your relationship with that person. Does this ring any bells?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Speaker posted:

Years ago someone told me about a movie - or maybe it was a short story, but I'm pretty sure it was a picture. The premise was that someone finds a mysterious pair of glasses that, when you look at someone through them, show you the last minute or so of your relationship with that person. Does this ring any bells?

This feels like a Philip K. Dick short story, but for the life of me it's not coming to me.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Possibly being the most abrasive person to ever live was not the best way to be remembered as a writer.

Also the bit in his most famous story where the black guy has a huge deformed monkey dick.

Look, as someone who kind of likes Ellison, there’s a lot to not like about him. Mostly him.

I can understand huge and/or deformed, but how is a monkey dick fundamentally different from a human dick?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I can understand huge and/or deformed, but how is a monkey dick fundamentally different from a human dick?

He's not actually a monkey, he's just a kind of artificial ape-being made by a sentient AI as a cruel, vindictive joke.

I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream is a hell of a read.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Comedy answer: the last episode of Enterprise was Riker in TNG.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

This sounds kind of like an episode of Twilight Zone, but it was a camera not glasses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Most_Unusual_Camera

VVV :rolleyes:

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 2, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Twilight Zone famously had an episode about glasses

but all they did was glasses things

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

Twilight Zone famously had an episode about glasses

but all they did was glasses things

Yeah until they didn’t

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

And Garabaldi on Babylon 5 restored a motorcycle and loved Daffy Duck.

The motorbike actually appeared in all three PTEN shows that week, as it was the prize in a competition being run by the network. The other two (Time Trax and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues) were both set in the 20th century, but for B5 they needed to find a way to shoehorn it in. Giving Garibaldi an interest in antique motorbikes was the way they chose. His love for Daffy Duck was studio-mandated, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Yeah until they didn’t

I would argue "getting broken" is very much a glasses thing, if my experience says anything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I would argue "getting broken" is very much a glasses thing, if my experience says anything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

The motorbike actually appeared in all three PTEN shows that week, as it was the prize in a competition being run by the network. The other two (Time Trax and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues) were both set in the 20th century, but for B5 they needed to find a way to shoehorn it in. Giving Garibaldi an interest in antique motorbikes was the way they chose. His love for Daffy Duck was studio-mandated, though.

This is the most astounding piece of Babylon 5 trivia I’ve ever heard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

if there's a chance it's actually a comic book, there's a tiny plot aside in the wicked and the divine, where if you take a photo or video of a certain character, nine times out of ten it won't come out, and the other time, it'll show you the person you love most in the world at their moment of death

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I need a complete list of every movie featuring a scene where someone smuggles a gun somewhere in pieces and then assembles it

Mission impossible 5 or 6, Rebecca Ferguson smuggles a gun into an opera in pieces

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Jenny Agutter posted:

Mission impossible 5 or 6, Rebecca Ferguson smuggles a gun into an opera in pieces

And smuggles out my heart in the process

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got a quick one. Old British movie about a motorcycle gang that becomes immortal. Super hot brown haired British chick in a red leather jacket hangs herself to prove her immortality. They ride their motorcycles directly into walls a lot. At the end it turns out they were immortals because of, I think a frog god. The "good guys" break the frog god's totem or something to make them stop being immortal.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Gripweed posted:

I got a quick one. Old British movie about a motorcycle gang that becomes immortal. Super hot brown haired British chick in a red leather jacket hangs herself to prove her immortality. They ride their motorcycles directly into walls a lot. At the end it turns out they were immortals because of, I think a frog god. The "good guys" break the frog god's totem or something to make them stop being immortal.

Psychomania

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thank you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Probably from the 70s, drug smugglers use a pipeline pig to move narcotics across the Mexican border.

Not the Bond movie where they smuggle out the KGB defector, nor the Tony Hillerman novel.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This is most likely from an ‘80s horror anthology TV episode like Tales from the Darkside, but it takes place in the ‘50s.

Three archaeologists (two dudes, one passionate about history, the other one only in it for the fortune and fame, and a woman who is the wife and archaeological partner of the passionate dude) discover a new tomb in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. The locals won’t help them because the tomb carries a mummy’s curse, but the greedy archaeologist doesn’t believe in superstitions. Nevertheless, they all go inside documenting the tomb.

The end of the episode, the greedy dude sets off a booby trap that locks him in the sarcophagus chamber with the mummy while the other two are separated in the adjacent chamber. Pretty sure the booby trap went off because the greedy dude removed a giant jewel from the mummy’s grip, and when he yells about it to the others, they tell him to put the jewel back because of the curse. Greedy dude says again that he doesn’t believe in superstitions only to turn around to see the mummy alive and pissed.

It cuts back to the two archaeologists in the other room and we hear greedy dude screaming and thrashing about until he gurgles and stops.

What was this?

EDIT: Ha, it just came to me: it was a Quantum Leap episode.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0681176/

That was a real dark ending, like the episode where Sam meets the Devil who was impersonating Al.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 11, 2023

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

You Are A Elf posted:

This is most likely from an ‘80s horror anthology TV episode like Tales from the Darkside, but it takes place in the ‘50s.

Three archaeologists (two dudes, one passionate about history, the other one only in it for the fortune and fame, and a woman who is the wife and archaeological partner of the passionate dude) discover a new tomb in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. The locals won’t help them because the tomb carries a mummy’s curse, but the greedy archaeologist doesn’t believe in superstitions. Nevertheless, they all go inside documenting the tomb.

The end of the episode, the greedy dude sets off a booby trap that locks him in the sarcophagus chamber with the mummy while the other two are separated in the adjacent chamber. Pretty sure the booby trap went off because the greedy dude removed a giant jewel from the mummy’s grip, and when he yells about it to the others, they tell him to put the jewel back because of the curse. Greedy dude says again that he doesn’t believe in superstitions only to turn around to see the mummy alive and pissed.

It cuts back to the two archaeologists in the other room and we hear greedy dude screaming and thrashing about until he gurgles and stops.

What was this?

EDIT: Ha, it just came to me: it was a Quantum Leap episode.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0681176/

That was a real dark ending, like the episode where Sam meets the Devil who was impersonating Al.

That one is scarred into my memory from watching that as a kid. Knew what you were talking about by the first sentence in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Quantum Leap was so good, and the off the wall episodes worked surprisingly well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat i must have missed the wacky quantum leaps

all I got were the social justice ones where he plays men of different races and occasionally women

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The supernatural is often real in Quantum Leap, and not just things related to Christianity.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Alan Smithee posted:

all I got were the social justice ones where he plays men of different races and occasionally women

There's a really messed up episode where he leaps into the body of a person with down syndrome and/or multiple personalities. I think it was a season finale, and the twist is that due to electroshock therapy he ends up swapping places with Al at the end.

There's also an episode where he leaps into a monkey IIRC.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Alan Smithee posted:

Men and women of different races covers about everyone you'd reasonably expect him to leap into, aside from the space monkey.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I AM GRANDO posted:

The supernatural is often real in Quantum Leap, and not just things related to Christianity.

Oh yeah. According to the show, vampires and Bigfoot exist.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A friend is having difficulty finding a movie her dad showed her as a child.

quote:

I was no more than 12 years old, (1994), rented vhs from blockbusters, a man was either crucified or hanged and came back to life i think. it seemed like a western, it had what was either zombie cowboys or ghost cowboys. I feel like the lead might have been an identifiable actor but I'm not sure anymore. I'm assuming it was a bit older than 1994 but I'm unsure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

TTBF posted:

A friend is having difficulty finding a movie her dad showed her as a child.

Sounds like Ghost Town from 1988.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095215/

The crucifixion scene might be a flashback to the 19th century where the bad guys crucify the town sheriff to a windmill and torture him before burying him alive.

:nws: due to crucifixion and face gore, I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMhT2Wv4ghs

The buried sheriff does come back to life briefly as a corpse and tells the modern sheriff to avenge his death and the town, which is supernaturally held captive by the bad guys until they can all be disposed of.

Edit: the movie is in English, not Italian. I just couldn’t find that scene in English :shobon:

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 12, 2023